Street Legal CR500, Can you say "moving violation"?

Xeno
9/17/2014 9:47pm
I was looking at the same listing during lunch today. That's an awesome bike!
Crush
9/17/2014 10:18pm
get some supermoto wheels on it and lose your license in minutes! haha
Bearuno
9/17/2014 10:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2014 10:57pm
The last 200 CR500s in OZ - were registerable / licencable bikes. Brought in in 2002 to fill the void til the CRF450X came about. The Compliance Plate - needed for Rego, - makes them fairly desirable / pricey.

They were, about 10 /15 years too late / out of date.

They were intially, far to expensive. I waited till they dropped a fair few K down - then used up some favours, and got one of the last new ones, for trade price. More or less as a Coffee Table bike. But, in the years since, with many, many mods, I've got about 20,000Ks on it now - so much for being just a display bike. Still on the std bore - I've just fed it about 5 std pistons I had lying around from when I actually raced CRs.Mainly changed from feelings of guilt, and, I had the bloody things in old spares kits.

It's a big, cuddly Teddy Bear of a bike - easy to ride, laughably unneeding of maintenance. And, as it was outdated in about '91, well, there's no 'new model' update pressure. It's an engine that has barely more 'tech' to it, than a BSA Bantam....... I've made quite a few AFs for others, and had a couple myself, but the steel frame ( that I recently converted to a PDS system,using a modified spare swingarm and subframe, with an Ohlins TTX shock: - that will upset a few) is my favourite. Yes, that Is an AMP Torque Elininator that I used on an '89 CR125 / XR Hybrid - I just made sure to do the mods, so it could fit - it works well in rocky / rooty single track, but can be removed in a few minutes for Moto.

To pass emissions / noise tests And Learner Rider Laws, they came with one reed petal blocked with a steel plate, a washer with about a 15mm ID hole in it welded into the header pipe, a spacer over the throttle cable so you'd get only about 15 /20mm slide lift, and a long muffler, with the final section of perf core of about 19mm ID. Goodness knows how the bloody bike ran that way. A bloke I heard of used one to commute from Katoomba, to Parramatta to work set up that way - about 40 miles, each way. Madness. The lights are powered through a HM (you Yanks would know it as an E-Line) system.

I love the bloody thing, but with my knees , I could do with an Electric Start - I've a Auto Decompressor, that enables me to use a very short Gas Gas KS lever, but even with less 'lift' required, my non bendy knees, present a problem, unless the bike is in a hole. A 5 year old could start the bike - an old man with trashed knees? - well, mates say they get a laugh out of me trying to find a hole to put the wheels in, or a stump to stand on. Mostly, I just start it, and leave it running all day - radiator fans stop it from boiling over.

It's a wonderfully silly bike to ride single track with. WoohooEvil
FWYT
9/18/2014 1:11am
Years ago, me and my brother took one of his KX-500s and made it street legal.
Totally impractical but it was fun as hell. Coolest part was putting on buddy pegs
so we could take girls for rides. Good times!!!!

I'll try to find some photos.

The Shop

FWYT
9/18/2014 10:42am
Found it. As seen in Cycle World back when.

Post a reply to: Street Legal CR500, Can you say "moving violation"?

The Latest