Spoke with my wallet

2smoker
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 11:18pm
I actually picked this up last Summer, but finally decided to make thread. I'm really a Honda guy at heart, but I couldn't seem to find any 2015 CR's at the local Honda dealership.

|
BobPA
3/3/2015 3:27pm
sweet ride. minus the ape hangers
endurox
3/3/2015 3:42pm
The sweet sound of a 250 two stroke over the supercross whoops is awesome
jeffro503
3/3/2015 4:03pm
Well....you won't regret it....I'll tell ya that much. Those freakin' bikes rip and weigh about 20lbs less then a damn 450. I have an 06' RM250 that I have gotten to ride a couple times , has shitty suspension....and I fell in love with the damn thing! And it aint near as fast or up to date as that SOB! Have fun!

The Shop

JW381
3/3/2015 4:29pm
Awesome dude. A freshy feels so good!

If I had the cash and wanted to invest in a brand new 2-stroke, I would have a very tough time between the Katoom and the YZ. You'll have to give us a healthy ride report soon.
2smoker
3/3/2015 5:08pm
Thanks for the props guys. I had to upgrade, as my 46 year old body just wasn't up to the task of taking the pounding my 97 CR250 (AKA The Jackhammer) gives it.

I managed to put 20 hours on it before our weather turned to crap.

Some observations:

The engine rips from off idle to WFO. I haven't messed around with the power valve springs/settings yet, as it works so good "out of the box". I do plan on fooling with the power valve some this season.

The suspension soaks up big hits with no harsh bottoming. Coming up a little short or overshooting a jump is no big deal for the most part. Throw it through the whoops and it'll track straight with very little tendency to ever Huck-A-Buck. The only negative (and I don't consider it a big one) is the forks are a little harsh over smaller/square edged bumps. To be fair, I have only turned the clickers a couple notches either way up to this point. This is also an area I want to try to work on getting dialed in when all this white crap melts away.

The brakes are .. Well..awesome!

The hydraulic clutch is the tits. Some say they don't like a hydro clutch because it "lacks feel", but I don't think this way. To each their own I guess.

Overall fit and finish is very good. Even if KTM uses "wood screws" as a friend of mine says. Lol. The graphics are printed on the plastic, and hold up well. I will caution anyone who buys a new KTM... Loc-tite the shit out of all the fasteners. Ask me how I know one should do this.

A couple more random things...

The exhaust is waaay quiet stock. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I did get a KTM powerparts silencer, which is still fairly quiet, but adds a little bark.

I also got a KTM power parts skid plate. A very slick piece that attaches with a Dzus fastener, and is easily removed for cleaning and maintanace.

The air filter can be changed with no tools. Again, very slick.

Overall I really like this bike. I'm an old school two-smoke guy, and am thrilled KTM is committed to two-stroke dirt bike production and development.

Oh, by the way.. I was able to pick this bike up for less than a new YZ250. I have nothing against Yamaha, but this was a no-brainer.

reded
3/3/2015 5:28pm
Got any pics of that skid plate on the bike? I've been wanting a small glide plate but can't find one that doesn't look like it belongs on a four stroke.
2smoker
3/3/2015 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 5:44pm
reded wrote:
Got any pics of that skid plate on the bike? I've been wanting a small glide plate but can't find one that doesn't look like it...
Got any pics of that skid plate on the bike? I've been wanting a small glide plate but can't find one that doesn't look like it belongs on a four stroke.

The skid plate hugs the frame and you almost don't notice it when it's installed.

I put the foam tape on the inside to keep it from sanding off the frame paint.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/3/2015 5:51pm
I have that skidplate as well, it's awesome. Congrats!
2smoker
3/3/2015 5:55pm
Yes it is.

And Thanks Seth!
reded
3/3/2015 6:19pm
Thanks guys, I'll look into that one.
Flex
3/3/2015 6:37pm
What a beauty!!!!

I have a 2013 and love it. BTW What premix you runnin Wink
oshow
3/3/2015 7:34pm
endurox wrote:
The sweet sound of a 250 two stroke over the supercross whoops is awesome
Best sound evaa
kiwifan
3/3/2015 7:39pm
2smoker wrote:
I actually picked this up last Summer, but finally decided to make thread. I'm really a Honda guy at heart, but I couldn't seem to find...
I actually picked this up last Summer, but finally decided to make thread. I'm really a Honda guy at heart, but I couldn't seem to find any 2015 CR's at the local Honda dealership.

nice bike, good on ya...
Drtbykr
3/3/2015 7:51pm
MXA says the YZ is better, as swipes,lol.

I'd take yours any day, and congrat's on the great deal.
3/3/2015 7:52pm
2smoker wrote:
Thanks for the props guys. I had to upgrade, as my 46 year old body just wasn't up to the task of taking the pounding my...
Thanks for the props guys. I had to upgrade, as my 46 year old body just wasn't up to the task of taking the pounding my 97 CR250 (AKA The Jackhammer) gives it.

I managed to put 20 hours on it before our weather turned to crap.

Some observations:

The engine rips from off idle to WFO. I haven't messed around with the power valve springs/settings yet, as it works so good "out of the box". I do plan on fooling with the power valve some this season.

The suspension soaks up big hits with no harsh bottoming. Coming up a little short or overshooting a jump is no big deal for the most part. Throw it through the whoops and it'll track straight with very little tendency to ever Huck-A-Buck. The only negative (and I don't consider it a big one) is the forks are a little harsh over smaller/square edged bumps. To be fair, I have only turned the clickers a couple notches either way up to this point. This is also an area I want to try to work on getting dialed in when all this white crap melts away.

The brakes are .. Well..awesome!

The hydraulic clutch is the tits. Some say they don't like a hydro clutch because it "lacks feel", but I don't think this way. To each their own I guess.

Overall fit and finish is very good. Even if KTM uses "wood screws" as a friend of mine says. Lol. The graphics are printed on the plastic, and hold up well. I will caution anyone who buys a new KTM... Loc-tite the shit out of all the fasteners. Ask me how I know one should do this.

A couple more random things...

The exhaust is waaay quiet stock. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I did get a KTM powerparts silencer, which is still fairly quiet, but adds a little bark.

I also got a KTM power parts skid plate. A very slick piece that attaches with a Dzus fastener, and is easily removed for cleaning and maintanace.

The air filter can be changed with no tools. Again, very slick.

Overall I really like this bike. I'm an old school two-smoke guy, and am thrilled KTM is committed to two-stroke dirt bike production and development.

Oh, by the way.. I was able to pick this bike up for less than a new YZ250. I have nothing against Yamaha, but this was a no-brainer.

welcome to the club bud! I have the 14 Husky but pert near the same bike.
I agree on the motor. The thing RIPS! I came from an 01 RM250 which had a much milder motor.
Suspension was meh for me. blew through the stroke too quickly.
I love the air filter setup!!

I would talk to Digger29 or KTMShane. They have the hot setup tips for these things.

happy Braaping!
logan_140
3/3/2015 8:43pm
Flex wrote:
What a beauty!!!!

Dominator for meWink
2smoker
3/3/2015 9:41pm
Flex wrote:
What a beauty!!!!

I run Motorex2T @ 40:1

2smoker
3/3/2015 9:46pm
Thanks kiwifan, Drtbykr and Craig.

And I'll hit up Digger for some advice. Holy crap do his bikes look sweet!

Post a reply to: Spoke with my wallet

The Latest