The 2-stroke conundrum....

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
Edited Date/Time 11/8/2014 9:54pm
Ok, this has all been hashed out 9 ways to Sunday, with everyone weighing in on their side of the fence.......

But, what's a reasonable end game to get the big 4 producing two stoke race bikes again?

Here's the conundrum as we stand.....

-4 stroke sales are good
- KTM is making moves, and selling out their 2 stroke stock yearly
- KTM 4 stroke SX sales dwarf 2 stroke
- and Yamaha is looking at their 2 stroke sales thinking they don't warrant R&D dollars

The problem is the used 2-stroke market. It never moves a needle or reaches desks in Japan. They don't grasp the market for 08 RM250's and the such.

My overall point, is how do desk jockeys in Japan get the massage from used bike sales? Does KTM release a DI 2-stroke and change the game to the point they just now compete?
|
Outsider
11/7/2014 4:08pm
Two strokes suck, four strokes truck! Tongue

What is this mythical DI 2 stroke everyone speaks of?
Spartacus
11/7/2014 4:20pm
Simple.

Everyone that wants a 2T should go out and buy a NEW one. Husky/KTM/Yamaha/Gas Gas/TM/etc. Enough people buy new and the land of the rising sun may [I repeat may] take notice.

The only problem with that idea is availability of dealers. The Japanese dealers are on every corner while the boutique bike dealers are few and far between.

I'm not holding my breath.
Torco1
11/7/2014 4:26pm
They just don't have the interest in making 2-strokes right now. I don't know if you've ever talked with or done business with Japanese companies and the workers, they are very proud and hard working people and progression is always their goal. For them to go back to building and producing 2-strokes isn't progression for them at this time. I'm sure they are well aware of the used 2-stroke market but it's really not all that concerning to them right now. Maybe KTM will be the savior for 2-stroke fans, but I wouldn't count on the other four to fire up the 2-stroke jigs anytime soon.
Skippie
11/7/2014 4:39pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Ok, this has all been hashed out 9 ways to Sunday, with everyone weighing in on their side of the fence....... But, what's a reasonable end...
Ok, this has all been hashed out 9 ways to Sunday, with everyone weighing in on their side of the fence.......

But, what's a reasonable end game to get the big 4 producing two stoke race bikes again?

Here's the conundrum as we stand.....

-4 stroke sales are good
- KTM is making moves, and selling out their 2 stroke stock yearly
- KTM 4 stroke SX sales dwarf 2 stroke
- and Yamaha is looking at their 2 stroke sales thinking they don't warrant R&D dollars

The problem is the used 2-stroke market. It never moves a needle or reaches desks in Japan. They don't grasp the market for 08 RM250's and the such.

My overall point, is how do desk jockeys in Japan get the massage from used bike sales? Does KTM release a DI 2-stroke and change the game to the point they just now compete?
The day they start losing money on 4-stroke sales due to used 2st and new ones is the day they will start making them again. As long as they are making money now and selling all their bikes there is no reason for them to put millions more into R/D.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/7/2014 4:45pm
It's the old chicken vs. egg syndrome.

It will cost lots and lots of R&D money to produce even a re-hashed 2008 motorcycle with new plastic. (I bet someone at Yamaha can confirm for me.) In order to spend that money, a manufacturer will have to have a reasonable assurance that they will reap a return on investment. To be assured, they look at sales data.

Sadly, the sales data from 1998 onward presents a stark reality: people bought more and more 4-strokes, and fewer and fewer 2-strokes. Extrapolating the data no doubt shows only a very mild resurgence in new 2-stroke sales over the past 2-3 years, even with continued improvement by KTM and now Husqvarna. For a manufacturer to throw their hat into a very small ring in hopes of capturing a slice of market share doesn't make much sense to the bean counters. Even if they create some Earth-shattering 2-stroke that corners the market, the truth is that market is hardly any bigger than the one for CRF50s, and probably much smaller than the market for scooters. It does not make economic sense.

There is only one thing that will bring back 2-strokes: people must stop buying new thumpers and start buying new 2-strokes - in very big numbers.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
11/7/2014 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 4:48pm
You will see electric motocross bikes before you see a newly designed Japanese 2-stroke...end of story....then you all will be screaming for the Japanese to bring back 4-strokes Cool
BAMX
11/7/2014 4:49pm
Spartacus wrote:
Simple. Everyone that wants a 2T should go out and buy a NEW one. Husky/KTM/Yamaha/Gas Gas/TM/etc. Enough people buy new and the land of the rising...
Simple.

Everyone that wants a 2T should go out and buy a NEW one. Husky/KTM/Yamaha/Gas Gas/TM/etc. Enough people buy new and the land of the rising sun may [I repeat may] take notice.

The only problem with that idea is availability of dealers. The Japanese dealers are on every corner while the boutique bike dealers are few and far between.

They way I see it, most people don't have the money or need for the newest bikes. If you could buy a 2006 CRF450 and put $350 into it to freshen the top and bottom end, they would be in demand too.
Skippie
11/7/2014 4:51pm
BAMX wrote:
They way I see it, most people don't have the money or need for the newest bikes. If you could buy a 2006 CRF450 and put...
They way I see it, most people don't have the money or need for the newest bikes. If you could buy a 2006 CRF450 and put $350 into it to freshen the top and bottom end, they would be in demand too.
Then don't expect manufacturers to make a new bike when people will just go out and buy a used one.
Jack mehoff
11/7/2014 5:04pm
It's called globalization they use that 250 /450!motor in just about every poor country's bikes , think about all the R&D they save just a few motors to build and put them in diffrent bikes all over the world look at Hondas international line off bikes and count how may bikes its in you would be shocked
BAMX
11/7/2014 5:14pm
BAMX wrote:
They way I see it, most people don't have the money or need for the newest bikes. If you could buy a 2006 CRF450 and put...
Skippie wrote:
Then don't expect manufacturers to make a new bike when people will just go out and buy a used one.
I must have missed the part where I expected the manufacturers to do anything.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
11/7/2014 7:17pm
This is really simple now, they are watching how successful electric bikes do and emissions laws do the next couple years. 4 stroke can have cat converters added way easier then a 2 stroke.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
11/7/2014 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 8:46pm
There is no solution. I don't think 2-strokes will fully disappear, but this is the way it's going to stay. Buying a new 2-stroke never helped and it won't help now! (The only people saying this are 4-strokers who are laughing at the fools believing this baloney). Honda Kawasaki and Suzuki will never again make another 2-stroke for sale in the US. Never.
jeffro503
11/7/2014 8:42pm
Bottom line is that it just costs a lot more to rebuild a 4 stroke compared to what we used to have to put into a 2 stroke rebuild.

It really is as simple as a money thing.

But for us guys ( like me ).....I like them both. Like riding them both. I love my 4 stroke 450 and I love my 2 stroke 250.

But if I was given a choice to have to rebuild one........of course it would be the 2 stroke hands down. Because I could do it myself. I look at my 450.....and confusion sets in. Well.....that and I see my bank account taking a big hit haha.
Markopolo400
11/8/2014 12:54pm
I would put money on the big OEMs have thrown away all their production tooling since they got rid of 2 strokes...Molds for plastics, frame jigs, engine casting molds...etc (They probably still have minimal tooling for service parts)

To reproduce all that now, as well as the investment in retooling/setting up an assembly line is BIG $$$s. I guarantee they have looked at bringing 2-strokes back (They aren't dumb), and have decided that the margin and bike sales aren't there anymore to justify the huge reinvestment.

Why is KTM different? They are a much smaller company, and have the flexibility to change directions as a company whenever they want. (Fewer levels of Execs to go through to make things happen).
RM127
11/8/2014 1:13pm
Have we ever gotten sales numbers from KTM?

Like how many two strokes vs four strokes they sell every year?

Edit:

Just found this link:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/01/21/manufacturers/ktm/ktm-announces-r…

"The Austrian manufacturer sold 123,859 motorcycles in 2013, compared to the previous annual sales record of 107,142 motorcycles set in 2012"

But that includes street bikes too.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/8/2014 1:26pm
Honda is a lost cause. They take pride in being a 4-stroke only company. If anything I could see Suzuki make 2 stroke again..... But that's still a stretch.

I think the first domino required to fall will be a professional rules change allowing equal displacement. Once that happens, and a bulk of privateers and a few factory-ish guys are on a YZ or KTM 250 2-stroke I think Kawisaki and Suzuki will take notice and POSSIBABLY re-enter the market. With that said, it'll never happen..... And this is all pointless speculation, but I've been trying to conjure up a scenario where someone starts production again, and R&D dollars are invested, but I can't.

Hell, even the almighty KTM is just a 8 year old motor in a 250f frame. There isn't really any R&D there either. We'll see if the DI comes to furition or not.....
mnomis484
11/8/2014 2:24pm
@mxking809: 8year old motor?
The 2015 250 and 125 both have different engine cases, cylinders, pistons, flywheels, ignitions, reeds,pipes,... than the 2007 models.
The 250 even has a diferent size carburetor (not sure when it was changed, i believe 07 but it could be 06) and the dds clutch.

Also they have a different frame geometry than the 250f.

In my opinion the only manufacturer that could possibly make a new two stroke bike would be kawasaki since they just updated their 85.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/8/2014 3:41pm
mnomis484 wrote:
@mxking809: 8year old motor? The 2015 250 and 125 both have different engine cases, cylinders, pistons, flywheels, ignitions, reeds,pipes,... than the 2007 models. The 250 even...
@mxking809: 8year old motor?
The 2015 250 and 125 both have different engine cases, cylinders, pistons, flywheels, ignitions, reeds,pipes,... than the 2007 models.
The 250 even has a diferent size carburetor (not sure when it was changed, i believe 07 but it could be 06) and the dds clutch.

Also they have a different frame geometry than the 250f.

In my opinion the only manufacturer that could possibly make a new two stroke bike would be kawasaki since they just updated their 85.
You can argue that the cylinder and head are different on the 14's. I have one, and the 300 kits fit 8+ years. Ignition tweaks and carb sizes are just pulling things out of a different parts bin. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome bikes, and they DO put effort into them....but it's not a new unique bike. They're adaptions of the 4-Stoke model line.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
11/8/2014 4:58pm
Brad460 wrote:
You will see electric motocross bikes before you see a newly designed Japanese 2-stroke...end of story....then you all will be screaming for the Japanese to bring...
You will see electric motocross bikes before you see a newly designed Japanese 2-stroke...end of story....then you all will be screaming for the Japanese to bring back 4-strokes Cool
Agree that electric bikes will be here before 2 strokes make a comeback on the production line. Disagree that 4 strokes will be missed that much after about a decade.
endurox
11/8/2014 7:49pm
Maybe for sx/mx 4 strokes are an advantage(only because of 2 times the displacement) but for off road the 2 stroke rules.
Just look at Kalib Russell smoking all the factory 450's on a 150 2 stroke. Honda will probably complain to the ama about the
advantage of a 150 2 stroke and have the ama change the rules to dissallow a smaller size bike to run in the 450 class.
11/8/2014 9:54pm
Spartacus wrote:
Simple. Everyone that wants a 2T should go out and buy a NEW one. Husky/KTM/Yamaha/Gas Gas/TM/etc. Enough people buy new and the land of the rising...
Simple.

Well, I can safely say I've done my part. My TC250 has maybe an hour on it now.

Post a reply to: The 2-stroke conundrum....

The Latest