kongols
3/9/2013 11:34am
He`s back to air this weekend...
R-acer
3/9/2013 11:35am
LOL
kongols
3/9/2013 11:47am
Hey dude, I hope you didn`t get a heartattack. I was just messing with you.
MotoTones
3/9/2013 11:50am
I wonder if he had those forks on the whole series if we would be looking at a different championship points race....Sad

The Shop

burnside
3/9/2013 11:51am
haha. Fuck yeah Reed. Lessons to be learned for all of us (in all our jobs) from Chad's grit over the years.. (and Milsaps this year). Hopefully he pulls it off in the main.
40Plus_922mx
3/9/2013 12:01pm
He went back to last years susp last weekend.
Highsider
3/9/2013 12:21pm
He went back to last years susp last weekend.
I thought I heard at ATL but perfected at STL.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
671st
3/9/2013 2:14pm
F%#*!ing airforks suck! Ha ha, way too go reed. Smile
velocitygear
3/9/2013 2:37pm
Why would any Manufacturer risk a championship to run an unproven system? Makes no sense to me... Was Honda forcing him to use the air forks and if not, why didn't he switch back earlier...???
Katoomey
3/9/2013 2:48pm
Why would any Manufacturer risk a championship to run an unproven system? Makes no sense to me... Was Honda forcing him to use the air forks...
Why would any Manufacturer risk a championship to run an unproven system? Makes no sense to me... Was Honda forcing him to use the air forks and if not, why didn't he switch back earlier...???
he said that he thought there was potential in them and was interested himself in testing them and developing them. I think he just had to draw the line somewhere.

in the end, i think it has less to do with his results overall. Guys have ridden much worse equipment and still found their way to the podium. Chad seemed to be in a slump to me, and sure, not having your bike dialed can contribute to that, but sometimes you just aren't on your game.

the good news for his fans is that he looks like his old self again.
GHR
3/9/2013 2:51pm
burnside wrote:
haha. Fuck yeah Reed. Lessons to be learned for all of us (in all our jobs) from Chad's grit over the years.. (and Milsaps this year)...
haha. Fuck yeah Reed. Lessons to be learned for all of us (in all our jobs) from Chad's grit over the years.. (and Milsaps this year). Hopefully he pulls it off in the main.
yup, so true
activeMX
3/9/2013 3:07pm
Interesting there is only 3 guys running in the 1:18's so far. Seems like the last few rounds there were more than a handful on the same second only separated by a few tenth's.

I'm hoping Reed shows us he's still got it tonight.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2761st
3/9/2013 3:49pm
I could see him making the switch back to air forks for the outdoors, where the forks don't need to be so firm
velocitygear
3/9/2013 4:00pm
Why would any Manufacturer risk a championship to run an unproven system? Makes no sense to me... Was Honda forcing him to use the air forks...
Katoomey wrote:
he said that he thought there was potential in them and was interested himself in testing them and developing them. I think he just had to...
he said that he thought there was potential in them and was interested himself in testing them and developing them. I think he just had to draw the line somewhere.

in the end, i think it has less to do with his results overall. Guys have ridden much worse equipment and still found their way to the podium. Chad seemed to be in a slump to me, and sure, not having your bike dialed can contribute to that, but sometimes you just aren't on your game.

Not saying that I have anywhere near the talent but for me, a bad set-up can ruin my ability to ride a bike. I didn't see the "slump" , more of a lack of comfort...

Then there's the photo of Chad's team inside the semi; they looked like they had tried everything and results were not following. Right then and there, I would have made the change. Reed's not racing this year for 5-10th on purpose and the fork change seems to be the culprit in regard to his finishes, by his own admission I might add...

If he wins tonight, it will only make the whole fork thing that much more questionable... imo..
3/9/2013 4:03pm
MotoTones wrote:
I wonder if he had those forks on the whole series if we would be looking at a different championship points race....Sad
Yeah, if he hadn't had air forks maybe he wouldn't have crashed the field twice in a row.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
671st
3/9/2013 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2013 4:04pm
Katoomey wrote:
he said that he thought there was potential in them and was interested himself in testing them and developing them. I think he just had to...

I think it is as simple as Reed is one of those guys where everything has to click right, he isn't one of those ride by the seat of his pants guys. Nothing wrong with that....its just the way he is.
josh8811
3/9/2013 4:04pm
The dumbest shit I've seen all year is trying that damn air shock on RD5's bike.. Talk about risking a championship..
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2836th
3/9/2013 4:06pm
Be interesting to see if Barcia, Canard and Tomac could drop their times a little if they went to springs.
josh8811
3/9/2013 4:09pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Be interesting to see if Barcia, Canard and Tomac could drop their times a little if they went to springs.
That would be interesting.. TO bad they don't have that option being on a factory team.. If it happened though, and there was a notable difference in lap times, that would be the death of the air fork..
Hut
3/9/2013 4:12pm
josh8811 wrote:
The dumbest shit I've seen all year is trying that damn air shock on RD5's bike.. Talk about risking a championship..
Not dumb really, Decoster said they had no problems thus far and Dungey likes the air shock. But that was his only win so far so it is odd.
If Reed wins tonight I'm moving my clocks forward! Stamp it
3/9/2013 4:14pm
josh8811 wrote:
That's the thing.. if you blow a shock seal on a sprung shock you may not ride fast but you can at least ride. We saw what happened to Dung with a blown seal on the air shock. Automatic DNF.

Not saying it's sucky technology, but why they ever decided to beta test it during the season is beyond me. That should be done over in Japan or offseason. Not prime time.
Katoomey
3/9/2013 4:14pm
MotoTones wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Yeah, if he hadn't had air forks maybe he wouldn't have crashed the field twice in a row.
he isn't under contract to run the forks. He could have switched to springs at any time.

Equipment isn't an excuse for not winning, especially when it's the same equipment others have won with. if chad's bike isn't working, I still blame him. its his team for god's sake.
Hut
3/9/2013 4:17pm
josh8811 wrote:
That's the thing.. if you blow a shock seal on a sprung shock you may not ride fast but you can at least ride. We saw...
That's the thing.. if you blow a shock seal on a sprung shock you may not ride fast but you can at least ride. We saw what happened to Dung with a blown seal on the air shock. Automatic DNF.

Not saying it's sucky technology, but why they ever decided to beta test it during the season is beyond me. That should be done over in Japan or offseason. Not prime time.
Was Suzuki dumb for switching to EFI? Dungey had a near failure in the outdoors due to that new technology as well.
Katoomey
3/9/2013 4:19pm
josh8811 wrote:
That's the thing.. if you blow a shock seal on a sprung shock you may not ride fast but you can at least ride. We saw...

your right. I'm sure no one had ever laid eyes on that air shock, let alone rode one, before A1.

...and why would an Austrian manufacture test in Japan?

That shock has probably been in development for years.
NeKawBoy
3/9/2013 4:30pm
There's the right way, the wrong way and the Honda way. Remember-this is the same company that thought the DN-01 was the future of motorcycling in America.
mx317
3/10/2013 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2013 6:32pm
Damn, people on here are smarter than DeCoster and all the suspension engineers from WP, Showa, and KYB combined. Tards
ford832
3/10/2013 6:48pm
Maybe they are.Dungey and Reed seem to concur.Wink
mynewcr250
3/10/2013 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2013 7:05pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
josh8811 wrote:
That would be interesting.. TO bad they don't have that option being on a factory team.. If it happened though, and there was a notable difference...
That would be interesting.. TO bad they don't have that option being on a factory team.. If it happened though, and there was a notable difference in lap times, that would be the death of the air fork..
tomac was on pulpmx...said he pretty much hates the air forks, hes back on springs...

2:15
http://www.pulpmx.com/content/pro-circuit-daytona-sx-pulpcasts

Post a reply to: Thank God For Fork Springs !!

The Latest