Text 'Magoo' to...

SammyD
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:33pm
I managed to get in touch with the founder of the largest text donation service in the US - the same guys heading the Haiti campaign. Linkedin works!

So picture this (he gave me this idea). You're at a supercross race or a national. It's close to the main, everyone has had a few beers, Carmichael/ Bailey/ McGrath/ whoever gets up on screen, tells the fans about the Magoo Van Fund/ Riderdown.org/ Asterix Medical Foundation and asks them to text e.g. 'Magoo' to 90999 to donate $10. Say 2% of 50,000 fans do it - $10,000 right there, times 17 rounds = $170,000....

The guy was telling me that they'll do this at baseball games, along with an incentive that one of the lucky texters will get to meet the coach of the team or something like that. Texts start flying in, they track 'em real time...

Here's the catch. The phone carriers that support these programs only work with non-profits that currently pull in at least $500,000 per year through regular donations.

So the reason for my post - I now need to get hold of someone that has an mx-affiliated non-profit that meets this (and some other) criteria. Alternatively, if there is an MX charity that is small, but that is part of a much larger parent charity then this can work too. Please respond here or PM me with ideas, thanks.

|
Racer92
1/29/2010 8:22am
IMHO $10 is too much for that type of application. Go with a lesser amount and you might have better luck.

JE215
Fantasy
1316th
1/29/2010 8:34am
$10 too much? Cell phone users alone donated over $9 million within a week after the Haiti earthquake. And that was with a $10 text message. I think that amount is just right. IMHO
jbomx363
1/29/2010 8:34am
Good Luck.. this is an excellent idea.
jbomx363
1/29/2010 8:41am
JE215 wrote:
$10 too much? Cell phone users alone donated over $9 million within a week after the Haiti earthquake. And that was with a $10 text message...
$10 too much? Cell phone users alone donated over $9 million within a week after the Haiti earthquake. And that was with a $10 text message. I think that amount is just right. IMHO
Yes... in this case, I also believe $10 is a bit much with people already getting gouged at the stadium. $5 would entice more and probably produce more revenue, IMO.

Haiti is a disaster and on the news everyday. Most people at a SX won't know who or what a "Magoo" is.

The Shop

JE215
Fantasy
1316th
1/29/2010 8:47am
jbomx363 wrote:
Yes... in this case, I also believe $10 is a bit much with people already getting gouged at the stadium. $5 would entice more and probably...
Yes... in this case, I also believe $10 is a bit much with people already getting gouged at the stadium. $5 would entice more and probably produce more revenue, IMO.

Haiti is a disaster and on the news everyday. Most people at a SX won't know who or what a "Magoo" is.
True, I stand corrected.
SammyD
1/29/2010 9:36am
Thanks guys. $5 or $10 are the two options.

I will try to find out if roadtorecovery is pulling in $500k a year. If they don't, it's not going to fly, and I may have to start researching larger spinal injury/ research charities. I'm not sure if they would be willing to do something for an individual, though.
Racer92
1/29/2010 10:16am
JE215 wrote:
$10 too much? Cell phone users alone donated over $9 million within a week after the Haiti earthquake. And that was with a $10 text message...
You are comparing an earthquake disaster situation to a fund raiser for single motocross racer?

Yes, $10 is too much. Id rather see it at $1 and just watch how many people will go for it. Volume is your friend. Especially if they could get a short segment on the Jumbotron explaining Danny and his contribution to MX history during intermission.
SammyD
1/29/2010 10:20am
Unforunately $5 and $10 are the only options.
JE215
Fantasy
1316th
1/29/2010 11:25am
Racer92 wrote:
You are comparing an earthquake disaster situation to a fund raiser for single motocross racer? Yes, $10 is too much. Id rather see it at $1...
You are comparing an earthquake disaster situation to a fund raiser for single motocross racer?

Yes, $10 is too much. Id rather see it at $1 and just watch how many people will go for it. Volume is your friend. Especially if they could get a short segment on the Jumbotron explaining Danny and his contribution to MX history during intermission.
Not comparing the two events, but as Americans, we are the most charitable people in the world. And are willing to give a modest amount to a note worthy charity. That's all I was trying to say.
TerryK
1/29/2010 11:58am
This is a great idea! Let the fans pay for what most of the industry wouldn't.
tatonka
1/29/2010 1:34pm
Damn Sammy - that's a great idea whether it's $5 or $10.... I'd love to have RiderDown.org be a part of this project but we sure haven't been pulling in $500K per year!! We're working on it and there sure are enough injured riders out there who need the help. Sadly, most of the guys getting seriously hurt in this sport are not the big name pros but rather the weekend warrior/amatuer types without a fan base! Average folks working during the week to pay the bills for the family and riding on the weekends, not because they get paid but because it's their passion!

If you have any additional ideas or info on this I'm all ears....shoot me an email: bv@riderdown.org

BTW - RiderDown.org has been helping Magoo for several years now also.

Thanks,

BV

Post a reply to: Text 'Magoo' to...

The Latest