Stewart's Riding--A Theory

pilotdude
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 10:54am
I just spoke to a long time industry insider who shall remain nameless. Not to pile on Stewart here but his opinion is that Stewart has made many incredibly dumb moves in the past that have put other riders in danger, ie Preston, Tedesco, Carmichael, Partridge, etc. (Actually, that is more a statement of fact than an opinion but I digress.)

He feels that because Stewart rides on his own private supercross track every day, coupled with the fact that he knows he is almost always the "fastest" rider, he has developed an attitude that every track he rides on belongs to him. Even as a fan of Stewart's speed, after watching the events of Saturday night, as well as the last 7 years, it's kind of hard for me to disagree with him.

And I can't excuse them with the standard "it's just racing" dissmissal. Everyone makes mistakes as we are all human, but for the life of me I don't remember Carmichael making so many--if any--of these kind of moves that have put so many other riders in danger--ESPECIALLY this late into his career. He's been a pro since 2002 for God's sake.

|
jackson222
1/18/2010 8:06pm
I think your right, but what can we do to change it? Or the AMA for that matter?

They can't do anything unless he pulls a blatantly dangerous move that seriously injures someone. And moves like the one we saw at Phoenix on the weekend look more like an act of stupidity then intentional dangerous actions.
jeffro503
1/18/2010 8:20pm
I don't think there is anything any of us can do , except pray and hope he changes the way he races a bike. I really hope it doesn't come to the point where he ends some riders career. the thing is with Stewart is : he has all the natural talent in the world along with the speed to win championships......but he takes himself out of the championship hunt 50% of the time because of the way he rides. Unfortunately , there is nothing we can do except sit back and see what he is going to do next. If he would just calm the hell down a little , he could start winning some more titles. And yeah.....after 7 years of being a pro , he still makes rookie mistakes some times.........and at the speed that dude rides at......it's like a friggin' missle. The starting line at any race he is at almost makes me think of some kind of a national geographic show where someone put a bunch of little white tail deer in a cage.......with a friggin' Grizzly bear! HAHA!!
Sonny
1/18/2010 8:34pm
I've said it before, Stewart has clear signs of ADD, IMO. He doesn't necessarily mean for shit to go wrong, it just does.(and I don't believe he meant to sway in front of KP)
Once something goes wrong, it's hard to pull the focus back, and more impulsive shit happens.

Go back to the SX race where Tedesco got hurt at Stewart's error....Preston became a casualty of James inattentiveness.

Not a bad guy, and may be a very good explanation.
IceMan446
1/18/2010 8:37pm
I disagree...the RC and Bubba crash at unadilla was a result of lines crossing not out of stupidity. Bubba wasn't letting off nor was RC and that happens some times in racing. The preston incident was just him wanting to get back on the track as soon as possible and not being able to see over the 12 foot finish line jump to see if some one was coming. The partridge incident was a bad move and not paying attention to where another rider was on the track. james fault and luckily partridge didn't get hurt.

The Shop

1/18/2010 8:39pm
Why else would he have blown his lid with Chad?

Unless Reedy could have seen into the future and laid his bike down or tacked hard left and over the berm, no way he could have avoided James turning into his line. But that seems to be what JS expected - that he owned the track, corner, and Reeds line.

I love what Bubbles has done for himself and the sport. He's taken racing to new levels. Last Saturday he behaved like an inconsiderate, spoiled 3 year old, not a Supercross champion.
KiNG DeJaVu
1/18/2010 8:39pm
that wreck was just an accident..stewart hit that triple and drifted to the right undr KP..KP could do nothing but hope the best that stewart cleared him..he didnt. just a simple mistake by james put him under kp.
the_wood109
1/18/2010 8:46pm
4 posts here, and all very level headed presentations of your opinions...I'm amazed.

There are plenty of examples of Stewart making bad choices in the past. I'll agree with that.

However, I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion. After seeing the race, Stewart getting landed on wasn't just a result of him making a bad choice. A few things took place, and that was a result. To me that is a racing incident all the way.

The Reed situation again was a combo. There wasn't just one reason for that spill. Reed was on the inside AND Stewie cut back. Again racing to me, and I can understand why both parties are pissed. This is a "ME" sport. Everything is about me, so its no surprise when a bunch of forum junkies are all " MY opinion is the right one!"

You want to talk about an incident that nobody else was to blame but Stewie, look at when he landed on RC. Now that was a bonehead move. This particular situation took more than one person to make the wrong call.

The worst part about it is pushing the bike off the stand, which is worthy of a 5k or so fine, IMHO. Riders are expected to act professional. Again, I can understand the AMA a little bit with the Reed fine. However that should have been overturned much sooner....as in as soon as a tape was available.
IceMan446
1/18/2010 8:47pm
Why else would he have blown his lid with Chad? Unless Reedy could have seen into the future and laid his bike down or tacked hard...
Why else would he have blown his lid with Chad?

Unless Reedy could have seen into the future and laid his bike down or tacked hard left and over the berm, no way he could have avoided James turning into his line. But that seems to be what JS expected - that he owned the track, corner, and Reeds line.

I love what Bubbles has done for himself and the sport. He's taken racing to new levels. Last Saturday he behaved like an inconsiderate, spoiled 3 year old, not a Supercross champion.
Turning into chads line? James ran the same line for the previous 6 laps. Chad went in for a block pass and they went down racing incident nothing more nothing less. So there is no blame to be placed on either rider.
johnarm
1/18/2010 8:49pm
I am a long time fan, but the truth is- he's just an arrogant, overpaid self centered cry baby that always gets his way and when he does'nt, he has temper tantrums. Everybody around him showers him with constant attention and praise and he thinks he is the gift to the world.

He's got 15 rounds and I dont' think he can do it this year.
crowe176
1/18/2010 8:51pm
Actually, Big James owns the track. Cause he can kick everyone's ass there. He's a big mutha.

Holla
TerryK
1/18/2010 9:01pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I disagree...the RC and Bubba crash at unadilla was a result of lines crossing not out of stupidity. Bubba wasn't letting off nor was RC and...
I disagree...the RC and Bubba crash at unadilla was a result of lines crossing not out of stupidity. Bubba wasn't letting off nor was RC and that happens some times in racing. The preston incident was just him wanting to get back on the track as soon as possible and not being able to see over the 12 foot finish line jump to see if some one was coming. The partridge incident was a bad move and not paying attention to where another rider was on the track. james fault and luckily partridge didn't get hurt.
lol, now THAT'S funny!

JS couldn't see over the 12 foot high jump???? Oh brother!

Dude, Preston was 20 feet in the air, above and to the right of James and JS a perfectly clear view of Preston......if he would have bothered to turn his head.
MX479Guy
1/18/2010 9:02pm
IceMan446 wrote:
I disagree...the RC and Bubba crash at unadilla was a result of lines crossing not out of stupidity. Bubba wasn't letting off nor was RC and...
Actually go back and watch video f that crash with Preston. At no point did James even attempt to look to his right at all. He just darted onto the track on the backside of a blind jump and the result was Preston harpooning him.

As a PRO he's got to be aware that SX is dangerous and he got to use some caution when re-entering that track, especially in that situation.

In his heat race it was just a very bad move. He has to be aware that changing lines over a triple at the beginning of a race when everyone is so tight packed can be a really dangerous thing.

Sometimes I think james' ego runs on adrenaline hyperdrive and the result is usually a crash and lots of arguing.
1/18/2010 9:06pm
What about the two times he pushed his bike in the path of Windham? They could have been career ending for both.
1/18/2010 9:14pm
sharkey wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg im sorry ice man but james is a idiot, he should have picked a differnet line or back off til the time was right. watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg im sorry ice man but james is a idiot, he should have picked a differnet line or back off til the time was right. watch this again
no helmet slap? wtf!
sharkey
1/18/2010 9:17pm
IceMan446 wrote:
MX479Guy wrote:
Actually go back and watch video f that crash with Preston. At no point did James even attempt to look to his right at all. He...
Actually go back and watch video f that crash with Preston. At no point did James even attempt to look to his right at all. He just darted onto the track on the backside of a blind jump and the result was Preston harpooning him.

As a PRO he's got to be aware that SX is dangerous and he got to use some caution when re-entering that track, especially in that situation.

In his heat race it was just a very bad move. He has to be aware that changing lines over a triple at the beginning of a race when everyone is so tight packed can be a really dangerous thing.

Sometimes I think james' ego runs on adrenaline hyperdrive and the result is usually a crash and lots of arguing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoKCebsUvo its near the end but heres the video you were talking about, your right he never looked at all
drmarkr
1/18/2010 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2010 9:21pm
that wreck was just an accident..stewart hit that triple and drifted to the right undr KP..KP could do nothing but hope the best that stewart cleared...
that wreck was just an accident..stewart hit that triple and drifted to the right undr KP..KP could do nothing but hope the best that stewart cleared him..he didnt. just a simple mistake by james put him under kp.
You're still here?? I thought we excused you......
1/18/2010 9:26pm
that wreck was just an accident..stewart hit that triple and drifted to the right undr KP..KP could do nothing but hope the best that stewart cleared...
drmarkr wrote:
You're still here?? I thought we excused you......
he says such dumb shit its almost funny.
MX479Guy
1/18/2010 9:27pm
After watching that video again it shows that not only did James not look before going back on the track but a few before that he damn near harpooned reed off the track with his pass.

History shows it's not just a first time thing
IceMan446
1/18/2010 9:28pm
IceMan446 wrote:
TerryK wrote:
lol, now THAT'S funny! JS couldn't see over the 12 foot high jump???? Oh brother! Dude, Preston was 20 feet in the air, above and to...
lol, now THAT'S funny!

JS couldn't see over the 12 foot high jump???? Oh brother!

Dude, Preston was 20 feet in the air, above and to the right of James and JS a perfectly clear view of Preston......if he would have bothered to turn his head.
It was a split second decision from james...preston was leaving the lip as james was pulling out on to the track. I don't think he expected preston to close that fast. Was it a wise decision no...
swizcore
1/18/2010 9:34pm
Stewart didn't "drift", he cross jumped (definition= changing lines in the air).
gt80rider
1/18/2010 9:36pm
johnarm wrote:
I am a long time fan, but the truth is- he's just an arrogant, overpaid self centered cry baby that always gets his way and when...
I am a long time fan, but the truth is- he's just an arrogant, overpaid self centered cry baby that always gets his way and when he does'nt, he has temper tantrums. Everybody around him showers him with constant attention and praise and he thinks he is the gift to the world.

He's got 15 rounds and I dont' think he can do it this year.
the sad part to me is....... he has such an advantage in speed, that he could literally coast all the rounds and win the title.... he has every reason to stay smart and ride conservatively and wrap the title up early..... but instead, he pulls some bone head moves and all of a sudden it's going to be an uphill battle for him to go home the champ... i've never seen Bubba compared to Magoo..... but i'm starting to think that way...... on all days he's willing to leave the gas WFO more than anyone else on the track... on some days he wins by a mile, on others, he ends up on the ground... on all days, he's an inch away from a helicopter ride......

and if Dungey takes the title and walks away with all that momentum, stick a fork in Bubba.....
IceMan446
1/18/2010 9:36pm
What about the two times he pushed his bike in the path of Windham? They could have been career ending for both.
Or when RC crawled off the whoops in front of a rider...they were knocked silly bro you cant expect them to make the best decision after their bell was rung.
Adam43
1/18/2010 9:39pm
Stewart just loses his head when he gets behind, or tries to recover from a crash. Always has. He's pretty calm for the most part, but that tunnel vision really bites him now and then.
MX479Guy
1/18/2010 9:43pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Or when RC crawled off the whoops in front of a rider...they were knocked silly bro you cant expect them to make the best decision after...
Or when RC crawled off the whoops in front of a rider...they were knocked silly bro you cant expect them to make the best decision after their bell was rung.
That's just it....James seems to get his bell rung a lot and it's not an excuse.

I don't care how tough he is physically, I think he has a huge chink in his armor and mentally people are in his head.

The truth is he probably has too many yes men around him. Nothing is ever his fault.

There is something called humility and James doesn't seem to have any of it.
IceMan446
1/18/2010 9:44pm
sharkey wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg im sorry ice man but james is a idiot, he should have picked a differnet line or back off til the time was right. watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjLFCKjLsg im sorry ice man but james is a idiot, he should have picked a differnet line or back off til the time was right. watch this again
I've watched it plenty of times. James ran an outside in line and RC ran an inside out line. Bubba was committed and RC checked up to pinch off the inside a little bit. Bubba was in the air and had already committed to that line expecting RC to float outside with his momentum. So to say he is an idiot is inncorrect. He saw an opening and went for it based on the line RC was taking. A racing incident of lines crossing. People forget RC used to cut over on MC all the time, go back and watch some races. That was a part of racing, taking the line away from the other rider nothing wrong with that IMO. Now that bubba does it it is the dumbest thing ever?
the_wood109
1/18/2010 9:48pm
sharkey wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
I've watched it plenty of times. James ran an outside in line and RC ran an inside out line. Bubba was committed and RC checked up...
I've watched it plenty of times. James ran an outside in line and RC ran an inside out line. Bubba was committed and RC checked up to pinch off the inside a little bit. Bubba was in the air and had already committed to that line expecting RC to float outside with his momentum. So to say he is an idiot is inncorrect. He saw an opening and went for it based on the line RC was taking. A racing incident of lines crossing. People forget RC used to cut over on MC all the time, go back and watch some races. That was a part of racing, taking the line away from the other rider nothing wrong with that IMO. Now that bubba does it it is the dumbest thing ever?
I can respect that, but i disagree with it. I've seen it many times myself...riders like their lines. James did take that line for the entire race, yes, but I couldn't see any good reason to jump down the hill at that time.
MX479Guy
1/18/2010 9:50pm
You just don't get it iceman.

Bumping is part of racing... But cross jumping a triple is dangerous!
IceMan446
1/18/2010 10:01pm
MX479Guy wrote:
You just don't get it iceman.

Bumping is part of racing... But cross jumping a triple is dangerous!
Go back and read my post...I said crossing over on a jump like bubba did to partridge is not cool. I said it was James fault all the way so how do I not get it. Maybe you don't read the previous posts when I commented on that.
the_wood109
1/18/2010 10:03pm
Well he didn't swerve from one side to another. He did move, though.

Post a reply to: Stewart's Riding--A Theory

The Latest