Top Motocross Stars Compete in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Glen Helen

Arkmx
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 4:50pm
July 18, 2011
Auto racing of any sort isn't the cheapest sport you can take part in, but in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series it can be as inexpensive as possible for a sport so involved in the SuperLite class. The SuperLite class is a short-course truck class that allows teams or individuals to essentially rent the equipment for the weekend, and since it's a spec class, it puts the results into the drivers' hands.

For the upcoming August 6th and 7th rounds of the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series event at Glen Helen, motocross stars Nick Wey and Ricky Dietrich will be taking part in the SuperLite class with support from their motocross team and sponsors, which wouldn't be possible without the ability to step right into competitive spec equipment.

"Twitch won the SuperLites last year, so how hard can it be?!" joked Nick Wey after his first-ever day in a SuperLite truck. "I'm just kidding. I've driven one day, and I made a lot of improvements, but there are some pretty good dudes in the class..."

"It definitely has the jumping, but the truck and all that isn't what I'm used to, so that's different," Wey says of how it compares to MX. "As far as it being really athletic where you're going to break a sweat or lose your breath, it's not like that, and you don't need balance or anything, but outside of that it takes a lot of skill. I think motocross and supercross are on a whole other level. But it's going to be a challenge."

Wey will race only on Saturday at Glen Helen, as prior commitments with an appearance for sponsor Tucker Rocky will take him to Texas on Sunday.

"I've seen it a lot on TV," Wey said. "It's one thing to go fast, but some guys make crazy bonehead moves when it comes to racing, and I'd really rather not roll this thing over, so if someone takes me out, I'm going to be really bummed..."

His Valli Motorsports Yamaha teammate Ricky Dietrich will compete both days at Glen Helen.

"My team owner, Chad Lanza, went to one of the rounds, and he found out about this class where we could just basically rent trucks, and it's a good way to get the word out about our team a bit, and promote our sponsors," Dietrich said, "and at the same time Nick and I get to go out there and have a damned good time racing trucks! It's going to be so much fun. It's pretty much everything I ever wanted to do in my own truck, but I get to do it in a truck that can handle it. It should be really fun."

Dietrich has high hopes.

"We spent all day yesterday doing a practice day to kind of feel it out," Dietrich said. "A practice day is required so you don't go out there all out of control. But after just a few laps, I just turned it loose, and it was so much fun. I've never done anything like that before. It's unreal. I'm a competitive person, so obviously I want to win, but I don't have much experience obviously. We'll see how it goes. I'll use my moto skills and hopefully it goes well."

With two more professional racers in the mix for the Glen Helen rounds, things should be very interesting in the SuperLite class.

About the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series:
The Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series is the evolution of the long standing support of short course racing by Forrest Lucas and Lucas Oil Products. Steeped in the Midwest tradition of short course off road racing infused with a West Coast influence, Lucas Oil Off Road Racing brings intense four wheel door to door action to challenging, fan friendly tracks. Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series: This is Short Course. For more information please visit www.LucasOilOffRoad.com
|
ocscottie
7/20/2011 6:53am
I got the PR for that yesterday, pretty cool stuff! lots of MX'ers and X-MX'ers doing it on 4 wheels now. Those races are fun as hell to watch, lots of action.
Dirty
8/2/2011 12:02pm
ocscottie wrote:
I got the PR for that yesterday, pretty cool stuff! lots of MX'ers and X-MX'ers doing it on 4 wheels now. Those races are fun as...
I got the PR for that yesterday, pretty cool stuff! lots of MX'ers and X-MX'ers doing it on 4 wheels now. Those races are fun as hell to watch, lots of action.
Hey Guy's- Come check out Nick Wey and Ricky Dietrich battle it out in some trucks. Here is a $5.00 Off Online Coupon Code to the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. Please pass this on to friends and family. Thanks

[center][/center]
Arkmx
8/2/2011 12:38pm
Thanks Dirty!

I am sure someone will take advantage of the offer.!
Dirty
8/2/2011 1:10pm
Ya!! This should be a great race! A ton of MX athletes / Industry will be hanging out since its a weekend off.

The Shop

mccread
8/2/2011 1:59pm
yet they couldn't race the US GP hmmm...
mxb2
8/2/2011 2:01pm
mccread wrote:
yet they couldn't race the US GP hmmm...
Good point!
Dirty
8/2/2011 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2011 10:08pm
Could of been some politics behind that deal??? Who Know's?? I was at the USGP and bummed that I didn't see more Americans? But since were talking USGP I got to be apart of presenting Zack Osbourne the Moates Cup & $5000 Lucas Oil Check!! Sometime I can't believe I get paid for this job!

downandup
8/3/2011 8:56am
You've gotta have some coin to do this.

Heard that if you don't have a truck, you can show up and pay $7,500 for the day and you get a truck and a mechanic. I'd rather buy a couple of used bikes.

Post a reply to: Top Motocross Stars Compete in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Glen Helen

The Latest