The Jump of Jerez MXDN-1996

ruy
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2018 2:32pm

|
Mr. G
1/22/2016 12:02pm
That would be so fun assuming one is talented and brave enough.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/22/2016 12:14pm
Nice! But Lamson was doing it on the 125

The Shop

Lightning78
1/22/2016 12:27pm
Markee wrote:
And doing heel clickers to boot! They actuly tried to stop or did stop the americans from jumping it bec it was unfair nobody else would try ir do the jump lol
ATKpilot99
1/22/2016 12:30pm
Markee wrote:
And doing heel clickers to boot! They actuly tried to stop or did stop the americans from jumping it bec it was unfair nobody else would...
And doing heel clickers to boot! They actuly tried to stop or did stop the americans from jumping it bec it was unfair nobody else would try ir do the jump lol
Joel Smets griped that it should've been called the Supercross des nations that year.
Canerat
1/22/2016 1:11pm
In fact it was four jumps in a row. The Euros bitched so the promoter rolled out the grader and flattened the two middle jumps leaving a massive downhill double.....the three Yanks kept on jumping it.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/22/2016 1:25pm
Truth. If that jump was at some local track nowadays half of the C class and likely even a few in the beginner class would hit it without thinking. Only thing is they would throw a super-sick whip-scrub while doing it.
ruy
1/22/2016 3:00pm

Smets broke the Husaberg four strokes in the jump and a very young Torronteras made the show in the Junior motos between the motos of the MXDN

zehn
1/22/2016 3:10pm
Jumps these days are too damn big...
toomey706
1/22/2016 5:17pm
Lamson smoked everyone on the track in the 125/500 moto, on the 125.

Bearuno
1/22/2016 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2016 9:50pm
And doing heel clickers to boot! They actuly tried to stop or did stop the americans from jumping it bec it was unfair nobody else would...
Complete and utter BS. Not the heel clickers, but the "trying to stop the Americans" bit

Yes, they modified the track - as, it basically broke the rules about Doubles etc of the time.

And, indeed, there was a hell of a lot of concern about the danger of riders being landed on. Especially during training / qualifying. Various riders were going for massive air as their main thing, and just missing riders that weren't.

Can you imagine the carnage from such a huge jump(s) and someone landing on another rider? Some here might have seen the result of a rider being landed on at Ernee last year - remember Anstie with engine problems being 'splattered'? That was not a result in rider ability disparity, just an example of the dangers / risks involved in MX.

The most impressive rider of that year, was Seb Tortelli - both races involved in pile ups in the first turn, and coming through the pack on his 125. His speed was incredible.

France, in particular, has long been noted for many of it's great tracks having huge, blind jumps. I can't recall the name of the GP track that had (several), massive near vertical, both up and down, huge, peaked, hill jumps, with the added fear factor of the track being a Chalk surface. I can imagine the squealing from some riders at being presented with such an ice like surface, nowadays.

Quite a few 'Euros' were doing massive jumps off it all at Jerez, too. Quite a few didn't. Part of the MXDN is the big disparity between rider levels And technique ( as in, some of the fastest riders in the world were not going for 'skyshots', but staying lower and accelerating down the slope - each to his own method) , much like the Olympics. But, with far more danger coming from it. Nation against nation events in any sports has that as a feature / problem. It's the way it is.
Pembroke36
1/22/2016 8:26pm
Any video links or better pics to see the whole jump?
zehn
1/22/2016 8:29pm
Pembroke36 wrote:
You didn't see the vid posted in the OP? It's got some pretty good shots of the entire jump
Pembroke36
1/22/2016 8:37pm
Pembroke36 wrote:
zehn wrote:
You didn't see the vid posted in the OP? It's got some pretty good shots of the entire jump
Oops. I didn't see the youtube link under the pic.
LastCall211
1/22/2016 11:28pm
When people talk about O'Mara in 86, or Villopoto in 07, they often fail to mention the unbelievable ride Lamson put in that day.
Juss
1/23/2016 12:27am
Bearuno wrote:
Complete and utter BS. Not the heel clickers, but the "trying to stop the Americans" bit Yes, they modified the track - as, it basically broke...
Complete and utter BS. Not the heel clickers, but the "trying to stop the Americans" bit

Yes, they modified the track - as, it basically broke the rules about Doubles etc of the time.

And, indeed, there was a hell of a lot of concern about the danger of riders being landed on. Especially during training / qualifying. Various riders were going for massive air as their main thing, and just missing riders that weren't.

Can you imagine the carnage from such a huge jump(s) and someone landing on another rider? Some here might have seen the result of a rider being landed on at Ernee last year - remember Anstie with engine problems being 'splattered'? That was not a result in rider ability disparity, just an example of the dangers / risks involved in MX.

The most impressive rider of that year, was Seb Tortelli - both races involved in pile ups in the first turn, and coming through the pack on his 125. His speed was incredible.

France, in particular, has long been noted for many of it's great tracks having huge, blind jumps. I can't recall the name of the GP track that had (several), massive near vertical, both up and down, huge, peaked, hill jumps, with the added fear factor of the track being a Chalk surface. I can imagine the squealing from some riders at being presented with such an ice like surface, nowadays.

Quite a few 'Euros' were doing massive jumps off it all at Jerez, too. Quite a few didn't. Part of the MXDN is the big disparity between rider levels And technique ( as in, some of the fastest riders in the world were not going for 'skyshots', but staying lower and accelerating down the slope - each to his own method) , much like the Olympics. But, with far more danger coming from it. Nation against nation events in any sports has that as a feature / problem. It's the way it is.
wtf are you babbling on about?
Bearuno
1/23/2016 2:57am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2016 3:06am
About BS being posted : that Americans were being stopped from jumping things - have a look at race videos from the event and you'll see plenty of air from many, many riders.

I was there at Jerez in 96 - you?
1/23/2016 3:19am
Didn't bikes look awesome in those days. Probably a bit of nostalgia but I just love the graphics of that era.
1/23/2016 3:36am
Bearuno wrote:
Complete and utter BS. Not the heel clickers, but the "trying to stop the Americans" bit Yes, they modified the track - as, it basically broke...

France, in particular, has long been noted for many of it's great tracks having huge, blind jumps

It's funny but that reminds me of an old Paul Malin interview from around that time in one of the mags here (must have been DBR), and he was telling this story about how he visited this track in France (as the current British champ) and couldn't believe the stuff these kids on 80s were jumping - his exact words being "I was supposed to be the British champion and yet I'd never seen anything like it"..lol. There was a bit of a spat in the UK at the time between some of the riders and the ACU about the tracks here being too mild and not moving with the times (by 90s standards).
BobPA
1/23/2016 6:12am
Didn't bikes look awesome in those days. Probably a bit of nostalgia but I just love the graphics of that era.
They also sounded really cool
1/23/2016 6:17am
FGR01 wrote:
Truth. If that jump was at some local track nowadays half of the C class and likely even a few in the beginner class would hit...
Truth. If that jump was at some local track nowadays half of the C class and likely even a few in the beginner class would hit it without thinking. Only thing is they would throw a super-sick whip-scrub while doing it.
I don't think you realize how big that jump was.
1/23/2016 6:20am
Bearuno wrote:
About BS being posted : that Americans were being stopped from jumping things - have a look at race videos from the event and you'll see...
About BS being posted : that Americans were being stopped from jumping things - have a look at race videos from the event and you'll see plenty of air from many, many riders.

And one particular guy on a 125 beat every single one of them, can't recall his name. You were there, perhaps you could help me out.
VxeR
1/23/2016 6:47am
FGR01 wrote:
Truth. If that jump was at some local track nowadays half of the C class and likely even a few in the beginner class would hit...
Meters?
1/23/2016 6:51am
And one particular guy on a 125 beat every single one of them, can't recall his name. You were there, perhaps you could help me out.
its about the jumps , wh cares who won ..........
1/23/2016 6:53am
FGR01 wrote:
VxeR wrote:
Meters?
Robbie Knevel measures jumps in distance. Motocrossers take into account all the other factors like the 125 you're on, proximity to the turn, speed of turn, rocky soil, importance of race, 500 roost...ect..

That being said, it was about 37-40M right out of a flat tight left hander.

Yea, am kids could hit it. On their decked out 2016 model bikes with EFI and multiple map ignitions. But on a carbd 500 with cartridge forks gtfo
Firefly47
1/23/2016 7:01am
Bearuno wrote:
About BS being posted : that Americans were being stopped from jumping things - have a look at race videos from the event and you'll see...

I was.
And Steve hucking it on his 125 caused a great majority of the Euros to literally stop to watch him. It wasn't until AFTER the Americans started jumping it did the Euros begin to even try it. I specifically remember Emig even pulling guys aside and telling guys HOW to jump it and at what speed to do it.

Post a reply to: The Jump of Jerez MXDN-1996

The Latest