Supercross Attendance

jmx411
Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 5:28pm
I have seen some state attendance was good for Ney York round. The whole upper deck was completely empty!! Is it to much to ask to at least have 70% upper deck full?

My home race is Atlanta and on its worst years upper deck is close to full. I don't think motocross is that much bigger in this area than everywhere else. I just wonder what Feld is doing wrong in the marketing side of things to not fill these places up. This year has been worst attendance I can remember.

Over my 20 years I have taken around 20 different people to races to show off how great this sport is. Everyone before the race didn't give this sport a chance. They either hate sports or think of motocross as more of a hick sport than NASCAR. They all leave the race thinking supercross is the best sport to see live and all of them have become fans for life.

My point is what are we doing as a sport to not show off what we have? I think the excuse that we are a niche sport is bogus. I'm not saying everyone will go out and buy bikes. I'm just asking why don't we have the following that this sport in my opinion should have? I thought live tv would help but idk if it hasn't hurt.

Any thoughts on this I would appreciate it. I'm a marketing major so things like this interest me. We all are hardcore fans to be on this message board but we all know people who don't know anything about dirt bikes and all wonder what's wrong with these people.
|
hillbilly
5/2/2016 4:38pm
Nascar/fox is having serious problems. Bristol had the lowest tv rating ever then the next week Richmond had the lowest tv rating or share of a race ever or something, the story is at jayski.com if you want to read.

People have no money,it just aint that hard to figure. 92 million unemployed,more ever day.

Why go spend a bill when you can see it on tv or streamed.

Aw hell,wtf do i know,
jmx411
5/2/2016 4:46pm
Hillbilly you make good points. Maybe it's just the wrong timing right now in today's economy. I think of NASCAR when it was at its tops and think why motocross can't be that way?

What's sad about NASCAR right now is the racing has been great.
hillbilly
5/2/2016 4:48pm
And ,one more thing,this probably dont matter to a jersey wearing poser but,

The program is so short now without semis for 250 and just seems in a rush to get it in the tv slot or something.

Man,I miss the day of the day heats.
jmx411
5/2/2016 4:48pm
Hillbilly I thought all the unemployed people have more money than the working class? At least that's what I read on Facebook. Wink

The Shop

jmx411
5/2/2016 4:49pm
Day heats were the best racing.
hillbilly
5/2/2016 4:55pm
jmx411 wrote:
Hillbilly you make good points. Maybe it's just the wrong timing right now in today's economy. I think of NASCAR when it was at its tops...
Hillbilly you make good points. Maybe it's just the wrong timing right now in today's economy. I think of NASCAR when it was at its tops and think why motocross can't be that way?

What's sad about NASCAR right now is the racing has been great.
They ran it in the ground with 100 buck tickets ,add the 300 to 400 a nite hotel here for bristol and 40 to 50 to park if you park off track property.

Now they are running stories on local tv about the 300 dollar rooms for the football game they are having at bristol.

I've been there when it was full and I want no where near it.

And,if you live in Bristol or nearby your weekend is fubar because of traffic. You cant just run to lowes or the bank.

That is what it would be in sx if it sold out ever race and scalping started running up prices.
5/2/2016 4:57pm
Bristol suffered (badly) but Talladega looked close to a sellout this past weekend. I think Bristol might have caused some of their own problems with the resurfacing that causes boring racing. People went to see fistfights and they don't happen now.

But, Hillbilly, the broader issue stands: eyeballs and butts in the seat are down in NASCAR, NHRA, IndyCar, etc.

Ticket prices at Supercross are just too high: It used to be $20 or less and now you need to drop ~$100/ticket. If you have a family of 4, there's a big difference between $100 and $500. Parking for $20-30 is also insulting, and you're going to buy food and maybe a few beers. So $600 isn't off the table without anything tangible. It's just too pricey.

Also, to OP, Atlanta did not do stunningly well last year either. I seem to remember everyone being shocked at how few came out for the double race year.
line-up
5/2/2016 4:59pm
jmx411 wrote:
I have seen some state attendance was good for Ney York round. The whole upper deck was completely empty!! Is it to much to ask to...
I have seen some state attendance was good for Ney York round. The whole upper deck was completely empty!! Is it to much to ask to at least have 70% upper deck full?

My home race is Atlanta and on its worst years upper deck is close to full. I don't think motocross is that much bigger in this area than everywhere else. I just wonder what Feld is doing wrong in the marketing side of things to not fill these places up. This year has been worst attendance I can remember.

Over my 20 years I have taken around 20 different people to races to show off how great this sport is. Everyone before the race didn't give this sport a chance. They either hate sports or think of motocross as more of a hick sport than NASCAR. They all leave the race thinking supercross is the best sport to see live and all of them have become fans for life.

My point is what are we doing as a sport to not show off what we have? I think the excuse that we are a niche sport is bogus. I'm not saying everyone will go out and buy bikes. I'm just asking why don't we have the following that this sport in my opinion should have? I thought live tv would help but idk if it hasn't hurt.

Any thoughts on this I would appreciate it. I'm a marketing major so things like this interest me. We all are hardcore fans to be on this message board but we all know people who don't know anything about dirt bikes and all wonder what's wrong with these people.
The replacement of the two guys at the top of Feld Motorsport (a Division of Feld Entertainment) a few weeks ago did not happen by accident, I would guess.
hillbilly
5/2/2016 5:01pm
jmx411 wrote:
Hillbilly I thought all the unemployed people have more money than the working class? At least that's what I read on Facebook. Wink
I was at walmart today and lots of fat people pushing carts full of pepsi and icecream paying with that 1st of the month check.

I walk around mooing. Good times.
hillbilly
5/2/2016 5:06pm
Bristol suffered (badly) but Talladega looked close to a sellout this past weekend. I think Bristol might have caused some of their own problems with the...
Bristol suffered (badly) but Talladega looked close to a sellout this past weekend. I think Bristol might have caused some of their own problems with the resurfacing that causes boring racing. People went to see fistfights and they don't happen now.

But, Hillbilly, the broader issue stands: eyeballs and butts in the seat are down in NASCAR, NHRA, IndyCar, etc.

Ticket prices at Supercross are just too high: It used to be $20 or less and now you need to drop ~$100/ticket. If you have a family of 4, there's a big difference between $100 and $500. Parking for $20-30 is also insulting, and you're going to buy food and maybe a few beers. So $600 isn't off the table without anything tangible. It's just too pricey.

Also, to OP, Atlanta did not do stunningly well last year either. I seem to remember everyone being shocked at how few came out for the double race year.
Dega is the anomaly,and with the crashes yesterday it will sell out by the end of the month for the chase race.

Dezerted
5/2/2016 5:14pm
jmx411 wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
I was at walmart today and lots of fat people pushing carts full of pepsi and icecream paying with that 1st of the month check. I...
I was at walmart today and lots of fat people pushing carts full of pepsi and icecream paying with that 1st of the month check.

They all have thyroid problems
akillerwombat
5/2/2016 5:17pm
Bristol suffered (badly) but Talladega looked close to a sellout this past weekend. I think Bristol might have caused some of their own problems with the...

Agreed, I hadn't been to a race in years but we opted to hit up PETCO this year and the prices we're pretty nutty. Pricey to park near by, pricey to get in, pricey to drink, pricey to eat.

I can't even imagine what that tab would run with some kids in toe.
jmx411
5/2/2016 5:28pm
line-up wrote:
The replacement of the two guys at the top of Feld Motorsport (a Division of Feld Entertainment) a few weeks ago did not happen by accident...
The replacement of the two guys at the top of Feld Motorsport (a Division of Feld Entertainment) a few weeks ago did not happen by accident, I would guess.
Something is going on with Feld. Idk what the thinking was this year with tickets. I understand having to raise prices a little but to do what they did this year with doubling and tripling prices was outrageous. And the new prices going up or down depending on demand doesn't seem ethical on Felds part
akillerwombat
5/2/2016 5:44pm
jmx411 wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
I was at walmart today and lots of fat people pushing carts full of pepsi and icecream paying with that 1st of the month check. I...

Dezerted wrote:
They all have thyroid problems
Mr. Info
5/2/2016 6:04pm
To many races in the season and points battles are not close. People lose interest when the cost to watch a race without being important. To many in the same geographic areas also hurts attendance. Vegas because it's the last round but only because it's Vegas and the Stadium is smaller than any other on the tour. Sad though you could watch Endurocross on Friday but I heard Feld stopped that. But Vegas is getting old as well. I guess fewer races with bigger turnouts because of not as many is not that important. Sad
slowgti
5/2/2016 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 6:07pm
Remember when they used to almost sell out of $10 tread head seats? Now $10 won't even get you parked in the same area code. I've been going to the Atlanta race for almost 20 years. In the past few years, if I can't score some tickets from a dealership connection, I'm buying a 6 pack and staying home.
bob567
5/2/2016 6:20pm
I used to attend 3-4 Nationals a year and suffer through the miserable spectating conditions like zero shade, horrible restroom facilities, inaudible announcing and no seating. Then they put it live on TV. Will never attend one again. I agree its cool as fuck to watch in person but it's almost like the series promoter wants people to be miserable while watching. Whats up with that? Might be time they start caring about the fan experience at these events more than the industry experience or they will be there alone pretty soon.
wlauderdale219
Fantasy
2159th
5/2/2016 6:27pm
Idk if you been to atlanta the last 3 years but its been empty also. Last year and this year its was absolutely horrible.
jmx411
5/2/2016 7:29pm
Yea Atlanta was down last year with 2 races. Attendance this year was down because tickets went up triple in some locations compared to prices last year. You could sit club for $60, this year was $125. Upper deck use to be $10-20 this year double that.

I guess the real answer to my question is Feld is pricing themselves out. Can't charge NFL prices for races when people aren't invested in it.
hillbilly
5/2/2016 7:31pm
I like it empty,sit where we want,no drunk fuck beside me.

I go bat shit crazy when someone starts ruining my good time. Its best I'm off by myself.
JM485
5/2/2016 7:33pm
Mr. Info wrote:
To many races in the season and points battles are not close. People lose interest when the cost to watch a race without being important. To...
To many races in the season and points battles are not close. People lose interest when the cost to watch a race without being important. To many in the same geographic areas also hurts attendance. Vegas because it's the last round but only because it's Vegas and the Stadium is smaller than any other on the tour. Sad though you could watch Endurocross on Friday but I heard Feld stopped that. But Vegas is getting old as well. I guess fewer races with bigger turnouts because of not as many is not that important. Sad
Can anyone else confirm that Feld was responsible for Endurocross losing the Vegas race? If so that's pretty telling. . .
jmx411
5/2/2016 7:36pm
Mr. Info wrote:
To many races in the season and points battles are not close. People lose interest when the cost to watch a race without being important. To...
JM485 wrote:
Can anyone else confirm that Feld was responsible for Endurocross losing the Vegas race? If so that's pretty telling. . .
Yea when they started the arenacross finally last year on the Friday before that ended the endurocross.
vetmxr
5/2/2016 8:12pm
hillbilly wrote:
I like it empty,sit where we want,no drunk fuck beside me. I go bat shit crazy when someone starts ruining my good time. Its best I'm...
I like it empty,sit where we want,no drunk fuck beside me.

I go bat shit crazy when someone starts ruining my good time. Its best I'm off by myself.
Boy I hear you there.....I may be old but there seems to me to be little value in it for me to go to a supercross race and be pissed off all day. I don't mind spending good money if I can get a value in what I'm spending.
MotoX85
5/2/2016 8:41pm
hillbilly wrote:
And ,one more thing,this probably dont matter to a jersey wearing poser but, The program is so short now without semis for 250 and just seems...
And ,one more thing,this probably dont matter to a jersey wearing poser but,

The program is so short now without semis for 250 and just seems in a rush to get it in the tv slot or something.

Man,I miss the day of the day heats.
There's never been semis for the 250s/lites/125 class.

People are just getting sick of posercross. St Louis this year was the smallest crowd I have ever seen. Why? It was held in April on a 70 degree day in a dome. I only went cause I did not want to waste $300 in tickets I already bought. Every racer I knew was at the track.

Keep it in the winter or posercross is dead.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/2/2016 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 9:44pm
If you watched qualifying and eliminations from the Spring Nationals in Houston, the stands were packed on Saturday, and a good 30% emptier on Sunday. You know ticket prices had something to do with that, and more Fuel car passes as well.
hillbilly
5/3/2016 2:16am
avidchimp wrote:
If you watched qualifying and eliminations from the Spring Nationals in Houston, the stands were packed on Saturday, and a good 30% emptier on Sunday. You...
If you watched qualifying and eliminations from the Spring Nationals in Houston, the stands were packed on Saturday, and a good 30% emptier on Sunday. You know ticket prices had something to do with that, and more Fuel car passes as well.
Same way at Charlotte,said it was sold out Saturday. I guess folks want to see the factory stock cars now before pro qualifications start in the afternoon.

Can someone explain why we want the stands full,more fans? You think the riders would get paid more? I doubt it.
logan_140
5/3/2016 3:32am
hillbilly wrote:
Nascar/fox is having serious problems. Bristol had the lowest tv rating ever then the next week Richmond had the lowest tv rating or share of a...
Nascar/fox is having serious problems. Bristol had the lowest tv rating ever then the next week Richmond had the lowest tv rating or share of a race ever or something, the story is at jayski.com if you want to read.

People have no money,it just aint that hard to figure. 92 million unemployed,more ever day.

Why go spend a bill when you can see it on tv or streamed.

Aw hell,wtf do i know,
Bristol is like that for one because the ticket price, but 2 because they ruined the track when they re did it and the people want it back to how it was
419250f
5/3/2016 3:51am
Way to expensive.
I rode at my house, cleaned the bike, took a shower then went and enjoyed my $230 /month Time Warner bill...
oceantrav
5/3/2016 4:32am
slowgti wrote:
Remember when they used to almost sell out of $10 tread head seats? Now $10 won't even get you parked in the same area code. I've...
Remember when they used to almost sell out of $10 tread head seats? Now $10 won't even get you parked in the same area code. I've been going to the Atlanta race for almost 20 years. In the past few years, if I can't score some tickets from a dealership connection, I'm buying a 6 pack and staying home.
I've been to Atlanta the past 3 years. I think my tickets were like $24 a piece this year for top level. Then my group of about 7 just walked down to the lower first level and scored some seats easily. Got a hotel within walking distant for $90. Snuck some liquor in. All in all it was a nice affordable night.
71Fish
5/3/2016 5:54am
When I lived in SoCal in the late 90s-early 00s I went to a lot of NASCAR races between California, Las Vegas and Phoenix. Then the stands and infields were completely packed. For Vegas one year we bought tickets early and the best we could get were entering turn 3. Now those stands are covered so they don't look empty. The stands on the backstretch at PIR is either gone or covered, but you don't see them on TV anymore. My first race there those seats were cheap and provided a good view. I've read they took seats away at CA, there were only 80,000 seats to begin with, which is few considering the track length and TV market.

I don't know if NASCAR as a corporation is suffering, but FOX probably doesn't like what is going on.

How about the major stick and ball sports? How is attendance there?

Post a reply to: Supercross Attendance

The Latest