Stock Yamaha chain and sprockets.

RandyS
11/3/2014 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 9:54am
Anyone know how long you can get out of a stock Yamaha chain and sprockets. A friend passed on an 03 YZ250 to me the other day that he got dirt cheap for the low low price of dirt cheap plus $100. For a grand total of $1000. It has original everything, not sure the owner ever washed it, looks like hell but the pegs are tight. It had original tires but he threw some takeoffs on before I picked it up. The only real clue is the stock sprockets, I haven't seen sprockets this hammered since the 70s. Both front and rear have teeth missing. Anyone ever run the piss out of the stockers? I've always replaced them when the bikes were new. How long can you get out of a stock rear Yamaha sprocket? I'm trying to get an idea of how many hours are on this thing.
|
RandyS
11/3/2014 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2014 8:48pm
OK, I know my run on post is painful to read. The condensed version of my question. Ballpark how long will a stock YZ250 chain and sprocket last. 10 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours?
jhansen510
Fantasy
3559th
11/3/2014 9:24pm
Doesn't really sound like they lasted. If not cleaned, lubed, tightened, not long. But hard to say. I'd do a rebuild just to know bike is safe.
enketchum
11/3/2014 9:29pm
I only run stock yamaha rear sprockets. They last forever. Longer than any sprocket but cost more, tooq
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
11/3/2014 9:51pm
enketchum wrote:
I only run stock yamaha rear sprockets. They last forever. Longer than any sprocket but cost more, tooq
Doubt you'd be saying that if you tried the Dirt Tricks sprockets.

The Shop

SwapperMX
11/3/2014 10:15pm
Yeah those standard chains are junk, I'd say maybe 20 - 25 hours if not maintained to get to the stage that teeth are missing front and rear.
11/3/2014 11:49pm
SwapperMX wrote:
Yeah those standard chains are junk, I'd say maybe 20 - 25 hours if not maintained to get to the stage that teeth are missing front...
Yeah those standard chains are junk, I'd say maybe 20 - 25 hours if not maintained to get to the stage that teeth are missing front and rear.
Ad say even less if not maintained
Lightning78
11/4/2014 12:55am
RandyS wrote:
Anyone know how long you can get out of a stock Yamaha chain and sprockets. A friend passed on an 03 YZ250 to me the other...
Anyone know how long you can get out of a stock Yamaha chain and sprockets. A friend passed on an 03 YZ250 to me the other day that he got dirt cheap for the low low price of dirt cheap plus $100. For a grand total of $1000. It has original everything, not sure the owner ever washed it, looks like hell but the pegs are tight. It had original tires but he threw some takeoffs on before I picked it up. The only real clue is the stock sprockets, I haven't seen sprockets this hammered since the 70s. Both front and rear have teeth missing. Anyone ever run the piss out of the stockers? I've always replaced them when the bikes were new. How long can you get out of a stock rear Yamaha sprocket? I'm trying to get an idea of how many hours are on this thing.
Dude I just picked up a 03 yz250 for 1300… its not that hammered lol… mostly all original with RG3 suspension and a full PC exhaust I'm going through it and am continuosly amazed at how well engineered the Yamaha is, this is my first Yamaha yz250 after mainly Hondas all my life and recently a Suzuki… Congrats on the smokin deal im excited to get out and let her eat!!
Jimfunn
11/4/2014 1:20am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2014 1:21am
I wouldn't want to put much more than 15 race hrs on the standard chain.
mmain62
11/4/2014 6:01am
My 07 has the stock sprockets on it granted it only had 10hrs on the bike since new when I got it in december of 13 and I have put about 6 hrs on it all year this year. I bought an 06 KX250F right when they came out and I knew nothing about bikes besides how to ride them at the time. That stock set lasted like 3 months of riding 3 times a week atleast , then teeth were popping off quite quick.
hillbilly
11/4/2014 6:21am
No telling how the chain stretches time wise,a good dickhead could kill one with a spray off at a car wash using the tire cleaning chems then no oil.

A better check of time on engine would be the plug,good chance it never fouled and is original,if so the electrode will be worn bad if a lot of time is on it.

Or pull the clutch cover and see how notched the basket is.

If the front knobs were worn at a angle that would indicate wheelies on the road.

I'dcheck compression and see what the psi is.
Sandberm
11/4/2014 6:52am
I probably put 40-50 hours on the stock chain and sprocket on my 02 YZ250 before I had to put new stuff on.

And, as a sidenote. I'm not a big fan of pressure washers so I never used a pressure washer on my bike for the longest time. Garden hose got 99% of the dirt off. My bike doesnt look shiney new after I wash it, but I know I didnt force water into every bearing either.
RandyS
11/4/2014 7:17am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2014 7:23am
The bike came from one of his customers, he said the guy was older and just bought a dual sport. We're both 52 so if the guy was "older" I'd say he wasn't doing wheelies on the road. I think he had done maintenance but didn't care about anything else. He certainly pushed the chain and sprockets past the limit.

My natural inclination was to split the cases and go through it, he knows I've taken brand new bikes before and spent 6 months to build them so he made me promise him that I wouldn't. He could have flipped it for $1500 pretty easily but he passed it on to me for a grand. I've known him since I was about 13 and he's been a bike mechanic for 30 plus years. He said it doesn't even need a top end so I'm going to listen to him.

I'll do a top end after I ride it a few times. I was planning on buying a $1500 RM and putting about a grand in it so I'll come out way ahead on this. Right now I'm planning on pulling it apart, powdercoating the frame, new plastic, the air box has a tear in it so I'm just going to do all the 15 stuff, and I've got a new set of takeoff rims from a new 450 that I spent 9 months building, put 2 hours on and sold(one of the reasons for my promise). And I've got a good FMF pipe for it, it already has an FMF spark arrestor. Then I'm going to watch Ebay for some SSS forks and maybe a newer shock. When I get those I'm going to get a set of Tusk wheels. At that point the forks and wheels will be going on a early 2000s Husky I'm building. I shouldn't be too much over $2000 into it when I'm done. It's mostly going to be a woods bike so it should be pretty perfect. I had planned on a 2002 RM so I could get a green sticker but I have a couple of Z50s registered for this very problem. I'll add pictures to the 2 stroke threads when I get started. Thanks for the info.
RandyS
11/4/2014 7:26am
RandyS wrote:
Anyone know how long you can get out of a stock Yamaha chain and sprockets. A friend passed on an 03 YZ250 to me the other...
Dude I just picked up a 03 yz250 for 1300… its not that hammered lol… mostly all original with RG3 suspension and a full PC exhaust...
Dude I just picked up a 03 yz250 for 1300… its not that hammered lol… mostly all original with RG3 suspension and a full PC exhaust I'm going through it and am continuosly amazed at how well engineered the Yamaha is, this is my first Yamaha yz250 after mainly Hondas all my life and recently a Suzuki… Congrats on the smokin deal im excited to get out and let her eat!!
I'll post some before pictures on your thread when I take them. My plastic has far more white than yours, a pretty nasty flat spot on the back rim, a stock pipe with dents, and well past usefulness chain and sprockets. We're probably pretty even in the smokin deal department.
11/4/2014 7:33am
enketchum wrote:
Agreed. I had my stock stuff on for 40 hours and it still looked good. I took it off because I got tired of looking at it. It's still hanging on my garage wall in case I feel like putting it back on.
mmain62
11/4/2014 8:00am
Agreed. I had my stock stuff on for 40 hours and it still looked good. I took it off because I got tired of looking at...
Agreed. I had my stock stuff on for 40 hours and it still looked good. I took it off because I got tired of looking at it. It's still hanging on my garage wall in case I feel like putting it back on.
Im about to do that same thing this winter when I try to trick the bike out a bit.
11/6/2014 5:33am
mmain62 wrote:
Im about to do that same thing this winter when I try to trick the bike out a bit.
I went to a Mika Metals sprocket and chain. They were ok. Once that wore out I went back to Sunstar sprockets mated with a Renthal chain. I went steel on the rear. I doubt it will ever wear. Sunstar has it going on.
Skerby
11/6/2014 9:49am
Mine lasted forever. I replaced the chain twice on the stock sprockets though, or something like that, this was like 6 years ago now...
Titan1
11/6/2014 9:54am
The chains are junk...but the sprockets can last a long time.

Post a reply to: Stock Yamaha chain and sprockets.

The Latest