The Best (and Worst) Thing I've done to a Dirtbike

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 4:45am
Disclaimer: I had no idea where to post this. Moto-related? Sort of. Bike builds? Technically. Non-Moto? Maybe. Mods - feel free to toss this wherever it needs to be... including the trash

I've been riding dirtbikes for well over half my life now and like the rest of you knuckleheads I love them more than I probably should. I've ridden a dozen different streetbikes from every genre and built a few but just never felt at home like I did in the dirt. Last month I finally pulled the trigger on a barely used 05 CRF450X, got it plated in KY (shockingly easy) and found some brand new supermoto wheels on craigslist.

I always thought this type of conversion was the most asinine thing you could do to a dirtbike until I rode it for the first time. I am hooked. Light enough to hop on and rip around town without much effort, while still powerful enough to get into serious trouble. These 17"s feel like you can lay the bike over at any speed and they'll just keep on stickin'. Plus, having the stock dirt wheels/tires/brakes/etc means I can go back to a single track warrior in about 20 minutes.

Any other newly converted 'motards out there? I'm well aware of supermoto junkie, but come on, Vital is the place to be for anything two wheels.

Single track/harescramble/farm tiller:

Supermoto/commuter/parking lot ripper:

|
mxtech1
6/28/2017 9:50am
I was always under the impression that it was impossible to register these for street use. It was my understanding that if the OEM categorized a model as "off road use only" it was prohibited for registration.

Holigan
6/28/2017 9:58am
The worst thing I ever did to a motorcycle was put Armor All on the seat. You only do that once in life.
6/28/2017 10:03am
mxtech1 wrote:
I was always under the impression that it was impossible to register these for street use. It was my understanding that if the OEM categorized a...
I was always under the impression that it was impossible to register these for street use. It was my understanding that if the OEM categorized a model as "off road use only" it was prohibited for registration.

Some states have less stringent requires, and there are loopholes.

If you get a bike registered in Vermont, you can somehow get it plated in Mass, but you have to be a resident of Vermont.
MudPup545
6/28/2017 10:09am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2017 10:09am
Holigan wrote:
The worst thing I ever did to a motorcycle was put Armor All on the seat. You only do that once in life.
Did the same thing on a Yamaha Viper 700 snowmobile once. Key word....once.

The Shop

JWACK
6/28/2017 10:55am
Holigan wrote:
Ha! I feel you. I literally fell off the back of my Yz 250 two stoke in a rut because it hooked up so good. Not because I was looping out, because I had greased the seat with armor all. Hilarious when it happened but not again.
EastFlorida
6/28/2017 11:14am
Best thing - REKLUSE EXP

Worst thing - Barum wraparound front tire (seemed like a good idea back in 1980! LOL)

Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
6/28/2017 11:58am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2017 12:00pm
mxtech1 wrote:
I was always under the impression that it was impossible to register these for street use. It was my understanding that if the OEM categorized a...

Turns out in KY, you just need a sheriff's inspection saying that it's got the required equipment, and an affidavit which states that you want to convert it to street use. I got the to-do list from the capital and took it into my small town's courthouse and really made a mess. After being very suspicious they finally took my money and I walked out with a plate. Also a new title which lists it as an on road motorcycle
jasonward73
6/28/2017 12:00pm
Best mod ever.... REKLUSE x 1,000,000,000,000,000
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
6/28/2017 12:03pm
Holigan wrote:
MudPup545 wrote:
Did the same thing on a Yamaha Viper 700 snowmobile once. Key word....once.
I remember when I first tired to "detail" my little TTR90. Armor All on the seat, tires, grips, and anything plastic. Looked real good until it inevitably ended up in the ditch.
HenryA
6/28/2017 12:10pm
Holigan wrote:
Been there done that. Also tried WD-40 on my brake discs. SmileSmileSmile
6/28/2017 12:15pm
Is there some kind of keyed ignition you can put on there for added security? What stops some guy from just hopping on the bike, kick starting it, and riding off with it if you have it parked out in a parking lot?
Braaaphole
6/28/2017 12:31pm
I had the Aprilia SXV 450 supermoto and it was a riot. You think that thing is fun now, get the suspension setup for supermoto and see how hard you can push it in corners. I had my SXV dialed and used to freak people out as I passed them in corners. It was amazing how well it stuck to the road and went wherever I pointed it with ease. Have fun, but be careful. People drive like idiots.
Jordan Dogtown
Fantasy
932nd
6/28/2017 12:41pm
Is there some kind of keyed ignition you can put on there for added security? What stops some guy from just hopping on the bike, kick...
Is there some kind of keyed ignition you can put on there for added security? What stops some guy from just hopping on the bike, kick starting it, and riding off with it if you have it parked out in a parking lot?
I've got probably a pessimistic outlook on that. I can get a keyswitch, steering lock, hub lock, the whole nine yards, and if two guys are really set on stealing it, they'll just throw it in the back of a truck and be off with it anyways. I plan on getting a key anyway, just to stop passersby from "wondering what it sounds like".

Knock on wood, I live in a super small town that's relatively safe and never leave the bike parked in places that I can't see it when I'm out. Kind of a pain sitting by the windows at a restaurant and checking over your shoulder but, to me, it's worth it. And I've always been paranoid enough to do that with any vehicle.
6/28/2017 12:46pm
Holigan wrote:
HenryA wrote:
Or on street bike tires.

Worst thing I've done is forgetting to reconnect the auto-lube hose on my wife's 2 stroke trailbike after some late night carb maintenance, and sending it out with her the next day.
loftyair
6/28/2017 1:15pm
Even in strict california, the dmv says it's ok, and takes your money. Then the popo stop you, gives you a ticket, and bam, more money! As long as money is coming in, it's all good!
agn5009
6/28/2017 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2017 1:35pm
mxtech1 wrote:

It is that way in PA. You basically have to get everything for the bike to be road legal, get a reconstructed vehicle title and take it to a certain inspection station for reconstructed bikes. Its a pain in the ass so just buy a ktm or husky.
6/28/2017 4:15pm
This is exactly the route I'm jonsin to go with my next bike purchase. Weege's comments in the 2017 KTM EXC test ride video really hit home with me. The versatility is just too bitchin to not go for. Being able to rip some local back roads, slip into the woods and pound a moto or two out of your system then be home again within an hour or two just sounds glorious...

Vermont plated 1995 KTM 550 MXC Supermoto, anyone? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-KTM-Other-/302362443310?hash=item466634be2…

6/28/2017 4:20pm
Holigan wrote:
Haha! I have to agree, I did this as a kid. It was not a good first moto.
Ted722
6/28/2017 4:34pm
One of the first times I washed my XR75, I filled that up-angled exhaust with water until it was full. Couldn't understand why I was having trouble starting it. (I was 9). Finally got it started and it shot a bunch of water into the air!

What'd I learn? Fill it with a little less water next time so it starts easier...Laughing
FTB
6/28/2017 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2017 4:55pm
Worst thing I've done. XR 75, put the carby slide in the wrong way around (I was about 10 at the time), then push started it. Went straight through a pine log post fence at the end of the court while being dragged along side of the bike Laughing .

I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
6/28/2017 4:53pm
mxtech1 wrote:

I have plated many dirt bikes in AZ,right now I have a plated KTM 300XCW.I plated tit so I could ride from home to the mountain trails that I frequent.
As far as the supermoto goes,The two that I have owned were the most fun street bikes I have ever owned.
FTB
6/28/2017 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2017 5:29pm
As long as it has a compliance plate, we can rego it for the road. If it doesn't have a compliance plate, you need an engineers report.

CR 500X with Rego and Rekluse.
6/28/2017 8:26pm

Best thing: spent my buddies cash to do a complete on his 05 YZ 250.

Worst thing: Telling the model to get behind the bike after she forgot her bathing suit bottom.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/28/2017 8:33pm
Not me, but still funny. I remember traveling to a race with the Reynards one year. Anyway, his cousin got to talking about some of the bike maintenance he did the night before. He was proud that he got the rust off his front rotor (not much, just a little spot where the pads were after washing it) by spraying WD-40 on it!LaughingLaughing

True story.
mikec265
6/28/2017 10:42pm
When I was 12 i thought bleeding the air out of my shock was a good idea... Who hasn't Armor Alled a seat once?

Best thing was either paying for a decent suspension job, or just riding the hell out my first new bike.
6/29/2017 2:17am
mikec265 wrote:
When I was 12 i thought bleeding the air out of my shock was a good idea... Who hasn't Armor Alled a seat once? Best thing...
When I was 12 i thought bleeding the air out of my shock was a good idea... Who hasn't Armor Alled a seat once?

Best thing was either paying for a decent suspension job, or just riding the hell out my first new bike.
Gotta bleed the air somehow! Woohoo
Turbojez
6/29/2017 2:29am
Best thing I did was put some spoke skinz on my bike Bro. It looks amazing, ladies love'em and guys are green with envy every time I roll to the track or wheelie between them cars.
Spydee
6/29/2017 3:06am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 3:11am
Holigan wrote:
HenryA wrote:
Hahah my mate did that a couple of weeks ago. He was under the impression it would prevent the brakes from squeaking Grinning

Worst thing I ever done to mine was spray painting the plastics and tank black when I was a teenager. Seemed like a genius idea until I took it out for a ride and it started to flake off.

Best thing I ever did was trade in my KX250F for another RM125.

Edit - flakey spray paint fail:

Crush
6/29/2017 4:45am
Holigan wrote:
hehe, first 80cc I ever rode, the dude had it up for sale, cleaned up with amorall on the seat. I took it for a quick spin in a grassy paddock. I was happy the grass was long haha

Post a reply to: The Best (and Worst) Thing I've done to a Dirtbike

The Latest