Split lane mandatory for lapped riders.......

PFitzG38
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 3:19pm
........make one lane slightly slower. Lapped riders can race each other, leaders can pass at will. Make 2 of them per lap.

Blue Flag = Slow lane the rest of the race. What am I missing???

Problem solved. Constructive idea from a questionable one. If this has already been discussed.....never mind. If not, your welcome.
|
SEE ARE125
2/27/2015 11:38am
What if one guy obeys the blue flag and takes the "lapper lane" and the other lapper doesn't? What are his consequences? Seems overly complicated. I think lappers being a variable add excitement to the race.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/27/2015 11:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 11:43am
Lapping and getting lapped are all part of racing , always has been always will be and no new rules are needed. A blue flag means there is a race going on and you aint in it and that is enough.
2/27/2015 11:44am
PFitzG38 wrote:
........make one lane slightly slower. Lapped riders can race each other, leaders can pass at will. Make 2 of them per lap. Blue Flag = Slow...
........make one lane slightly slower. Lapped riders can race each other, leaders can pass at will. Make 2 of them per lap.

Blue Flag = Slow lane the rest of the race. What am I missing???

Problem solved. Constructive idea from a questionable one. If this has already been discussed.....never mind. If not, your welcome.
so...
a race within a race...
and the slower guys get penalized for bein slow.....

The Shop

Skippie
2/27/2015 11:46am
You're overthinking this. There's only been a handful of times the past few years where lappers have really messed up a race.
2/27/2015 11:47am
How bout just making tracks all slightly wider everywhere?

OH!...You're welcome!
LappedU
2/27/2015 11:57am

OH!...You're welcome!
I agree!
TailSoHard
2/27/2015 11:58am
If you don't want to deal with lappers, don't ride so fast. Duh...
PFitzG38
2/27/2015 12:08pm
I think some of you are right. I AM over thinking this and lappers ARE a part of racing.

The split lane from last week just got me thinking seeing some of the front runners get caught behind slower guys with no where to go.

Split lanes don't work IMHO. One lane will always be faster. I guess they just need to design the tracks a little wider with more passing spots.
40Plus_922mx
2/27/2015 12:12pm
The only way you will ever tackle the "GET THE HECK OUTTA MY WAY" problem in this sport is to ......

1). Regulate horsepower and handling.
This is done in every sport. A baseball player is not allowed to wear shoes that can enable him to run 29mph. A football running back is not allowed to wear spring loaded shoes that allow him to jump 12 feet high over the defensive line in order to score. Just because those players can afford such devices they are regulated for a reason. Supercross has grown to the point now where we really need the best racing possible in order to continue its propulsion into a household name. And it is time to level the playing field. I realize this is not popular in a forum where a lot of the industry resides an their very paychecks depend on certain guys finishing in certain places etc. But it is the truth.

2). Increase payouts for racers to a level where the 20th place finisher in the main can make a great living, and easily support his own racing efforts off of just racing. The money is there. So why not invest back into the sport through the better funding of privateers? How can you expect a guy making millions and afforded with every advantage to compete with a guy who is traveling in a van (down by the river) and eating subway having to rap his way to stardom? There is no competition. That is the point. So we have a huge division in class on the track at the same time. And we wonder why we have lappers?

I realize the top guys have paid their dues. I get that. But if a lapper is a headache for a faster guy how much more is the headache for the privateer dealing with all the advantages top guys get? Doesn't anyone every consider that?

You have to slow down the fast guys and speed up the slow guys. And this is the only way it will happen.
Flame away..
Roostermx58
2/27/2015 12:13pm
How about us woods racers where the trail is only 40 inches wide in some spots? You rev your engine or force them into a mistake.

I think these mx/sx racers have it too good. IMHO
IWreckALot
2/27/2015 12:16pm

OH!...You're welcome!
LappedU wrote:
I agree!
I think the organizers will tell you that real estate is a bit difficult to come by for an additional lane. Adding a little width to the tracks would probably be more doable but they're still really thin.
IWreckALot
2/27/2015 12:17pm
How about us woods racers where the trail is only 40 inches wide in some spots? You rev your engine or force them into a mistake...
How about us woods racers where the trail is only 40 inches wide in some spots? You rev your engine or force them into a mistake.

I think these mx/sx racers have it too good. IMHO
Lol. Yep. Sometimes you have to move people out of the way.
jchek779
2/27/2015 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 12:18pm
I commend the track designers/builders for trying something new. It didn't work out. We'll move on.
The focus shouldn't be on split lanes, but rather multiple racing lines through the same section. Easier said than done, but definitely can be accomplished. The turn before last week's finish line is a great example. MM25 used the inside multiple times to make passes or not follow some of the slower riders as he was coming through the pack in his heat.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/27/2015 12:23pm
Um, no.

I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the split lane last weekend. Make it that way the whole way around? No.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
2/27/2015 12:45pm
I personally think that lappers should have to race on a a separate track in a totally different part of the country.
2/27/2015 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 12:55pm
I doubt it would solve mutch. Heh. Mutch.

The leaders come up on lappers at all different sections of the track, and if they don't get around them instantly it's bad, even if they're held up a second, and they can claim "a lapper screwed me". Only one or even two lanes would help like 1/10 of the time. Maybe if every corner had an inside/ouside option and lappers were always relegated to one or the other...

If you have two difficult rhythms, or one rhythm and a good whoop section, it would do the same thing anyway.
Tbteam
2/27/2015 1:20pm
Once in a while, the only thing that makes a race interesting is the lappers tightening everything back up.
TailSoHard
2/27/2015 1:57pm
GuyB wrote:
Um, no.

I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the split lane last weekend. Make it that way the whole way around? No.
I think he meant that he wanted to keep the same split-lane setup that they had last weekend, but require lapped riders to take the slower of the two lanes, not make the whole track into two lanes...
2/27/2015 2:00pm
how about if they're fast enough to lap you they should be fast enough to pass you again if you hold your line?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/27/2015 3:01pm
The only way you will ever tackle the "GET THE HECK OUTTA MY WAY" problem in this sport is to ...... 1). Regulate horsepower and handling...
The only way you will ever tackle the "GET THE HECK OUTTA MY WAY" problem in this sport is to ......

1). Regulate horsepower and handling.
This is done in every sport. A baseball player is not allowed to wear shoes that can enable him to run 29mph. A football running back is not allowed to wear spring loaded shoes that allow him to jump 12 feet high over the defensive line in order to score. Just because those players can afford such devices they are regulated for a reason. Supercross has grown to the point now where we really need the best racing possible in order to continue its propulsion into a household name. And it is time to level the playing field. I realize this is not popular in a forum where a lot of the industry resides an their very paychecks depend on certain guys finishing in certain places etc. But it is the truth.

2). Increase payouts for racers to a level where the 20th place finisher in the main can make a great living, and easily support his own racing efforts off of just racing. The money is there. So why not invest back into the sport through the better funding of privateers? How can you expect a guy making millions and afforded with every advantage to compete with a guy who is traveling in a van (down by the river) and eating subway having to rap his way to stardom? There is no competition. That is the point. So we have a huge division in class on the track at the same time. And we wonder why we have lappers?

I realize the top guys have paid their dues. I get that. But if a lapper is a headache for a faster guy how much more is the headache for the privateer dealing with all the advantages top guys get? Doesn't anyone every consider that?

You have to slow down the fast guys and speed up the slow guys. And this is the only way it will happen.
Flame away..
So more money to the slower guys will fix it ? not even close. The playing field is level and the fast guys earn the better stuff the slower guys will always be slower and the cream will always rise to the top. If you slow down the fast guys and try to speed up the slower ones they will just get in the way longer and then they will get moved out of the way and everyone will cry that Johnny privateer got punted when he didnt move out of the way.
Gooose
2/27/2015 3:19pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
how about if they're fast enough to lap you they should be fast enough to pass you again if you hold your line?
This, I think if u can't get around someone your lapping than its all on you.

I think the split lane idea is cool, but only if both lanes are equally slow or fast, just another option. Last weekends split lane was definitely slower outside no real reason to be split.

Post a reply to: Split lane mandatory for lapped riders.......

The Latest