Stewart, Stanton, Renner, Williamson and Weigandt on the Pulpmx Show Tonight!

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/13/2012 5:45pm
Matthes, I think your listeners were up beacuase of the 2-stroke Renner rode... Seems like you might be missing out on that fact... It was the...
Matthes,

I think your listeners were up beacuase of the 2-stroke Renner rode... Seems like you might be missing out on that fact...

It was the reason I tuned in... several others on here mentioned the same thing...
Matthes wrote:
Oh yeah? You don't think it had anything to do with James Stewart and Stanton? I think you guys are vastly overrating yourselves. How you think...
Oh yeah? You don't think it had anything to do with James Stewart and Stanton? I think you guys are vastly overrating yourselves. How you think people out there who don't go on message boards care about a guy they'd probably never heard of who didn't make the main?

You know what I really could have done if I hate the two-strokes and want to push an agenda? Not have him on the show but nope, it was a cool story, he did better than I thought and I thought some press for him would be cool.
I thought it was a good show, I listened because of Stewy and Stanton. Personally I don't care about some kid on a 125.

I swear, mx fans have turned into whiney bitches.
sdfog1
3/13/2012 5:46pm
Wow. I didn't know so many people hated Matthes. At least we have a media guy that has an opinion on some things. I think a lot of people sometimes don't understand the show because they haven't listened to it since it started. Lots of inside jokes and sarcasm, etc. Maybe I'm just brainwashed? Ha.
chuckie108
3/13/2012 6:06pm
First off- I love all the shit you do Matthes! Keep up the good work! There was a time in my life when I would stalk the mailbox looking for the new issue of CycleNews/MXA/DirtRider/Motocross/RacerX/ etc.. but not anymore as the majority of moto media these days is so trite and lame that I couldn't be bothered. It's all like one big post race interview these days- where has all the good content gone? Well the PulpMX show is great most weeks, the post race interviews are some times good, sometimes lame, and the mid week podcats are usually AWESOME! Did any of you listen to the one from last week with Rob Henricksen? (you fucked up the spelling Matthes :-) ) It was really cool- not to mention the ones with Holley, Ross Meada, Rollerball, Lechein, ..................................and the one from Dave Arnold I've listened to several times!!!! I really can't see a moto fan doing anything but loving these- they are that good IMHO. I'll get off Matthes' nuts now.

As for 4 stroke VS. 2 stroke. I we really arguing over this? That's like arguing over good looking women! I don't have to hate blondes to like brunettes. I may love one more, but I'm still a fan of the other as well. I love the old days too- hell I'm trying to get myself a vintage racer as I type this, plus I own a YZ250, but I love how easy it is to get around the track on my new school thumper too! This whole issue really comes down to market factors and how the OE's respond them- not whetther Matthes agree's with your point of veiw on 2 strokes VS 4 strokes. Last time I checked, no one on this board is working at and OE planning future models, so no need to personally attack anyone becasue it's not changing anything anyways. Renner has probably shown the most level head in this whole deal- loves to race, knows the most competetive machine is a thumper. Figures he's not out there making a living anyways, so lets have a good time by spicing things up with a 2 stroke. Kudos to Renner for doing things for the right reasons- the love of our sport regardless of machine choice!
zippy895
3/13/2012 6:09pm
Tbteam wrote:
I think the underlying stat that's being missed here is that the show was probably heard by a few hundred people tops. Not exactly prime time...
I think the underlying stat that's being missed here is that the show was probably heard by a few hundred people tops.

Not exactly prime time major network stuff.
Matthes wrote:
We've been stuck on 199 for a few weeks so if you could listen and put us right at that two hundred mark, that would be...
We've been stuck on 199 for a few weeks so if you could listen and put us right at that two hundred mark, that would be awesome. You seem to really know a lot of things so if we were to be so lucky as to get you listening, I feel like it would be a benchmark for the show.
Tbteam wrote:
I have to admit, you are very perceptive. I [i]do[/i] know a lot of things, and I [i]don't[/i] listen. You are the Chinese knock off of...
I have to admit, you are very perceptive.

I do know a lot of things, and I don't listen.

You are the Chinese knock off of internet MX radio.

I know of a web board where every time someone types your name, "COPY CAT" is displayed in the post instead of "Mathes".

Makes me laugh every time.
dude, you got this odd chip on your shoulder i just cant figure out.

The Shop

zippy895
3/13/2012 6:19pm
chuckie108 wrote:
First off- I love all the shit you do Matthes! Keep up the good work! There was a time in my life when I would stalk...
First off- I love all the shit you do Matthes! Keep up the good work! There was a time in my life when I would stalk the mailbox looking for the new issue of CycleNews/MXA/DirtRider/Motocross/RacerX/ etc.. but not anymore as the majority of moto media these days is so trite and lame that I couldn't be bothered. It's all like one big post race interview these days- where has all the good content gone? Well the PulpMX show is great most weeks, the post race interviews are some times good, sometimes lame, and the mid week podcats are usually AWESOME! Did any of you listen to the one from last week with Rob Henricksen? (you fucked up the spelling Matthes :-) ) It was really cool- not to mention the ones with Holley, Ross Meada, Rollerball, Lechein, ..................................and the one from Dave Arnold I've listened to several times!!!! I really can't see a moto fan doing anything but loving these- they are that good IMHO. I'll get off Matthes' nuts now.

As for 4 stroke VS. 2 stroke. I we really arguing over this? That's like arguing over good looking women! I don't have to hate blondes to like brunettes. I may love one more, but I'm still a fan of the other as well. I love the old days too- hell I'm trying to get myself a vintage racer as I type this, plus I own a YZ250, but I love how easy it is to get around the track on my new school thumper too! This whole issue really comes down to market factors and how the OE's respond them- not whetther Matthes agree's with your point of veiw on 2 strokes VS 4 strokes. Last time I checked, no one on this board is working at and OE planning future models, so no need to personally attack anyone becasue it's not changing anything anyways. Renner has probably shown the most level head in this whole deal- loves to race, knows the most competetive machine is a thumper. Figures he's not out there making a living anyways, so lets have a good time by spicing things up with a 2 stroke. Kudos to Renner for doing things for the right reasons- the love of our sport regardless of machine choice!
well said,thank you.
Tbteam
3/13/2012 6:23pm
Matthes wrote:
We've been stuck on 199 for a few weeks so if you could listen and put us right at that two hundred mark, that would be...
We've been stuck on 199 for a few weeks so if you could listen and put us right at that two hundred mark, that would be awesome. You seem to really know a lot of things so if we were to be so lucky as to get you listening, I feel like it would be a benchmark for the show.
Tbteam wrote:
I have to admit, you are very perceptive. I [i]do[/i] know a lot of things, and I [i]don't[/i] listen. You are the Chinese knock off of...

I know of a web board where every time someone types your name, "COPY CAT" is displayed in the post instead of "Mathes".

zippy895 wrote:
dude, you got this odd chip on your shoulder i just cant figure out.
Having been around for a bit, sometimes I get a little annoyed when I perceive that someone is more interested in being in the limelight than actually being a journalist. Hey, I'll admit that I could be completely wrong, but Steve strikes me as the former.

Maybe he's a great guy and I'm the idiot here. I just haven't liked the development of his "character" over the past few seasons.

Seems as though I'm not the only one, but as I said, I could be totally wrong about the guy. I could also be totally spot on.

As far as having an "odd chip on my shoulder", I don't see it.
Matthes
3/13/2012 6:28pm
Tbteam wrote:

Yeah, it would be nice for a guy like you who is so much smarter than me to listen but I understand you have much better things to do. Strange that you don't listen yet you know that we do a Chinese knock off internet radio show. One would think that someone as douchy, I mean smart, as you would listen to a show so that they would know they were right in spouting off claims of copying.

Makes me laugh every time you post.
Tbteam
3/13/2012 6:30pm
Don't you have some copy to submit for twenty bucks to some random online mx site?
zippy895
3/13/2012 6:34pm
Tbteam wrote:
Don't you have some copy to submit for twenty bucks to some random online mx site?
that chip
Matthes
3/13/2012 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2012 6:38pm
Tbteam wrote:
Yeah, in my status as someone who loves being in the limelight, I'm working on a column about internet posters who also claim to be super smart and know all about a radio show that they admit they've never listened to.

First up is you.

Congrats.

P.S- I'll split the $20 bucks with you.
Tbteam
3/13/2012 6:38pm
Tbteam wrote:
zippy895 wrote:
that chip
I should just STFU and not respond? I don't think so.
Tbteam
3/13/2012 6:39pm
Tbteam wrote:
Matthes wrote:
Yeah, in my status as someone who loves being in the limelight, I'm working on a column about internet posters who also claim to be super...
Yeah, in my status as someone who loves being in the limelight, I'm working on a column about internet posters who also claim to be super smart and know all about a radio show that they admit they've never listened to.

First up is you.

Congrats.

P.S- I'll split the $20 bucks with you.
Cool! Give me a call and we'll do the interview.
BR_HERO
3/13/2012 7:05pm
Tbteam wrote:
I think the underlying stat that's being missed here is that the show was probably heard by a few hundred people tops. Not exactly prime time...
I think the underlying stat that's being missed here is that the show was probably heard by a few hundred people tops.

Not exactly prime time major network stuff.
What do you do for the sport? Besides bitch at people for having there own opinion on their own show. Steve does a lot for the fans and riders of sc/mx.
Torco1
3/13/2012 7:26pm
This gets more awesome by the minute. It's like a car crash, I cannot look away.
GHR
3/13/2012 8:27pm
Well, Im a fan of the show, even if Matthes dont think SH105 still has it haha, how could a SX/MX show be a bad thing?....and didn't Matthes send $200 bucks to Renner? Probably more than all the 2 stroke flag warriors in here sent eh? Whistling
(Frankly I thought the dialogue between Matthes and Weedge was sarcastic gold.)

PulpMX is all things PRO racing with riders personalities, race recaps and cool or not so cool stories of that whole scene. It is not intended to help or promote a few blue collar 4 stroke haters in some lame attempt to feel better about owning these underpowered dying collectors items. 2Ts have, for the most part, turned into a hobby for fun and conversation, than a tool to beat the next guy to the checkers at the local or ameteur races.

....and yes, I miss the smell of Anaheim Stadium 1986, but not at the expense of losing a race now, (believe me I need all the help I can get on the track too), and thats the story for 98% of everyone on here, another strong argument for the thumper.

They are faster and faster costs more money....period, and PulpMx or Pro moto dudes do not profit from 2T sales on any level.
Highflier
3/13/2012 8:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2012 8:57pm
This site is interesting....every time I visit I see how guys that were given participation trophies as kids in sports act when they get behind a keyboard as 'grown ups'....freakin joke some of you guys..... two-strokes arent ever coming back...get over it,
3/13/2012 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2012 9:13pm
Just to keep this thread from getting derailed I'll throw in my .02

People need to understand that the issue is not 2 strokes vs 4 strokes as in one is better than the other, but cc for cc equality which is obviously absent from todays pro racing.

2 strokes are great motocross bikes with their obvious pros and cons.

4 strokes are also great motocross bikes with their obvious pros and cons.

It is great that amateur motocross is progressive enough to level the playing field, but I'm talking about pro racing. Why not level the playing field? Can any four stroke junkie here give me a straight answer as to why you really need twice the displacement anymore? I mean a real logical answer as to why four strokes TODAY, still deserve their handicap that was given to them to actually make competitive.

I mean I thought two strokes sucked, that is what all you guys say especially Matthes, so why are you so diligent to keep them out of racing? If they suck then the results will show that, and no one would race them.

If you level the playing field, you give the consumer options. Consumers love choices, and it would make the racing absolutely fantastic, two strokes vs four strokes with different rider styles attributing to the various style and line choices, the passing would just be awesome.

But, like everything, it all comes down to $$$$ and the pro racing scene is all about that green. Sucks but that is life.
Mstock
3/13/2012 9:54pm
So am I correct to think that the mags and websites don't give two shits about local motocross? As long as there are bikes on the line at a pro sx or mx they think their future is secure?

Bullshit.

They don't give two shits that the sport is dying. Or don't they even know? What are the 10 guys from every state do to qualify for illiterate lynns when the local tracks are gone? Are they going to wait until it's too late? They can't blame it on the economy anymore. The gates are still empty. Bike shops are still closing. Used two strokes have dried up. No such thing as a used thumper.

If none of the websites or magazines give a shit that's cool. I stopped following baseball after little league. I stopped following football after playing high school ball. I don't live vicariously through the actions of others. When I am done riding/racing I will stop following this sport.

Let the pro riders buy all the bikes, boots, helmets, parts, etc. Oh wait they get that all for free. And since the local riders are gone the companies can absorb the loss with zero sales. Yeah that math works. Let the pro's have websites were they can talk to themselves about themselves. Oh wait Twitter already does that.

If the Mcf's, major aftermarket companies, magazines, websites, etc do not give a damn about local racing dying off faster than a herion addict than so be it. I had my time in the sun. Full gates. New bikes every year. New gear every couple months.
There is no reason to race any more at the local level. It started 10 years ago when practice day's were slammed on then on Sunday the gates were empty. The 2 stroke guys stayed home. The thumper guys showed up. 5-7 per gate. Since the 2 stroke guys have to race vintage bikes they should be allowed to race double the displacement of the thumpers not half.

I don't give a shit about 2 strokes other than if not for the thumpers the buying public would still participate. The media does not get it. I am done with Racer X because of Weigant's rants and done with Pulpmx because of Matthes bashing.

Start cross marketing with the monster truck crowd, the fmx crowd, rodeo and drag racing crowd, etc since they think this sport is only a entertainment industry. The attendance numbers are there. Market your shit to them not the moto crowd since you don't give a shit about us. See how many monster truck people follow your shit.

It's not a engine design battle it's a participation level battle. Do something about it or alienate and piss off your audience or find a new one. We will and already have started to after this weeks show.
CR250Rider
3/13/2012 10:46pm
Steve, do you know what Roger DeCoster's take is on this whole two stroke debate?
THEY ARE CRITICAL TO THE SPORT

just between you and me I think Rodger knows his shit.
redrider52
3/14/2012 12:17am
How is this shit not made it to the dumbgeon?? Or are we keeping it up to allow everyone to make themselves look like more of an absolute retard.
jamma10
3/14/2012 3:22am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2012 3:23am
Spartacus wrote:
AWESOME!!!!

That a way to go through life, never listen to opposing/conflicting opinions. I feel much better about myself when I don't. You will too.
Isn't that the whole point here?!

The guys making the most noise in this thread are the ones who tuned in especially and didn't end up liking what Renner and Matthes had to say about two strokes in modern professional racing.

I love two strokes, I grew up racing and watching them. I'm also from England where tracks are being shut down left right and centre due to the noise of four strokes. If anything the problem is far, far worse in the UK due to the lack of space, ever increasing population and the growing practice of Nimbysm to go with it. In the UK you can ONLY ride at designated tracks which are kept under constant scrutiny and operating times are limited to strict number of days per year. I also watch the cost of racing escalating, especially the higher up the ladder you go.

Believe me, I know the ins and outs of these issues because it affects me directly, every week. But I get so fed up of these 2stroke threads and the vitriol that is thrown around and often directed at fellow racers and social commentators such as Matthes. Whether we like or not Motocross, like other forms of Motor sport is closely associated with constant advancements in engineering, these manufacturers are building fours strokes which offer a competitive advantage on the track so people continue to buy them. You want to make them listen to the common man, the amateur racer? Stage a demonstration at the next outdoor national.

chuckie108 nailed it with his post.
newmann
3/14/2012 4:24am
What exactly did Renner say that the 2 stroke crowd didn't want to hear? That even at 144cc he was still bringing a knife to a gunfight against double displacement 4 strokes? Doesn.t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.Just goes to further prove how retarded the AMA was in their decision making process. The old guard at the AMA was too busy stealing from their members to realize what harm they were doing to the future of the sport. By the way, any of those guys still in prison?? Double displacement?? Even a true 4 stroke loving moto enthusiast knows that is a flawed approach.
zippy895
3/14/2012 5:06am
i feel bad for r. renner.
i think all he wanted to do is race a 2 stroke at daytona, not get in some 2 vs 4 stroke debate.
why do some posters here feel renner was to start a political 2 stroke revolution of some sorts.
it was a moto show and had a guy who raced a 2 stroke against modern 4 strokes in a pro race on the show.thats it.
be excited guys ,take it in,stop pissing and moning.

Post a reply to: Stewart, Stanton, Renner, Williamson and Weigandt on the Pulpmx Show Tonight!

The Latest