Spoke with my wallet today

Gabriel J
6/28/2012 9:22am
My wallet is definitely lighter! This is basically my dream bike, and there were some sacrifices made to afford it..But I'm in the best shape in years thanks to bike riding. I look at it as my rolling gym membership. This year I have biked more than ever and it's really paying off in other activities. I'm running faster road race times, and riding moto faster thanks to it!
BuDz34
6/28/2012 9:37am
MT MX wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/28/P1010017_9500.JPG[/img] How do I fend off father time? This is my cabin. I know it's not much, but it's mine. 5 acres. River front property. Completely...

How do I fend off father time?
This is my cabin. I know it's not much, but it's mine. 5 acres. River front property. Completely off the grid.
Sometimes I'll take my WR up and trail ride a bit, but sometimes it's nice to just do things you don't typically get to do. Fishing. Floating. Hiking. Relaxing w/ no cell phones or iPads.

ps. Peelout, this best place in the world I've found to do the 12oz. curls
Ya thats a sweet cabin.. Yours makes mine look like a cardboard box in some brush.. The land is awesome, the cabin is big and your on a river.. I would be doing dual 12oz. curls while doing some serious fishing and enjoying the good life. Plus you have a natural trainer in your back yard.. Hiking some of those little moutains!
kyle450rider
6/28/2012 10:05am

Here is what broke me back in march. I really like it so far. Didn't get the ecoboost but the 5.0 will get up and go. Might be selling her soon though if I take a new job. Anyone interested in a brand new truck with less than 5K on the odometer??
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/28/2012 11:13am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2012 11:14am
peelout wrote:
didn't really speak with my wallet, more like burned a hole in it... but it's my new ride all the same [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/28/2012ford_817976.jpg[/img] 2012 Ford 150 Ecoboost...
didn't really speak with my wallet, more like burned a hole in it...

but it's my new ride all the same

2012 Ford 150 Ecoboost. Lariat, Navigation, all the bells/whistles.

this sucker out performs my 06 150 V8 5.4 in every way possible.

best money i've spent in a long time. also, it's amazing how fast this thing is, and the towing is unreal too.

gonna throw a leveling kit on and some BFG's, maybe some airbags for when i tow.

anyway, felt like this was a bragging thread, so i wanted to do a little Smile

ps... the only working out i do is 12oz. curls
Edjumacate me on the "leveling kit". I've never messed with lift on any of my trucks, but I wish I could bring the front up an inch or so on my current F150 4x4.

The Shop

6/28/2012 11:33am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2012 11:34am
jndmx wrote:
I'm currently looking for a mtn bike to get some miles on and I'd like to find a spin bike for the winter. Right now I...
I'm currently looking for a mtn bike to get some miles on and I'd like to find a spin bike for the winter.

Right now I am doing a lot of this.....

slipdog wrote:
You don't hear much about kayaking as cross training for motocross, but I've considered investing in one. Sac State has an aquatic center on Lake Natoma...
You don't hear much about kayaking as cross training for motocross, but I've considered investing in one. Sac State has an aquatic center on Lake Natoma about 5-10 min from my house and you can rent a pretty nice one for a couple bucks a day. I cant believe how much it works the upper body/shoulders.

I would think if you could do 30 min of pretty intense kayaking then arm pump would never be an issue on a bike
Flat water paddling a kayak will help, but no way will it get rid of arm pump, not even close to the same workout. Get a little play boat, find a wave and take up play boating, once you get a roll and learn to read the water a bit you will get a workout. Hard on the shoulders though, but find a good wave and you will have so much fun you'll wonder where day went. Flat water is boring as heck.

slipdog
6/28/2012 11:54am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2012 11:55am
Flat water paddling a kayak will help, but no way will it get rid of arm pump, not even close to the same workout. Get a...
Flat water paddling a kayak will help, but no way will it get rid of arm pump, not even close to the same workout. Get a little play boat, find a wave and take up play boating, once you get a roll and learn to read the water a bit you will get a workout. Hard on the shoulders though, but find a good wave and you will have so much fun you'll wonder where day went. Flat water is boring as heck.

What exactly is a "play boat", looks like a short freestyle type kayak? I think there is nov, int and exp white water within 30-45 min of me also. That looks interesting...
peelout
6/28/2012 12:51pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Edjumacate me on the "leveling kit". I've never messed with lift on any of my trucks, but I wish I could bring the front up an...
Edjumacate me on the "leveling kit". I've never messed with lift on any of my trucks, but I wish I could bring the front up an inch or so on my current F150 4x4.
pretty simple really, definitely enhances the look.

my truck looks good, but everyone gives me shit for buying a grandpa truck.

here's a link you can check out, there are different brands out there

Tuff Country Level Kit
dr516
6/28/2012 12:55pm
ocscottie wrote:
Here is mine :laugh: [img]https://4add.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/redbullbad.jpg[/img]
Here is mine Laughing

Make those bud light cans and I’m in.
newmann
6/28/2012 1:04pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Edjumacate me on the "leveling kit". I've never messed with lift on any of my trucks, but I wish I could bring the front up an...
peelout wrote:
pretty simple really, definitely enhances the look. my truck looks good, but everyone gives me shit for buying a grandpa truck. here's a link you can...

Tuff Country Level Kit
Only thing you need to consider on the front leveling kits is that on some vehicles the front end alignment will need to be reset as it does change the angle of the control arms slightly when installed. You may also find that the alignment adjustment will be at it's "limits" of adjustment. Ran into that situation on a customers Chevrolet 2500 4x4 a while back. Just something to keep in mind while shopping.
tp4
6/28/2012 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2012 1:07pm
MT MX wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/28/P1010017_9500.JPG[/img] How do I fend off father time? This is my cabin. I know it's not much, but it's mine. 5 acres. River front property. Completely...

This is my cabin. I know it's not much, but it's mine. 5 acres. River front property. Completely off the grid.
Sometimes I'll take my WR up and trail ride a bit, but sometimes it's nice to just do things you don't typically get to do. Fishing. Floating. Hiking. Relaxing w/ no cell phones or iPads.

oh man ..it don't get any better than that period...I would take that the rest of my life.
just awesome thanks for sharing.
mjw612
6/28/2012 2:10pm
peelout wrote:
didn't really speak with my wallet, more like burned a hole in it... but it's my new ride all the same [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/28/2012ford_817976.jpg[/img] 2012 Ford 150 Ecoboost...

best money i've spent in a long time. also, it's amazing how fast this thing is, and the towing is unreal too.

gonna throw a leveling kit on and some BFG's, maybe some airbags for when i tow.

Good looking truck for sure!
TX_187
6/28/2012 2:31pm
Gabriel J wrote:
Funny, when I saw the thread and the OP's photo I couldn't help but thinking of posting my bike..it's my "two-stroke"..upstroke and downstroke..I voted with my...
Funny, when I saw the thread and the OP's photo I couldn't help but thinking of posting my bike..it's my "two-stroke"..upstroke and downstroke..I voted with my wallet last month:

slipdog wrote:
Man that makes me feel like I'm looking at full on FIM works bikes. Your wallet must be feeling a bit light this month, but well...
Man that makes me feel like I'm looking at full on FIM works bikes. Your wallet must be feeling a bit light this month, but well worth it!
Both sweet rides. My wallets a little light this month too.

Gabriel J
6/28/2012 6:19pm
Those are two nice looking Specialized bikes..I had an Epic for the last couple years, fell in love with the Tallboy on a demo and it was Santa Cruz for me.
Faceaz
6/28/2012 7:47pm
newmann wrote:
My youngest son (17) swims three hours a day and has swim meets damn near every weekend. He's 135 lbs. of nothing but ripped. Me? I've...
My youngest son (17) swims three hours a day and has swim meets damn near every weekend. He's 135 lbs. of nothing but ripped.

Me? I've chosen the old fat and decrepid mode for the last five or six years. Shit's getting old though, something's gotta give. Got a road bike, got dirt bikes, got a Concept two, an elliptical, treadmill, spin bike, an unfinished workout area in the mancave.....everything except an excuse! Too much work. Finally getting a bit of a break from the killer workload and finding it difficult to get motivated to get back at it and into shape.
Smile

I was a college swimmer, even had olympic trails times - too bad on an off year. 12,000 calories a day, 10 miles of swimming per day, 4% body fat & couldn't possibly get over 165 lbs... Man did my weight explode the day I finished. Very hard to go from eating every thing you possibly can, to wattching your diet.

The upside, I could ride moto as hard as I wanted for as long as I wanted & never even get winded.
Faceaz
6/28/2012 7:50pm
hellion wrote:
guyb, what's up your chain being crossed? Your deraileur is stretched near the breaking point. I have to yell at my wife for that all the...
guyb, what's up your chain being crossed? Your deraileur is stretched near the breaking point. I have to yell at my wife for that all the time.
If that gets you yelling at your wife, you need to find something to help you chill out.
MXD
6/28/2012 9:03pm
peelout wrote:

Be careful with the tires and leveling kit, your fuel mileage will fall off a cliff. If you don't care and decide to do it anyway, make sure you disconnect your battery for 45 minutes before doing anything to the front end as you risk messing up the EPS if the you disconnect it with power to it.

I have a 2012 Platinum with the Ecoboost. It's is the nicest truck I've ever been in. I can pull my trailer like its not even there and I get 22+ mpg on the freeway when I'm cruising at 65 (with no load).

Also, check out the SCT tuner. They picked up 50+ hp and almost 100 foot pounds of torque with just a tune.
kyle450rider
6/29/2012 6:29am
The Computer Tunes that people like to put on these trucks can void your warranty. Just a heads up.
MXD
6/29/2012 7:31am
The Computer Tunes that people like to put on these trucks can void your warranty. Just a heads up.
Legally, they can't void your warranty but they can certainly cause you a lot of trouble if your dealer wants to push the issue. The magnuson-moss act offers protection against a blanket voiding of your warranty based on modifications. The manufacturer has to prove that the component you changed caused the failure.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/29/2012 8:22am
GrapeApe wrote:
peelout wrote:
pretty simple really, definitely enhances the look. my truck looks good, but everyone gives me shit for buying a grandpa truck. here's a link you can...

Tuff Country Level Kit
newmann wrote:
Only thing you need to consider on the front leveling kits is that on some vehicles the front end alignment will need to be reset as...
Only thing you need to consider on the front leveling kits is that on some vehicles the front end alignment will need to be reset as it does change the angle of the control arms slightly when installed. You may also find that the alignment adjustment will be at it's "limits" of adjustment. Ran into that situation on a customers Chevrolet 2500 4x4 a while back. Just something to keep in mind while shopping.
Thanks, gents!

MXD, what causes the decrease in gas mileage with the leveling kit? Aerodynamics? As much highway driving as I do I will take the gas mileage over the looks.
MXD
6/29/2012 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2012 1:11pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Thanks, gents! MXD, what causes the decrease in gas mileage with the leveling kit? Aerodynamics? As much highway driving as I do I will take the...
Thanks, gents!

MXD, what causes the decrease in gas mileage with the leveling kit? Aerodynamics? As much highway driving as I do I will take the gas mileage over the looks.
I don't think the leveling kit alone will do much to make it suffer but usually people do the kit in conjunction with larger tires. I have seen guys go from 31's to 33's with a leveling kit and lose 3 MPG on the highway. The problem is more exaggerated in the Ecoboost because if you can keep it out of the boost it sips fuel. Larger tires = more boost to keep it rolling which in turn = much more fuel. More so than a N/A motor.
peelout
6/29/2012 1:27pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Thanks, gents! MXD, what causes the decrease in gas mileage with the leveling kit? Aerodynamics? As much highway driving as I do I will take the...
Thanks, gents!

MXD wrote:
I don't think the leveling kit alone will do much to make it suffer but usually people do the kit in conjunction with larger tires. I...
I don't think the leveling kit alone will do much to make it suffer but usually people do the kit in conjunction with larger tires. I have seen guys go from 31's to 33's with a leveling kit and lose 3 MPG on the highway. The problem is more exaggerated in the Ecoboost because if you can keep it out of the boost it sips fuel. Larger tires = more boost to keep it rolling which in turn = much more fuel. More so than a N/A motor.
what tuner do you think is best if i don't do the AFE stage 2 intake?

i was going to order the AFE intake but saw there are a lot of production backorders, i would like to do a tuner but don't even know where to start.

thanks
MXD
6/29/2012 1:39pm
peelout wrote:
what tuner do you think is best if i don't do the AFE stage 2 intake? i was going to order the AFE intake but saw...
what tuner do you think is best if i don't do the AFE stage 2 intake?

i was going to order the AFE intake but saw there are a lot of production backorders, i would like to do a tuner but don't even know where to start.

thanks
The thing about tuners is that there are only so many on the market but there are dozens of shops that do custom tunes. Each shop will write a tune that is compatible with a specific tuner. Right now, the most versatile tuner is the SCT. The SCT is used by quite a few custom tune shops like 5 Star or Innovative Diesel. The quandary at the moment is that the shop with the best reputation for custom tunes, Livernois, uses an inferior programmer called the MyCal. Either way, every tuner will come with a canned performance tune for 87, 91 and 93 octane. Once you own the tuner you can purchase even more custom tunes from programmers who used your same device for things like economy or towing.

Even though Livernois is the leader, I would still go with the SCT and a shop like 5 Star. Some would argue they are just as good or better. If all else is equal, they use a superior programmer.

Whatever you do, stay away from Superchips and Bullydog. I have heard nothing but horror stories about both.
Braaap14
6/29/2012 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2012 1:56pm
peelout wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
Billstein has a great leveling kit available, there are several other good ones on the market.

basically at small increments of lift you dont need to change anything besides the coil spring and shocks ( often just the coil springs )

Leveling kits can be a taller spring, or a spring spacer designed to increase the ride height of a vehicle.

on these trucks a leveling kit will allow you to run up to 35x12.50 sized tires without rubbing or clearance issues.

you don't need to change anything besides adding the kit at these short heights, it's at 4" and taller when you need to change suspension and drive-line parts to readjust for the increased angles from lift!

re-align to in spec and happy travels. larger tires, especially mud terrains will hurt your fuel economy but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. you can always re gear or even lock your differentials if you are looking to regain that milage / " power " and further increase off road capabillity
MXD
6/29/2012 3:27pm
Braaap14 wrote:
Billstein has a great leveling kit available, there are several other good ones on the market. basically at small increments of lift you dont need to...
Billstein has a great leveling kit available, there are several other good ones on the market.

basically at small increments of lift you dont need to change anything besides the coil spring and shocks ( often just the coil springs )

Leveling kits can be a taller spring, or a spring spacer designed to increase the ride height of a vehicle.

on these trucks a leveling kit will allow you to run up to 35x12.50 sized tires without rubbing or clearance issues.

you don't need to change anything besides adding the kit at these short heights, it's at 4" and taller when you need to change suspension and drive-line parts to readjust for the increased angles from lift!

re-align to in spec and happy travels. larger tires, especially mud terrains will hurt your fuel economy but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. you can always re gear or even lock your differentials if you are looking to regain that milage / " power " and further increase off road capabillity
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Gearing up does very little for fuel mileage. It will help you regain some of the lost acceleration but because the rpm's are now back to stock, you are still just trying to turn a heavier wheel which will negatively effect fuel mileage. As far locking the differential for increased fuel mileage, that's not even close to true. In fact, a locked up diff is almost impossible to drive on the pavement.
yz450fpilot
6/30/2012 10:41am
MT MX wrote:

MT MX.......I have for the past twenty years, had this dream and vision in my mind of where and how I want to retire. You my friend are living my dream and vision to a "T" right now!!!! I so want what you have. Cabin in the middle of nowhere, river within a stones throw, and the all important 12oz curls. Cheerful

I assume that this property is somewhere in Montana.

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet today

The Latest