Tell me all you can about the 2004 CR250R....

JW381
4/23/2014 12:40pm
TX_187 wrote:
Ran my 02 at the track for the first time this weekend after putting it back together and noticed it was spitting quite a bit where...
Ran my 02 at the track for the first time this weekend after putting it back together and noticed it was spitting quite a bit where the pipe and silencer meet. Didn't seem very bad at all out of the silencer. Any ideas? Jetting?
Big Lenny wrote:
I think that's normal, well not normal but I put a little sealant around mine and slid that grommet back in place and you can see...
I think that's normal, well not normal but I put a little sealant around mine and slid that grommet back in place and you can see where you can put 2 zip ties around it, just zip and clip and your troubles will be over...Wink
I have this issue too, gonna do that.
beamer
4/23/2014 12:50pm
I had a '03, the first and only Honda that ive ever owned. Bought it as a project bike at the time then when I bought my new 450 in 2007 I sold it off and have missed it ever since.........great bike in my mind.
TX_187
4/23/2014 12:50pm
TX_187 wrote:
Ran my 02 at the track for the first time this weekend after putting it back together and noticed it was spitting quite a bit where...
Ran my 02 at the track for the first time this weekend after putting it back together and noticed it was spitting quite a bit where the pipe and silencer meet. Didn't seem very bad at all out of the silencer. Any ideas? Jetting?
Big Lenny wrote:
I think that's normal, well not normal but I put a little sealant around mine and slid that grommet back in place and you can see...
I think that's normal, well not normal but I put a little sealant around mine and slid that grommet back in place and you can see where you can put 2 zip ties around it, just zip and clip and your troubles will be over...Wink
Thanks again for the info. I'll give that a try.

The Shop

Tonycar107
4/23/2014 5:40pm
Instead of the air box sealing kit I used clear rtv to seal it up good. Before I could push on the air boot and I could see inside. Not good.

Man it is a good looking bike with some blue on it.
JW381
4/23/2014 7:28pm
JW381 wrote:
Sorry, couldn't help but post a pic of my '04 B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/04/20/51370/s1200_20140403_185216.jpg[/img]
Sorry, couldn't help but post a pic of my '04 Cool

Carlos Z wrote:
Nicely done. Love it.
Thank you sir, as do I. I take trips to the garage to "get water" sometimes.
CR250Rider
4/23/2014 9:01pm
Make sure the airboot is sealed (I just added some gasket goo)
100% get a pipe, the difference is night and day (PC or fmf)
Get a new Reed cage and reeds ( prefer v-force)
Jet it correctly
Watch the RC valve cables for too much slack

Enjoy the best overall bike ever built (02-07)
Big Lenny
4/23/2014 10:29pm
If you look real close you can see the aftermarket airbox plate (red) I have on mine, I think they fixed the problem by '04...

Socket946
4/24/2014 7:16am
CR250Rider wrote:
Make sure the airboot is sealed (I just added some gasket goo) 100% get a pipe, the difference is night and day (PC or fmf) Get...
Make sure the airboot is sealed (I just added some gasket goo)
100% get a pipe, the difference is night and day (PC or fmf)
Get a new Reed cage and reeds ( prefer v-force)
Jet it correctly
Watch the RC valve cables for too much slack

Enjoy the best overall bike ever built (02-07)
Is there a spec on the cables I should know?

I figure I'll have the bike in pieces after picking it up, lubing cables , linkage and headstock. Should I clean and lube the rc valve cables as well? How tight is tight for these cables?
Big Lenny
4/24/2014 7:38am
It's real simple , you'll see two cables on a butterfly like wheel, I check the "left one" with my index finger..If you can touch it against the outer case it's too loose, then adjust like most any cable until tight and check again..You can start the bike with the cover off to see if it moves freely after you're done...
Socket946
4/24/2014 7:41am
Big Lenny wrote:
It's real simple , you'll see two cables on a butterfly like wheel, I check the "left one" with my index finger..If you can touch it...
It's real simple , you'll see two cables on a butterfly like wheel, I check the "left one" with my index finger..If you can touch it against the outer case it's too loose, then adjust like most any cable until tight and check again..You can start the bike with the cover off to see if it moves freely after you're done...
K. Just start the bike with the cover off, and crack the throttle?
Big Lenny
4/24/2014 8:43am
Big Lenny wrote:
It's real simple , you'll see two cables on a butterfly like wheel, I check the "left one" with my index finger..If you can touch it...
Socket946 wrote:
K. Just start the bike with the cover off, and crack the throttle?
Yeah, you should see it move up/down,..I think a lot of people sell the bike because they think it's slow but the never check the cables on the PV, it a whole different bike when adjusted properly..I don't think I've had to adjust mine 10 times since I've had mine...Nice bike MOTO120...
jonjon714
4/24/2014 8:58am
Big Lenny wrote:
If you look real close you can see the aftermarket airbox plate (red) I have on mine, I think they fixed the problem by '04... [URL=http://s438.photobucket.com/user/gangreen08/media/DSC00618.jpg.html][IMG]http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/gangreen08/DSC00618.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
If you look real close you can see the aftermarket airbox plate (red) I have on mine, I think they fixed the problem by '04...

Nice scoot, Lenny.

What's shipping cost to Arkansas you reckon? Tongue
MXisLIFE
4/24/2014 7:15pm
Here's my 04' CR 250R love the bike it's came along way since I got it and still a long ways to go that exhaust looks like hell.. Hopefully this summer I will have more time to put some money into it
JW381
4/24/2014 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 8:21pm
We're all biased towards our own bikes but out of all the bikes I've owned or ridden my 04 is the best overall. I like to ride it as much as I like to look at it. Gonna tune my jetting a little more aggressive and throw a flywheel weight on.
4/24/2014 8:34pm
I went with CamP's advice for engine mods on my 06 CR250. I was really impressed by how much bottom end it added. Overall the power feels much stronger than before. I've done a lot to my bike and CamP's tips made some of the biggest improvement. That Galfer front rotor is worth mentioning too. The wheels just make me smile when I see the bike in the garage, I didn't really notice any performance increase there.
JW381
4/24/2014 10:31pm
I went with CamP's advice for engine mods on my 06 CR250. I was really impressed by how much bottom end it added. Overall the power...
I went with CamP's advice for engine mods on my 06 CR250. I was really impressed by how much bottom end it added. Overall the power feels much stronger than before. I've done a lot to my bike and CamP's tips made some of the biggest improvement. That Galfer front rotor is worth mentioning too. The wheels just make me smile when I see the bike in the garage, I didn't really notice any performance increase there.
This oversized rotor has really good reviews and is within my budget, thinking about pulling the trigger. The stock brakes suck, and I'm sure I need some new pads too. What do you guys think?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Driven-Blade-Oversize-Floating-Front-…
4/25/2014 5:42am
JW381 wrote:
This oversized rotor has really good reviews and is within my budget, thinking about pulling the trigger. The stock brakes suck, and I'm sure I need...
This oversized rotor has really good reviews and is within my budget, thinking about pulling the trigger. The stock brakes suck, and I'm sure I need some new pads too. What do you guys think?

That looks pretty good. Here is the Tusk version. MXA did a test on it and I think they gave it 4 stars, I can't remember. They liked it though.
bents
Fantasy
909th
4/25/2014 6:08am
I went with CamP's advice for engine mods on my 06 CR250. I was really impressed by how much bottom end it added. Overall the power...
What were Cam's engine mods?
Big Lenny
4/25/2014 6:37am
JW381 wrote:
This oversized rotor has really good reviews and is within my budget, thinking about pulling the trigger. The stock brakes suck, and I'm sure I need...

That looks pretty good. Here is the [url=http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1896/35148/Tusk-Oversized-Floating-Typhoon-Brake-Rotor-Kit-Front?v=8656]Tusk[/url] version. MXA did a test on it and I think they gave it 4 stars, I can't remember...
That looks pretty good. Here is the Tusk version. MXA did a test on it and I think they gave it 4 stars, I can't remember. They liked it though.
I run a 280mm EBC rotor on mine, since Honda IMO have been known for having excellent brakes my advice for running it is to adjust it once installed or you will go over the bars...Trust me...Blush
MOTO120
4/25/2014 7:55am
Absurd amount of braking power....combine a CRFStuff 280mm rotor, a Ride Engineering caliper, and a CRFStuff Pro-Lite Front Brake Line :-)......

Socket946
4/25/2014 8:46am
What master cylinders are you guys using?

I found a complete '07 CRF250R front brake setup locally, and told the guy I'd buy it. CRF stuff has said the '07 and newer master cylinder is GOOD.
4/25/2014 1:47pm
bents wrote:
What were Cam's engine mods?
He can tell you better than me but, basically get .03" taken off the base of your cylinder and change the carb. Lots of carb options though and it's hard to go backwards from the stock Mikuni. I went with the cheapest route for carb and got a 2000 and up YZ 250 from eBay and re-jetted it. Eric Gorr at Millennium Tech did my cylinder.
4/25/2014 1:52pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Absurd amount of braking power....combine a CRFStuff 280mm rotor, a Ride Engineering caliper, and a CRFStuff Pro-Lite Front Brake Line :-)...... [URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/user/superx421/media/Bike8_zps69afcb8b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/superx421/Bike8_zps69afcb8b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Absurd amount of braking power....combine a CRFStuff 280mm rotor, a Ride Engineering caliper, and a CRFStuff Pro-Lite Front Brake Line :-)......

You obviously win this thread.
captmoto
4/25/2014 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2014 2:19pm
mx965 wrote:
When/If you rebuild it. This is very important, the piston needs 2 holes drilled in it for lubrication between the bridge of the power valve and...
When/If you rebuild it. This is very important, the piston needs 2 holes drilled in it for lubrication between the bridge of the power valve and piston. I blew my 02 up and could not figure out why. I did my research and talked around and found out that this was likely the problem. My buddy also has an 02 and has had the same problems some aftermarket pistons come with the holes already in them but if you buy OEM it does not and that's what i used. Like said before also make sure your RC valve is in spec as well.
FUD. The OEM piston is good to go. If you use an aftermarket you will need to drill. Always follow the manufacturers recommendation no matter who made your piston. If yours really blew up as a catastrophic failure something else was way wrong.

Post a reply to: Tell me all you can about the 2004 CR250R....

The Latest