Stuff like this never released into production

10/17/2014 9:06am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 6:04pm
There always been some secrets the top riders gets to test and r&d - this was one of them back a couple of years ago Icemans time at Yamaha.. TAG together with Yamaha did some Carbonfiber bends ( well used / known in the cycling industry ) one can always wonder why the concept vanished.

too much vibration may have been the problem - reason for not having proceeded with the concept.

Would be interesting to see if another company would try this carbon idea in the near future.
|
10/17/2014 9:12am
I dont know if i could ever fully trust them over normal bars, i know the stuff is strong but you know what i mean? ive seen this stuff shatter.
10/17/2014 9:13am
I dont know if i could ever fully trust them over normal bars, i know the stuff is strong but you know what i mean? ive...
I dont know if i could ever fully trust them over normal bars, i know the stuff is strong but you know what i mean? ive seen this stuff shatter.
I see your point. But there is tons of different variations of carbonfiber. I think there would be a future for it but at that time they obviously felt it did not. They look neat do !
Johnny Depp
10/17/2014 9:19am
These are some of the hottest selling bars out there for vets especially, composite, maybe not carbon fiber?

http://www.twistedengineering.com/products.php

RAISING THE BAR:

THE PROBLEM

Metal handlebars, with or without a cross bar, transfer the forces of impact, shock and vibration directly to the rider. Something has to give before your body gives up.

THE SOLUTION

Composi-FLEX composite handlebars are truly unique and designed to work in the real world where impacts, shock and vibrations occur in all directions. Our full composite design reduces or eliminates the forces transferred to the rider without affecting rider feel.

10/17/2014 9:23am
Like Soapbox racers who build these huge boat like abominations that take hundreds of man hours, only to cobble together an axle out of an old umbrella and stick x4 1920's oversized pushchair wheels on the thing.

Confidence would be a bit shaky, bum's would be twitching, as you sit there atop the big hill.

Maybe that's a bit too far, but you get the cut of my jib.

The Shop

10/17/2014 9:25am
Doesn't carbon fiber shatter? That could kill someone if they wrecked and fell on it or got impaled by it.
10/17/2014 9:27am
Doesn't carbon fiber shatter? That could kill someone if they wrecked and fell on it or got impaled by it.
Thats another good point! If it did it would be devistating for sure. But still there is tons of carbon fiber material out there, the right blend and it should not crack.
mx836
10/17/2014 10:22am
I wouldn't run them for the simple fact that they could snap and impale you.
Moto75
10/17/2014 10:29am
Don't know about Motocross... But, the C/F bars on my sons BMX race bike require very low torque on the clamp to prevent cracking. That area is also dressed with some abrasive material (like sandpaper) to keep them from slipping in the clamp. But abrasive stuff wears off with each adjustment. They also have a weigh limit, think his are 100 lbs max rider weight.
O___o
10/17/2014 10:30am
A lot of stuff never sees the light of day because of widespread public misconception. This thread is proof.
Cygnus
10/17/2014 10:32am
I've seen pro tapers break and the resulting sharp edges would impale you.
crusher773
10/17/2014 10:37am
I don't think a broken bar is the only thing that could impale you crashing a bike. There are these things called footpegs, they hurt.
mx836
10/17/2014 10:41am
Cygnus wrote:
I've seen pro tapers break and the resulting sharp edges would impale you.
Who hasn't. Little more feasible with carbon fiber.
10/17/2014 10:48am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 10:52am
O___o wrote:
A lot of stuff never sees the light of day because of widespread public misconception. This thread is proof.
Misconceptions or theories i would say its slightly different. public misconception. This thread is proof. Tell us something we dont know cause obviously you know something or am i wrong? I get confused by your comments sometimes idk if you are upset or not Tongue
O___o
10/17/2014 10:54am
O___o wrote:
Misconceptions or theories i would say its slightly different. public misconception. This thread is proof. Tell us something we dont know cause obviously you know something...
Misconceptions or theories i would say its slightly different. public misconception. This thread is proof. Tell us something we dont know cause obviously you know something or am i wrong? I get confused by your comments sometimes idk if you are upset or not Tongue
You're clearly offended by this post, and I'd like to know what is so offensive about it.

10/17/2014 10:55am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 10:56am

just light hearted banter i think O ___o
.kyle
10/17/2014 10:56am
I would imagine once graphene becomes more readily available, carbon bars will be a common sight in mx.
10/17/2014 10:58am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 10:59am
O___o wrote:
Misconceptions or theories i would say its slightly different. public misconception. This thread is proof. Tell us something we dont know cause obviously you know something...
O___o wrote:
You're clearly offended by this post, and I'd like to know what is so offensive about it.

Nono dont get me wrong im not offended i was wondering , cause you said people dont see some products because of the widespread public misconception. It is because you think people dont know what they talk about ? Thats what i was wondering Smile Only thing i am right now is hungry.
JerseyFresh
10/17/2014 11:01am
I dunno. Having ridden a MTB with carbon bars, they feel a lot different than alum bars. They feel, well, like plastic. I'd for sure want the flex that alum gives you and I don't really know how much the weight saving matter in MX vs MTB where everything is about shaving 1/2 grams of weight.
10/17/2014 11:02am
.kyle wrote:
I would imagine once graphene becomes more readily available, carbon bars will be a common sight in mx.
Agreed. Its been 7 years since this prototype was made. It sure feels like they came along way since? I would love to see a carbon bar, advantage / or not they look bad ass.
.kyle
10/17/2014 11:05am
.kyle wrote:
Agreed. Its been 7 years since this prototype was made. It sure feels like they came along way since? I would love to see a carbon...
Agreed. Its been 7 years since this prototype was made. It sure feels like they came along way since? I would love to see a carbon bar, advantage / or not they look bad ass.
Can't wait to see what the professionals do with graphene once it's commonplace. Suppose we'll have to make do with CNT's for the time being!
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
10/17/2014 11:05am
These are some of the hottest selling bars out there for vets especially, composite, maybe not carbon fiber? http://www.twistedengineering.com/products.php RAISING THE BAR: THE PROBLEM Metal handlebars...
These are some of the hottest selling bars out there for vets especially, composite, maybe not carbon fiber?

RAISING THE BAR:

THE PROBLEM

Metal handlebars, with or without a cross bar, transfer the forces of impact, shock and vibration directly to the rider. Something has to give before your body gives up.

THE SOLUTION

Composi-FLEX composite handlebars are truly unique and designed to work in the real world where impacts, shock and vibrations occur in all directions. Our full composite design reduces or eliminates the forces transferred to the rider without affecting rider feel.

Hottest selling? For Vets especially?

Who is paying $300 for a set of bars?

I know some silly vets with the expendable cash to blow on overpriced bling, but Sheez Louise!

10/17/2014 11:06am
These are some of the hottest selling bars out there for vets especially, composite, maybe not carbon fiber? http://www.twistedengineering.com/products.php RAISING THE BAR: THE PROBLEM Metal handlebars...

RAISING THE BAR:

THE PROBLEM

THE SOLUTION

Hman144 wrote:
Hottest selling? For Vets especially? Who is paying $300 for a set of bars? I know some silly vets with the expendable cash to blow on...

I know some silly vets with the expendable cash to blow on overpriced bling, but Sheez Louise!

Maybe a good product but i never heard of the brand? Are they trusty.
HenryA
10/17/2014 12:00pm
They do look authentic but are you sure that they are the real deal?
Anyway, one reason could be that they didn't have the right feeling. Just like the long-going rumour that pro riders cut the crossbrace for more flex and simply just hide that "in house" operation with the bar pad.

pacman00
10/17/2014 12:57pm
its your resin/epoxy/chemical mix that determines most of the flex, brittleness etc. ive seen levers, handlebars, fenders, pistons, and tons of other covers and guards made from carbon fiber and kevlar etc. so you can control alot of the characteristics of whatever carbon fiber component you make.
Johnny Depp
10/17/2014 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 1:56pm

RAISING THE BAR:

THE PROBLEM

THE SOLUTION

Hman144 wrote:
Hottest selling? For Vets especially? Who is paying $300 for a set of bars? I know some silly vets with the expendable cash to blow on...

Maybe a good product but i never heard of the brand? Are they trusty.
These things were back ordered for months, now they seem to have caught up, until I let the secret out over here. Lot's of discussion on Thumpertalk and it seems all good. Bad shoulders, wrists, fingers, carpal tunnel, arm pump all seem to be helped by these, and the max flex seems to be the ticket. Like the Flexx only lighter.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/42897-twisted-engineering-co…
Jan C
10/17/2014 2:39pm
I don't think it will be long before companies start pushing carbon bars on MX... Everyone loves new expensive and innovative parts...

Renthal have been making carbon handlebars for the MTB market for a couple of years now. Recently they have released the 780mm wide bar aimed a the downhill race market at only 225grams in weight

Renthal don't sell anything unless its been developed properly

I'm sure MX carbon bars won't be far off

http://cycling.renthal.com/shop/cycle-products/cycle-handlebars/cycle-f…
Kawaboy14
10/17/2014 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 2:58pm
carbon fiber struts are what make up the suspension on an F1 car. actually the whole car is made out of carbon fiber!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/17/2014 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2014 3:04pm
I guess you have never seen any of the renthal,alumilite or pro taper bars that have done the same thing and how many people have died from that ?
philG
10/17/2014 4:07pm
carbon fibre as a structural element has no place in motocross
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/17/2014 4:50pm
philG wrote:
carbon fibre as a structural element has no place in motocross
And why is that ?

Post a reply to: Stuff like this never released into production

The Latest