Step seats - who uses them?

KGAspeed
Edited Date/Time 6/12/2012 6:19am
While riding last Sunday, for whatever reason I noticed that I was sliding too much and was focusing a lot on seating positing while doing long climbs and out of corners. The OEM seat is a "gripper-type" material, but still an issue. (for street cred, the bike in subject is a KTM 250 SX).

I've never given much thought to step-seats and for a minute thought they kinda faded out in popularity until I went through some Pit Bits to see what is being used.

Some use bumps, some full steps, others have aggressive seat covers.

What do you use and why?
|
Spartacus
6/6/2012 7:00am
Helped keep me from falling off the back of my bike if I twisted my right wrist to much.

huck
6/6/2012 7:03am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2012 8:39am
I use one...not to keep me on the seat. That's what your knees are for.
Mine isn't NEAR as far back as "657v". I use it so I can judge where I am on the bike. It helps me keep my body forward....
reded
6/6/2012 7:07am
Ain't no step for a stepper....

zlowery
6/6/2012 7:17am

I had this on my 07 250f. Factory Effects TC4 with bump. Best setup I found. Steps are nice because everytime you sit down for a turn, you find the exact same position. That was kinda my reasoning...

The Shop

CnCRacing
6/6/2012 7:34am
I've got a SDG bolt on step seat on the 450. It helps keep me on the front of the bike when I twist it. Wink
Paul333
6/6/2012 7:54am
I've wanted to try one. I can certianly see the advantages of it.

Who sells the best one or can add a step/hump to my stock seat?
rmpilot
6/6/2012 8:33am
I use a step seat, but not on purpose. the seat just sinks that much with me on it.
Spartacus
6/6/2012 8:36am
huck wrote:
I use one...not to keep me on the seat. That's what your knees are for. Mine isn't NEAR as far back as "657v". I use it...
Mine isn't NEAR as far back as "657v". I use it so I can judge where I am on the bike. It helps me keep my body forward....
I'm just throwing out a wild guess that you aren't 6' 9" either. Smile
huck
6/6/2012 8:39am
huck wrote:
I use one...not to keep me on the seat. That's what your knees are for. Mine isn't NEAR as far back as "657v". I use it...
Spartacus wrote:
6' 8.5".... ;-)
KGAspeed
6/6/2012 9:44am
huck wrote:
Thanks for the riding lesson; I use my knees. But I'm talking about long ascents up the side of a mountain with a dozen switchback, ets. 90% of the time I'm standing, but at times I sit for more traction.
wydopen
6/6/2012 9:53am
ive been thinking of cutting the stock foam on the rmz im building...

id like the low part to be slightly lower than stock and the "step" to be stock height..
RNagy052
6/6/2012 10:11am
I have the Factory Effects TC4 bump seat on my 2012 YZ250F. Don't really use it to keep me from sliding backwards, but what I like about it is it seems to move me more forward when going into a corner.
-eagle-
6/6/2012 10:24am
Yeah the rump bumpers, I remember those.
Just like I remember boot gaiters, baggies, finger formed levers, helmet fins and padded levers.

The ribbed seats look legit.
stax199
6/6/2012 1:23pm
first year i have run a bump/step seat.. works on the 450 for turns and accelerating..

gharmon
6/6/2012 2:13pm
huck wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
I'm just curious, are you that tall?
Spartacus
6/6/2012 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2012 2:24pm
huck wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
gharmon wrote:
I'm just curious, are you that tall?
Either I am or this is a rare 3/4 scale Yamaha.

fencepost
6/6/2012 2:32pm
Its funny when i see guys with these steps seats and they're slow. Ive never fallen off the back of my bike, had my arms hurt from acceleration. Ive owned a Service Honda 500 before. I dont understand why guys have them, unless theyre super fast.
Slow450
6/6/2012 2:39pm
fencepost wrote:
Its funny when i see guys with these steps seats and they're slow. Ive never fallen off the back of my bike, had my arms hurt...
Its funny when i see guys with these steps seats and they're slow. Ive never fallen off the back of my bike, had my arms hurt from acceleration. Ive owned a Service Honda 500 before. I dont understand why guys have them, unless theyre super fast.
I don't have one and I'm not fast, but it seems like most of the guys here are saying they use it for consistency in body position for cornering.
Ride154
6/6/2012 2:52pm
I've got one on my 150SX because it had one on when I bought it. It is a good reminder to scoot forward on that seat too!
fmfred
6/6/2012 3:24pm
I hate them, they get in the way when you have to seat bounce a jump out of a corner. Doing a shit load of sit-ups a few times a week works best for staying forward in turns.
6/6/2012 5:08pm
Spartacus wrote:
Either I am or this is a rare 3/4 scale Yamaha. [img]https://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2187/2763304/21631209/366991718.jpg[/img]
Either I am or this is a rare 3/4 scale Yamaha.

And i thought i looked big on a bike for being 6'5. I really struggle when trying to stand up going down rough straights. Do you have any helpful tips that would help?
KGAspeed
6/6/2012 5:40pm
It's funny how this suddenly turned into a riding school seminar of why you don't need one and if you're really fast, you don't need it. Or how you're not doing the right exercises and practicing the right technique. Look through any of GuyB's Pit Bits and it looks like a lot of the top cats use them; I was curious and have been thinking about it. That's all. Last Sunday while doing huge rocky climbs, I sometimes sit to max out traction and stability; hence thinking that a bump would keep me planted and possibly more stable. Just trying different ideas and techniques.

I love it. Everyone is the fastest, more experienced rider ever from behind their keyboard.
6/6/2012 5:53pm
KGAspeed wrote:
It's funny how this suddenly turned into a riding school seminar of why you don't need one and if you're really fast, you don't need it...
It's funny how this suddenly turned into a riding school seminar of why you don't need one and if you're really fast, you don't need it. Or how you're not doing the right exercises and practicing the right technique. Look through any of GuyB's Pit Bits and it looks like a lot of the top cats use them; I was curious and have been thinking about it. That's all. Last Sunday while doing huge rocky climbs, I sometimes sit to max out traction and stability; hence thinking that a bump would keep me planted and possibly more stable. Just trying different ideas and techniques.

I love it. Everyone is the fastest, more experienced rider ever from behind their keyboard.
Im pretty sure im faster than just about everybody on this forum so you need to stfu.
mauidex
6/6/2012 5:58pm
well dude WTF do you expect from an open ended question/concept here?!??!?! everybody knows all the answers to everything.......haven't figured that out yet???

BUT back in the day I spent many many days riding with one of the original bad boys of this sport, buckwheat and his buddies out at bean canyon up the gnarliest hillclimbs ever and did it wiithout bump seats.............

granted on 2 bangers and probably not the torque of the thumpers, but you are riding a 2 stroke so I'd guess body position is more than half the battle..........and you seem like you're not a noob so instead of throwing it out here try to find out opinions from guys that really know what they know..........IMO..........good luck!!
yzmatt
6/6/2012 6:11pm
Your money, your bike, your enjoyment regardless of how fast or slow you are. Screw the know-it-alls. Period.
Paul333
6/6/2012 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2012 6:43pm
fencepost wrote:
Its funny when i see guys with these steps seats and they're slow. Ive never fallen off the back of my bike, had my arms hurt...
Yeah, smart idea to piss on what others like or dislike.
Spartacus
6/6/2012 6:46pm
And i thought i looked big on a bike for being 6'5. I really struggle when trying to stand up going down rough straights. Do you...
And i thought i looked big on a bike for being 6'5. I really struggle when trying to stand up going down rough straights. Do you have any helpful tips that would help?
I run a silly high seat and Fastway pegs in the low position but the biggest help are Rox Speed risers. Not only do they let me use a wider range of different bars they let me rotate the bars forward giving me a ton more room in the 'cockpit'. They also let me assume a more comfortable standing position and not be in that "I'm way to tall" crouch.

Remember though, I'm old and I suck.

Here I am trying to find room for my leg back in the dark ages at Southwick on a 2/3 scale Honda.

6/6/2012 7:06pm
KGAspeed wrote:
While riding last Sunday, for whatever reason I noticed that I was sliding too much and was focusing a lot on seating positing while doing long...
While riding last Sunday, for whatever reason I noticed that I was sliding too much and was focusing a lot on seating positing while doing long climbs and out of corners. The OEM seat is a "gripper-type" material, but still an issue. (for street cred, the bike in subject is a KTM 250 SX).

I've never given much thought to step-seats and for a minute thought they kinda faded out in popularity until I went through some Pit Bits to see what is being used.

What do you use and why?
Ribbed,..... for my pleasure.
KGAspeed
6/6/2012 7:14pm
KGAspeed wrote:
While riding last Sunday, for whatever reason I noticed that I was sliding too much and was focusing a lot on seating positing while doing long...

What do you use and why?
Ribbed,..... for my pleasure.
Which one? Factory Effex has that TC-4 that looks decent....well, the design looks decent; wish it was available in solid black.

Post a reply to: Step seats - who uses them?

The Latest