Stefan Everts hillclimb...

Barrett57
6/18/2011 2:00am
i guess mentioning everts and carmichael in one thread always turns into shit slinging match.

please, grow up.
swaz
6/18/2011 2:52am
[embed] https://youtu.be/FnQhxuvCbWo [/embed] Yup, that's some classy stuff at the end there in the press conference. Right up with calling the American riders cowards in 1999...

Yup, that's some classy stuff at the end there in the press conference. Right up with calling the American riders cowards in 1999.

Everts is a great man, great rider, clearly the event in 06 was all about him before it even before it started, and the Everts fan crew continuing to shit on James Stewart somehow makes it better.
mumhra wrote:
Pause the image at 1.24. Does that look like James who isn't trying ? James rode his fastest lap at the end of the moto. He...
Pause the image at 1.24. Does that look like James who isn't trying ?
James rode his fastest lap at the end of the moto. He tried the entire race long but he could not keep up with Everts.

Look at the images from 1.48 to 1.52. James is all over the track. Everts just follows. It was an easy win for him because James had no answer for him. Like i said before, i have no idea why. Everts looked better then other days, Stewart looked nowhere near as good as normally.

Team USA won in 2006 because they were the only team with 3 good riders. In MX1 Stewart was no match for Everts and in MXopen Ivan Tedesco, who just got back from injury was no match for Steve Ramon. Sadly the 3rd belgian Rider, Kevin Strybos, was not used to the 250 at all and he came up short. The races between Cairoli and Villopoto in the MX2 class were great races.

I'm not throwing shit on James. But he should have been honoust about 2006.
jamma10 wrote:
My memories from 2006... personally I don't recall any hype about it being Everts last ever race, his last ever GP was a bigger deal. The...
My memories from 2006... personally I don't recall any hype about it being Everts last ever race, his last ever GP was a bigger deal. The MXdN was one final flourish but in 2006 it was all about Team USA's dream team of RC, Stewart and new wonder kid Villopoto and more specifically the showdown between Everts & RC which unfortunately never materialised.

After watching both Villopoto and Stewart win their qualifiers on the saturday (Everts had a small crash but finished 2nd) I can honestly admit I was impressed but also concerned at the speed of Stewart in particularly, he was a real threat and I almost conceded that evening that he would be impossible to beat on Sunday.

On Sunday it was a role reversal.

Everts clearly stepped up his game at least one or two notches and rode his usual smooth race while matching the pace of Stewart who crashed at least once, maybe even twice over the two moto's. If you were there you could see the way Everts controlled both those races, and even if Stewart backed it down in the 2nd race he was straight up beaten in the 1st. There is no harm in accepting that, Stewart was the new star of US racing competing outside of America for the first time while Everts was the old guard with years of experience.

The podium at the end of the day was special and Stefan deserved to go out in style after such an incredible career, but I didn't drive away from Matterly that night recalling in my mind how Everts had 'whooped' Stewart, (in fact I didn't drive anywhere for four hours I was stuck in the traffic jam out of the carpark!) I was just buzzing having watched some great racing with the biggest crowd I'd ever seen attend a Motocross event. It was a special day but more has been made of THAT pass and the trophy tap in the press conference in the years since. On the day it was simply two incredible riders going at it.
Agree with the racing, i never seen anything like it and i dont think i ever will again. the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck when i see that video with everts and AC coming through the field. Awesome!

The Shop

mumhra
6/18/2011 7:47am
I remember that in the 3rd race i never thought that Everts would pass Stewart. There were some english fans behind me that said that Everts was going after Stewart and i remember that i said that Everts had no chance of closing that gap and passing Stewart. Guess i was wrong :D

The best riders of that day were Everts, Cairoli and Villopoto. Stewart had a really bad day. If he had only said that at the press conference i would have a lot more respect for him. I remember going to Matterly Basin being a big fan of James and thinking he was going to school everyone. When i went home i was disappointed in James. Not because he lost, or because he had a bad day, but because he could not give Stefan credit for what Stefan did. James showed that day what kind of a person he really is, and i can't be a fan of such a person. No matter how good he is on a bike.

btw... i had no traffic jam going home. I left the track on monday :p
carlosmacho
6/18/2011 8:10am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 8:10am
mumhra wrote:
I remember that in the 3rd race i never thought that Everts would pass Stewart. There were some english fans behind me that said that Everts...
I remember that in the 3rd race i never thought that Everts would pass Stewart. There were some english fans behind me that said that Everts was going after Stewart and i remember that i said that Everts had no chance of closing that gap and passing Stewart. Guess i was wrong :D

The best riders of that day were Everts, Cairoli and Villopoto. Stewart had a really bad day. If he had only said that at the press conference i would have a lot more respect for him. I remember going to Matterly Basin being a big fan of James and thinking he was going to school everyone. When i went home i was disappointed in James. Not because he lost, or because he had a bad day, but because he could not give Stefan credit for what Stefan did. James showed that day what kind of a person he really is, and i can't be a fan of such a person. No matter how good he is on a bike.

I was there too, and the Americans went home winners and I left the track with a BIG smile on my face.
rileymx
6/18/2011 8:18am
mumhra wrote:
I remember that in the 3rd race i never thought that Everts would pass Stewart. There were some english fans behind me that said that Everts...

I was there too, and the Americans went home winners and I left the track with a BIG smile on my face.
thanks to the determination of tim ferry to fight for the result he needed to give the team the win...!!!!!!!!!
and the flat front tyre of boissiere
ST Anmore
6/18/2011 8:44am
mumhra wrote:

rileymx wrote:
thanks to the determination of tim ferry to fight for the result he needed to give the team the win...!!!!!!!!! and the flat front tyre of...
thanks to the determination of tim ferry to fight for the result he needed to give the team the win...!!!!!!!!!
Tim Ferry wasn't even racing that day...
kongols
6/18/2011 8:52am
rileymx wrote:
thanks to the determination of tim ferry to fight for the result he needed to give the team the win...!!!!!!!!! and the flat front tyre of...
ST Anmore wrote:
Tim Ferry wasn't even racing that day...
UPS... This discussion is rad, I mean tits, I mean... Bro !!!
JW381
6/18/2011 9:11am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 9:12am
My memories of 2006 were of pure heartbreak after the 2nd moto at Glen Helen. That race should have been more epic than it was Sad The MXdN's, I mean.
Sunhouse
6/18/2011 9:38am
I was at Matterly Basin and IMHO the fastest man that day was neither Stewart nor Everts, it was Cairoli. I have never seen a human being ride a bike that hard - EVER. With that being said, I have never seen RC ride, which definitely was a let down before the race.
ST Anmore
6/18/2011 9:47am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 9:51am
Sunhouse wrote:
I was at Matterly Basin and IMHO the fastest man that day was neither Stewart nor Everts, it was Cairoli. I have never seen a human...
I was at Matterly Basin and IMHO the fastest man that day was neither Stewart nor Everts, it was Cairoli. I have never seen a human being ride a bike that hard - EVER. With that being said, I have never seen RC ride, which definitely was a let down before the race.
In the last few laps of the day it mattered, Everts set the fastest lap of the whole day with the track at its roughest... which coincidently was over 2 seconds faster than Cairolis fastest from the previous moto!
Sunhouse
6/18/2011 9:52am
Sunhouse wrote:
I was at Matterly Basin and IMHO the fastest man that day was neither Stewart nor Everts, it was Cairoli. I have never seen a human...
ST Anmore wrote:
In the last few laps of the day it mattered, Everts set the fastest lap of the whole day with the track at its roughest... which...
In the last few laps of the day it mattered, Everts set the fastest lap of the whole day with the track at its roughest... which coincidently was over 2 seconds faster than Cairolis fastest from the previous moto!
On a 450 with little traffic ahead of him, except for lapped riders. Cairoli came from behind and had to pass some of the fastest riders in the world, on both 450s and 250s.
JW381
6/18/2011 9:53am
Sunhouse wrote:
ST Anmore wrote:
In the last few laps of the day it mattered, Everts set the fastest lap of the whole day with the track at its roughest... which...
Watching Everts ride is almost boring because it looks like he's going so slow. He's straight up and down over the jumps and he kind of trail rides around. Pure mastery in motion, but not as exciting as the likes of a guy riding hard like Cairoli. Pretty crazy that a guy can be going so fast and not really look it.
Therapy
6/18/2011 9:57am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 9:58am
Not a bubba fan, but if you would have lined up Bubba and Stefan 10 times, bubba would come out on top more than Stefan espically without pressure IMO, and if you think Stefan would have beat RC in 06....... Please and thats no diss on Stefan.
Sunhouse
6/18/2011 9:57am
Sunhouse wrote:
ST Anmore wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Watching Everts ride is almost boring because it looks like he's going so slow. He's straight up and down over the jumps and he kind of...
Watching Everts ride is almost boring because it looks like he's going so slow. He's straight up and down over the jumps and he kind of trail rides around. Pure mastery in motion, but not as exciting as the likes of a guy riding hard like Cairoli. Pretty crazy that a guy can be going so fast and not really look it.
x2
I´ve never really liked watching him ride. His speed was admirable, but his style was pretty boring.
MXMattii
6/18/2011 9:58am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 9:59am
Americans always think they will win easy!! But I saw in Vietnam and Irak how they won...
Please cut the crap!
6/18/2011 10:02am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 10:04am
I was there too that day and as everyone has already said, it was amazing to witness.

What went wrong for Stewart was that it rained in the night between Saturday and Sunday. Had it not and the result might've been different. From then on it wasn't about grabbing handfuls and scrubbing jumps - as much as momentum through the ruts and smooth throttle control in the slick spots. Clearly this favoured Everts.

Case in point, I remember the small double before the big downhill ski jump. The face was straight out a 90 degree corner, in fact they were still leaning whilst accelerating up the face due to the aforementioned corner. Come the 3rd moto and Stefan with his unbelievable throttle control and technique, was still jumping it. Effortless like you wouldn't believe. Then James would come round perhaps a few bike lengths back riding out of skin, slipping and sliding up the face - barely making it or not at all.

Stefan didn't throw out a single scrub that day. He did it all with corner speed.
ST Anmore
6/18/2011 10:09am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2011 10:11am
Sunhouse wrote:
ST Anmore wrote:
Sunhouse wrote:
On a 450 with little traffic ahead of him, except for lapped riders. Cairoli came from behind and had to pass some of the fastest riders...
On a 450 with little traffic ahead of him, except for lapped riders. Cairoli came from behind and had to pass some of the fastest riders in the world, on both 450s and 250s.
Why does it matter if he was on a 450? Someone said Cairoli was the fastest rider that day, when clearly lap times/race times show otherwise! Cairoli might have looked the fastest, and he certainly charged the hardest, but Everts was the fastest rider that day, period!

Post a reply to: Stefan Everts hillclimb...

The Latest