The Podium

TerryK
1/9/2011 3:25pm
Who do you think you are coming here and posting something so eloquent and well thought out? There is no place for that kind of think here! Tongue

Great post, but I hope the vitalmonkeys don't get confused!
jndmx
1/9/2011 3:49pm
Well said.....
felpro
1/10/2011 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2011 2:12pm
TerryK wrote:
Who do you think you are coming here and posting something so eloquent and well thought out? There is no place for that kind of think...
Who do you think you are coming here and posting something so eloquent and well thought out? There is no place for that kind of think here! Tongue

Great post, but I hope the vitalmonkeys don't get confused!
Thanks mate. There's more smart guys on here than otherwise. It's just that the outrageous crap gets all the attention.

The Shop

Jake-247
1/10/2011 2:28pm
Thats an awesome post, best one I've seen in ages!
ocscottie
1/10/2011 2:29pm
felpro wrote:
Thanks mate. There's more smart guys on here than otherwise. It's just that the outrageous crap gets all the attention.

"It's just that the outrageous crap gets all the attention."

...and that there the biggest, most frustrating problem around here.
Mutt
1/10/2011 2:32pm
Great stuff.
1/10/2011 2:37pm
Well said, the "podium" spots you refer to should come in the form of prize money. I don't know how much a promotor of an event with 70,000 spectators comes away with,? must be a lot as they do it 3 times-anahiem. I don't think 100k for 20th, 150 for 19th etc is out of line at all. They are all world class athletes. A 2 milion$ purse is not a lot for an event of this magnitude.
Just imagine, sometimes privateers come away with less than before they entered the event. INSANE.
felpro
1/10/2011 2:43pm
I spent the day watching everything. Live streaming for the first time, I got to see it all. I was struck by the quality racing in that LCQ. Jeff Alessi and Simmonds are freakin heroes. All these guys put in so much effort and their bodys are on the line.

The rewards are HUGE for a small few, but that is how life is . . . I want all those guys to be applauded.

1/10/2011 3:32pm
felpro wrote:
I spent the day watching everything. Live streaming for the first time, I got to see it all. I was struck by the quality racing in...
I spent the day watching everything. Live streaming for the first time, I got to see it all. I was struck by the quality racing in that LCQ. Jeff Alessi and Simmonds are freakin heroes. All these guys put in so much effort and their bodys are on the line.

The rewards are HUGE for a small few, but that is how life is . . . I want all those guys to be applauded.

felpro, I applaud your post.
KAWboy14
1/10/2011 3:38pm
must be a journalist or something?
1/10/2011 3:38pm
ocscottie wrote:
"It's just that the outrageous crap gets all the attention."

...and that there the biggest, most frustrating problem around here.
Yes, but the "outrageous crap gets all the attention" only if we choose not to ignore it.
1/10/2011 5:03pm
Damn, I've been disagreed with, touchéd (or is that touched-up?), and towelied all in the one go.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
1/10/2011 5:04pm
I think most on here, think the same as what you have written. We all know that it take Incredible talent and hard work to get where everyone of these riders are. Anyone that bad mouths a rider for "only" getting a 7th or 17th is a complete moron and has probably never raced a day in there life.
RaceFace
1/10/2011 8:19pm
Karma wrote:
Well said, the "podium" spots you refer to should come in the form of prize money. I don't know how much a promotor of an event...
Well said, the "podium" spots you refer to should come in the form of prize money. I don't know how much a promotor of an event with 70,000 spectators comes away with,? must be a lot as they do it 3 times-anahiem. I don't think 100k for 20th, 150 for 19th etc is out of line at all. They are all world class athletes. A 2 milion$ purse is not a lot for an event of this magnitude.
Just imagine, sometimes privateers come away with less than before they entered the event. INSANE.
I agree with what you're saying about the purses being too low.....but did you mean 100k for last or was that a typo? So what would the winner get? A $2million purse would pretty much eat up the gross revenues they take in, if not exceed it.

For starters the crowd number is off. Anaheim holds about 45,000. Phoenix holds 49,000....Dodger stadium holds 56,000.

I would say a large amount of the money goes to renting the facility, hauling in the dirt and building the track. For example, after leaving Dodger stadium, Feld has to pay for the field to be torn up and re-sodded....that's what I read anyway.

The winner in 2009 got $12k and 20th got $2,000. It would be decent if those numbers were $50k and $5,000.

1/10/2011 10:01pm
Karma wrote:
Well said, the "podium" spots you refer to should come in the form of prize money. I don't know how much a promotor of an event...
RaceFace wrote:
I agree with what you're saying about the purses being too low.....but did you mean 100k for last or was that a typo? So what would...
I agree with what you're saying about the purses being too low.....but did you mean 100k for last or was that a typo? So what would the winner get? A $2million purse would pretty much eat up the gross revenues they take in, if not exceed it.

For starters the crowd number is off. Anaheim holds about 45,000. Phoenix holds 49,000....Dodger stadium holds 56,000.

I would say a large amount of the money goes to renting the facility, hauling in the dirt and building the track. For example, after leaving Dodger stadium, Feld has to pay for the field to be torn up and re-sodded....that's what I read anyway.

The winner in 2009 got $12k and 20th got $2,000. It would be decent if those numbers were $50k and $5,000.

Yeah 100 k for "last", altho I don't see it in that way, I prefer to see it as the 20th qualifier for the "show" that the fans pay to watch. Just as other pro sports, everyone who is in the show gets paid, paid enough to make a very good living, one that will support them for a long time as the window to perform is very short.

I had no idea the gross revenues were as little as 2 million, especially now with TV revenue! I would have thought at least 10 m. One would have to wonder if the riders have acccess to the "books." ...oh well 5k would be at least reasonable.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/10/2011 11:37pm
I'd take one post like that per day, vs. hundreds of say-nothing posts.
iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
1/10/2011 11:50pm
Karma wrote:
RaceFace wrote:
I agree with what you're saying about the purses being too low.....but did you mean 100k for last or was that a typo? So what would...

Karma wrote:
Yeah 100 k for "last", altho I don't see it in that way, I prefer to see it as the 20th qualifier for the "show" that...
Yeah 100 k for "last", altho I don't see it in that way, I prefer to see it as the 20th qualifier for the "show" that the fans pay to watch. Just as other pro sports, everyone who is in the show gets paid, paid enough to make a very good living, one that will support them for a long time as the window to perform is very short.

I had no idea the gross revenues were as little as 2 million, especially now with TV revenue! I would have thought at least 10 m. One would have to wonder if the riders have acccess to the "books." ...oh well 5k would be at least reasonable.
When 20th place gets 100k is the day pigs fly.
1/11/2011 12:09am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2011 12:10am
RaceFace wrote:

Karma wrote:
Yeah 100 k for "last", altho I don't see it in that way, I prefer to see it as the 20th qualifier for the "show" that...

iudi2006 wrote:
as he said 15 years ago about a munchkin getting a 10 MILLION$ a year contract from Suzuki to race their aluminum framed EFI 4 stroke on which he completed his 10th outdoor season, and 10th outdoor championship. Tongue
iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
1/11/2011 12:21am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2011 12:22am
Karma wrote:

iudi2006 wrote:
Karma wrote:
as he said 15 years ago about a munchkin getting a 10 MILLION$ a year contract from Suzuki to race their aluminum framed EFI 4 stroke...
as he said 15 years ago about a munchkin getting a 10 MILLION$ a year contract from Suzuki to race their aluminum framed EFI 4 stroke on which he completed his 10th outdoor season, and 10th outdoor championship. Tongue
First off, If you are talking about Carmichael, He was a champion. He won races.

Second, He was paid by Suzuki,Fox,Monster,and other sponsers, Not the promoter.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/11/2011 12:30am
I'd take one post like that per day, vs. hundreds of say-nothing posts.
olds cool
1/11/2011 10:13pm
Karma wrote:
RaceFace wrote:

While it may not be exactly an apples to apples comparison, consider the fact that the posted purse for the Tums Fast Relief 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on Oct. 24, 2010 at Martinsville Speedway was $4,886,673. The posted attendance that day ..............
56,000, which is slightly more than Anaheim but less than Atlanta and several of the other SX rounds held in the larger capacity football stadiums. So, I am going to go out on a limb and say 56,000 is probably close to an average SX attendance. Denny Hamlin won that race and his winnings were $177,375. Bobby Labonte finished last (43rd) and got $66,971 for making the show and completing 197 of 500 laps.

I realize there are variables that make this a less than equitable comparison given NASCAR's ginormous TV deal that is factored into the total purse, along with large contingency payouts, but my point here is that Ray Charles can see that there is a big gap between reality and something I'll refer to as "more reasonable" for events of this magnitude with crowds in the 50,000-60,000 range. I don't know what the minimum purse should be and I don't know what all of Feld's expenses are but there's no way anyone can convince me that professional SX competitors in 2011 shouldn't be able to make a decent living off of purse money if they can consistently make main events. Don't tell me about what their sponsors pay them. If someone has a high paying sponsor(s), then good for them, but the purse issue should stand on it's own.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-147794.html
jeffro503
1/11/2011 11:18pm
Dame felpro!! Awesome write up and a great way at looking at things. very well thought out mate!

Post a reply to: The Podium

The Latest