Sprocket bolts Vs Factory ECU

Neek
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 3:12am
Hello,

I've been far from Vital thes elast past months.
I keep reading about sprocket bolts too loose or torqued Woohoo in basically each post, what's the story behind ?

Thank you guys,

PS : I recently got a factory ECU, I should win soon Cool
|
5/23/2017 3:48am
It's pretty simple, Eurobro. See, we had an epidemic of Vital members reporting their rear hubs were exploding. The cause was traced to lack of torque wrench application to the critical sprocket bolts. I believe Peely was the first Vital bro to arrive at the conclusion. He used sound scientific reasoning and plenty of beer and talked it over with Meg.

The ECU situation, well, if you have one as you say, then you know all there is to know. As Big James said, "Can't win without it!"
MX-LIFE.
5/23/2017 3:54am
So do all factory sponsored riders run ECU?
HenryA
5/23/2017 3:57am
Harrybro you seem like a knowledgeable guy and really down with this ECU shit so do you mind answering this question? I have a factory ECU with SX-map(the short one), my buddy says that I will lose up to 2hp with the factory ECU?????? Is it true? Can't show you pics of bike or ECU, sorry.
5/23/2017 4:03am
HenryA wrote:
Harrybro you seem like a knowledgeable guy and really down with this ECU shit so do you mind answering this question? I have a factory ECU...
Harrybro you seem like a knowledgeable guy and really down with this ECU shit so do you mind answering this question? I have a factory ECU with SX-map(the short one), my buddy says that I will lose up to 2hp with the factory ECU?????? Is it true? Can't show you pics of bike or ECU, sorry.
Swedish bro! You're in luck! That's a myth about the factory ECU (short SX map) robbing horsepower. Hopefully though you have removed the FMF exhaust system - because that is a known power sapper. You're chain and sprocket should give you at least 40 hours of trouble free operation without that power robbing pipe on there. Hope that helps. No worries about the pics. Tamir should be along any minute with pics of a similar set up.

The Shop

MR. X
5/23/2017 4:05am
Is it true you can tune a factory ECU to compensate for not properly torqued sprocket bolt? Asking for a freind.
5/23/2017 4:09am
MR. X wrote:
Is it true you can tune a factory ECU to compensate for not properly torqued sprocket bolt? Asking for a freind.
We're going to need peelybro in here to answer that. My knowledge base only goes so far.
rmoto003
5/23/2017 4:44am
Some say the mystery of the sprocket bolts is as old as the internet itself
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
5/23/2017 4:59am
Bros......

You don't need the Factory ECU if you grind off the paint from your exhaust pipe.

Also, don't torque your sprocket bolts on arm day.
5/23/2017 5:09am
MxKing809 wrote:
Bros......

You don't need the Factory ECU if you grind off the paint from your exhaust pipe.

You make some valid points. However, we're going to need peelbro to get to the bottom of these enduring questions of our modern era.
5/23/2017 5:11am
rmoto003 wrote:
Some say the mystery of the sprocket bolts is as old as the internet itself
Dear Alabama bro,

That is truly profound! You just blew my mind!
Turbojez
5/23/2017 5:24am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2017 5:27am
MxKing809 wrote:
Bros......

KingBro, need a little advice here. How to get it sorted if every day is arms day?
ga_pike
5/23/2017 5:27am
Bros... It's all about the factory green ECU. Dont buy anything else!!!
5/23/2017 5:45am
ga_pike wrote:
Bros... It's all about the factory green ECU. Dont buy anything else!!!
Valdosta bro...I thought the powerband was green and the ECU was yellow?
skypig
5/23/2017 5:47am
I just bought a bike off a guy who seemed a bit "shifty", and lacked knowledge generally, but especially about the bikes history. I got it real cheap as he couldn't wheel it around as it was "locked up" (his words). Turns out it was in gear.

One thing he was sure about, was that it was "hot".

When I got it home and washed it, prior to torquing the sprocket bolts, I noticed the plates had faint fade marks. Definitely single digits. (Not sure, could be 1, but maybe 7, or 4)

This got me thinking. I checked the ECU. It's highly polished, and has "J", and "sx" engraved in tiny letters in one corner.

Could it be possible it's a Factory ECU?
5/23/2017 5:50am
I don't know nothin bout all this fancy "sprocket bolts" and "factory ECU" big city talk, but if you add a tooth to your rear sprocket, it's just like kissing a unicorn.
5/23/2017 5:54am
I don't know nothin bout all this fancy "sprocket bolts" and "factory ECU" big city talk, but if you add a tooth to your rear sprocket...
I don't know nothin bout all this fancy "sprocket bolts" and "factory ECU" big city talk, but if you add a tooth to your rear sprocket, it's just like kissing a unicorn.
How do you know?
JRT812
5/23/2017 5:59am
Bro's, loving the ask me anything as long as it pertains to factory ECU's and sprocket bolts! SO much knowledge. Not torquing your sprocket bolts on arm day.... makes total sense and can't believe that is the cause of my over torqued sprocket bolts.
5/23/2017 7:48am
Bump. Gotta keep this up top until peelbro gets here and resolves these profundities.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/23/2017 8:10am
Anyone got a red factory ECU they'd like to sell?
BSFL
5/23/2017 8:22am
Harry Backmon knows more than just sprocket bolts and ecu's...

"Did you know you can grind the paint off your stock exhaust pipe and get a factory look? Be careful though! Go too far and the metal will thin out - causing a wicked ratatattat sound when you hit the powerbands."
kkawboy14
5/23/2017 8:35am
Don't worry to much about sprocket bolts or you will forget about fork air pressures!
5/23/2017 8:40am
BSFL wrote:
Harry Backmon knows more than just sprocket bolts and ecu's... "Did you know you can grind the paint off your stock exhaust pipe and get a...
Harry Backmon knows more than just sprocket bolts and ecu's...

"Did you know you can grind the paint off your stock exhaust pipe and get a factory look? Be careful though! Go too far and the metal will thin out - causing a wicked ratatattat sound when you hit the powerbands."
Dallas-based-bro! Ya caught me man. Yeah, I will fess up to that. That and sag setting, chain slacking, steering stem greasing and blown out head gaskets.
5/23/2017 8:50am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Don't worry to much about sprocket bolts or you will forget about fork air pressures!
Kawbro...

Fork air pressure is important. Too much and a blowed out seal is the result. Too little, and the harsh "CLANK" of forks bottoming will be your reward.

That said, there's nothing so important as sprocket bolt torqueing. Throw a massive whip on an 80 foot table, blip the throttle in mid-flight and hear the death-rattle of sprocket bolts flying everywhere. The next sound is your chain burying itself in your left case half. Then...THE LANDING.

You're locked up, bro! You hit, bounce, come to an immediate stop and are thrown over the bars. As you slowly get up, you look back at your rear hub and see that it has been blown to pieces. Your groggy eyes move forward up the swingarm and you see the left case shattered with a chain hanging out of it. Oil dripping everywhere. Countershaft sprocket looking like a wheel off a clown car. Disaster bro.

All because proper torque wrench application was not administered to the critical sprocket bolts.
RonJon
5/23/2017 8:51am
Ya'll got it all wrong. You can't win without a powerband in your bike.
JM485
5/23/2017 9:03am
Well, from an engineering perspective there are major issues that can arise from the potential loose sprocket bolt. Your rear sprocket relies on the shear force being equally distributed amongst said sprocket bolts, and just a fraction under torquing (did you skip arm day this week?) can lead to a stress concentration of significant proportions. Without equal stress distribution, a shear stress will be felt by the sprocket in the principal axis where it is not designed to be, the only possible result being catastrophic failure and your mechanical aptitude being called into question by your peers. If you're lucky, the sprocket will last through a few cyclical loading cycles, but just can't avoid the inevitable, there will be carnage and it will be bad.

Now, factory ECUs, that's just a whole nother subject that is beyond the scope of this forum post, I'd recommend consulting an expert in the field in person and conducting a thorough review of all relevant reading materials pertaining to the subject.

Hope this helps bro, now I'm off to study while still getting ripped and tan, the bro life just never stops bro.
rmoto003
5/23/2017 9:12am
I think we've all got it wrong here.

The real story is the sprocket ECU and the factory bolts. Anything else is just a distraction
kkawboy14
5/23/2017 9:14am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Kawbro... Fork air pressure is important. Too much and a blowed out seal is the result. Too little, and the harsh "CLANK" of forks bottoming will...
Kawbro...

Fork air pressure is important. Too much and a blowed out seal is the result. Too little, and the harsh "CLANK" of forks bottoming will be your reward.

That said, there's nothing so important as sprocket bolt torqueing. Throw a massive whip on an 80 foot table, blip the throttle in mid-flight and hear the death-rattle of sprocket bolts flying everywhere. The next sound is your chain burying itself in your left case half. Then...THE LANDING.

You're locked up, bro! You hit, bounce, come to an immediate stop and are thrown over the bars. As you slowly get up, you look back at your rear hub and see that it has been blown to pieces. Your groggy eyes move forward up the swingarm and you see the left case shattered with a chain hanging out of it. Oil dripping everywhere. Countershaft sprocket looking like a wheel off a clown car. Disaster bro.

All because proper torque wrench application was not administered to the critical sprocket bolts.
Yeah but if your fork air is to low when that happens.....for sure over the bars! Smile

Post a reply to: Sprocket bolts Vs Factory ECU

The Latest