The Shift vs Seven Comparison - Interview

ML512
Fantasy
45th
So with last week's announcement of Shift's new Blue Label gear, there were some comments pointed towards copying Seven for design.

If you're interested: I spoke to Dave Durham, Fox's Creative Director, about this during an interview I did with Ken's switch and the launch of the gear here...

http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/First-Look-Shift-Blue-Label-and-…

|
Motofinne
1/13/2017 12:04pm
Good interview ML! It seems like they really stepped up. I like that they removed the liner from the pants, there is no need of that in a MX pant in 2017!
1/13/2017 12:21pm
Good interview, the gear seems pretty high tech. But the fact still remains that it looks like Seven gear, I know with the material they used it really limits what they can do but I feel like with all the effort that went into it they could of done a better job making it look more original.
Tom711
1/13/2017 12:26pm
I was looking at the new gear in my local shop, I won't be spending my money on it. The pants feel like they're made from some sort of paper and the shirt neck looks like it's been cut with a blunt knife.
kiwifan
1/13/2017 12:27pm
Good interview, the gear seems pretty high tech. But the fact still remains that it looks like Seven gear, I know with the material they used...
Good interview, the gear seems pretty high tech. But the fact still remains that it looks like Seven gear, I know with the material they used it really limits what they can do but I feel like with all the effort that went into it they could of done a better job making it look more original.
No, Seven gear looks like Shift gear ....

The Shop

twotwosix
1/13/2017 12:36pm
The whole "it looks like Seven gear" thing cracks me up.

This is just the new way gear is being designed and Seven got there first. 5 years ago, we weren't saying that "Oh Fox,Thor and MSR gear all look the same because its all baggy and doesn't fit well."
1/13/2017 12:48pm
twotwosix wrote:
The whole "it looks like Seven gear" thing cracks me up. This is just the new way gear is being designed and Seven got there first...

This is just the new way gear is being designed and Seven got there first. 5 years ago, we weren't saying that "Oh Fox,Thor and MSR gear all look the same because its all baggy and doesn't fit well."
I would say Thor was second to the "tight sleeve" thing and they did a good job at making it look unique. When I saw this gear I was reminded of Seven, maybe because the logo looks like seven I don't know (which I know Shift did have it before Seven was a thing). If every gear company starts just slapping their logo on the front of the jersey with tight sleeves I think we're gonna have problems.
twotwosix
1/13/2017 12:58pm
I would say Thor was second to the "tight sleeve" thing and they did a good job at making it look unique. When I saw this...
I would say Thor was second to the "tight sleeve" thing and they did a good job at making it look unique. When I saw this gear I was reminded of Seven, maybe because the logo looks like seven I don't know (which I know Shift did have it before Seven was a thing). If every gear company starts just slapping their logo on the front of the jersey with tight sleeves I think we're gonna have problems.
Get ready for problems then. Laughing

Compression is the new 'it' trend in gear...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2017 1:01pm
twotwosix wrote:
The whole "it looks like Seven gear" thing cracks me up. This is just the new way gear is being designed and Seven got there first...

I would say Thor was second to the "tight sleeve" thing and they did a good job at making it look unique. When I saw this...
Thor's primefit gear was released to the public nearly a year before Seven's Zero Compression jerseys.
twotwosix
1/13/2017 1:04pm
ML512 wrote:
Thor's primefit gear was released to the public nearly a year before Seven's Zero Compression jerseys.
True, but Prime Fit and the tighter Seven stuff vary quite a bit.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
1/13/2017 1:10pm
AXO beat everyone to compression type jerseys, but it didn't catch on until a major company started doing it.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3669th
1/13/2017 2:46pm
Good interview, the gear seems pretty high tech. But the fact still remains that it looks like Seven gear, I know with the material they used...
kiwifan wrote:
No, Seven gear looks like Shift gear ....
I would like to know how you came up with that?
mmcmx
1/13/2017 3:04pm
Just look at Chad's gear from 11,12,13...
RR61114
1/13/2017 3:26pm
80% of moto gear is made in the same factories - All of the brands are seeing what competitor brands are doing so the copy each other thing has been happening for years.... SHIFT did not copy Seven but they share a similar minimalist design aesthetic that I feel is inspired by the traditional sports brands, Nike, Adidas, Under Armor, etc. Its not about tight sleeves, slimmer fits or "compression fits", - its about innovative fabrics, technical materials and construction and creating products that enhance the rider experience and overall performance. I say bravo SHIFT MX - new stuff looks great, keep it up!
Motodave15
1/13/2017 3:57pm
should have called it the- shift: Slevin label

Because its that close of a rip-off
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3669th
1/13/2017 4:03pm
mmcmx wrote:
Im just not seeing it...

this is

2012 correct?

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3669th
1/13/2017 4:05pm
mmcmx wrote:
Im just not seeing it... this is [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/01/13/168899/s1200_2012_la_supercross_chad_reed_wallpaper_1.jpg[/img] 2012 correct?
Im just not seeing it...

this is

2012 correct?

I guess I see the

resemblance...but not the compression part...
1/13/2017 4:14pm
Im beginning to like it but I'm sure that it would look like shit on a bigger guy.
Harambe
1/13/2017 4:28pm
twotwosix wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Yea but Seven had the compression gear for a while before they released it... So I'm guessing Thor recognized that was the way to go and got it to the public before Seven did.
Crush
1/13/2017 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2017 4:34pm
mmcmx wrote:
I don't know how this is even being disputed... The timelines show Shift's aesthetic styling since before Seven was even a company!

Shift had the old octagon-like S logo in 2010 (JGR mx) and then re-intrdocued the angled "S" and the big bold angular clean lines as per the current in 2011 with Reed. Seven was established in 2013 ffs

The only thing that Shift have "copied" is they're now doing compression wear, which, when we all stop sucking each other's brand off, is just underarmour, or skins, or fucking bike shorts.
TeamGreen
1/13/2017 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2017 4:31pm
1. A certain person owes us a disclaimer that might explain why he's so knowledgeable on Fox/Shift gear...
2. That was very cool to hear ...and have the design intent explained so thoroughly was very nice.
3. What factory a product comes out of isn't an issue: the design and quality standards to which it's produced ARE THE issues that I would think matters. I'm thinking this is Fox, they make good stuff. Tho, I do wish more of this stuff was made here.

I'm jus' sayin'...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2017 4:38pm
ML512 wrote:
Harambe wrote:
Yea but Seven had the compression gear for a while before they released it... So I'm guessing Thor recognized that was the way to go and...
Yea but Seven had the compression gear for a while before they released it... So I'm guessing Thor recognized that was the way to go and got it to the public before Seven did.
But the Thor stuff isn't compression. It's a slimmer style fit, but notcompression material. It's also a one piece jersey, not a two piece bib with seperate compression jersey like Seven. (Which has been mentioned multiple times that AXO was the first to do that design).
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2017 4:39pm
Crush wrote:
I don't know how this is even being disputed... The timelines show Shift's aesthetic styling since before Seven was even a company! Shift had the old...
I don't know how this is even being disputed... The timelines show Shift's aesthetic styling since before Seven was even a company!

Shift had the old octagon-like S logo in 2010 (JGR mx) and then re-intrdocued the angled "S" and the big bold angular clean lines as per the current in 2011 with Reed. Seven was established in 2013 ffs

The only thing that Shift have "copied" is they're now doing compression wear, which, when we all stop sucking each other's brand off, is just underarmour, or skins, or fucking bike shorts.
Listen to the interview, it's not compression.
Crush
1/13/2017 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2017 4:41pm
JGR SHIFT MX 2010

The very first Chad Reed replica Shift gear 2011 for TwoTwo.

James in Answer 2012 Outdoors.

Seven launches 2013. This is James' Anaheim 1 gear... Which as a starting point is further away and then they got more like Shift!

ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2017 4:40pm
ML512 wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
True, but Prime Fit and the tighter Seven stuff vary quite a bit.
Exactly.
IceMan446
1/13/2017 4:42pm
Someone post up Malcoms latest instagram post
Crush
1/13/2017 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2017 5:39pm
ML512 wrote:
Listen to the interview, it's not compression.
I don't care that it is or isn't, the slim fit look whatever you want to call it. Like I said, bike shorts, under armour, skins, etc... they did that first. And Seven were behind AXO for MX also.

I'm answering the people saying it graphically looks like this or that...
hvaughn88
1/13/2017 4:52pm
IceMan446 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/01/13/168903/s1200_IMG_0802.jpg[/img]

Hahaha, I love Malcolm. I guess we can narrow down the list of potential gear sponsors he might have in the future though Laughing

Post a reply to: The Shift vs Seven Comparison - Interview

The Latest