Stuff to check out in the Washougal area?

Sawfish
7/20/2014 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 6:56pm
Flying in Thursday night with my chick, we plan on hitting amateur day on Friday morning to check out the track for a couple hours but we'll have Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday day to do tourist stuff. Suggestions from locals in the Portland - Vancouver area?
|
S.Loyer
7/20/2014 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 5:22pm
Just head to downtown Portland and wonder, bring an appetite too. There is a lot of good food and beer in Portland.

There is a lot of cool stuff to see, architecture, parks and usually some type of festival is going on about every weekend.
Head on over to Voodoo Doughnuts, it taste like any other doughnut and not worth the wait but gotta say you did it. OSMI is pretty cool for a time killer.

If your looking for a fun place to party that whole city downtown pretty much turns into one big one but if you really want a good club scene or something, head down into China Town but would stay out of there during the day as its pretty depressing.

Be sure to check out Ground Control arcade, even if you aren't into that. Its like a trip the early 90's mid 80's and a good time.

There is also lots of good hiking trails around there where you can walk or even rent bicycles if your into that.
Tim507
7/20/2014 5:22pm
Thursday night head out to PIR for the annual Night MX before Washougal. The Pro Class will be big,fast and furious. The track is just north Portand proper.

Lots of great restaurants......Sunday head up the Gorge for lunch at Hood River...depending when you fly out you could make the loop from HR to Mt Hood and then back to the airport.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
7/20/2014 5:50pm
Tons of good food in Portland. If you make it early enough, check out Portland International Raceway. $15,000 pro purse, under the lights.

In SE Portland, the Hawthorn area has great food and shopping.

NW Portland you can check out Voo Doo Donuts and Portland City Grill(It's a restaurant on the top floor has the whole city view).

Walk across one of the bridges in the city for nice photos?
mx510
Fantasy
1909th
7/20/2014 5:54pm
My first suggestion is wait until Saturday to come to the track. It will cost you 40 extra dollars to watch the amateurs, as the wed through sat ticket is 60, and Saturday only is 40 per person. Portland has a ton of stuff to check out, that's where I would start.

The Shop

hartebreak
Fantasy
241st
7/20/2014 6:19pm
PIR always puts on a good race before Washougal. Multnomah Falls on the Oregon side of the river is pretty cool if that is your sort of thing. Downtown Portland has a ton of pubs and breweries.
JeepnMike
7/20/2014 8:43pm
The trip from Portland to the track isn't that short either, it isn't a quick trip back and forth. I agree with MX510 about avoiding amateur days unless you are staying at the track. I would suggest having a good time in Portland and getting to the track really freaking early on Saturday. Portland is a pretty cool and clean city to check out.

Worst case scenario, they have the best strip clubs with restaurants on the planet (Portland airport area).. At least that is the way it was when I "checked it out" 22 years ago. LOL. Nothing like a cold beer, eye candy, and a really good steak eh?Laughing
JeepnMike
7/20/2014 9:17pm
I should have reiterated, the reason nobody is saying anything about fun things to do in the Washougal area, is because there really isn't anything out there other than scenery. Your best bet for good food and drinks is the Portland area. If you are truly looking for things to do or see near the track, the only thing I can think of is a couple really scenic swimming spots in the river that winds along the road up to the track. Anything in-between Portland and the track, nothing.
Huevos
7/20/2014 9:52pm
I'm pissed I'm missing it. I scheduled to go to DC this weekend to visit my brother before realizing Washougal was the same weekend! Hopefully next year I can make it...
ridge
7/20/2014 10:48pm
I just kind of skimmed through the thread but just 45 minutes away is one of the coolest museums I've ever seen. It houses the Spruce Goose! It's amazing. Plan for a 1/2 day trip at least. You won't be disappointed.

Evergreen Museum
McMinnville, OR.
DanDunes818
7/20/2014 11:04pm
ridge wrote:
I just kind of skimmed through the thread but just 45 minutes away is one of the coolest museums I've ever seen. It houses the Spruce...
I just kind of skimmed through the thread but just 45 minutes away is one of the coolest museums I've ever seen. It houses the Spruce Goose! It's amazing. Plan for a 1/2 day trip at least. You won't be disappointed.

Evergreen Museum
McMinnville, OR.
Haha, yeah I was just there.. They turned it into a way overpriced waterpark/museum. Took the kids there thinking, heck, it can't be more than $15-$20 a person. Went to cashier and said , three kids (8-11 & 11) and she said that's $130. I said, no, just for today. Not a season pass. She says, yeah, $32 per person. Are you kidding me? Three waterslides and they charge as much as Magic Mountain.. haha..
Hut
7/21/2014 3:16am
There is Skamania lodge for wooded Columbia Gorge golf or drive East to Hood River, hood River bridge to scenic Highway 14 East to Maryhill winery and Maryhill museum. At the park you can take a selfie at Stonehenge
Hut
7/21/2014 3:46am
Snowboard or ski trip to Mount Hood timberline
7/21/2014 7:51am
ridge wrote:
I just kind of skimmed through the thread but just 45 minutes away is one of the coolest museums I've ever seen. It houses the Spruce...

Evergreen Museum
McMinnville, OR.
Haha, yeah I was just there.. They turned it into a way overpriced waterpark/museum. Took the kids there thinking, heck, it can't be more than $15-$20...
Haha, yeah I was just there.. They turned it into a way overpriced waterpark/museum. Took the kids there thinking, heck, it can't be more than $15-$20 a person. Went to cashier and said , three kids (8-11 & 11) and she said that's $130. I said, no, just for today. Not a season pass. She says, yeah, $32 per person. Are you kidding me? Three waterslides and they charge as much as Magic Mountain.. haha..
And to think Evergreen went bankrupt . Can you imagine what their rate was to lease one of their planes. Guess they got too comfortable with those goverment contracts. Smile
7/21/2014 7:54am
ridge wrote:

Evergreen Museum
McMinnville, OR.
Depends on the day and time. Usually takes an hour - hour and a half for the trip.
visser62
7/21/2014 8:26am
Depends on if you like city life or the great outdoors. There's plenty of both to bed had in the area!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
7/21/2014 8:29am
Being as your from Vegas, maybe some outdoor things would be fun. There's awesome swimming holes along the Washougal river, this is the same road you take to the track.

Multnoma falls is about 45-1 hour east of Portland. Right off the road.

A few minutes east from there you can hike to Pony tail falls which is like 20 minutes from the parking lot on an east trail. You can actually walk behind the falls, it's really cool!

rolandk
7/21/2014 8:58am
Rent bicycles and cruise around Portland. Waterfront park, Eastbank Esplanade, Saturday Market, SE Hawthorne area.
PC
7/21/2014 9:26am
You're in the thick of some of the best trails anywhere..... send your girl shopping and go ride!
Sandberm
7/21/2014 9:46am
Is that the waterfall where the kid got his leg stuck between rocks and had to be rescues a couple weekends back? It was somewhere on the Washougal River.

Josh422
7/21/2014 10:47am
I cannot stress the need to head straight to PIR once you land enough! Not even 15 minutes away and it's a GREAT night of racing.

JW381
7/21/2014 10:58am
Some stuff you probably don't have in Vegas: Voodoo Doughnuts (shit'll blow your mind) and Dutch Bros Coffee. Then just hang ten on the Columbia or one of the other outdoor spots mentioned above. Go to the PIR race if you can. You'll have as much fun as Washougal, I reckon. There's some cool beaches about an hour to 90 minutes from Portland.
jmc2
Fantasy
1753rd
7/21/2014 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 6:16pm
Portland, one of the coolest towns there is. Across the street from Voodoo Doughnuts

Prairieboy43
7/21/2014 7:30pm
Head out west to the Dunes. Go Salmon fishing, latch onto a siverback (coho). Might get lucky catch a tyee (king) salmon. Portland is awesome.
The Rock
7/21/2014 7:32pm
Hut wrote:
There is Skamania lodge for wooded Columbia Gorge golf or drive East to Hood River, hood River bridge to scenic Highway 14 East to Maryhill winery...
There is Skamania lodge for wooded Columbia Gorge golf or drive East to Hood River, hood River bridge to scenic Highway 14 East to Maryhill winery and Maryhill museum. At the park you can take a selfie at Stonehenge
Skamania lodge is killer and I stayed there two years ago. Great restaurant with a nice view too. Chef is from New Orleans and you can rent bicycles there as well. Only about a half hour or so east of the track.

Hope you and your lady have a great weekend!
Motoxtombo
7/21/2014 7:51pm
Being as your from Vegas, maybe some outdoor things would be fun. There's awesome swimming holes along the Washougal river, this is the same road you...
Being as your from Vegas, maybe some outdoor things would be fun. There's awesome swimming holes along the Washougal river, this is the same road you take to the track.

Multnoma falls is about 45-1 hour east of Portland. Right off the road.

A few minutes east from there you can hike to Pony tail falls which is like 20 minutes from the parking lot on an east trail. You can actually walk behind the falls, it's really cool!

I drove out to Washougal a few years ago,I just looked up Multnoma falls,I drove right past it and didn't even know it was there,I'm into waterfalls so I'm pissed I missed it. lol Hopefully I'll make it out there again someday.
bsharkey
7/21/2014 7:51pm
Well I know the Mary Jane is legal there Whistling
its still not legal to smoke in public, basically in the privacy of your home

Post a reply to: Stuff to check out in the Washougal area?

The Latest