The New Ram Trucks for hauling your scoots...

TeamGreen
5/9/2014 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2014 8:45pm
Over the last few days I've had an opportunity to drive a Ram Laramie Crew-Cab Diesel 4X4 w/ the short-bed that has the locked storage compartments in the bedsides. Also, drove a quad-cab SLT w/ a std bed & the Hemi.

The new 1/2 ton V6 diesel motor is torquey & gets awesome Mpg. I got 25 mpg in mixed driving on a brand new motor & I'm sure you can pull off the 28mpg that's claimed. The bed storage is pretty cool; but, it does make 2 bikes a bit of a squeeze. The Laramie interior is gorgeous & has plenty of storage/stash compartments & has a fold-out-flat-floor in the back. The truck had EVERYTHING available & was a hot-rod. The new diesel is more than enough motor & I'm guessing it tows like some 3/4 ton trucks. You can get all that info on the web. A local dealer said you can get fairly huge discounts on the loaded trucks.

The Hemi SLT Quad-cab 4X4 is one if those Value-Editions & for a $33K truck it's pretty damn nice! Nice controls & straight-forward info & entertainment systems. The Hemi gets surprisingly good mlg: I've been getting 17.5-18.5 while driving too fast w/ one bike and some gear...est. 700 # pay-load inc. me. Even with 46 psi in the tires the ride is as good...no. It's better than the new GM (I've got one of'em & I think this "Dodge" rides better).

Sticker on the loaded truck was $55K...pimp trucks cost money!

Dash on the SLT was pretty clean & functional

The Quad-Can ain't that big. Needed to run the passenger seat fwd to get a coupl'a gear bags to fit in the back-seat
|
Huevos
5/9/2014 5:14pm
If I'm not mistaken all of Dodge's diesels are V6's. Interesting that they made a 1/2 ton diesel. Is it also a Cummins?
500guy
5/9/2014 5:14pm
I wanted to try that New Diesel, So far they are not delivering any trucks that are not completely loaded , I'm not interested in all the girly stuff.
Preston412
5/9/2014 5:26pm
Huevos wrote:
If I'm not mistaken all of Dodge's diesels are V6's. Interesting that they made a 1/2 ton diesel. Is it also a Cummins?
No, they are V8's for the 2500.
5/9/2014 5:30pm
Huevos wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
No, the 6.7L cummins is a v6, the new fiat 3.0l diesel is a v6, also.

The Shop

Wright_36
5/9/2014 5:32pm
The 2500 and up Cummins aren't a V6 or a V8, they are an inline 6. The half ton isn't a Cummins either its an Italian VM Motori.
Kmid514
5/9/2014 5:35pm
So, a whole new motor for all new Cummings/Dodge? They always had the Inline six, 16 valve then 24 lately. I was thinking the new small motor was the only "V".
Huevos
5/9/2014 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 5:48pm
Wright_36 wrote:
The 2500 and up Cummins aren't a V6 or a V8, they are an inline 6. The half ton isn't a Cummins either its an Italian...
The 2500 and up Cummins aren't a V6 or a V8, they are an inline 6. The half ton isn't a Cummins either its an Italian VM Motori.
Dang it I meant 6 cylinder, not a V6. Good call.
downard254
5/9/2014 5:53pm
Wright_36 wrote:
The 2500 and up Cummins aren't a V6 or a V8, they are an inline 6. The half ton isn't a Cummins either its an Italian...
This is correct. Dodge WAS working with cummins to develope a 5 liter diesel for the half ton Ram, but once Daimler sold their share of Chrysler to Fiat, it was dropped in favor of the smaller V6 diesel. In my opinion, it was a wise decision, as a half ton truck does not need 300+ hp and 500+ ft lb of torque. This hp war the manufacturers are into is a waste.

Since dropping the V8 cummins, Nissan has picked up that motor for their new Titan models, and Toyota is currently considering the cummins also for their Tundra. If this happens, Ford and Chevy will be forced to follow suit to compete.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/9/2014 5:55pm
I bought a Laramie about 6 months ago and love it. The Hemi engine really screams when I get on it. Cruising on the freeway around 70 gets me 22-23 mpg
ME686
5/9/2014 6:02pm
Been lusting over the eco diesel. Too rich for my blood and I'm paid off on vehicles. Isn't the catch, loaded only for the eco diesel? I've been looking at the gmc v6 sierra, and you can have all the goodies with the v6. 22mpg roughly with the chev.
Preston412
5/9/2014 6:10pm
Wright_36 wrote:
Correct, I was looking at a different motor. They have always been a Inline 6 since 1984.
TeamGreen
5/9/2014 6:22pm
You guys got it: the 1/2 V6 is Italian & the 2 diesels (1/2 ton) that I've driven had German transmissions I think...?

Someone said they get over 20mpg in the Hemi? I believe it, the motor is a miser IF...IF you allow it to be.

Really impressed. I'll have the SLT at the Ranch this weekend if anyone wants to climb around & maybe take a test drive if we have time...look for the Silver Ram w/a AS29 replica in the back...the rider ain't no Andrew replica, tho...a lot shorter, older, fatter & waaaaaay SLOWER!
5/9/2014 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 6:56pm
I think those 1500 Dodges look awesome on the outside. Haven't seen the inside yet but that instrument cluster looks cheaper and crappier than a $15 a day rental car but I guess it is the budget edition.... They screwed that up though.

Also I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that diesel boys. One would think that because it's a diesel it'll tow better right? Nope. Check that before you buy boys because a loaded up crew cab diesel 4x4 is only rated to tow 7,650 lbs compared to 9,750lbs for the Hemi powered Dodge and 9,200 in the Ecoboost Ford. Now if all your hauling around is a bass boat it'll do fine but for people that think this thing is gonna tow better than their current Hemi powered Dodge or a 1500 or F150 think again. The diesel is cranking out 420 ft lbs of torque same as an Ecoboost but it's only got 240hp compared to 365hp in the Ecoboost. Hemi is 395hp and 410 on the torque. Not sure what the Chevy has. Also on the gas mileage check your local fuel prices because where I'm at diesel is 20% more expensive than gas so just to break even your gonna need 20% better fuel economy which it appears to do but whatever is left is gonna take you a long time to make up the $2,850 that Dodge is charging for the diesel. Plus you gotta handle cat pissWoohoo

By the way I'm not hating on Dodge I was hell bent on getting one of these things a few months ago until I started running the numbers and then I saw Ford is coming out with a 2.7 Ecoboost and going on weight watchers so I'll wait to see what that's all about because the diesel just doesn't justify the cost with the current fuel prices.

If Kenny T is getting 22-23 in a Hemi and fuel is 60 cents a gallon cheaper that diesel is a bust cause that Hemi will blow the doors off the diesel.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
5/9/2014 6:41pm
Wright_36 wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
Correct, I was looking at a different motor. They have always been a Inline 6 since 1984.
I have another shocker, the inline 6 isn't really a cummins either... It's a rebadged Case engine. Wink
Wright_36
5/9/2014 6:48pm
ML512 wrote:
I have another shocker, the inline 6 isn't really a cummins either... It's a rebadged Case engine. Wink
Actually it is a Cummins. Case uses Cummins in a lot of their machinery along with semis, rv's and a lot of other things. Case does not build this motor.
TeamGreen
5/9/2014 6:50pm
I think those 1500 Dodges look awesome on the outside. Haven't seen the inside yet but that instrument cluster looks cheaper and crappier than a $15...
I think those 1500 Dodges look awesome on the outside. Haven't seen the inside yet but that instrument cluster looks cheaper and crappier than a $15 a day rental car but I guess it is the budget edition.... They screwed that up though.

Also I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that diesel boys. One would think that because it's a diesel it'll tow better right? Nope. Check that before you buy boys because a loaded up crew cab diesel 4x4 is only rated to tow 7,650 lbs compared to 9,750lbs for the Hemi powered Dodge and 9,200 in the Ecoboost Ford. Now if all your hauling around is a bass boat it'll do fine but for people that think this thing is gonna tow better than their current Hemi powered Dodge or a 1500 or F150 think again. The diesel is cranking out 420 ft lbs of torque same as an Ecoboost but it's only got 240hp compared to 365hp in the Ecoboost. Hemi is 395hp and 410 on the torque. Not sure what the Chevy has. Also on the gas mileage check your local fuel prices because where I'm at diesel is 20% more expensive than gas so just to break even your gonna need 20% better fuel economy which it appears to do but whatever is left is gonna take you a long time to make up the $2,850 that Dodge is charging for the diesel. Plus you gotta handle cat pissWoohoo

By the way I'm not hating on Dodge I was hell bent on getting one of these things a few months ago until I started running the numbers and then I saw Ford is coming out with a 2.7 Ecoboost and going on weight watchers so I'll wait to see what that's all about because the diesel just doesn't justify the cost with the current fuel prices.

If Kenny T is getting 22-23 in a Hemi and fuel is 60 cents a gallon cheaper that diesel is a bust cause that Hemi will blow the doors off the diesel.
The cluster is really simple & very old-School Mopar; but, the info-center in the middle is very functional & has all sorts of data avail. It looks a lot like an old analog muscle car, to me.

I love the Ford Boost motors; but, the Ram diesel's mileage and real-world-torque are gonna be hard to match w/ the new lil' booster. The towing limitation may be the 4 (or 5?) link rear-suspension. The new Ford 3.5 booster is suppose to make even MORE torque in '15? Damn! & I think the 5.0 V8 7-lug F-150s tow 10 to 12k...?

I'm thinking the best bang for the buck might be a std V6 in any of the Big 3's trucks.
Daniel816
5/9/2014 6:51pm
I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 a tar and a half ago. I rode in a Larmie, and while yes it has every feature you could want it was over kill for me. I went with the Big Horn model. My first issue was our weather was getting down to -20 -30. So warming it up for extended period would fill the DPF filters so that had to go! I installed the H&S mini max and a Flo-pro 5 inch turbo back exhaust.

Now into the Moto side of this lol. I towed an 18 ft enclosed trailer, while the mileage was around 12-14 I could still tow at 80 with 5 bikes and everyone's gear and the truck had no idea it was there. Few months later I towed a 14ft trailer 3 bikes and all our stuff and still managed 18-20 mpg. With a tool box in the bed 2 bikes and has and tools and gear is a tight fit but take the toolbox out and I got three bikes, three gas cans, stands, mini tools box and gear bags no problem.

The Fords and GM trucks are great but ouch expensive! I waited till the end of 2012 and ran to boise and walked out with a brand new truck, 4 miles on the odometer for 36,000 and I love it!
mxaaron
5/9/2014 6:52pm
Huevos wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
You guys are all wrong, the 2500 and 3500s have an inline (or straight) 6.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
5/9/2014 6:55pm
Wright_36 wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Lol
Not sure where you are getting your info Michael. That's good stuff.... Whistling
500guy
5/9/2014 6:56pm
That inline 6 originated is actually a CDC = Case,Dressler,Cummins they sold a ton of the engines 4 & 6 Cyl in just about anything you could imagine.

Also the Cummins V-8 is supposed to come out in the Nissan Titan but production has been pushed back.
5/9/2014 6:58pm
V8 diesels in half ton trucks. Aren't they going the wrong way. Shouldn't it be 4 cyl.
TeamGreen
5/9/2014 7:12pm
V8 diesels in half ton trucks. Aren't they going the wrong way. Shouldn't it be 4 cyl.
Gm had a Saaaweeeet 4.5 DSL V8 that they tossed out during their restructure
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
5/9/2014 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 9:10pm
500guy wrote:
I wanted to try that New Diesel, So far they are not delivering any trucks that are not completely loaded , I'm not interested in all...
I wanted to try that New Diesel, So far they are not delivering any trucks that are not completely loaded , I'm not interested in all the girly stuff.
Why would you buy one that wasn't loaded ? I always get Leather,heated power seats, Top of the line sound with navigation remote start keyless entry etc etc. If you are going to get something you spend a lot of time driving then get the luxury. I order most of the time because I am picky and I want it to have everything I want but I also spend lots of time researching and test driving to make up my mind, I have never bought a diesel either and I am not set on one manufacture so I can pick and choose.I think I might get a Raptor next but not sure.
5/9/2014 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 7:23pm
I think those 1500 Dodges look awesome on the outside. Haven't seen the inside yet but that instrument cluster looks cheaper and crappier than a $15...

TeamGreen wrote:
The cluster is really simple & very old-School Mopar; but, the info-center in the middle is very functional & has all sorts of data avail. It...
The cluster is really simple & very old-School Mopar; but, the info-center in the middle is very functional & has all sorts of data avail. It looks a lot like an old analog muscle car, to me.

I love the Ford Boost motors; but, the Ram diesel's mileage and real-world-torque are gonna be hard to match w/ the new lil' booster. The towing limitation may be the 4 (or 5?) link rear-suspension. The new Ford 3.5 booster is suppose to make even MORE torque in '15? Damn! & I think the 5.0 V8 7-lug F-150s tow 10 to 12k...?

I'm thinking the best bang for the buck might be a std V6 in any of the Big 3's trucks.
Yea I agree it's all what somebody wants at the end of the day they are all great trucks.

I really really really wanted a red Laramie Crew 4x4 diesel. Those things look awesome. But the numbers just don't justify the diesel for me. At the end of the day it cost more with less performance than the Hemi and the better mpg doesn't cancel the up front money (also if your financing that 2,850), added cost of fuel, animal piss and more expensive maintenance. The Hemi is a powerful proven platform that's bulletproof while the diesel is new and unproven. If I go with the Dodge it'll be a Hemi.

The light weight towing doesn't bother me because I never tow any more than about 4,000lbs so that's not a show stopper I am looking for better economy over towing 10k. That new F150 3.5 booster is supposed to be nasty. Imagine more torque than it has now and it drops 700lbs.... What I'm interested in is the 2.7. I imagine it will be in the performance range of the 1500 Dodge diesel. It will probably tow about the same and they are speculating about 305 horsepower and maybe 320 or 340 on the torque. So it'll have 40 or so more horsepower than the Dodge diesel but about 100 less ft lbs of torque. But with a 700lbs weight reduction I think performance wise it'll be right there with the Dodge diesel. The difference will be it will probably be like the 3.5 boost and be a $1,000 option and with Ford claiming it's a "game changer" people are speculating it'll get the same economy as the Dodge diesel but it'll do it on fuel that is 60 cents a gallon cheaper. That will be the difference. I guess time will tell.

What we really need is a truck that runs on natural gas. Then we are in businessWink
5/9/2014 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 7:24pm
500guy wrote:
I wanted to try that New Diesel, So far they are not delivering any trucks that are not completely loaded , I'm not interested in all...
Dude the best options you can get on a truck is remote start and assconditioning.

No 2 better options.
JordanB
5/9/2014 7:31pm
Huevos wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
The 5.9 thru 6.7 cummins is a V8?

Lmfao.
Vonripper450
5/9/2014 7:34pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Over the last few days I've had an opportunity to drive a Ram Laramie Crew-Cab Diesel 4X4 w/ the short-bed that has the locked storage compartments...
Over the last few days I've had an opportunity to drive a Ram Laramie Crew-Cab Diesel 4X4 w/ the short-bed that has the locked storage compartments in the bedsides. Also, drove a quad-cab SLT w/ a std bed & the Hemi.

The new 1/2 ton V6 diesel motor is torquey & gets awesome Mpg. I got 25 mpg in mixed driving on a brand new motor & I'm sure you can pull off the 28mpg that's claimed. The bed storage is pretty cool; but, it does make 2 bikes a bit of a squeeze. The Laramie interior is gorgeous & has plenty of storage/stash compartments & has a fold-out-flat-floor in the back. The truck had EVERYTHING available & was a hot-rod. The new diesel is more than enough motor & I'm guessing it tows like some 3/4 ton trucks. You can get all that info on the web. A local dealer said you can get fairly huge discounts on the loaded trucks.

The Hemi SLT Quad-cab 4X4 is one if those Value-Editions & for a $33K truck it's pretty damn nice! Nice controls & straight-forward info & entertainment systems. The Hemi gets surprisingly good mlg: I've been getting 17.5-18.5 while driving too fast w/ one bike and some gear...est. 700 # pay-load inc. me. Even with 46 psi in the tires the ride is as good...no. It's better than the new GM (I've got one of'em & I think this "Dodge" rides better).

Sticker on the loaded truck was $55K...pimp trucks cost money!

Dash on the SLT was pretty clean & functional

The Quad-Can ain't that big. Needed to run the passenger seat fwd to get a coupl'a gear bags to fit in the back-seat
Nobody has mentioned the fact you have to move the seats to put a gear bag in the back seat. I have rode in a few Dodges and interior is crap. My knees are rubbin on the dash and I' m not very tall. I'll take an Ecoboost anyday.
JordanB
5/9/2014 7:35pm

TeamGreen wrote:
The cluster is really simple & very old-School Mopar; but, the info-center in the middle is very functional & has all sorts of data avail. It...

Leafs for real towing.
COILS in the rear are hideous.
crusher773
5/9/2014 7:35pm
Huevos wrote:
Preston412 wrote:
mxaaron wrote:
You guys are all wrong, the 2500 and 3500s have an inline (or straight) 6.
Yeah what he said. The Dodge Cummins is a straight 6. To me if you are going to have a 1/2 ton with a 6 cyl why not just have the 3/4 ton. Mine will get 20 or better running down the highway and I know it's enough truck to hook up to anything I would ever need to. 1/2 ton would be a little tougher. I was really hoping the 1/2 ton would do better than that mileage wise. It shouldn't be long before you can mod them and get them up over 30 though.

Post a reply to: The New Ram Trucks for hauling your scoots...

The Latest