Tech 10 durability?

Goondurance
8/14/2017 9:05am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 6:31pm
When I was researching the tech 10s I saw a lot of posts about them falling apart too soon but the threads were old. Have the tech 10s changed materials at all or gotten any better? How long do they last?
|
mtl
8/14/2017 9:24am
Soles made of butter.
Beeby
8/14/2017 9:28am
I have owned two pairs. The first the soles lasted hardly a season, the second lasted about 2.5 seasons. No idea if it was materials change or just random but the second set were much better
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
8/14/2017 9:47am
My Tech 10s have lasted quite a few seasons. I was just commenting about how they are now turning yellow due to being so old and the soles are still good. I used to ride 3-4 times a week on the same boots I have now, now it's about once a month.

I ride on the balls of my feet and the soles are still good.

The old Tech 8 soles used to wear out way faster than the Tech 10s that I've had.

The Shop

Goondurance
8/14/2017 9:55am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 10:03am
Tech 10 seems to be the most popular out there. Do they fit the same as tech 7s?
Do the tech 10s have better ankle support than the sg12?
TJMX947
8/14/2017 10:04am
I've had two pairs of Tech 10s and I honestly don't think they last very long. I had them in 2006, lasted about 1.5 seasons. Soles were worn to crap. I've had the same pair since 2015, got about 20 hours on them (don't get to ride much anymore) and they're showing their wear already. IMHO I hate the bootie. I'd give Gaerne SG12s a try next time or maybe some Tech 7s.
419250f
8/14/2017 10:21am
Tech 10 seems to be the most popular out there. Do they fit the same as tech 7s? Do the tech 10s have better ankle support...
Tech 10 seems to be the most popular out there. Do they fit the same as tech 7s?
I'm wondering about the ankle support between the two as well.
I'd guess since the SG12 has a hinge, there'd be less protection there,
(if you're trying to protect your Achilles)?

I'm looking for a damn near ski boot feel.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
8/14/2017 10:27am
I had 2 pairs of tech 10s and they both held up very well. My last set lasted 2 years before they got soft, the soles are still good. Great boots.
TimR
8/14/2017 10:54am
Its worth noting that some people tend to put alot more wear on their gear than others, me and my riding buddy is a perfect example of that.

We both went to the store together and got ourself a pair of tech 7s each. After about 20 hours his pair was so worn out that he couldnt even give them away for free.

After 2 seasons and atleast 40 hours, mine are as good as new. We are both riding the same speed.

If you ask my buddy about tech 7s, He'd say they're trash. If you ask me, I'd buy another set when my current set are worn out.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
8/14/2017 11:26am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 11:27am
If you're going to fork out that much money for boots, I highly suggest looking at the Gaerne SG-12s and the Sidi Crossfires (1,2, or 3 series). Both Sidi and Gaerne make some awesome boots. The Crossfires can be bought with the the Sole Replacement System (SRS). To change the soles, all you need it a flathead screw driver.
8/14/2017 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 1:00pm
Found this review of Indianapolis colorway on Motosport.com. I have a tough time accepting anecdotal evidence to sway my opinion if I don't try it for myself, but that sucks if what this guy says about the quality is true.

crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
8/14/2017 1:10pm
I bought a pair of Tech10s a few years ago because they are very comfortable.
If you want durability go with Sidi or Gearne.

My tech 10s sole was through very quickly. Also you can'T replace it, you have to buy new boots.
The inner boot concept is nice but the strips on the sides are pretty annoying after a few months because they roll up and are pressed against your feet when the boots are tight (feels like a stone stuck in the boots).
Motofinne
8/14/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 2:45pm
Tech 10 seems to be the most popular out there. Do they fit the same as tech 7s? Do the tech 10s have better ankle support...
419250f wrote:
I'm wondering about the ankle support between the two as well. I'd guess since the SG12 has a hinge, there'd be less protection there, (if you're...
I'm wondering about the ankle support between the two as well.
I'd guess since the SG12 has a hinge, there'd be less protection there,
(if you're trying to protect your Achilles)?

I'm looking for a damn near ski boot feel.
The ankle support that the Tech 10 is hands down the best in the market. Yes they aren't the lightest, they don't give you the most grip and feel of the bike but the protection is the best.

That is why i ride with them.

Sidi Crossfire 3 or Gaerne SG12 would be my second choice.

I have 4 pairs of Tech 10s right now. 2 pairs are pretty much done after around 3-4 seasons of riding with them. 1 pair is 2 years old and still firm and relatively stiff, the soles needs to be replaced. 1 pair is pretty much brand new, only a few hours with them.
Tim271
Fantasy
4336th
8/14/2017 1:24pm
Found this review of Indianapolis colorway on Motosport.com. I have a tough time accepting anecdotal evidence to sway my opinion if I don't try it for...
Found this review of Indianapolis colorway on Motosport.com. I have a tough time accepting anecdotal evidence to sway my opinion if I don't try it for myself, but that sucks if what this guy says about the quality is true.

I had a pair of tech 10's for about 3 months an the sides started peeling off where you grip the bike, alpinestars did replace them but was a stuff around!
Then the same thing happened an the sides wore though with in a year,

I wear sg12's now I went down one size in boot an hands down The best boots Iv had
Lastander
8/14/2017 1:32pm
My tech 10s lasts 3 years, i have a pair of TCX boots that are completely torn to shreds after 70 hours
305FC250
8/14/2017 1:49pm
I recently just bought some new boots and compared the tech 10s, Fox Instincts, and SG12s side by side. I'd put the Alpinestars in 3rd place out of those based on initial comfort and how the quality felt in hands and just walking around with them on. I'd put the SG12s in 1st, but the Instincts offered the best value for the dollar so that's what I got. No regrets I think they're great so far and hopefully last a long time.
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
8/14/2017 2:41pm
Very very very very durable
8/14/2017 2:42pm
Well I've had my tech 7s for 2 years now and they still look good and feel great. I put a ton of hours on em
TXDirt
8/14/2017 2:46pm
Found this review of Indianapolis colorway on Motosport.com. I have a tough time accepting anecdotal evidence to sway my opinion if I don't try it for...

I don't know why but to me that does not look like a three month old boot. As a former racer who practiced nearly 5 days a week and raced every weekend my boots looked better then that after three months of hard use.

Just an observation...
crowe176
8/14/2017 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 3:00pm
I went from Tech 8's, to Vector's to SG10 to SG12's.. I miss the support of the Tech 8's. There was just something about tech 8's that made my ankles feel like super ankles I love Gaerne's, and they've treated me very well, but if tech 10's are anything like the 8's I'm giving them a shot next. I don't ride as much as I used to, so I'm not concerned about wear..
8/14/2017 3:09pm
TXDirt wrote:
I don't know why but to me that does not look like a three month old boot. As a former racer who practiced nearly 5 days...
I don't know why but to me that does not look like a three month old boot. As a former racer who practiced nearly 5 days a week and raced every weekend my boots looked better then that after three months of hard use.

Just an observation...
The boots were released mid march, and apparently this guy made the review in July

chrisgg90
Fantasy
1950th
8/14/2017 3:13pm
Do yourself a favour and forget alpinestar, sidi, gaerne etc and get a set of TCX comp evo. I was an alpinestar guy but I bought a pair of TCX 2.1 pro purely because I needed new boot and didn't have the cash at the time for any of the others. I wouldn't buy cheap crap boots and hunted about finding the 2.1 pro discounted. I purcashed them and they are hands down the best boots I have ever owned. The comp evo mitchelin some are the new version and I just can't fault them in any way.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
59th
8/14/2017 3:14pm
I put about 120 hours on my last set and sold them to a good buddy. They're still in good shape and the soles aren't even that worn. I had a set of the new tech 7s that had a blown out hinge and destroyed soles that I had to throw away after the same amount of time. I just bought a new set of 10s off eBay for $390. At this price there is no reason to buy any other boot.
8/14/2017 3:17pm
chrisgg90 wrote:
Do yourself a favour and forget alpinestar, sidi, gaerne etc and get a set of TCX comp evo. I was an alpinestar guy but I bought...
Do yourself a favour and forget alpinestar, sidi, gaerne etc and get a set of TCX comp evo. I was an alpinestar guy but I bought a pair of TCX 2.1 pro purely because I needed new boot and didn't have the cash at the time for any of the others. I wouldn't buy cheap crap boots and hunted about finding the 2.1 pro discounted. I purcashed them and they are hands down the best boots I have ever owned. The comp evo mitchelin some are the new version and I just can't fault them in any way.
yaaaaa, I'll go ahead and pass
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1950th
8/14/2017 3:31pm
chrisgg90 wrote:
Do yourself a favour and forget alpinestar, sidi, gaerne etc and get a set of TCX comp evo. I was an alpinestar guy but I bought...
yaaaaa, I'll go ahead and pass
Reason being ?
navalseabee
8/14/2017 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 6:09pm
I toasted a set in a year of riding ( i say a year because in FL we ride 12 months, roughly 200 hours of harescrambles and trail riding). The soles needed replaced once in that year, but the bigger issue was how the black rub piece on the inside of the leg tore and the stitching was coming out. Also another feature i didn't like was there three small holes on the toe, they look like they're molded in, well mine leaked and my toes got wet if i even looked at a puddle.... Long story short I got a pair of SG12's, they currently have roughly 50 hours of riding or so and seem to be holding up much much better. There is wear in the soles but its mostly superficial.

The SG12 took significantly more time to break in than the T10 and I actually didn't like them at first because of the lack of feel compared to the T10. They broke in and the feel i like came back so im happy. There's a dude on here who has a hookup some how on the SG12, new sets for FAR FAR FAR cheaper than you can touch a set of t10's. Send me PM and i'll forward over his contact info.
Spooner
8/14/2017 6:15pm
crusty_xx wrote:
I bought a pair of Tech10s a few years ago because they are very comfortable. If you want durability go with Sidi or Gearne. My tech...
I bought a pair of Tech10s a few years ago because they are very comfortable.
If you want durability go with Sidi or Gearne.

My tech 10s sole was through very quickly. Also you can'T replace it, you have to buy new boots.
The inner boot concept is nice but the strips on the sides are pretty annoying after a few months because they roll up and are pressed against your feet when the boots are tight (feels like a stone stuck in the boots).
The soles are replaceable, in the US they do the service in Torrance, California. I’m not sure why you’d say they aren’t.
Goondurance
8/14/2017 6:31pm

Tim271 wrote:
I had a pair of tech 10's for about 3 months an the sides started peeling off where you grip the bike, alpinestars did replace them...
I had a pair of tech 10's for about 3 months an the sides started peeling off where you grip the bike, alpinestars did replace them but was a stuff around!
Then the same thing happened an the sides wore though with in a year,

I wear sg12's now I went down one size in boot an hands down The best boots Iv had
Alpinestars can/will replace that side part?

The tech 10s are cheaper than any other top shelf boot right now so there's that...

Has anyone tried the instinct off-road model? I had a pair of regular instincts and I liked them but the ankle support and durability was suspect.

Post a reply to: Tech 10 durability?

The Latest