Sounds like Dirt Rider Magazine will cease publication...

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 12:27pm
We've been hearing rumors for a few months about the state of Dirt Rider and that they would cease publication in the near future...I thought they would make it another year but it sounds like they will actually cease publication at the end of this year.

Myself and Donn Maeda were pedaling this morning when a bit of "final word" came across...

I guess we'll have to wait for official word...

The seven years I spent working at Cycle News felt like a great job, but when I started at Dirt Rider Magazine in 1997, I felt like I had a career. I learned a lot working with Tom Webb and Ken Faught (even though we bumped heads a lot back then) and that’s where I first worked with @xbrandrt and @pfo200; two of my best friends and current @twmxdotcom test riders today. Though I only worked at DR for a year and a half before launching MXRacer Magazine and then TransWorld MX, I have many fond memories of my time there. This morning I got a text saying that Dirt Rider’s time as a Magazine has ended, and that it’s now web-only. It makes me sad to see the magazine era come to an end for what was once the largest off-road title in the world. Thanks for the memories, DR!

A post shared by Donn Maeda (@swapmoto) on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:14am PST

Another post from Kris Keefer, but I can't embed his IG post so here's a screenshot and the words below...

"Where do I start? There’s not enough space here for me to explain what this magazine meant to me. It’s personally a sad day for me to see the print side of Dirt Rider going away. I didn’t agree with things near the end of my time there, but that doesn’t mean I am not bummed. Over the years it was the employees that made that magazine so great. The company wasn’t the magazine, it was the people putting the magazine together that made it so wonderful to work for. I worked under @kenfaught24 @jimmy_lewis_offroad @chrisdenison @karelkramer and learned a lot from each. Karel gave me my opportunity and I will always be thankful for him getting my foot in the door. My dad subscribed to DR since I was a little tyke and there was always a magazine around the house that I could tear pages out of and hang on my bedroom wall. When I got the chance to work for them it was like a dream come true. Some of the most memorable moments of my life was with Chris Denison, Lindsey Lovell, Joe McKimmy and Sean Klinger. Denison in particular was the best boss/human I have ever been around and when he left, a piece me did as well. That was Dirt Rider to me! That was my second family. I am glad I had a little piece of this magazine’s history and am grateful for the opportunity it has given me over the years."
|
cali11
11/30/2017 8:50am
Growing up dirt rider was my favorite magazine. To be honest I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine.
Spooner
11/30/2017 8:50am
Man that’s crazy but makes the letting go of Keefer make more sense. It’s sad seeing all these moto publications close up shop but so many of them have all the same stuff in them so I can kind of understand why. That’s why I think racer x has persisted because they have much better articles and more in depth stories.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/30/2017 8:54am
Spooner wrote:
Man that’s crazy but makes the letting go of Keefer make more sense. It’s sad seeing all these moto publications close up shop but so many...
Man that’s crazy but makes the letting go of Keefer make more sense. It’s sad seeing all these moto publications close up shop but so many of them have all the same stuff in them so I can kind of understand why. That’s why I think racer x has persisted because they have much better articles and more in depth stories.
They've all dropped off considerably in subscriptions numbers but for instance TWMX and RacerX's online presences are very strong and hold good value.

In the case of DirtBike and MXA, they've shrunk in viewers but still hold strong value in the eyes of their existing readership and the advertisers supporting them...along with being owned by a sole individual instead of a corporation that would slash them during a downturn.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
11/30/2017 8:54am
Dang. Dirt Rider was one of the only dirt bike magazines I read when I was a little kid. Crazy stuff.

The Shop

Joko
Fantasy
190th
11/30/2017 8:59am
Are they only discontinuing the printed version but continuing to put out digital publications?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/30/2017 9:03am
Joko wrote:
Are they only discontinuing the printed version but continuing to put out digital publications?
My understanding is the publication side of the business is going away...so I think that means they will just continue with an online news site, but not like a digital magazine format...BUT I could be wrong on this. We'll have to wait for the official word to see what their future business will look like.
smezmx
11/30/2017 9:07am
Shame.....i used to buy it over here in the 80's (amongst the other's) and still have quite a few copy's in my loft...
I don't buy any mx magazines anymore.......my ipad put paid to that....
11/30/2017 9:11am
Lets save Dirt Rider magazine, ironically thats the only magazine iv’e bought a subscription for.

jeffro503
11/30/2017 9:14am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2017 9:15am
That is kind of a bummer to hear. Who knows though?....Maybe this will end up being a good thing in the future? Get rid of the hard copy / printed mag and re-route those resources into a kick ass online presence. Hope the other employee's there find a home some where in the dirt bike industry or magazine industry of some kind. Always hated hearing stuff like this , especially this time of year.
nc_mx_kid
11/30/2017 9:15am
bummer for Dirt Rider and everyone involved with the pub, kudos to Kris Keefer on leaving before the end and going in the direction of Keeefer INC Testing
Acidreamer
11/30/2017 9:18am
2017 = internet articles. We are seeing magazines and even hard copy albums disappear because of the internet & smartphones.

Sad but that’s the reality
endurox
11/30/2017 9:31am
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't let advertizing dollars effect write ups on bikes. Need more indepth articles on bikes. And who cares if a magazine editor needs to move the clickers. Also weigh the bikes with the same fuel amount(which would be the gas tank with the smallest capacity which is usually a yelllow bike.) People would subscribe to not politically correct magazine.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/80
DL
11/30/2017 9:32am
RIP Dirt Rider.
Rockinar
11/30/2017 9:39am
endurox wrote:
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't...
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't let advertizing dollars effect write ups on bikes. Need more indepth articles on bikes. And who cares if a magazine editor needs to move the clickers. Also weigh the bikes with the same fuel amount(which would be the gas tank with the smallest capacity which is usually a yelllow bike.) People would subscribe to not politically correct magazine.
Advertising dollars are what pay the bills. Hard to attract advertisers if you are trashing everyone.
MelonFan123
11/30/2017 9:42am
thats a real bummer, although not too surprising. I was shocked at how quickly that magazine has deteriorated. In the last 1-2 years i got REAL thin (and only printed 10x per year).

You can blame the landscape and economy but i think some bad management was certainly a big part of that magazine's downfall. Several other magazine titles have been able to not only service but flourish in the last few years. Ever since Denison left DR it seemed to not have any identity or personality. As a long time subscriber i'm certainly bummed on the news
11/30/2017 9:47am
This Sucks! That has been my favorite Magazine for many years, but you could see it sliding down hill with the start of the super fine print. They were the only Magazine that had dyno charts back in the 80’s. This is a sad day!
11/30/2017 9:47am
I haven't bought a magazine since like 2005 i get my info from these types of sites.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/30/2017 9:49am
endurox wrote:
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't...
We post our personal weighed dry and wet weights. To get your number, simply take the smallest fuel tank size, multiply that number by 6.3 pounds, then add that number to every dry weight. We also go through the effort of publishing the weight bias front to rear on dry and wet weights.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
11/30/2017 10:02am
Do they just expect me to stop shitting?
Rhino
11/30/2017 10:38am
What happens to the subscription fees when this happens?
hellion
11/30/2017 10:53am
I'm a magazine addict. I've got nearly every issue of MXA and Dirt Bike, and I do have every Racer X and the old MXRacer. Up until they let Denison and Keefer go, I had every issue of Dirt Rider too. But with their dismissal, and the decision to go to ten issues a year I finally pulled the plug. This news is sad though, I'd hoped they'd rebound and rebuild the way Dirt Bike did when they brought Tom Webb back. As much as I hate to say it, print media is likely going away as we all get so much information here and other places on the web. RIP Dirt Rider

ps, I hope Karel Kramer finds a new home, he's a good dude, and even let me borrow one of his XR600's many years ago to go riding in the hills of CA with Jerry Bernardo
11/30/2017 11:22am
Acidreamer wrote:
2017 = internet articles. We are seeing magazines and even hard copy albums disappear because of the internet & smartphones.

Sad but that’s the reality
Are you living under a rock all these moto media outlets post articles online and I read them all the time. Dirt rider did that as well. Dirt rider wasnt as inclined to motocross and more offroad and the magazines didn’t feature as much so that might be why they stopped.
Indymxer
11/30/2017 1:38pm
disbanded wrote:
That's what the smart phone is for...
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
11/30/2017 1:42pm
disbanded wrote:
Indymxer wrote:
When your dog shits in your shoe, good luck smacking him on the ass with your smart phone . . .
Xeno
11/30/2017 1:45pm
Sad but not surprised
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
11/30/2017 1:55pm
disbanded wrote:
Indymxer wrote:
It's just not the same.Sad

American moto magazines have't been available around here for quite a while.
toomanykaws
11/30/2017 2:13pm
I don't see MXA on many newsstands anymore. Just Dirt Bike, Racer X and Transworld. Dirt Rider has been so thin I thought have the magazine was missing. Have seen this with the car magazines over the past five years. Some disappeared with no notice. All a sudden the last issue was the last issue.

When Borders book store closed. Some of the comments I heard from people. They could care less about anything in print. Its all click click tap and thumbwheel scroll on their device all day.
I still look at the racks in Barnes and Noble. Guess that's a habit being old. The younger people don't have that.
GIwasB4
11/30/2017 2:16pm
That sucks. Think of all the tree's it save though. Dry
11/30/2017 2:49pm
I read everything moto related online... the only magazine I have a subscription for is TWMX and that’s only for the chick posters to hang in my garage.

Post a reply to: Sounds like Dirt Rider Magazine will cease publication...

The Latest