The Goat and The King, 6-Time, The Bad Boy, The Hurricane, The Man, Mr 875, King Carlqvist...

Crush
Edited Date/Time 12/4/2015 4:38am
Listening to some pods and doing work. At at the end of Matthes' shows the Hurricane talks about Roger D being the greatest competitor ever... In another RJ describes The Man testing on 500s when they were at Honda–the Man commenting that it was a man's track...

What do you think all these dominant HOF's really think of RC in terms of competition... Could they have beaten him?

The King had to step aside, albeit at the end of his career, but when someone says the Goat, in their minds, do you think they agree or... eras aside, we know that's hard, but to me, there is no way someone like RJ says he couldn't have beat RC... RD too. The Hurricane, definitely not!

What you guys think?
|
Mr. G
12/3/2015 8:10pm
Hard to say. There two things though,#1 Charmichael at his peak had James arrive who was faster and RC upped his game. I don't know of any top guy that upped his game at his peak. Its arguable. #2. He won 70 outdoor races in a row. To me that may never be beat.
Rich Piano
12/3/2015 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2015 8:26pm
Goat chickened out racing 2 strokes in Oz.

Goat? More like little lamb.
visser62
12/3/2015 10:04pm
Motocross is the only sport where people look at records to determine who the best athlete is. Everybody says Carmichael is the best because he has the most wins. Plenty of F1 fans will say Senna is the best, even though he didn't win the most races/championships. Not even considering football, baseball, and other sports.

I'm not saying RC isn't the best, but I'm also not going to say he would have beaten RJ, Hannah, Decoster and others in the past.
Mit12
12/3/2015 10:14pm
Calling someone the GOAT is ridiculous. I can see maby the greatest of the decade. But GOTD (greatest of this decade) does not spell anything.

The Shop

shortcourse
12/3/2015 10:24pm
The greatest racer of all time is the first guy that through his leg over a dirt bike and said let's race! we all owe that guy a lot. If he had done that we wouldn't be talking about it now.....
Sidecar
12/3/2015 11:10pm
The greatest racer of all time is the first guy that through his leg over a dirt bike and said let's race! we all owe that...
The greatest racer of all time is the first guy that through his leg over a dirt bike and said let's race! we all owe that guy a lot. If he had done that we wouldn't be talking about it now.....
29th of March 1924 Camberly Heath, Surry, United Kingdom, first ever motocross race. It would have been awesome to witness!!!
OXBOY
12/4/2015 12:10am
Mit12 wrote:
Calling someone the GOAT is ridiculous. I can see maby the greatest of the decade. But GOTD (greatest of this decade) does not spell anything.
Well, if you look at the records,there's no doubt RC4 is more than the GOTD...

But, if you consider the rider (his wins) and the man after his career as a professional rider, we can say Roger Decoster is the GOAT...
mark_swart
12/4/2015 1:18am
I've read and listened to a lot of interviews over a lot of years, and I can't recall any of those guys ever saying jack about RC. Except when people get MC going on that RC Goat vs MC King thing.
Rich Piano
12/4/2015 3:11am
Nobody outside this sport knows who RC is except a couple Nascar people.
MC.....lots know who MC is. Outside of moto too.
Same thing for RJ.

Just the way it is.

10000hrs
12/4/2015 3:55am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2015 4:01am
I think that the great differentiator is if they had the killer I refuse to lose attitude where even if you are slower you hold it wide open till you are in the lead. I think Hannah, RJ, RC and perhaps JS had this. I hedge on JS because he was so much faster he, until recently, never had to worry much about racecraft. I dont think MC and RD had the killer instinct.

So if you could take RC and RJ back to the Hannah prime, it would be even money who would win and great to watch.
Of course, if you took Hannah and RJ to the RC era, if would be no contest.
12/4/2015 4:25am
Rich Piano wrote:
Goat chickened out racing 2 strokes in Oz.

Goat? More like little lamb.
Chickened out?

Because he got a last minute call from Reed to help out and apparently wasn't willing to ride a several year old used two stroke owned by somebody that he didn't know and that Reed had to go on social media to find and race it against Reed on a brand new model year two stroke?

Post a reply to: The Goat and The King, 6-Time, The Bad Boy, The Hurricane, The Man, Mr 875, King Carlqvist...

The Latest