Team Championship SX / MX?

goonrider
Edited Date/Time 3/17/2016 7:02am
Formula 1 has a constructors "team" championship that coincides with the drivers championship. F1 has 2 driver per team and their points per event are combined and go towards this championship. SX / MX can score the top 2 riders per class if they have more than 2 bikes in the field per class.

Could SX / MX have such a championship within a championship?
Teams / Team Owners can be rewarded for having solid teams.
Manufacturers can brag about such a title even if a rider bolts for another team.
Factory Bike might not sit idle if a rider gets hurt and the Josh Grants of the world can still ride.

Thoughts?

|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
3/15/2016 5:41pm
There is a manufacturer championship in both Supercross and Motocross. But it really isn't publicized much.
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
3/15/2016 5:42pm
I like the idea,kinda just another variable to make the racing interesting.
hvaughn88
3/15/2016 5:42pm
I think it would be cool. Especially with Schmidt mentioning that a couple other teams possibly might be doing some fill-in rides next year.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/15/2016 9:22pm
Anyone doubt that MX will look the same way...or even MORE Orange?
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
3/15/2016 11:30pm
goonrider wrote:
Formula 1 has a constructors "team" championship that coincides with the drivers championship. F1 has 2 driver per team and their points per event are combined...
Formula 1 has a constructors "team" championship that coincides with the drivers championship. F1 has 2 driver per team and their points per event are combined and go towards this championship. SX / MX can score the top 2 riders per class if they have more than 2 bikes in the field per class.

Manufacturers can brag about such a title even if a rider bolts for another team.
Factory Bike might not sit idle if a rider gets hurt and the Josh Grants of the world can still ride.

Thoughts?

i dont think this is a bad idea. I wouldnt mind seeing the manufacturers title being promoted as well as the teams. This might encourage teams to keep a full field of riders when guys get hurt instead of letting a bike sit.
3/16/2016 12:38am
I like the idea but the current system only counts the best finish. I think it should include a nominated group of riders from each manufacturer and count all those points. That way the manufacturers won't rely on a single rider to rake in the points. For example, look at Suzuki: Roczen has been leading the charge with Stewart and Bagget barely gaining any points in comparison. But if you look at more consistent finishers like Honda or Kawasaki, perhaps they would be closer to the leader. It might also help manufacturers extend support to privateers who are showing promise. Also, it would help if the TV broadcast mentioned it.
Spydee
3/16/2016 1:25am
Who honestly cares though? Just like in F1, the drivers championship is all anyone really has an interest in. Unless you physically work for the team I don't see why anyone would benefit from a constructors championship. Jus' sayin'.
Motofinne
3/16/2016 1:37am
Spydee wrote:
Who honestly cares though? Just like in F1, the drivers championship is all anyone really has an interest in. Unless you physically work for the team...
Who honestly cares though? Just like in F1, the drivers championship is all anyone really has an interest in. Unless you physically work for the team I don't see why anyone would benefit from a constructors championship. Jus' sayin'.
Well the constructors championship is important for the F1 teams, maybe not the fans but the employees of the teams.
Spydee
3/16/2016 1:45am
Motofinne wrote:
Well the constructors championship is important for the F1 teams, maybe not the fans but the employees of the teams.
Yeah, but only because of the funding it brings to the teams.
Motofinne
3/16/2016 2:07am
Motofinne wrote:
Spydee wrote:
Yeah, but only because of the funding it brings to the teams.
Exactly, so why aren't US sx/mx pushing the constructors championship when there is a chance that they could get more sponsors/money in their programs?

Spydee
3/16/2016 2:50am
If Roczen wins the championship, but KTM wins the constructors, which is going to be remembered the most in the future? From a sponsors point of view perhaps funding the individual is more attractive than the branded motorcycle (obviously dependent on the sponsor). I do get what you're saying though, and don't necessarily disagree.

But in F1 I can tell you with 100% confidence who has won the drivers championship since 2000, however I'd probably struggle to name the constructor champions for those years.
rileymx
3/16/2016 7:24am
Constructures is one thing, teams is another...i whould like to see a team championship and i think that it whould be important for publicity of the satelite teams.
Imagine jgr in front of factory Yamaha, or the figth between yosh and rch or even a satélite team of one brand in front of other factory teams...that could only be good publicity ...
2 designated riders per team, add the points of each round and then you whould gave a fair fight between FCR, STAR and PC for(for exemple)
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/16/2016 7:49am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2016 7:49am
rileymx wrote:
Constructures is one thing, teams is another...i whould like to see a team championship and i think that it whould be important for publicity of the...
Constructures is one thing, teams is another...i whould like to see a team championship and i think that it whould be important for publicity of the satelite teams.
Imagine jgr in front of factory Yamaha, or the figth between yosh and rch or even a satélite team of one brand in front of other factory teams...that could only be good publicity ...
2 designated riders per team, add the points of each round and then you whould gave a fair fight between FCR, STAR and PC for(for exemple)
Hello sponsor, we are JGR Yamaha. We finished 8th in the team championship last year. Isnt that great? Give us money.
chaseodc
3/16/2016 10:55am
goonrider wrote:
Formula 1 has a constructors "team" championship that coincides with the drivers championship. F1 has 2 driver per team and their points per event are combined...

Thoughts?

I had given some thought to this a few years back.
Structure could be something like this.
Team Championship Chase
>Team sponsor to be listed as team name must contribute xx % of team total budget. [for example if you want Team Jimmy John's that would require them to step up to a top tier supporter]
>Teams will be required to field a minimum of 2 participants. The finishing points of both will be used towards the team championship points total. If the team chooses to enter 3 the top 2 will count. If the team enters 1 only those points will be awarded. This will promote backup riders and 3 member teams.
>This structure will also give a alternative storyline for commentators to comment on. So Roczen is leading and Wiemer is in 10th now the camera has a reason to look further back in the pack. The team total points can be discussed as well as more sponsor mentions. I believe that moving some focus to the rest of the pack will pay big dividends in the form of personal and team sponsors.
Thus raising the worth of a non top 10 guy come contract time.
>Team points can be awarded for qualifying position towards the event total. This should be structured in a mannor that even people that don't make the main can be mentioned in reference to contributing to the team event total.

The series structure that is currently being used is ultimately not attractive to sponsors. There names are wedged awkwardly into interviews or quickly flashed across the TV screen. If they are shown or mentioned at all its not something to be proud of at investor meetings I can promise you that.
There are many other things to touch on with this concept, Monster Energy Rider Championship, funding for Team Cup Championship, restructuring of TV package, and most of all working through the change of moving forward to grow. This is far beyond a joker lane or timed qualifying. This is a cultural change and ultimately makes what success is in this sport slightly different for the teams involved. It's a big deal but I believe could bring big rewards.

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
3/16/2016 12:15pm
whoa there sonny, lets not make this complicated. keep it simple

for manufacturer title you just count points based on what people are entered on.

for team title, teams collect points based on where their riders finish.

if you look at just toronto 250 class here's the breakdown

MANUFACTURERS
KTM=46PTS
YAMAHA=51
SUZUKI=24
KAWAI=57
HONDA=45
HUSQ=0

TEAMS
GEICO=17PTS
PC=21
TROYLEE=46 (43) If you only count top two since most teams have only two guys
STAR=31

rileymx
3/17/2016 7:02am
I think it could also be very good for 2nd tier level riders, the 2nd riders results whould be very important for the team as well...and that whould open a all new competition between them, not just to get a good ride, but also how good can you always perform on that ride....and it whould also make the need for replacement of injured riders a lot bigger...

Post a reply to: Team Championship SX / MX?

The Latest