Speaking of rules / penalties ...

race
1/26/2017 2:28pm
I think MXA raises a very good point on this -

" AMArulesoffcourse

"This rule is obviously a joke. It is rarely enforced (and almost never enforced against a factory star). Every week we see riders in the Supercross series run wide in the first turn and ride down the access lane for 100 feet before rejoining the race in 10th place, when they left the track in 20th. Nothing is ever done to them by the AMA. At Anaheim 2, two guys ran wide and the second guy sped up and passed the first guy while they were off the track. That is wrong on every count. The idea that as long as the rider doesn’t gain an advantage negates the fact that he made a mistake and couldn’t stay on the track. He shouldn’t be rewarded for making a mistake. Had he tried to stay on the track, he would have lost positions or time. To say that just because he didn’t pass anyone, thus there was no foul, is stupid. Everyone else tried to stay on the racing surface and the offending rider should be penalized for leaving the track boundaries. Not enforcing this rule punishes the riders who stay on stay on the tracks, while rewarding the ones who don’t."

"This rule should be rewritten — and any rider who leaves the boundaries of the racing surface should have to give the spot to the rider behind him or be punished 5 seconds at the end of the race. If the “race director or his designee” determines that the rider wasn’t off the surface in an egregious manner, they could lessen the penalty. But, some penalty comes with every infraction of the track’s boundaries. The AMA has never learned that rules are no good if they are not enforced. And this rule is not enforced."

From http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/mxas-ama-rule-of-the-week-the-rule-breakers-that-the-ama-is-blind-to
|
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
1/26/2017 2:52pm
i dont think there has been any rule that ama enforces, nor are many rules seemingly based in logic
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
1/26/2017 3:19pm
i dont think there has been any rule that ama enforces, nor are many rules seemingly based in logic
Well, we know they (AMA with the outdoor promoter's help) have vehemently enforced displacement rules to the nth degree to eradicate 2-strokes. (I know, old argument. Just sayin)
race
1/26/2017 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2017 3:28pm
Well, like they say, we can see this happening every week. If there's no enforcement then it's almost worth it for a back of the pack rider to just purposefully get pushed out so you not only escape the potential 1st turn carnage ... but grab a bunch of spots at the same time with very little risk.

Not suggesting they start throwing out harsh penalties left and right ... but if it is the same repeat offenders always taking advantage of things maybe they should be warned.

gt80rider
1/26/2017 3:22pm
I am still in favor of riders having to come to a complete stop before reentering the track.

The Shop

Crush
1/26/2017 3:29pm
What about those two dudes who jumped whilst Kenny was down eh?

#sxisrunbymuppets
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/26/2017 3:29pm
So they propose a rule the race director has the option not to enforce if off track "not egregious," to replace a rule they complain allows too much discretion to the race director.

That train of logic is missing some cars and off the rails.
Tracktor
1/26/2017 3:36pm
It looked like at A2(?) they actually had a line at the end of the first rhythm section for anyone who ran wide to come back on..........
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
1/26/2017 4:40pm
I'm a huge Marv fan.... but he should not have clipped in behind 2nd place after his mud bogg. He damn near made up spot and should have lost multiple in that scenerio.
GangGreen
1/26/2017 6:08pm
burn1986 wrote:
Well, we know they (AMA with the outdoor promoter's help) have vehemently enforced displacement rules to the nth degree to eradicate 2-strokes. (I know, old argument...
Well, we know they (AMA with the outdoor promoter's help) have vehemently enforced displacement rules to the nth degree to eradicate 2-strokes. (I know, old argument. Just sayin)
Burn1986, your statement is incorrect. The severely outdated "Double Displacement Rule" is in effect in Professional Racing due entirely to MX Sports. See email from the AMA Director of Racing:

Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:41 AM
To: #####
Subject: RE: Competition Rules for AMA Pro Motocross - Double Displacement ?

Dear AMA Life Member,

Thank you for your email and supporting the AMA. I am responding on behalf of Rob Dingman regarding the issue you are bringing to our attention.

The AMA currently allows 2 strokes and 4 strokes to participate on an equal basis in the displacement classes per the AMA Rulebook. There are occasions where this is not the case per supplemental rules.

Regarding the competition rules for AMA Pro Motocross, this series is being operated by MX Sports under contract from the Daytona Sports Group. The AMA has no oversight of the existing rules or the modification of such rules. I will pass your email on to MX Sports and DMG.

Best Regards,

Bill Cumbow
Director of Racing
American Motorcyclist Association
13515 Yarmouth Drive
Pickerington, OH 43147
bcumbow@ama-cycle.org

Post a reply to: Speaking of rules / penalties ...

The Latest