Stock vs Mod?

USMCMXer
I have read a lot of posts, as well as interviews with different riders over the years, and it got me to thinking: What really constitutes a "Mod" bike vs a stocker? I know what the rules at Lorettas say, and I have my opinions on the matter, but interested to hear what some of you guys think differentiates the two? A pipe, re-valved suspension, A-Kit, internal motor work, bolt on gadgetry, all of the above? Please chime in with your opinions on this matter. Purely something to debate in this MX National downtime.
|
Braap19
8/8/2016 12:13pm
In My experience of racing both 250B mod and stock on a stock bike, the stock class is basically a bunch of cheater motors (ported polished, cams, race fuel, mapping, modded intakes) and then a mostly stock bike, save suspension and oh yeah, rotors and rims and brakes. So top racers in the stock class aren't really racing a stock bike is what I'm telling you.

Story time:
You would think bikes get protested but it's not often. I ran a yz 144 that was completely tricked out except a pipe in the stock class, my bike sounded completely different from every bike on the line (40 "stock" 125's). So different that a dad of another kid came and asked me what I had in the motor. I said it was stock and he didn't believe me, rightfully so. I won that race and was protested of course, and the guy who was supposed to tear down the motor and look at it, (an AMA official mind you) took the spark plug out, checked if the fuel was leaded and called it stock. The guy had no idea what he was looking for. And the protester contested my fuel and my compression. Both passed because they weren't actually checked. The kid to the right of me on the starting line pulled me on straightaways every single lap. His dad claimed it was a stock bike too. (Ended up being an Eric gore motor like mine but he had his bike geared different)

Mod bikes are even better however, a lot of the top guys in the B class had factory bikes from pro circuit or Geico Honda, they had probably spent more on parts building their mod bikes than I paid for a stock one brand new. A normal person can't compete on an equal field with people that can throw money at the sport.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/8/2016 12:26pm
Braap19 wrote:
In My experience of racing both 250B mod and stock on a stock bike, the stock class is basically a bunch of cheater motors (ported polished...
In My experience of racing both 250B mod and stock on a stock bike, the stock class is basically a bunch of cheater motors (ported polished, cams, race fuel, mapping, modded intakes) and then a mostly stock bike, save suspension and oh yeah, rotors and rims and brakes. So top racers in the stock class aren't really racing a stock bike is what I'm telling you.

Story time:
You would think bikes get protested but it's not often. I ran a yz 144 that was completely tricked out except a pipe in the stock class, my bike sounded completely different from every bike on the line (40 "stock" 125's). So different that a dad of another kid came and asked me what I had in the motor. I said it was stock and he didn't believe me, rightfully so. I won that race and was protested of course, and the guy who was supposed to tear down the motor and look at it, (an AMA official mind you) took the spark plug out, checked if the fuel was leaded and called it stock. The guy had no idea what he was looking for. And the protester contested my fuel and my compression. Both passed because they weren't actually checked. The kid to the right of me on the starting line pulled me on straightaways every single lap. His dad claimed it was a stock bike too. (Ended up being an Eric gore motor like mine but he had his bike geared different)

Mod bikes are even better however, a lot of the top guys in the B class had factory bikes from pro circuit or Geico Honda, they had probably spent more on parts building their mod bikes than I paid for a stock one brand new. A normal person can't compete on an equal field with people that can throw money at the sport.
I worked for a shop for four years between 08-12. The owners kids are pretty damn fast. They would ride both stock and mod at the big races. For a while no one could figure out how in the stock class they would get pulled so bad out of corners and down straights. We found out from a few other top riders in their classes that most of them are running mod bikes with stock exhausts on them. Leave it to the AMA to not know why they are doing and pass a mod bike as stock. This is why we can't have nice things lol.

And like you said, in the 250/450 b mod classes, how does the average kid run with those top kids on factory bikes? You're at a disadvantage from the start.
hillbilly
8/8/2016 2:12pm
Talking to a person that knows what they are talking about in the pit at muddy creek. I asked what the moto winners bikes were doing under the AMA awning. Are they getting torn down i asked.

He told me no AMA official could do it or know what to check

He then said you don't win a half million dollar title without being bored and stroked meaning 250s.

He should know .
Braap19
8/8/2016 2:22pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I worked for a shop for four years between 08-12. The owners kids are pretty damn fast. They would ride both stock and mod at the...
I worked for a shop for four years between 08-12. The owners kids are pretty damn fast. They would ride both stock and mod at the big races. For a while no one could figure out how in the stock class they would get pulled so bad out of corners and down straights. We found out from a few other top riders in their classes that most of them are running mod bikes with stock exhausts on them. Leave it to the AMA to not know why they are doing and pass a mod bike as stock. This is why we can't have nice things lol.

And like you said, in the 250/450 b mod classes, how does the average kid run with those top kids on factory bikes? You're at a disadvantage from the start.
I once raced a 450 in a 250 stock class at a LL area qualifier and got pulled several bike lengths on the start stretch at Elizabeth city, in the mud, by several bikes that were quite obviously fully mod bikes minus the pipe. And I was cheating being on a 450!

The Shop

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/8/2016 3:27pm
it really sounds like stock class rules need to re'vamp or scrapped all together.

Rules limiting motor work are difficult to monitor even in auto racing, so most dont limit internal work such as porting.
and with oem's making their own upgraded parts, if they dont mark them, to a naked eye how can one know whats what? unless the material is obviously different or if they are a big bore ie bigger piston.

to even do all the inspections would be a challenge to finish it in a week.

but its the same ol' song in any form of motorsports being the have's and have not's. we will never get away from it unless we go to a spec class, where one manufacturer supplies and preps each bike on the line.

Braap19
8/8/2016 3:59pm
That costs money, it will never happen
JM485
8/8/2016 4:43pm
So we have guys running big bores, ported motors, and even 450s in the 250 class. Hope you're proud of where you finished.
Braap19
8/8/2016 5:04pm
JM485 wrote:
So we have guys running big bores, ported motors, and even 450s in the 250 class. Hope you're proud of where you finished.
The point was that it happened with no oversight of the AMA and that it was easily done by a normal person of moderate speed. Not a factory backed racer.

And the 450 in the 250 class was really easy. I just took the decals off the stock bike and went up to the line and didn't act any differently. I was top three both motos and no one said a word about it. It was obvious I was on a 450 if you listened to the bike let alone looked at the motor and ama officials should have pulled me from the track but nothing happened because they know absolutely nothing about dirt bikes.
JoJmoto
8/8/2016 5:42pm
There have been a few times I have wondered about a few bike that lined up next to us. But, you still have to be a good rider to stay up front if your bike gets you there.

Just a couple weeks ago at Monster we had a yz125 wheelie off the line ride the wheelie 3/4 the way down the start and still pull the holeshot on the 250f's in the class. It was probably a yz144 but still, bad bike and a good rider nonetheless.
8/8/2016 5:44pm
So being on an actual stock bike pretty much means I'm getting out gunned...not to mention I'm on a twin pipe Honda. Lol!
8/8/2016 6:41pm
JM485 wrote:
X2... Probably Patriots fans too
JM485
8/8/2016 7:57pm
JM485 wrote:
Braap19 wrote:
The point was that it happened with no oversight of the AMA and that it was easily done by a normal person of moderate speed. Not...
The point was that it happened with no oversight of the AMA and that it was easily done by a normal person of moderate speed. Not a factory backed racer.

And the 450 in the 250 class was really easy. I just took the decals off the stock bike and went up to the line and didn't act any differently. I was top three both motos and no one said a word about it. It was obvious I was on a 450 if you listened to the bike let alone looked at the motor and ama officials should have pulled me from the track but nothing happened because they know absolutely nothing about dirt bikes.
Maybe I'm just bitter because I have to race against crazy hopped up motors and cheater bikes all the time in hillclimbing on a stock bike, but I really don't have patience for a POS that can't follow a basic rule and run a bike that's legal. If the class allows you to run a ported motor that's one thing, but running big bores is just ridiculous. Ironically, the guys I race with who win consistently aren't on the big bore cheater bikes, but it's the guys floundering to even get up the hill that think a big bore is the answer for their lack of skill. To be honest, it just pisses me off that a bunch of losers think it's fine to cheat just because they don't get caught, and then brag about it on a forum while trying to justify it since the sanctioning body is incompetent.

Like I said, enjoy that finish, you earned it brother. Congrats on beating a bunch of 250s on a 450.
8/8/2016 8:11pm
JM485 wrote:
Maybe I'm just bitter because I have to race against crazy hopped up motors and cheater bikes all the time in hillclimbing on a stock bike...
Maybe I'm just bitter because I have to race against crazy hopped up motors and cheater bikes all the time in hillclimbing on a stock bike, but I really don't have patience for a POS that can't follow a basic rule and run a bike that's legal. If the class allows you to run a ported motor that's one thing, but running big bores is just ridiculous. Ironically, the guys I race with who win consistently aren't on the big bore cheater bikes, but it's the guys floundering to even get up the hill that think a big bore is the answer for their lack of skill. To be honest, it just pisses me off that a bunch of losers think it's fine to cheat just because they don't get caught, and then brag about it on a forum while trying to justify it since the sanctioning body is incompetent.

Like I said, enjoy that finish, you earned it brother. Congrats on beating a bunch of 250s on a 450.
I agree 100%, well said.
hvaughn88
8/8/2016 8:15pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I worked for a shop for four years between 08-12. The owners kids are pretty damn fast. They would ride both stock and mod at the...

Braap19 wrote:
I once raced a 450 in a 250 stock class at a LL area qualifier and got pulled several bike lengths on the start stretch at...
I once raced a 450 in a 250 stock class at a LL area qualifier and got pulled several bike lengths on the start stretch at Elizabeth city, in the mud, by several bikes that were quite obviously fully mod bikes minus the pipe. And I was cheating being on a 450!
Are you proud of yourself?
Original 44
8/8/2016 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 10:37pm
It just means that everyone can run an extra class and the promoters can make more money. The integrity of the stock class left along time ago.
Braap19
8/8/2016 9:07pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:

Braap19 wrote:
I once raced a 450 in a 250 stock class at a LL area qualifier and got pulled several bike lengths on the start stretch at...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Am I proud of cheating better than other cheaters? No not now. This was three or four years ago. I haven't raced since 2012 and probably never will again because it's just not fun for me anymore. Im just telling people that it happens even in the Am ranks.
Braap19
8/8/2016 9:13pm
JM485 wrote:
Braap19 wrote:
The point was that it happened with no oversight of the AMA and that it was easily done by a normal person of moderate speed. Not...

JM485 wrote:
Maybe I'm just bitter because I have to race against crazy hopped up motors and cheater bikes all the time in hillclimbing on a stock bike...

Im not justifying cheating. I am talking about and telling people that it happens and giving experiences that I have with the rampant cheating that happens. If you would rather it be cloak and dagger about people cheating without any possible consequences in the sport ill hush up and never speak about it again.
zehn
8/8/2016 9:15pm
Braap19 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Braap19 wrote:
Am I proud of cheating better than other cheaters? No not now. This was three or four years ago. I haven't raced since 2012 and probably...
Am I proud of cheating better than other cheaters? No not now. This was three or four years ago. I haven't raced since 2012 and probably never will again because it's just not fun for me anymore. Im just telling people that it happens even in the Am ranks.
Too bad Gibby won't out your normal posting tag because you obviously made a throwaway just for this thread
Braap19
8/8/2016 9:18pm
zehn wrote:
Too bad Gibby won't out your normal posting tag because you obviously made a throwaway just for this thread
This is my only account actually and I did create it soley to talk on this thread.
8/8/2016 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2016 9:39pm
Way back in the day when I was on 80's I never really had a mod bike. I would always get beat by the same kids all the time and whine about it. One day the legendary DirtBikeMike shared this bit of wisdom with me. Stuck with me, and I made it to Loretta's in the 250A Pro Sport class (450 4 strokes had pretty much taken over by then) in 2005 on a bone stock KX 250 two stroke. I still got smoked, but hey, I made it.

zehn
8/8/2016 10:05pm
Way back in the day when I was on 80's I never really had a mod bike. I would always get beat by the same kids...
Way back in the day when I was on 80's I never really had a mod bike. I would always get beat by the same kids all the time and whine about it. One day the legendary DirtBikeMike shared this bit of wisdom with me. Stuck with me, and I made it to Loretta's in the 250A Pro Sport class (450 4 strokes had pretty much taken over by then) in 2005 on a bone stock KX 250 two stroke. I still got smoked, but hey, I made it.

Until somebody rides their mod bike vs. your stock bike like that
8/8/2016 11:38pm

I think all the Dads in the pits that are competing, newer bike, modded bike, bigger motorhome...

My son wanted a modded bike (everyone gets that Dad...)
I timed his lap, slower pace in the end of a heat.

My son got new running shoes.

USMCMXer
8/9/2016 12:45am
Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn. I like reading this debate, but my point was actually slightly different. Lately I've heard comments like Tommy Searle is racing a "stock" bike. I realize it is production based and not a factory works bike, but stock? Also we've debated before Andrew Short's Honda "stocker" winning that SX round. I know it had mods, but minor and effective ones, clearly. The debating racing stock vs mod is fine, but I am still curious what you guys think differentiates a stocker from a mod bike, post 1985 production rule?
hvaughn88
8/9/2016 4:38am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 4:38am
USMCMXer wrote:
Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn. I like reading this debate, but my point was actually slightly different. Lately I've heard comments like Tommy Searle...
Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn. I like reading this debate, but my point was actually slightly different. Lately I've heard comments like Tommy Searle is racing a "stock" bike. I realize it is production based and not a factory works bike, but stock? Also we've debated before Andrew Short's Honda "stocker" winning that SX round. I know it had mods, but minor and effective ones, clearly. The debating racing stock vs mod is fine, but I am still curious what you guys think differentiates a stocker from a mod bike, post 1985 production rule?
Well, I'm very literal when it comes to the definition. To me, stock is stock. For some reason it has always gotten under my skin when riders say "I was on a stock bike. All we did was put some suspension, pipe, silencer, ignition, high compression...etc."
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
8/9/2016 5:06am
zehn wrote:
Braap19 wrote:
This is my only account actually and I did create it soley to talk on this thread.
Is it not fun because you were so good at cheating you smoked everybody all the time? Or, is it not fun because even though you cheated you still got smoked?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
8/9/2016 5:11am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 5:13am
Here are the rules http://mxs.iscdn.net/2016/04/270_2016_ama_limited_class_chart_2-9-16.pdf

Should be easy to protest if indeed a mod bike. Supposed to even run stock hubs.

We run limited class and the only mods made are suspension and cosmetic stuff like bars, sprockets, chain, foot pegs etc... Engine is 100% stock, If you have to cheat to win stay home IMO. I despise cheaters....

One of the kids that trains here did better in 250C than in 250C limited on the same bike. He led 3 laps in the mod class got tired and faded back to 9th. I know you will say C class but some of the laps times of the winner were on par with some of the B class riders. I know for a FACT bike is 100% stock...

Remember what Travis Sewell did on the basically stock KTM during arenacross after the theft? They said over and over it basically was a stock bike with a pipe and suspension and he won some heats and finished well.

Point being, still takes a good rider no matter how good the bike is. I really wish they would start tearing down questionable bikes and police it a little better...
8/9/2016 6:10am
To me, a mod is something that changes a part's original geometry and enhances performance, and can't be undone easily without replacing a part, like porting and head mods to change the compression ratio. Jetting, valving, springs, tires, pipe, I consider as tuning. I always laugh when a kid says he has a mod bike and all he put on it is graphics, a pipe and a reed valve.
Braap19
8/9/2016 7:10am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Is it not fun because you were so good at cheating you smoked everybody all the time? Or, is it not fun because even though you...
Is it not fun because you were so good at cheating you smoked everybody all the time? Or, is it not fun because even though you cheated you still got smoked?
No i have never smoked anyone. I was a top five rider at a big race on my best days but I just got burnt out of racing. It was just too serious at that level and all I wanted was to have fun riding my dirt scooter

Stuntman949
8/9/2016 9:04am
Braap19 wrote:
This story, I do not believe.

Post a reply to: Stock vs Mod?

The Latest