The New Diamondback in NY Opens

MXEditor
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 8:26am
THE NEW DIAMONDBACK MOTOCROSS - READY TO RACE!

A brand-new track with a historic legacy in New York State will be re-opening on June 16th, 2012...the new Diamondback Motocross in East Durham, New York.

The original Diamondback Motocross was originally opened in 1992 by John Coen and Jeff Dirago, two New England area expert motocross racers. John’s brother is Carlo Coen, multi-time motocross champion. The original Diamondback facility quickly became “The Place to Race” for area riders.

But alas, the original Diamondback was forced to close its gates a few years ago. Not able to walk away from the sport he loved, John Coen secured property in East Durham which is located in the majestic Catskills Region of New York. Set on a property of over 59 acres, Diamondback Motocross was built from the ground up with a fresh set of ideas and a great layout to accommodate riders of all skill levels.

Input, vision and hands-on support from James Slaughter, owner of the Xtreme Motocross Series, has been instrumental in helping John realize his dream. Slaughter has been running race series and moto-events for over 20 years and has recently experienced rapid growth with the new XMS Series. Both Coen and Slaughter have had major input in the layout and design of the new facility, and built it with the thought of showcasing the XMS timing and scoring system, XtremeScore.

The XtremeScore system by XMS replaces those heavy and expensive transponders with all new technology, developed and perfected over the last three years during the running of the highly successful Xtreme Motocross Series. This new track was built with that new technology in mind.

The new Diamondback Motocross is poised to break back into the racing scene like it did when it first opened, beckoning riders of all levels and skill sets to come ride and race. With exciting but safely designed triples, whoops, tables and a long, sweeping start, both riders and spectators will feel the same excitement they did “back in the day” at the new Diamondback Motocross facility.

Some of the cool features you will find at the new Diamondback Motocross include a hotel on-site with reasonable accommodations and is 2-wheel friendly, as well as camping on a first come, first serve basis. RV’s are welcome and must be fully contained as there are no hook-ups as of yet, and no showers or electricity are offered as of today but are in the works, just like the old days of motocross when it wasn’t just all about the money.

That excitement will officially begin when Diamondback Motocross opens its gates for a weekend of riding and racing on Saturday, June 16th. On Saturday there will be the first open practice to provide areas racers with a first look at the new facility and to become familiar with the fast lines. All riders are invited to participate, and the facility will be fully staffed with flaggers, XMS personnel and of course the ever-present food concession featuring food and drinks for everyone.

On Sunday the racing will begin and last all day. There are many different classes for riders to enter, from Pee-Wee to Vets and everyone in between and on Sunday XMS will have selected giveaways of riding gear, stickers, and all the swag that XMS is famous for. Pre-registration for this event is available here…why wait in a line when you do it online?

For more information, directions, class information and pre-registration, please visit http://www.diamondback-mx.com/ or call the 24 Hour Race Information Line at 845-554-8717 for event info & ticket pricing.

|
E-man811
6/7/2012 6:46pm
So cool. Great news.

Too bad I am 960 miles south now. But I will be up in July. Maybe I will come check it out instead of E-town when I am up there.

I miss the original Diamondback. Them were the days.
Devil1nNj
6/7/2012 7:00pm
This is great news! After they put that...I...don't....know...what ....to call it...whoop section I guess...after the whoops, I never went back and spent money to drive there and ride that track.
I loved that track though! I will definitely go check it out and see if it's back to the great track it used to be. Thanks for posting this.

The Shop

6/7/2012 7:19pm
Sounds like it's going to be a great track. I had just asked about it today at work because I had heard that John Coen had purchased some land around Cairo NY and wanted to build a track. If it's anything like the old Diamondback I'll be there.
Devil1nNj
6/7/2012 7:46pm
Sounds like it's going to be a great track. I had just asked about it today at work because I had heard that John Coen had...
Sounds like it's going to be a great track. I had just asked about it today at work because I had heard that John Coen had purchased some land around Cairo NY and wanted to build a track. If it's anything like the old Diamondback I'll be there.
Wow that new track is over an hour further from me then the old one. Whenever there is pics of the tracks up can any of you guys update this thread? That was always one of the best tracks in our district back in the day. I'd love to check it out. Any info you guys can share would be great. Ill follow the site as well, this is def news to me as I have been out of the loop for a bit. But, it is def welcomed news.
Hope it works out. Gonna be tough for sure when a Hotel is the number one way to stay, but, all things take time. It's great to hear someone around this area is pro active with tracks. It's been ridiculous lately in this area for tracks for the public.
dedi684
6/7/2012 7:48pm
I don't believe he owns it. I think it's owned by the same person as the blackthorn resort. Anyways it seems like they've went all out and I'm excited since its only 10 min from my house. I'll he there to support their efforts.
dedi684
6/7/2012 7:50pm
Xtreme MX series has pics on Facebook I believe. I also think coen is the promoter. This is just what I know or have been told since its close to my home. Anyone can feel to correct me if I'm wrong.
6/7/2012 8:07pm
Hey guys, Thanks for the interest in the new Diamondback Motocross. Dedi684 is correct, the Handel family who owns the Blackthorne own the property. John Coen is the co-promoter as well as I am. This project has taken well over 4 years and really didn't get any traction until the first week of April 2012, when we finally had the approval to break ground. This weekend, the starting gates, fencing, and other items will be installed on the property as this track will now be taking shape for the event we will be holding in a week. We do have some pics of the track build on our facebook page and more going up each day as we get closer to the race. Many thanks goes out to the Handel family, Ralph Borwegen, A. Montano & Co., and many others who have contributed to make this track happen. Diamondback MX will exclusively work with Xtreme MX Series for 2012. Xtreme MX Series, (XMS) also holds events at Long Island Motocross and Walden Motocross for 2012. If anyone needs info regarding the track or the races, goto Xtreme MX Series or Diamondback-MX websites. Onsite Hotel reservations can be made by calling the Blackthorne Resort, click here for website.

6/7/2012 8:11pm
Also, anyone wanting to give a helping hand at the track this Saturday or Sunday, please feel free to stop on by. We will be there all weekend long getting the track ready for next weeks event.

Thanks again guys.

Jamie Slaughter
Xtreme MX Series
Devil1nNj
6/7/2012 8:17pm
Anyone here up on what it would cost to race the 3 track series? From what Im seeing, being that it's after the sign up date it's $65 for the series, and $30 per class, on race day, and $30 per open practice at each track? Are there any other charges I may have missed? Are we charged for spectators on practice/race days?

Thanks in advance. I've been out of the loop a bit, and didn't realize Broome was a different series, with other charges, and would love to know what's entailed these days to race here.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info. Glad to see DBMX back though!
Devil1nNj
6/7/2012 8:19pm
Hey guys, Thanks for the interest in the new Diamondback Motocross. Dedi684 is correct, the Handel family who owns the Blackthorne own the property. John Coen...
Hey guys, Thanks for the interest in the new Diamondback Motocross. Dedi684 is correct, the Handel family who owns the Blackthorne own the property. John Coen is the co-promoter as well as I am. This project has taken well over 4 years and really didn't get any traction until the first week of April 2012, when we finally had the approval to break ground. This weekend, the starting gates, fencing, and other items will be installed on the property as this track will now be taking shape for the event we will be holding in a week. We do have some pics of the track build on our facebook page and more going up each day as we get closer to the race. Many thanks goes out to the Handel family, Ralph Borwegen, A. Montano & Co., and many others who have contributed to make this track happen. Diamondback MX will exclusively work with Xtreme MX Series for 2012. Xtreme MX Series, (XMS) also holds events at Long Island Motocross and Walden Motocross for 2012. If anyone needs info regarding the track or the races, goto Xtreme MX Series or Diamondback-MX websites. Onsite Hotel reservations can be made by calling the Blackthorne Resort, click here for website.

Great to see someone doing something in this area! Thanks! It's really great to see.
6/8/2012 3:18am
Devil1nNj wrote:
Anyone here up on what it would cost to race the 3 track series? From what Im seeing, being that it's after the sign up date...
Anyone here up on what it would cost to race the 3 track series? From what Im seeing, being that it's after the sign up date it's $65 for the series, and $30 per class, on race day, and $30 per open practice at each track? Are there any other charges I may have missed? Are we charged for spectators on practice/race days?

Thanks in advance. I've been out of the loop a bit, and didn't realize Broome was a different series, with other charges, and would love to know what's entailed these days to race here.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info. Glad to see DBMX back though!
This is the cost structure:

Diamondback MX
Practice day - $30/rider, spectators are no cost
Race day - $12/ gate fee, $30 per class

Xtreme MX Series
Series membership - $50/year
This gets you, points, championship award if earned at end of season, one transponder

Non members pay $10 transponder fee at each event.
Lost/Replacement transponders are $5 during event
jndmx
6/8/2012 6:10am
Wow great to hear Diamondback is getting back on the scene.

Went up there a few time many years ago.
stax199
6/8/2012 8:52am
great news!! I was a diamondback high points winner in 07 the track was great.. one of my favorite the big up hill triple so sick...see ya soon! congrats to the cones and xtreme series
MXEditor
6/8/2012 8:57am
stax199 wrote:
great news!! I was a diamondback high points winner in 07 the track was great.. one of my favorite the big up hill triple so sick...see...
great news!! I was a diamondback high points winner in 07 the track was great.. one of my favorite the big up hill triple so sick...see ya soon! congrats to the cones and xtreme series
Yeah dude that back section was really a blast!
MXEditor
6/12/2012 7:27pm
We rode the track today (first time for me) and it was a BLAST. Safe but challenging, big tables, step-up and very cool switchback bowl turns...no good pictures yet we were too busy riding.

Thanks to Fly Racing and Bell Powersports for the help today!!
MXEditor
6/12/2012 7:29pm
We also built a 36 position starting gate that has a lot of history behind it!

It was rescued from the ruins of Mototown USA after the roof collapsed. I think before that it was at the old Diamondback...

Frikkin' things are heavy!!
2smoker
6/12/2012 8:19pm
Great to see another track open in our area. Can't have too many places (legal..lol) to ride.
willie838
6/12/2012 8:24pm
MXEditor wrote:
We also built a 36 position starting gate that has a lot of history behind it! It was rescued from the ruins of Mototown USA after...
We also built a 36 position starting gate that has a lot of history behind it!

It was rescued from the ruins of Mototown USA after the roof collapsed. I think before that it was at the old Diamondback...

Frikkin' things are heavy!!
i may or may not have redlined my kx80 off the start as a kid and looped out 10' into my first race over that same gate haha
Top End
6/13/2012 1:37am
stax199 wrote:
great news!! I was a diamondback high points winner in 07 the track was great.. one of my favorite the big up hill triple so sick...see...
MXEditor wrote:
Yeah dude that back section was really a blast!
I'm in for a practice day and checking out a new local track. I hope they recreate the old big triple from the OG track. Here is a pic of me hitting it. I loved that jump to bad they run it backwards now.
I'm glad here in upstate NY we've had few tracks open up this last year. I hope Lebanon Valley gets the green light for an MX track.
MXEditor
6/13/2012 8:26am
Snuck in for laps yesterday

Woodz bikes on the MX track - a blast

Post a reply to: The New Diamondback in NY Opens

The Latest