Southwick news?

Joko
Fantasy
190th
Edited Date/Time 9/15/2014 9:40am
I was at the track a few weeks ago to see if anything was being worked on, and it seems deserted. Is there any timeline to get back to operation this fall? Miss the
place...
|
dedi684
9/5/2014 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2014 3:24pm
Tracks rented to tough mudder or some shit like that for 10 days in sept. Works starting since he just signed the lease. It was all explained on the holeshot radio show.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
9/5/2014 3:41pm
Do they have
A website yet ?
dedi684
9/5/2014 5:13pm
Dunno. The name is now the wick 338 I believe. He also said that the track looked like its been closed for years. Otherwise it sounds like things are moving forward and he hopes to have a gp in 2016. Also dowds building the track and it's going to be reversed back to the correct direction. Trying to get it open for practice this seaso .
dedi684
9/5/2014 5:14pm
Itunes had the radio show free. I went there and listened to the interview.

The Shop

9/5/2014 5:35pm
Dowd talked about it on the Steve Matthes Show recently too. It sounds like it's a no go with the AMA. And it sounds like it's an uphill battle getting things turned around in general. Dowd is helping, they are reversing it, but there are obstacles to getting it off the ground.
9/5/2014 5:41pm
Don't know why everyone cares about it , it's a horrible venue for a race. Go to Broome or unadilla then go to Southwick and tell me it's close to a pro level venue. Been there many times and don't miss it one bit compared to Broome
dedi684
9/5/2014 5:42pm
I always wondered how long they were gonna have an AMA national at a track that doesnt hold AMA races. Fuck the ama.
dedi684
9/5/2014 5:44pm
Don't know why everyone cares about it , it's a horrible venue for a race. Go to Broome or unadilla then go to Southwick and tell...
Don't know why everyone cares about it , it's a horrible venue for a race. Go to Broome or unadilla then go to Southwick and tell me it's close to a pro level venue. Been there many times and don't miss it one bit compared to Broome
Unadilla? Tracks a joke compared to the way it was. Broome was a great facility and track. Sports not about the grass roots anymore.
9/5/2014 6:37pm
Southwick is easy to navigate, doesn't take miles to get around and is a bad ass track. AMA needs a specialty track to break it up. Not a track any gnarlier than the wick.....dilla is badass but takes 4 years to walk around( I don't mind but others do).
munsch121
9/6/2014 5:36am
Southwick is easy to navigate, doesn't take miles to get around and is a bad ass track. AMA needs a specialty track to break it up...
Southwick is easy to navigate, doesn't take miles to get around and is a bad ass track. AMA needs a specialty track to break it up. Not a track any gnarlier than the wick.....dilla is badass but takes 4 years to walk around( I don't mind but others do).
Agreed. What made Southwick so bad ass was the fact there was nothing like it on the schedule. Much like Glen Helen coming back, Southwick always gave the teams and riders something "different". I used to like watching riders in practice and their tire selection, some would use a hardpack tire, others a full on paddle....If not 'wick, something similar that sets it apart from the rest of the schedule.
Spartacus
9/6/2014 5:54am
Back in the day they use to leave the track as it was after 600+ NESC riders had raced on it the weekend before. That's what the pros faced for the first practice! No perfectly groomed dirt highway to start the day.
9/6/2014 5:54am
To put it in a nutshell, to a New England based MX fan, losing Southwick is like losing Carlsbad or Saddleback. Unfortunately, the spectating there was terrible but only because of the geography of the land that the track sits on.
pete24
9/6/2014 6:04am
imo southwick is dead there aint nothing happening there, and my buddy Steve Burdette won the last moto ever at the wick
bultokid
9/6/2014 6:47am
Anyone got pixs of what it looks like now ? Only bad mofo's won the 'Wick
Joko
Fantasy
190th
9/6/2014 11:11am
bultokid wrote:

From 1 month ago:

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/6/2014 11:14am
I think there's some misguided anger in here. AMA? Really?
MX455
9/6/2014 11:22am
bultokid wrote:
Joko wrote:
From 1 month ago: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/06/64482/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/06/64483/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/06/64484/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

From 1 month ago:

I was not a fan of this place the last few years that i raced but it's sad seeing it like this. I hope they can work things out and get it back to it's glory days.

Does anyone know exactly what the hold up is? From what i have heard, the town residents were very supportive to keep the track open so why is there such a delay?
dedi684
9/6/2014 12:24pm
GuyB wrote:
Whats your point? Do you race motocross? I sure do.
9/6/2014 1:01pm
GuyB wrote:
dedi684 wrote:
I think the point is, with regard to Southwick, the AMA has nothing to do with it. It has nothing to do with anything anymore really. This is about the promoters, the Legion and MX Sports finding a way to make it work.

You should never ask GuyB what his point is. I am pretty sure he knows a little bit about motocross.
dedi684
9/6/2014 1:09pm
GuyB wrote:
dedi684 wrote:
I think the point is, with regard to Southwick, the AMA has nothing to do with it. It has nothing to do with anything anymore really...
I think the point is, with regard to Southwick, the AMA has nothing to do with it. It has nothing to do with anything anymore really. This is about the promoters, the Legion and MX Sports finding a way to make it work.

You should never ask GuyB what his point is. I am pretty sure he knows a little bit about motocross.
Yeah everybody is an expert in mx and ive probably forgot more than most will ever know. The ama still blows and is virtually non existant in the northeast. Southwick doesnt need an ama national to survive if it does reopen. Thousands of riders put in thousands of laps at that place for many years in non ama events. We are the root of the sport.
9/6/2014 1:17pm
Well, there might still be local races there if things work out. Hopefully the new lease holder will get it turned around. Congratulations on your vast moto knowledge but you might consider researching who GuyB is.
dedi684
9/6/2014 1:23pm
Well, there might still be local races there if things work out. Hopefully the new lease holder will get it turned around. Congratulations on your vast...
Well, there might still be local races there if things work out. Hopefully the new lease holder will get it turned around. Congratulations on your vast moto knowledge but you might consider researching who GuyB is.
I know who he is and thats my point. I will still be there racing. The ama, mx sports and the previous owners could give 2 shits about the place and it showed. There is still a chance it may return to its once great self if the new owner gets his way.
dedi684
9/6/2014 1:38pm
And to get back on track he said he has permission to run 20 events there between now and next summer sometme. Looks promising but only time will tell.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/6/2014 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2014 1:55pm
dedi684 wrote:
I know who he is and thats my point. I will still be there racing. The ama, mx sports and the previous owners could give 2...
I know who he is and thats my point. I will still be there racing. The ama, mx sports and the previous owners could give 2 shits about the place and it showed. There is still a chance it may return to its once great self if the new owner gets his way.
Yeah, and misguided anger is still misguided. You could blame the last three administrations, and you'd be just as accurate as you were in blaming the AMA. But I'm glad you'll be supporting it if it comes back.

It's a sad fact, but tracks come and go. Over the years I've watched a whole bunch of tracks disappear, including Carlsbad, Saddleback, De Anza, Corona, Indian Dunes, Saddleback II, LACR, Pala, etc. No one is ever happy to see a track go, and there are a variety of reasons why they disappear.
dedi684
9/6/2014 2:04pm
Agreed, ive been in the sport over 30 years and never like seeing any tracks disappear. Fact is most of us local riders were unhappy with the condition of the track and facility for the last decade or so. Maybe its unfixable maybe not.
And there was 1 strange race season, cant remember when, that us nesc racers (non ama) did have to join the ama because the wick was an ama track. My guess would be insurance reasons.
9/6/2014 2:22pm
Southwick is easy to navigate, doesn't take miles to get around and is a bad ass track. AMA needs a specialty track to break it up...
Unadilla made great improvements for fans to access every part of that track. It's easy to get to the screw U and gravity cavity via the tunnel. Southwick was the opposite. Fans were treated with shitty fences, banners that blocked the racing action and restricted tent areas that cut off the ability to walk around the track. Southwick sucked. Broome was a fan's dream and that didn't save it. TV revenue is king.
Huckster
9/6/2014 3:42pm
Unadilla made great improvements for fans to access every part of that track. It's easy to get to the screw U and gravity cavity via the...
Unadilla made great improvements for fans to access every part of that track. It's easy to get to the screw U and gravity cavity via the tunnel. Southwick was the opposite. Fans were treated with shitty fences, banners that blocked the racing action and restricted tent areas that cut off the ability to walk around the track. Southwick sucked. Broome was a fan's dream and that didn't save it. TV revenue is king.
X2. Southwick was much better back in the 90's and early 2000's. The viewing, the track and most certainly the conditions. When they switched directions it was the beginning of the end of what was once an awesome track. They should've kept the frog pond section as well. I went every year for 10+ years but haven't gone in the last 3. It's impossible to see and I refuse to park my ass in the sardine can they call the bleachers.

Joko
Fantasy
190th
9/12/2014 12:07pm
What's up Southwick management team? We're burning beautiful days for riding & racing!
Eddie_E
9/12/2014 3:46pm
The details were on Holeshot radio last week. There is a signed permit for 20 events in the next year. The track has been rented in late Sept.to some old fat people who run around in the mud until they break ankles and have heart attacks. They finish and leave by October 1. MX activities resume after enough grooming is done to make a useable layout. There was talk of a fall practice day, open to the public.

I'm NOT connected to the new promoter in any way.
I'm just watching closely because I'm planning to ride the practice.
9/12/2014 5:01pm
Good to hear about the future plans. No suprise on the tough mudder event. They've had similar events for at least 30 years there. I remember a foot race there once a year, don't remember how long it was but it must have been a bitch.

Post a reply to: Southwick news?

The Latest