Start to Finish Position Analysis Rounds 1-12

3/28/2010 10:44am
Josh Hill - 3rd in points: Wow, riding injured makes a HUGE difference. Amazingly, throughout the first eight races Hill held onto or improved his position at the end of the first lap in every race. Since then however, he's unfortunately gone backwards in three out of the last four.

Davi Millsaps - 4th in points: Super interesting. Millsaps is actually the only rider in the top eight whose average finish position is actually worse, than his average end of lap one position. In fact, Davi has gone backwards in half the races so far this year. He's also the only other rider besides RV, RD and JS to actually win a 450 main event so far this year.

JW381
3/28/2010 10:59am
Great stuff! This is more of what this sport needs.

I watch SportSCenter a lot, and they have the most amazingly useless stats like: first player to record a 25+ 13+ 12+ triple double under the age of 25 at home in the second week of February. But, they do have a ton of stats and things like this, and while some of it is completely irrelevant, the majority of it makes it very interesting.

Thanks brofessor.
3/28/2010 11:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:43pm
Kevin Windham - 5th in points: K-Dub has the largest dispersion in his individual race difference values. He's had several races where he's really moved forward (Anaheim II, Toronto and Dallas), but then also a couple or races where he's fallen backward quite a bit (San Diego and Atlanta). One thing is for sure though, K-Dub isn't just riding around in the main events where ever he starts in order to collect a paycheck this season, like so many have accused him of in the past.

Justin Brayton - 6th in points: After a bit of a wobbly start, Brayton has been solid so far this season. In fact, since Anaheim II he has been able to hold onto or improve his end of lap one position in every race except for Daytona, where I think he had a crash. It does seem though, that Brayton could improve upon his starts. He's only started as high as 5th in two out the 12 races so far this year.

mcphilly
3/28/2010 11:36am
thanks man .....its interestring when its broken down like that

The Shop

3/28/2010 11:53am
Tedesco - 7th in points: Although IT's finishes have been pretty erratic and inconsistent so far this year, he has generally been a rider moving forward during the main events. In fact, and exactly like Josh Hill, IT held onto and improved his end of lap one positions in every one of the first eight races. Since then however, and again just like Hill, IT has slipped backwards in three out of the last four races. Maybe Ivan has been riding hurt this past month and is one of those riders who likes to hide or not talk about his injuries???

Nick Wey - 8th in points:
Maybe factory bikes really do make a difference. While not day and night dramatic, Wey's overall average finishes did tick up an average of almost three full positions when he was riding Reed's idle bike.

3/28/2010 12:19pm
Okay, last one. Although currently not in the top eight, I couldn't resist and also ran a quick analysis on Trey Canard's brief, but incredibly successful, stint on the Factory Honda 450.

Trey Canard: Like almost every other rider in the top eight in points this season, Trey finishes the races on average in a better position than he comes around in at the end of lap one. What's even more impressive is that with the exception of Indianapolis, his starts have been pretty good too so that means that Trey's passes are coming against some of the bigger, more established names in the sport (i.e. he's not moving from 20th to 12th in the main events).

3/28/2010 12:38pm
ayearinmx,

Dang, sorry man. I didn't know that you were compiling all of these stats already. This is great!

I like how you go all the way down through the pack. Anchors and chargers...that's awesome. -Neil
ayearinmx
3/28/2010 12:42pm
lol no worries.... i was just really surprised anyone else was doing it

yea, i got everyone's overtaking stats from throughout the year... it's a lil boring but i get kinda OCD about it, plus i've got a good system now
txmxer
3/28/2010 12:49pm
that's a pretty cool analysis.

The one that jumps out to me is KW. That guy used to be amazing off the gate. I guess time has caught up with him on the starts. Still super smooth and fun to watch...and fast enough to be a player.
loftyair
3/28/2010 12:51pm
Stats are cool and amusing, but remember, they can be deceiving. Take a person who starts and finishes in the same position, that's a 0 on the difference part, which actually looks bad when it is averaged. So a guy with zero or even negative can be much better than a guy with a +10 in that category. Great work though, thanks!
ayearinmx
3/28/2010 1:06pm
we already know the race results.... and the championship standings... these were just the shed light on the guys on the guys who don't get headlines

eg.... tommy hahn has overtaken 57 riders this year... how much publicity has he received?

stats are just a fun way of looking a bit more in-depth into something..... QB ratings, RBI's, distance covered, 3pt percentage..... what does mx have?......
3/28/2010 1:17pm
loftyair wrote:
Stats are cool and amusing, but remember, they can be deceiving. Take a person who starts and finishes in the same position, that's a 0 on...
Stats are cool and amusing, but remember, they can be deceiving. Take a person who starts and finishes in the same position, that's a 0 on the difference part, which actually looks bad when it is averaged. So a guy with zero or even negative can be much better than a guy with a +10 in that category. Great work though, thanks!
loftyair,

You're absolutely right. I only put this stuff together for fun, and to give us all something to chew on and bicker back and forth over, during these next two weeks.

I think your point about stats being potentially deceiving would be especially apt in the case of a rider like Mike Alessi. Without having done any analysis on his supercross results from last season at all, I'd be willing to bet he has a relatively large and negative difference value between his average end of first lap position and his average overall finish position. Yet, we all know MA is an awesome rider and brings a ton of on-track publicity and exposure to his sponsors in supercross. He just happens to be an amazing starter and I would bet, has the lowest average end of lap one position of any other rider by far.

Thanks for the comments everyone. -Neil

jndmx
3/28/2010 2:36pm
Pretty interesting stuff......I'm sure the teams must take that kind of stuff into account.
txmxer
3/28/2010 2:49pm
I think it's great bench racing fodder.

Pretty much shows that regardless of start, people finish pretty consistently. Wey is a good example. Get's the holeshot and still ends up near 10th. Gets a crappy start and moves forward. Good start and moves backwards.

mudflaps and KW seem to be the most inconsistent. Probably best to do at the end of the season, but you could look at the standard deviation for each rider's finishing position. That might be interesting.

Post a reply to: Start to Finish Position Analysis Rounds 1-12

The Latest