Thats why Dunge is a conservative racer.

Sandberm
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2015 10:03pm
Whistling I bet Dunge looks at the pass Canard tried on Reed and just shakes his head and says,

"See! Thats why I race the way I do. Try to force the issue and you end up on the ground (and finishing 7th not 2nd)"

Dunge has this realism about his abilities , or lack thereof ,to make slick "woah, did you see that!" passes and he knows he doesnt have that sudden burst of speed in him to squirt by guys or make hard block passes without both guys going down. Rare is the racer who is as crafty and skilled as RV, and I think Roczen, to make slick quick passes.

Dunge, just steadily,methodically, placing his way to the 2015 sx championship.Tongue

|
JB 19
1/22/2015 8:08am
Sandberm wrote:
:whistle: I bet Dunge looks at the pass Canard tried on Reed and just shakes his head and says, [b] "See! Thats why I race the...
Whistling I bet Dunge looks at the pass Canard tried on Reed and just shakes his head and says,

"See! Thats why I race the way I do. Try to force the issue and you end up on the ground (and finishing 7th not 2nd)"

Dunge has this realism about his abilities , or lack thereof ,to make slick "woah, did you see that!" passes and he knows he doesnt have that sudden burst of speed in him to squirt by guys or make hard block passes without both guys going down. Rare is the racer who is as crafty and skilled as RV, and I think Roczen, to make slick quick passes.

Dunge, just steadily,methodically, placing his way to the 2015 sx championship.Tongue

Add you to the list of people who think you have to wreck someone to pass them. Did you watch him last week? Made plenty of quick passes.
newmann
1/22/2015 8:20am
Dungey is a bit tough to watch sometimes but the guy flat out hauls ass, always runs near the front and seldom makes mistakes. Keeps you on the edge of the seat sometimes wanting him to crank it up just a notch or two.
Fearo
1/22/2015 8:21am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 8:23am
Dungey is a smart racer for sure. There's nothing wrong with being a conservative racer when the time is right. The problem is, if you want to win at that level, sometimes you have to force the issue and that's where things get tricky. Lots of guys either go full retard (Barcia, Canard,...) while others (like Dungey) stay conservative at all times. But there's one thing that all GREAT champions have in common, and it's that "killer instinct", which is the ability to take chances when needed, and to back of when it's not needed like Villopoto, Roczen,...

If you REALLY watch the races, you'll know Villopoto has won A BUNCH of races where he wasn't even the fastest or the 'best' guy there. He sprints when he needs to, backs off when it's not feeling right, and straight up demoralizes the competition sometimes by letting someone catch up, and doing a sprint lap after.

I'm a big Dungey supporter but it's frustrating to watch him ride sometimes. He seems to be always focused of fitness, bike setup and outright speed, but that's not gonna win you a title this year unless you holeshot every race, or your speed is out of this world. In my opinion, there's too many guys not embracing the mental aspect of racing enough. Some guys are just too dumb, but others (like Dungey) could do better.
joeellis
1/22/2015 8:27am
Sandberm wrote:
:whistle: I bet Dunge looks at the pass Canard tried on Reed and just shakes his head and says, [b] "See! Thats why I race the...

I believe much of this depends on a racer's personality too. Some are more naturally aggressive than others. Some will just barrel in and take the position away from the rider in front on them, while others wait for a more suitable time to pass, at least until they can't wait any longer. The more aggressive guys do occassionally cause another rider and even themselves to crash on occassion. I think Ryan bides his time and feels his fitness will get him around the rider in front of him eventually, but that is putting thoughts in his head.

Another key imo is that Ryan remains healthy for the most part. He and Roczen are two of the fastest guys out there every week while going down very little. That is amazing in itself to me and indicates how talented these two are. They are both probably riding closer to the edge of their abilities than we realize, but tend to stay upright the majority of the time.

These qualities serve two very important things imo. They are always near the lead in points, their careers will probably last longer than many and they may both walk away from the sport healthy. As fans and possibly as racers, we want to see these guys push to the point of insanity, but when these guys retire at the early ages they do, there should remain the majority of their lives. This is a huge consideration. I'm sure many old school football players that can barely get around would tell us this.

As you said, if Ryan were to push harder like everyone seems to want, it could be detrimental for his results and possibly very detrimental. He is for the most part the second best guy (consistently) every year recently, both indoors and out. Everyone can't be the winner. Only one can and with RV and KRoc out there, that is a huge hurdle.

The Shop

Sandberm
1/22/2015 8:33am
I think Dunge is thinking as long as there isnt a "muddy Indiana" round he has a good chance at grinding this championship out.

Roczen has yet to prove he wont have a late season swoon. I bet thats what JT$ is thinking
MR. X
1/22/2015 8:37am
He was closing in on Roczen until he missed the triple at the end of the race.
BD233
1/22/2015 8:40am
I think Dunge has looked better the last few rounds...we'll see. He has a little attitude going right now...I like it.
joeellis
1/22/2015 8:41am
Sandberm wrote:
I think Dunge is thinking as long as there isnt a "muddy Indiana" round he has a good chance at grinding this championship out. Roczen has...
I think Dunge is thinking as long as there isnt a "muddy Indiana" round he has a good chance at grinding this championship out.

Roczen has yet to prove he wont have a late season swoon. I bet thats what JT$ is thinking
I agree with you, but I believe this is becoming mor and more difficult. I actually believe RV and now KRoc have caused Dungey to become even better, but they are both so dang talented that they are difficult to beat when they are on. I really believe Dungey has the talent and speed to win more often, but at what cost. Does he chance the overall to try and win more often? Kenny has become so fit and consistent that under normal circumstances he will podium. I know he has faded at times, but I really believe this will become less often. Just my opiniom though.
IWreckALot
1/22/2015 8:50am
Sandberm wrote:
I think Dunge is thinking as long as there isnt a "muddy Indiana" round he has a good chance at grinding this championship out. Roczen has...

joeellis wrote:
I agree with you, but I believe this is becoming mor and more difficult. I actually believe RV and now KRoc have caused Dungey to become...
I agree with you, but I believe this is becoming mor and more difficult. I actually believe RV and now KRoc have caused Dungey to become even better, but they are both so dang talented that they are difficult to beat when they are on. I really believe Dungey has the talent and speed to win more often, but at what cost. Does he chance the overall to try and win more often? Kenny has become so fit and consistent that under normal circumstances he will podium. I know he has faded at times, but I really believe this will become less often. Just my opiniom though.
I was really surprised that they shaved the 10 pounds off the bike. I just figured that all of the bikes were right at the weight limit for some reason. I don't really follow bike's weights very much.

Dungey looked great last week. Hoping he can keep it up. I'm afraid this might be the season that KRoc keeps himself together the whole season. I think Aldon's training really kicks in during the second year with him. That kind of lagging doesn't resolve itself overnight. I'm thinking Dungey is just going to have to beat KRoc at his peak performance to win a championship. I think it's doable but it'll be an interesting battle. And only time will tell if I'm right about KRoc and Aldon. . . clearly.
davistld01
1/22/2015 9:21am
Ryan is one of the damned few top-level riders who has proven once and again that he can do a whole season without injury...and still be on the box more times than not. Maybe not on the top step every time, but when the smoke clears the proof that he's still one of the elite is always there. I think RD gets badmouthed a lot for not being aggressive enough...but most of the riders that are, wind up on the ground before long with a broken or tweaked this or that. I believe Ryan has a keen sense of knowing exactly where his personal edge is, and how far he can push it without taking the risk of falling. Hard to finish enough races to win a championship if you spend most of your time in the Asterisk rig.
Suns_PSD
1/22/2015 9:27am
I have a lot of respect for this guy. Just because he has the ability to ride at his 99.99% doesn't mean he should be knocked.

Other riders aren't really faster, they just aren't wise enough to know their actual limits and they end up on their heads.

Walking away from this sport, healthy, after many years as a front runner, with several championships, and having made millions is about as good as it gets.

Would you rather him ride like Magoo? Sure it's exciting to watch but there is little longevity in that approach.

PS. No disrespect meant to one of the most entertaining racers of all time, Mr. Chandler.
Flip109
1/22/2015 9:29am
I like dungey because he never acts like a whiney little bitch. When he loses he loses. No excuses no bullshit just goes back to work to get better. Doesn't get better than that.
Manbearpig
1/22/2015 9:40am
I think Ryan is a genius racer. How many times has he missed a race due to injury??

He has blistering speed regardless of his passing strategies. I still vividly remember his Southwick moto in 2010 where he had mechanical issues and was almost lapped and caught up to seventh I believe. The man can pass and ride aggressive he just chooses not to I believe in hopes of putting himself in the championship hunt at years end. If we want aggressive passing and risking season points we have a handful of riders we can watch cut their season short by doing so. I just appreciate the guys skills on a bike and his image he brings our sport. Golf clap fro the dunge.
newmann
1/22/2015 10:04am
How many Championships did Jeff Stanton win by being conservative? 7? That guy was not the smoothest or most naturally talented guy out there but made up for it with sheer f'n determination and hard work.
MT MX
1/22/2015 10:22am
Flip109 wrote:
I like dungey because he never acts like a whiney little bitch. When he loses he loses. No excuses no bullshit just goes back to work...
I like dungey because he never acts like a whiney little bitch. When he loses he loses. No excuses no bullshit just goes back to work to get better. Doesn't get better than that.
X2
I think alot of that attitude comes from because he didn't have an amateur career like alot of these guys did.
CR250Rider
1/22/2015 10:31am
Every race he DOESN'T get hurt extends his career. I appreciate his conservative style.
peelout
1/22/2015 10:32am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 10:33am
i thought Dungey was awesome at A2, he made passes quick when he needed to and was very aggressively attacking the track. he'll win one in the next 3 is my guess.

Kenny is on rails though, that kid get's more and more impressive
Old Mate
1/22/2015 10:40am
Add up the competition points for the AMA 450 class in both mx and sx championships since 2010. Not even Villipoto is close to Dungey and he has 5 times the points of most top pro's. Dungey now has consistent competition, can Roczen go every week.
IWreckALot
1/22/2015 10:59am
Manbearpig wrote:
I think Ryan is a genius racer. How many times has he missed a race due to injury?? He has blistering speed regardless of his passing...
I think Ryan is a genius racer. How many times has he missed a race due to injury??

He has blistering speed regardless of his passing strategies. I still vividly remember his Southwick moto in 2010 where he had mechanical issues and was almost lapped and caught up to seventh I believe. The man can pass and ride aggressive he just chooses not to I believe in hopes of putting himself in the championship hunt at years end. If we want aggressive passing and risking season points we have a handful of riders we can watch cut their season short by doing so. I just appreciate the guys skills on a bike and his image he brings our sport. Golf clap fro the dunge.
That Southwick ride was definitely one of the staples that makes Dungey who he is as a rider and person.

I remember I first recalled seeing him ride when he was on the Suzuki 250. He ended up wadding it up and doing a front flip over the bars. It was one of the more spectacular crashes I had seen and he got back up and finished the race in a respectable position. It's been too long now but I was just getting into the sport at the time and that incident stuck out to me.
1/22/2015 11:05am
Manbearpig wrote:
I think Ryan is a genius racer. How many times has he missed a race due to injury?? He has blistering speed regardless of his passing...

IWreckALot wrote:
That Southwick ride was definitely one of the staples that makes Dungey who he is as a rider and person. I remember I first recalled seeing...
That Southwick ride was definitely one of the staples that makes Dungey who he is as a rider and person.

I remember I first recalled seeing him ride when he was on the Suzuki 250. He ended up wadding it up and doing a front flip over the bars. It was one of the more spectacular crashes I had seen and he got back up and finished the race in a respectable position. It's been too long now but I was just getting into the sport at the time and that incident stuck out to me.
gharmon
1/22/2015 11:06am
Y'all remember one of RV's first interviews after it was made public he was headed to Europe. It might have been the pulp show but he was asked he would put his money on for the title and he said without hesitation that his money was on Dungey to win the title!
ChrisB10
1/22/2015 11:14am
OP Dunge could be more aggressive without landing on someone c'mon.....
IWreckALot
1/22/2015 11:28am
Manbearpig wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
That Southwick ride was definitely one of the staples that makes Dungey who he is as a rider and person. I remember I first recalled seeing...

[img]http://vurbmoto.com/media/uploads/articles/2009/20090604_dungeyresize/6.jpg[/img]
I think that's it. When was that and where at?
fidiot
1/22/2015 11:45am
Dungey is doing it right. If he keeps riding the way he has been all these years, then he will have a long career and retire rich and healthy. Many pros don't get to do that.
blusmbl
1/22/2015 11:50am
That was Red Bud in 2008, I believe.
FI2T
1/22/2015 12:16pm
RD is a smart rider... hard to believe he gets trashed on so much. He is always in the fight. I think he learned from his 250 days with jlaw. He was on the ground a lot then.
1/22/2015 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 12:46pm
Only mistake Dunge made was getting married so soon. I would have been flipping Monster girls like Mc Donalds hamburgers
Carlos Z
1/22/2015 2:34pm
Only mistake Dunge made was getting married so soon. I would have been flipping Monster girls like Mc Donalds hamburgers
LOL. DITTO
1/22/2015 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2015 3:39pm

Post a reply to: Thats why Dunge is a conservative racer.

The Latest