Tear off ban in Australia

chad_111
According to this, tear offs will be banned in Australian in all Motorcycling Australia off road racing disciplines.
https://transmoto.com.au/tear-offs-banned-in-2017/
How long before this catches on everywhere and the only option is roll offs, or biodegradable tear offs.
|
segers
Fantasy
2279th
12/11/2016 11:15am
We have it banned in belgium for a couple of years in amateur races,and i think in the netherlands to.
Tonynz
12/11/2016 11:34am
Banned at most tracks in New Zealand.
TMV
12/11/2016 11:36am
Banned in France since 2014 and banned in beach/sand races since 2011 or 2012 here too..

The Shop

motokawi818
12/11/2016 11:49am
Maybe this will force biodegradable options to surface. I'm actually surprised they're still allowed here in California.
hvaughn88
12/11/2016 11:49am
Whats the negative to this?

It seems almost too easy and good?
Seems like a good idea to me
12/11/2016 11:52am
segers wrote:
We have it banned in belgium for a couple of years in amateur races,and i think in the netherlands to.
Yep, I only use them on practice days to keep my lens from scratching.
Skidaddle
12/11/2016 12:00pm
Give a homeless guy a 6 pack of Energy drinks and a shirt to pick them all up. Hell give the guy free hot dogs all day.

For 10 bucks a guy has a full belly, a new shirt and he gets to watch the races.

Its a win every way.
Barrett57
12/11/2016 12:28pm
I heard they wanted to ban them here as well.

It would be good for the sport, one of our local tracks is used for cattle during the week, a cow ate a tear off and the farmer charged the motocross club for the vets bill.
Skidaddle
12/11/2016 12:31pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I heard they wanted to ban them here as well. It would be good for the sport, one of our local tracks is used for cattle...

It would be good for the sport, one of our local tracks is used for cattle during the week, a cow ate a tear off and the farmer charged the motocross club for the vets bill.
Must be a stupid cow. I could put tear off in my pets food and they would eat all around it and lick it clean.

But they wouldnt eat it. SMH
omalley
12/11/2016 12:34pm

Maybe because roll-offs suck donkey butt? It blows looking through a band across the lens. The total contribution of tear offs to the ecosystem's issues doesn't amount to a pinch of sour owl shit compared to the things we allow in industry every day. Maybe start by making it LESS profitable to pollute and pay the fines than to comply.
stantdm
12/11/2016 12:35pm
Cows eat lots of stuff. I am surprised the tearoff caused a problem. They eat fence wire pieces that get broken. They sell magnets to grab the wire.

Anyway with a ban of tearoffs what do you go to? The tape pulls? Nothing?
12/11/2016 12:35pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I heard they wanted to ban them here as well. It would be good for the sport, one of our local tracks is used for cattle...

Did Dr Pol reach up it's ass to pull it out?Dizzy Probably a good idea. Where I live there was a big stink over HS and GP guys grabbing a small drink bottle in the pits with a straw attached, sucking it down then spitting it out. The courses became littered with them. Good way to piss off the land owner.
hvaughn88
12/11/2016 12:38pm

omalley wrote:
Maybe because roll-offs suck donkey butt? It blows looking through a band across the lens. The total contribution of tear offs to the ecosystem's issues doesn't...
Maybe because roll-offs suck donkey butt? It blows looking through a band across the lens. The total contribution of tear offs to the ecosystem's issues doesn't amount to a pinch of sour owl shit compared to the things we allow in industry every day. Maybe start by making it LESS profitable to pollute and pay the fines than to comply.
Outlaw tear offs and I guarantee you roll off technology will get better in a very short amount of time.
Barrett57
12/11/2016 12:47pm
stantdm wrote:
Cows eat lots of stuff. I am surprised the tearoff caused a problem. They eat fence wire pieces that get broken. They sell magnets to grab...
Cows eat lots of stuff. I am surprised the tearoff caused a problem. They eat fence wire pieces that get broken. They sell magnets to grab the wire.

Anyway with a ban of tearoffs what do you go to? The tape pulls? Nothing?
It could have been the farmer scamming the motocross club but who knows, if they don't use them it one less thing that can piss off the landowner.

On a side note, I tipped over at this track, went under the track ropes and landed in the biggest pile of green, fly infested, crusty cow shit you've ever seen in your life, like the whole herd had decided to do a massive crap in the same place. I stank for the rest of the day as I only have one set of kit.
Spooner
12/11/2016 1:10pm
Roll offs are already getting better. I've used the Forecast system on my 100% goggles several times and they are killer compared to normal roll offs. Really wide view and the canisters are set really wide so you barely see them. You can also keep them built up and then just toss them in a pair of goggles when needed rather than needing a full set of goggles just for them. I even got a tinted lens for them and run them when its super dusty. I just think they need to offer some other lens colors to complete the package.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
12/11/2016 1:21pm
we have had a number of tracks ban them here, but no nationwide ban, I can understand the reasoning behind it,
12/11/2016 1:39pm
Believe there are a few tracks over here that have banned them, most tracks are on or close to farmers fields which would have hundreds of plastic tear offs blowing around at the end of the day.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
12/11/2016 1:41pm
Yep animals is the main reason.
Also I hear the biodegradable ones don't break down very fast.
A cow will eat anything sitting in some lush grass.
Makes sense to me.

Probably wouldn't make sense to me if I drove an f250 with a confederate flag and was also packing heat to protect my freedoms Wink haha only joking.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/11/2016 1:45pm
motokiwi wrote:
Yep animals is the main reason. Also I hear the biodegradable ones don't break down very fast. A cow will eat anything sitting in some lush...
Makes sense to me.

Probably wouldn't make sense to me if I drove an f250 with a confederate flag and was also packing heat to protect my freedoms Wink haha only joking.

You leave f250's outta this! Tongue
Barrett57
12/11/2016 1:53pm
People leave shit all over the place even when given bins, no one will pick it up after a days riding, it's fantasy land. Especially considering the amount of geriatrics that make up a motocross meet and look like they would need cpr if asked to walk the track at the end of the day.

12/11/2016 2:02pm
segers wrote:
Yep, I only use them on practice days to keep my lens from scratching.
Wont be able to use them on practice days either
12/11/2016 2:03pm

omalley wrote:
Maybe because roll-offs suck donkey butt? It blows looking through a band across the lens. The total contribution of tear offs to the ecosystem's issues doesn't...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Outlaw tear offs and I guarantee you roll off technology will get better in a very short amount of time.
also more expensive
hvaughn88
12/11/2016 2:04pm
omalley wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
68 wrote:
also more expensive
Possibly
12/11/2016 2:14pm
Are tear offs banned or non biodegradable tear offs banned?

I think biodegradable tear offs would be fine.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
12/11/2016 2:26pm
Are tear offs banned or non biodegradable tear offs banned?

I think biodegradable tear offs would be fine.
biodegradable tearoffs are not the perfect answer

BioTearOffs, under the guidelines of EN 14342 will have 90 percent degradation in under 180 days under ideal circumstances. In testing, this time frame has been very accurate for MX and off-road racing facilities.

180 days is a long time, alot of the tracks here are on working farms,so they need to be gone tomorrow,
kaptkaos
12/11/2016 2:30pm
I agree with the ban, even though we as a race do much worse things. The idea that you can just toss 1000 tear offs on a track over a weekend and not go out and pick them up is just unthinkable to me. So yeah if riders arent willing to pick up after themselves then use a rolloff or look through dirty goggles. And no, the track promotor shouldnt have to pay someone to pick them up. Maybe a rule where if you want to use a tear off system you have to pay a cleanup fee of $5 to cover the cleanup costs.
mxjon454
12/11/2016 3:31pm
Just pay someone to pick them up, just like trash after a big race.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
12/11/2016 4:18pm
motokiwi wrote:
Yep animals is the main reason. Also I hear the biodegradable ones don't break down very fast. A cow will eat anything sitting in some lush...
Makes sense to me.

Keeping it classy.
JohnRoy
12/11/2016 6:56pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
So a main competitor leaves the market, and the only one left in the space is going to step up drastically? Ok.

Post a reply to: Tear off ban in Australia

The Latest