The End Of an Era

AP_151
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 7:05pm
You're seeing it now people. The Reed and Stewart era is ending right before our eyes. Watching Reed today made me want to cry and punch babies at the same time. 8th place start, then got caught and passed by the nobodies (compared to Reed) of the sport. That's just depressing. I watched my childhood hero get decimated by Mitchell Oldenburg and Ben Lamay today.

And Stew, never mind the PED business, he hasn't been the same for a long time anyways. And ever since high point he's been a mess. I think he hit his boiling point today. Bubbalicious is about to go buh-buh-bye.

And to add to all this - Villo is likely done. The landscape is about look very different in our sport.

Enjoy seeing Reed and Stew on a track while you can folks, these legends are on their last legs. Father Time spares no one. Tomac and Roczen are the future and the future is here.

EDIT: Ellie Reed replied to my tweet saying Chad was puking in his helmet today so maybe I was being a little harsh.
|
7/19/2014 2:24pm
I think it is a shame we may never get to see ET go head to head with RV outdoors. I think he is on RVs level in MX.
kongols
7/19/2014 2:27pm
What happens if stew comes back and goes 1-1 next weekend though?
Fuck. He needs just two more wins to reach 100. I hope he somehow pulls it off.
AP_151
7/19/2014 2:28pm
Won't change much in my eyes, this era is ending. Faster than I want.

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/19/2014 2:29pm
All 3 guys could come back in Supercross and do great.

If they are done the sports in good hands with Tomac, Roczen, Dungey etc...
7/19/2014 2:37pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

I agree there is still at least another year in SX for any of them to take a Championship.
Grizz
7/19/2014 3:06pm
Well this post is depressing.

I like to look at the glass half full. Look who is out there racing!
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
7/19/2014 3:45pm
Agree Stew can come back and win an MX overall and a SX win but dont thin he has anymore championships in him. He is too inconsistent. I hope we have another year watching Stew race because he is exciting to watch.

Agree with rcr28 that we will still have some great riders to watch in Roczen, Tomac, Dungey, Canard, Babbitt, Marvin, Malcom, Peick, Hahn.

All riders retire at somepoint - DeCoster, Hannah, Baily, O'Mara, Ward, McGrath, Stanton, KW, Ricky and many others and the racing is still great.

New blood is good!
7/19/2014 3:47pm
not to mention some of the last guys to have raced a 2 stroke professionally, and arguably 2 of the best in the world on a 2 stroke

the last of which is short, tedesco, wey, and maybe 1 or 2 more
7/19/2014 4:18pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
not to mention some of the last guys to have raced a 2 stroke professionally, and arguably 2 of the best in the world on a...
not to mention some of the last guys to have raced a 2 stroke professionally, and arguably 2 of the best in the world on a 2 stroke

have you made a post where is didn't involve 2 strokes
ChrisB10
7/19/2014 5:25pm
Did you watch Supercross this year? They had like 7 wins combined even with Reedy missing most of the season. I will say they are definitely done outdoors. MX is all about endurance and they are just too old and rich to work that hard.
7/19/2014 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 5:39pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Did you watch Supercross this year? They had like 7 wins combined even with Reedy missing most of the season. I will say they are definitely...
Did you watch Supercross this year? They had like 7 wins combined even with Reedy missing most of the season. I will say they are definitely done outdoors. MX is all about endurance and they are just too old and rich to work that hard.
It is not really about physical endurance and fitness. If it were...you would see those guys run at speed early in the race..then fade. They can not even run top speed for one lap. The high speed, rough, random nature of outdoor MX just requires a level of reckless abandon that is hard to pull off as you get older.
Jack mehoff
7/19/2014 5:38pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
not to mention some of the last guys to have raced a 2 stroke professionally, and arguably 2 of the best in the world on a...

You are so true on that , getting to see them on a 2 banger was like poetry in motion
7/19/2014 5:38pm
Grizz wrote:

Without a guy like Tomac...I think it would be depressing. But Tomac has been the one guy now, for a while...who has shown speed that on a different level (Like MC did in SX...like RC did outdoors...like Stew did in SX....like RV did in both). So at least in MX...we have a guy racing still who can ride on that otherworldly level.
malachi177
7/19/2014 5:41pm
It is not really about physical endurance and fitness. If it were...you would see those guys run at speed early in the race..then fade. They can...
It is not really about physical endurance and fitness. If it were...you would see those guys run at speed early in the race..then fade. They can not even run top speed for one lap. The high speed, rough, random nature of outdoor MX just requires a level of reckless abandon that is hard to pull off as you get older.
Stewy went 1-1 a few weeks ago, so saying they can't run top speed for one lap....is just trying to stir the pot.
Paul333
7/19/2014 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 5:47pm
This is probably the millionth time someone has written off JS7 and CR22. It's happened to both of them many times but they always come back. Think about it.

2014:

JS7 has won Supercross & Nationals this year.

CR22 has won Supercross races and was a serious title contender until he got hurt.

I've learned to never bet against either of them.
level
7/19/2014 5:50pm
It's definitely the end of the era and time for the young guns to take over. It will be for Villopoto soon also but not because he slows down but he will retire on top much like Carmichael did.
C.Worthy
7/19/2014 6:21pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Did you watch Supercross this year? They had like 7 wins combined even with Reedy missing most of the season. I will say they are definitely...
Too old to race MX? laughable. Tell that to the Junk Yard Dog...
kevingent55
7/19/2014 6:27pm
twosmoke30 wrote:

I'm glad I got to watch Stew smoke people on 250f's on a 125, nothing like that sound
7/19/2014 8:59pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

True. Left in good hands, but not nearly the same. The charisma/drama the RC vs Reed vs Bubba (in all it's variations) that these three brought to the sport was something special.

As they say, style makes fights.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/19/2014 9:01pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

True. Left in good hands, but not nearly the same. The charisma/drama the RC vs Reed vs Bubba (in all it's variations) that these three brought...
True. Left in good hands, but not nearly the same. The charisma/drama the RC vs Reed vs Bubba (in all it's variations) that these three brought to the sport was something special.

As they say, style makes fights.
Good point.
Grizz
7/19/2014 9:18pm
Grizz wrote:

Without a guy like Tomac...I think it would be depressing. But Tomac has been the one guy now, for a while...who has shown speed that on...
Without a guy like Tomac...I think it would be depressing. But Tomac has been the one guy now, for a while...who has shown speed that on a different level (Like MC did in SX...like RC did outdoors...like Stew did in SX....like RV did in both). So at least in MX...we have a guy racing still who can ride on that otherworldly level.
Roczen? Lol but yea the future is bright.
Crush
7/19/2014 9:24pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

Agree.

Reed obviously showed this year if he's prepared he can do it, just seems like outdoors of an injury is too much again... and realistically Bubba could still blast a couple wins this season if he gets out of the right side of bed.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
7/19/2014 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 9:59pm
This is stupid. Stewart is still fast enough to win. Something has been up the last few races. Maybe the PED issue is messing with his head. His future is uncertain. However, I wouldn't write him off just yet.

And sheesh! Reed is coming back from a nasty injury. He was killing it in SX until his crash. If his heart is in it he has wins and possibly another C-ship. The dude is tough as nails. If he can get healthy and keep it on 2 wheels he'll be right there in SX2015. I can see him running the pace with anyone. I don't see him slowing down. When he feels he can't keep the pace he'll retire straight up. He's injured. Cut him some slack.

And I don't believe Tomac or Roczen could hang with RV if he was racing this year.

Have a nice day!
Radical
7/19/2014 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 10:37pm
It is not really about physical endurance and fitness. If it were...you would see those guys run at speed early in the race..then fade. They can...
malachi177 wrote:
Stewy went 1-1 a few weeks ago, so saying they can't run top speed for one lap....is just trying to stir the pot.
Things seem to have to be just right for Stew to go that fast. At HP...he was so pumped on how the bike was working. He clearly felt very confident about the bike...and that translates into a willingness to just go fast. Also..HP is a pretty euro style tech type track..with few line choices and very long ruts. Not really a just pin it and go fast down the middle of track deal.

Watch clips from Tomac today...and watch Stew in the same sections. Not the turns...not the jumps...just the random choppy rough stuff. Those guys are just going faster. ET was hitting stuff harder...and just seeing what happens. That is the confident reckless abandon I am talking about. I think that as riders get older...they have accumulated the bad experiences...they know what can go wrong...and at a certain age...they just can not go as fast unless they are really feeling it.

SX is a much more technical and controlled discipline...and less of that pin it and hope for the best mentality exists. That is why I think Jame and Chad can compete at a higher level there than in MX.
7/19/2014 10:41pm
Grizz wrote:

Without a guy like Tomac...I think it would be depressing. But Tomac has been the one guy now, for a while...who has shown speed that on...
Grizz wrote:
Roczen? Lol but yea the future is bright.
I dont know...I don't recall seeing KR do things like ET did last year. Top guy yes....but did you ever see KR blasting around 2-3 a lap faster than everyone? I dont recall KR ever showing that sort of ludicrous speed...but ET has done it a lot of times. The only other guy I can think off the last few years that has also done it is Blake Baggett.

Post a reply to: The End Of an Era

The Latest