Sure looks good in the dirt...

Arkmx
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:20pm
2012 KTM 250.

From... Total Motorcycle.com

2012 KTM 250SX Review

Pure two-stroke power

More means more — the pure two-stroke power of the quarter-liter engine turns the 250 SX into a precision tool with an unbeatable power-to-weight ratio. With the new linkage rear suspension and completely new frame, it now raises the bar even higher for 250cc machines. Never has it been easier to ride onto the podium with a two-stroke against bigger-bore four-strokes.

2012 KTM 250SX Features and Benefits

New for 2012:

» new frame
» new swing arm
» new rear shock
» new front fork (bushings, seals and setting)
» new intake boot (better performance)
» new reed block (smoother power delivery)

New intake snorkel

The flow-optimized intake flange between airbox and carburetor on the 250 SX now ensures even better charging with fresh gas. This results in even freer revving and even more power in all RPM ranges for the liquid-cooled, two-stroke machine.
Adjustable exhaust control and adjustable ignition curve
The choice between two ignition curves, activated by means of a socket connector, and the adjustable TVC exhaust controller make it simple for the 250 SX rider to tune the performance characteristics of the two-stroke engine to his or her individual requirements.

Engine power and weight
The technology of a two-stroke engine has indisputable advantages, including the high power/displacement and low weight. In terms of power-to-weight ratio, the 250 SX is practically unbeatable. Unrivalled performance and playful handling are just two of its many strengths.

New frame
The completely revamped frame on the 250 SX is made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel and is extremely light and torsion-resistant. It is also characterized by a particularly balanced geometry that combines playful handling with razor-sharp precision.

New linkage rear suspension
The two-strokes in the MX range from KTM are now also equipped with the elaborate linkage rear suspension system. Linking the shock absorber via a lever system provides high progressiveness and wide adjustment ranges. The 250 SX therefore has a season ticket for the podium, even on the most brutal motocross tracks.

New swingarm
Apart from the new linkage rear suspension, there is the new cast aluminum swingarm, which is designed for minimum weight while supplying optimum lateral stiffness and defined longitudinal flexibility. This makes a major contribution to the excellent tracking stability of the 250 SX and its precise handling and extreme traction.

New telescopic fork setting
The further improved upside-down telescopic fork incorporating closed-cartridge technology now ensures even greater punch with a somewhat tauter setting. At the same time, the WP fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tube diameter bolsters the playful handling of the 250 SX.

Bodywork
The bodywork of the 250 SX with the very slim seat and radiator shrouds, plus excellent contact points, perfect the bike's ergonomics, making handling even simpler and more precise.

2012 KTM 250SX - International Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: See KTM dealer in your country for pricing.
Engine
Engine type Single cylinder, 2-stroke
Displacement 249 cc
Bore/stroke 66.4/72 mm
Compression ratio -
Starter/battery Kickstarter
Transmission 5 gears
Carburetor Keihin PWK 36S AG
Control Exhaust control TVC
Lubrication Mixture oil lubrication 1:40
Gear ratios 14:28 15:24 18:24 21:24 22:21 -
Primary ratio 26:72
Final drive 13:48
Cooling Liquid cooling
Clutch Wet multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
Ignition Kokusan

Chassis
Frame Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4
Subframe Aluminium
Handlebar Renthal, Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm
Front suspension WP-USD, Closed Cartridge, Ø 48 mm
Rear suspension WP-Monoshock with linkage
Suspension travel front/rear 300/330 mm
Front/rear brakes Disc brake 260/220 mm
Front/rear rims 1.60 x 21"; 2.15 x 19" Excel
Front/rear tires 80/100-21"; 110/90-19"
Chain 5/8 x 1/4"
Silencer Aluminium
Steering head angle 63.5°
Wheel base 1,495 ± 10 mm
Ground clearance 385 mm
Seat height 992 mm
Tank capacity, approx. 7.5 l
Weight, without fuel, approx. 96.3 kg

My boy Zach is droooooling over one of these, the KTM 125 for the Schoolboy 1 Class.

|
peelout
9/1/2011 12:02pm
i'm actually going to sell my 450 soon and pick one of these up.

my friend is trying to get me to buy a YZ but the way i look at it, with a KTM i'm getting a legit 2012, with a YZ i'm getting like a 2006 with new graphics
TX24
9/1/2011 12:06pm
I think one of those 150s would be a blast.

Post a reply to: Sure looks good in the dirt...

The Latest