Tear-down time

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2014 10:38pm
Five of the top 250 bikes (top three from each moto) were torn down after the day at High Point. All were found to be legal.

That's Baggett, Martin, Webb, Anderson, and Pourcel.
|
Ing
6/15/2014 10:52am
That's reassuring. Good to hear.
tp4
6/15/2014 12:05pm
lets see.. ama teardown team... expected a pic from the photographer...legal thats funny.!
Xeno
6/15/2014 12:08pm
GuyB wrote:
Five of the top 250 bikes (top three from each moto) were torn down after the day at High Point. All were found to be legal...
Five of the top 250 bikes (top three from each moto) were torn down after the day at High Point. All were found to be legal.

Do you have a short list of what the AMA checks? Bore and stroke for sure, but what else?

The Shop

plowboy
6/15/2014 1:09pm
Random makes it pretty risky to pull the trigger on cheating. I like it. I may be naive but I doubt the big boys even try...just the opposite...they most likely take a lot of care to ensure compliance.
gsxr6
6/15/2014 1:53pm
plowboy wrote:
Random makes it pretty risky to pull the trigger on cheating. I like it. I may be naive but I doubt the big boys even try...just...
Random makes it pretty risky to pull the trigger on cheating. I like it. I may be naive but I doubt the big boys even try...just the opposite...they most likely take a lot of care to ensure compliance.
This. In the past, cheater bikes holeshot and then did a fade to the back to ensure best chance of no teardown. That is what should be watched for
Wandell
6/15/2014 2:07pm
The top teams are pushing the envelope as far as they can. I don't think they would risk running anything illegal. Heck, last year MXA did a test on Ciancurulo's Pro Circuit bike. They said it had something like a two hour life expectancy. Barely enough time to cover two practice sessions and two motos. The mechanic told them they could ride it for like 10 minutes because that was all it had left. People think 250f's are unreliable, can you imagine buying a 250f and finding the motor needed rebuilding after only two hours?! That's a freaking high strung engine.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/15/2014 10:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2014 10:20pm
plowboy wrote:
Random makes it pretty risky to pull the trigger on cheating. I like it. I may be naive but I doubt the big boys even try...just...
gsxr6 wrote:
This. In the past, cheater bikes holeshot and then did a fade to the back to ensure best chance of no teardown. That is what should...
This. In the past, cheater bikes holeshot and then did a fade to the back to ensure best chance of no teardown. That is what should be watched for
Now why would some one fade to the back on purpose so they don't get torn down so what is to be gained by not finishing up front ? what is the point of racing if you are not going to try to win ? So Alessi must have a cheater bike in SX then by your thinking, he gets the holeshot and charges out of the top 10 so he doesn't get torn down ?
zehn
6/15/2014 10:24pm
gsxr6 wrote:
This. In the past, cheater bikes holeshot and then did a fade to the back to ensure best chance of no teardown. That is what should...
So you're saying we should be checking Reed's bike?
6/15/2014 10:26pm
plowboy wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Now why would some one fade to the back on purpose so they don't get torn down so what is to be gained by not finishing...
Now why would some one fade to the back on purpose so they don't get torn down so what is to be gained by not finishing up front ? what is the point of racing if you are not going to try to win ? So Alessi must have a cheater bike in SX then by your thinking, he gets the holeshot and charges out of the top 10 so he doesn't get torn down ?
Haha I was thinking the same. The idea is retarded.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/15/2014 10:31pm
gsxr6 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Now why would some one fade to the back on purpose so they don't get torn down so what is to be gained by not finishing...
lol Exactly, you don't cheat to lose,you cheat to win. Pinch
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/15/2014 10:44pm
I'm guessing the idea is for riders that would normally finish in 20-40th, a cheater motor gets them a better start and they end up 15-20th.
6/15/2014 10:45pm
plowboy wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Im not saying I agree but Reed probably got just as much coverage as Stewy did in the first moto. What place did Short and Grant come in again? IDK but I do remember that Reed was riding a Kawasaki and pulled 2 sick holeshots. Wink
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/15/2014 10:54pm
I'm guessing the idea is for riders that would normally finish in 20-40th, a cheater motor gets them a better start and they end up 15-20th.
Degan won a SX race on a cheater motor. Like I said , you cheat to win not lose. Coverage of a rider fading is not good coverage.
enketchum
6/15/2014 11:54pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Degan won a SX race on a cheater motor. Like I said , you cheat to win not lose. Coverage of a rider fading is not...
Degan won a SX race on a cheater motor. Like I said , you cheat to win not lose. Coverage of a rider fading is not good coverage.
Watson has told stories of Deegan pulling near holeshots at nationals with big bores and then fading back due to to skill....
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/16/2014 4:38am
Wandell wrote:
The top teams are pushing the envelope as far as they can. I don't think they would risk running anything illegal. Heck, last year MXA did...
The top teams are pushing the envelope as far as they can. I don't think they would risk running anything illegal. Heck, last year MXA did a test on Ciancurulo's Pro Circuit bike. They said it had something like a two hour life expectancy. Barely enough time to cover two practice sessions and two motos. The mechanic told them they could ride it for like 10 minutes because that was all it had left. People think 250f's are unreliable, can you imagine buying a 250f and finding the motor needed rebuilding after only two hours?! That's a freaking high strung engine.
I saw a spec card for a factory team's 450 engine, and it was the same. A two-hour run time.
Ebs
6/16/2014 4:57am
Blowing an engine in front of a national audience looks bad when you've trying to sell bikes. I wonder if that's just a 'we will tear it down because we can' kinda thing or if they are actually seeing considerable wear on engine parts.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
6/16/2014 5:06am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2014 5:06am
lostboy819 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Actually,

this is exactly what you do with a cheater motor. You don't cheat to win, because you will get caught. You cheat to do better when you aren't quite on the top level, it's just like PED's.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
6/16/2014 5:20am
I've got motors here that are only supposed to last 2 hours. They use a radical cam (SOHC deal) and stock valves and springs (super cheap with oem dealer discounts). Replace valves and springs after every national. It is much cheaper in the long run and the failure rate is known to be ~2 hours of run time with our combo.

Using any other valve springs/valves and you don't know the failure rate so you end up replacing expensive parts either before they wear out or you leave them in too long and blow an expensive motor.
Gringoe
6/16/2014 5:30am
Wandell wrote:
The top teams are pushing the envelope as far as they can. I don't think they would risk running anything illegal. Heck, last year MXA did...
GuyB wrote:
I saw a spec card for a factory team's 450 engine, and it was the same. A two-hour run time.
I heard from a pretty respected motor builder (that's taken them apart before) the geico bikes have something like a 20 hour run time. Don't know if he was pulling a fast one on me or being serious. Now that I think about it it's been very rare for a geico bike to break.
BobbyM
6/16/2014 7:04am
GuyB wrote:
Five of the top 250 bikes (top three from each moto) were torn down after the day at High Point. All were found to be legal...

Did they drug test the scooters too? Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/16/2014 7:18am
BobbyM wrote:
Did they drug test the scooters too? Smile
Well, I guess you could equate fuel testing to drug testing for bikes. Smile
hillbilly
6/16/2014 7:38am
Do they just look at bore stroke?

Or pull the crank,look at tranny gears,etc?
Uncleof2
6/16/2014 7:49am
GuyB wrote:

So they don't check Honda's, doesn't seem fair.Wink
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/16/2014 8:12am
hillbilly wrote:

I think displacement would be the only thing regulated, and they'd have no reason to look at any of the items you mentioned.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/16/2014 8:14am
Uncleof2 wrote:
It doesn't seem fair that there were no Hondas in the top three of either moto? That was the criteria for inspection.
Uncleof2
6/16/2014 8:16am
Uncleof2 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
It doesn't seem fair that there were no Hondas in the top three of either moto? That was the criteria for inspection.
I know, I was making a funny.Silly
hillbilly
6/16/2014 4:20pm
hillbilly wrote:

GuyB wrote:
I think displacement would be the only thing regulated, and they'd have no reason to look at any of the items you mentioned.
So,only displacement is it on cheating?

I'd think you would have to have a production tranny and crank.

If not then cheating by oversize would not be needed ,ultra light spinning parts would gain plenty but cost large.
ando
6/16/2014 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2014 5:00pm
From AMA Pro Racing rulebook:

3.3 Engines

a. Engines are restricted to single cylinder.
b. Engine displacement shall be recorded in cubic centimeters.
c. Supercharging or turbo charging is not permitted.
d. Cylinder bore may be increased to achieve the displacement limit on motorcycles homologated for competition,
provided that any kits or parts used to increase engine displacement (to the approved class limit) must use
items that have been approved by AMA Pro Racing.
e. Stroke must remain the same as the homologated model.
f. Material and castings of cylinders, cylinder heads, and crankcases must be the same as an originally approved
model of the same manufacturer. Material may be added or removed from these items. Cylinder liners or coating
may be replaced or added provided the original cylinder casting is utilized.
g. For 4-stroke engines the original intake and exhaust valve angle must remain the same as on the homologated
model.
h. Type of cooling system (water, oil or air) must remain as homologated.
i. Fuel injection is permitted only if it is standard equipment on the homologated model.

3.4 Transmissions and Primary Drive

a. Motorcycles are restricted to rear-wheel drive only.
b. Primary drive method must remain the same as the homologated model.
c. Primary drive must be completely enclosed by a cover or guard.
d. The maximum number of speeds in the gearbox is six.
e. Number of transmission gears must be the same as the homologated model.
gsxr6
6/16/2014 5:29pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Regis wrote:
Actually, this is exactly what you do with a cheater motor. You don't cheat to win, because you will get caught. You cheat to do better...
Actually,

this is exactly what you do with a cheater motor. You don't cheat to win, because you will get caught. You cheat to do better when you aren't quite on the top level, it's just like PED's.
From someone who would actually know. I'm just a vitard BUT it isn't hard to understand that a holeshot makes the small builders look like they are on level with the top builders works motor. A fade just makes the rider seem undertrained or unfit. Not hard to understand how this could help sell hop ups. As for reed I wasn't saying anything. I doubt anyone has to cheat with a 450 to start with as they are plenty fast with a few off the shelf parts. Heck the guy who builds a smooth controllable 450 is probably the fast guys favorite. Fire breathing jerk your arms out of the sockets isn't always a winning combo. Would probably make a guy fade that much quicker also.

Post a reply to: Tear-down time

The Latest