Something to think about regarding purses

WideOpen
6/20/2010 12:15pm
WideOpen wrote:
You are talking to hear yourself talk.RC is making big money from his sponsors to race. The privateer that finished 15th at the Outdoor National was...
You are talking to hear yourself talk.

RC is making big money from his sponsors to race. The privateer that finished 15th at the Outdoor National was negative money for the week and can't afford to eat P&J sandwiches.

DC needs to follow his own great idea from 2 yrs ago when he said he was working on waving the entry fees.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE MX SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!! You are driving bus now.

Wave the Entry Fees DC!!!

GuyB wrote:
IF YOU'RE GOING TO GO ALL !!!!!! trying to make a point, at least learn to spell waive correctly.
You ain't kidding GuyB. My spelling in brutal today. LOL

I misspelled here/hear also.
scooter5002
6/20/2010 1:21pm
GuyB I'm not even into Nascar and I'm envious you got to go into the race shop. For a guy that's into all things mechanical like me that would be a dream visit. BTW, did someone's cat piss in their cornflakes this morning? Cuz someone's drivin the "bitter bus" with the hammer down and it's contagious. Wow. Lol. Don't forget to signal guys. It's the polite thing to do.
jdj727
6/20/2010 1:22pm
Gas at a cup,nationwide,and truck race is free to the teams....thats there deal with nascar.....

Tires $400 each trucks I believe get 3 or 4 sets total for the weekend.

Entry is around $1500....

most motor builders will charge you to rebuid after 20 laps I know toyota does but these motors have seals and have to run I believe 3 races before rebuild... toyota charges $100,000 for this rebuild in cup...trucks and nationwide have to run more then 1 race per motor, cup is different

so you really cant compare the 2 but if they were to start and park in cup they would make around 50 to 60 g's a race unless at Daytona they would make around $200,000.

So you can not tear stuff up and finish decent you will just squeek by with breaking even on the cash.....

olds cool
6/20/2010 5:52pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are going to compare a NCWTS purse payout for 15th position to AMA MX purse for 15th, would it not be relevant to know the total purse paid out for the given event as a percentage of the gate for the truck race vs the purse as a percentage of the gate for the mx race? I know they (truck teams) get TV money too, so take that out of the equation. If we're going to compare apples to oranges let's make it as fair as possible.

The Shop

500guy
6/20/2010 6:53pm
calimxer91 wrote:
I can see Bears in the distance.
Spinner wrote:
[img]https://www.bear.org/website/images/stories/images/images-new/large_brown_bear.jpg[/img]
That's a dandy of a bear
jasonward73
6/20/2010 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:29pm
I think the real difference here is.....

How much out of pocket is the driver that finishes 15th at ANY NASCAR event?

vs.

How much out of pocket is the rider that finishes 15th at a MX race?

The point is the cost of going racing at NASCAR is not relevant because the driver doesn't foot the bill for the fuel, tires, 18-wheeler, mechanics, travel, etc... Whether it costs $100 million dollars a weekend to go race or $100,000, the team owner pays those bills and pays the driver a salary. It's irrelevant.

On the other hand, a rider finishing 15th at a MX race could very well have paid his entry fee, the fuel to get there, the bike, the tires, his mechanic, etc..... Therefore, the cost to go racing IS relevant in MX.

It's apples and oranges. You should compare what the purse is for someone finishing 15th at the National dirt racing midget series. That is closer to what MX is.

Jason
flarider
6/20/2010 7:11pm
Jason, you know as well as I that there are self-owned teams, especially in Camping World Truck series.

Brad Keselowski is one example
Jennifer Jo Cobb is another
As is Ken Schrader and Mike Harmon
6/20/2010 7:27pm
flarider wrote:
Jason, you know as well as I that there are self-owned teams, especially in Camping World Truck series. Brad Keselowski is one example Jennifer Jo Cobb...
Jason, you know as well as I that there are self-owned teams, especially in Camping World Truck series.

Brad Keselowski is one example
Jennifer Jo Cobb is another
As is Ken Schrader and Mike Harmon
You never did address my numbers. If it costs $100K per race for the truck series and you think the purse is equivalent (20 times less for MX) then you are saying that it costs about $5K per race for MX?
jasonward73
6/20/2010 7:29pm
Brad Keselowski 2 starts (Listed as racing for Kevin Harvick)
Avg finish = 23rd Winnings = $15,075

Jennifer Jo Cobb 9 starts
Avg finish = 23rd Winnings $93,770

Ken Schrader 3 starts
Avg Finish = 14 Winnings $37,325

Mike Harmon 6 starts (listed as racing for Darrell Abbott Ride for Dime | Lafferty Motorsports)
Avg finish = 34.5 Winnings $50, 864

Not sure if this supports the argument or squashes it.

Jason

Jason

flarider
6/20/2010 7:39pm
You never did address my numbers. If it costs $100K per race for the truck series and you think the purse is equivalent (20 times less...
You never did address my numbers. If it costs $100K per race for the truck series and you think the purse is equivalent (20 times less for MX) then you are saying that it costs about $5K per race for MX?
I never said any such thing, why I never addressed it

Point is simple, and I can't be any clearer, people were arguing risk/cost vs reward and I was showing that RC finished 15th last week and his purse winnings was only $11,675
6/20/2010 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:29pm
You never did address my numbers. If it costs $100K per race for the truck series and you think the purse is equivalent (20 times less...
flarider wrote:
I never said any such thing, why I never addressed it Point is simple, and I can't be any clearer, people were arguing risk/cost vs reward...
I never said any such thing, why I never addressed it

Point is simple, and I can't be any clearer, people were arguing risk/cost vs reward and I was showing that RC finished 15th last week and his purse winnings was only $11,675
HUH? Was it not you in your first post that said this:

In last weekend's NASCAR Truck race, Ricky Carmichael won a purse of $11,675 for finishing 15th place Now that's a bit more than $650, but once you consider the differences in costs between fielding a NASCAR Camping World Truck series race (entry fees, team travel, tires, gas, etc....) Seems by percentage, the MX rider earned more for his 15th than RC did for his

So what exactly was your point with that last sentence?
flarider
6/20/2010 7:47pm
It was figurative, not literal

6/20/2010 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2010 8:05pm
flarider wrote:
It was figurative, not literal

Right. Sure thing. Got it. So your other posts in this thread were also figurative? Like the one from Bleacher Report.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/20/2010 8:07pm
Panic Revver, and we get it. You're being contrary to be contrary. And that's way overrated. Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/20/2010 8:09pm
calimxer91 wrote:
I can see Bears in the distance.
Spinner wrote:
[img]https://www.bear.org/website/images/stories/images/images-new/large_brown_bear.jpg[/img]
And they can see you...
6/20/2010 8:11pm
GuyB wrote:
Panic Revver, and we get it. You're being contrary to be contrary. And that's way overrated. Smile
All he has to do is admit he fucked up and its all good but his ego won't let him do it.
flarider
6/20/2010 8:21pm
I didn't fuck up anything

I I never claimed to be a NASCAR insider and/or know all of the costs associated with racing in the Craftsman Truck Series, I only know it's more than a privateer in MX

I quoted from Bleacher Report because people wanted numbers (including you), which I provided. My estimates were not far off either, as shown by the post from jdj727.

As GuyB said, you're just being contrary to be contrary

I never claimed to be a NASCAR expert or insider. People were arguing risk/cost vs reward and I was showing that RC finished 15th last week and his purse winnings was only $11,675

Period.
Don't like that? Tough shit.

Sorry I didn't break out a calculator to figure out all the percentages in order to be spot on accurate because some douche would take everything so literal.
6/20/2010 8:27pm
flarider wrote:
I didn't fuck up anything I I never claimed to be a NASCAR insider and/or know all of the costs associated with racing in the Craftsman...
I didn't fuck up anything

I I never claimed to be a NASCAR insider and/or know all of the costs associated with racing in the Craftsman Truck Series, I only know it's more than a privateer in MX

I quoted from Bleacher Report because people wanted numbers (including you), which I provided. My estimates were not far off either, as shown by the post from jdj727.

As GuyB said, you're just being contrary to be contrary

I never claimed to be a NASCAR expert or insider. People were arguing risk/cost vs reward and I was showing that RC finished 15th last week and his purse winnings was only $11,675

Period.
Don't like that? Tough shit.

Sorry I didn't break out a calculator to figure out all the percentages in order to be spot on accurate because some douche would take everything so literal.
Whatever. Go back and read your first post. WTF were you trying to say then? You don't need a calculator. I did the math for you. All you need to do is be able to read and comprehend.

You posted horseshit and I called you on it. End of story. I'm out.
Nikhil
6/20/2010 8:31pm
how did the whole bear thing get started in the first place?
plowboy
6/20/2010 8:33pm
Nik...I'll tell the 1st lie...someone posted, "if a bear shit in the woods and no one was there to smell it...would it still stink"?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/20/2010 8:41pm
Higher initial cost on equipment, more expensive to fix. I'm not sure what sound RC's truck made when it hit the wall in TX, but I'm sure it was very expensive-sounding.

I get Dave's premise. Who freaking cares about the actual numbers? It's not like any of us are going truck racing next weekend.

At the NASCAR Hall of Fame, they had original checks from the first season's points fun ('47 or '48). If I remember correctly, some were as low as $15...and as high as $150. Obviously they've come a long way, and we've got something to aspire to.

I just wonder that if motocross and Supercross ever got that big, would all the first generation fans think that the sport wasn't core enough for them anymore? Some fans say they want the sport to grow, but do they want everything that comes along with it, like the feeling that they're not part of a small brotherhood?
jmar
6/20/2010 8:54pm
The sport has progressed past purse money.

super rat
6/20/2010 9:00pm
There is no cheaper way to go motor racing than motocross.

Here is a bear at my front door

You people are fucking idiots.
plowboy
6/20/2010 9:14pm
Moto is probably the easiest and least expensive motor sport to progress from beginner to pro. I'm not a fan of Nascar and sure don't won't our sport to turn into that circus. Hopefully DC has just the right mix of old school respect and business accumen to at least get everything headed in the right direction. Just listening to the fans and riders is a BIG improvement IMO.
olds cool
6/20/2010 9:20pm
Not to be contrary or anything but if RC got to pocket somewhere in the range of 35 - 50% ( which used to be the norm, though I'm not sure about current standards) of his winnings with the team keeping the balance, plus the fact that all of his expenses of getting to that race were either covered by his sponsors or his salary from the team or a combination of both, could one not conclude that RC's pay day of $4086. - $5838. NET is a better deal "by percentage" than the mx guy's $650. GROSS? What do you guesstimate the mx guy's NET for the day to be after taking out expenses?
500guy
6/20/2010 9:26pm
flarider wrote:
In last weekend's NASCAR Truck race, Ricky Carmichael won a purse of $11,675 for finishing 15th place Now that's a bit more than $650, but once...

In last weekend's NASCAR Truck race, Ricky Carmichael won a purse of $11,675 for finishing 15th place

Now that's a bit more than $650, but once you consider the differences in costs between fielding a NASCAR Camping World Truck series race (entry fees, team travel, tires, gas, etc....)

Seems by percentage, the MX rider earned more for his 15th than RC did for his

http://jayski.com/...michigan-results.htm
okay lets assume RC's mom and dad were financing the whole deal like Privateers in MX

what percent should he get to pocket while Mom and Dad go broke ?

I think Dave makes a valid point the money spent vs the money taken in is much more lop sided then

MX Privateer spent $4,000 to race and won $675

NASCAR truck driver spent 100,000 and won 11,000
Dozer
6/20/2010 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:29pm
flarider wrote:
In last weekend's NASCAR Truck race, Ricky Carmichael won a purse of $11,675 for finishing 15th place Now that's a bit more than $650, but once...

In last weekend's NASCAR Truck race, Ricky Carmichael won a purse of $11,675 for finishing 15th place

Now that's a bit more than $650, but once you consider the differences in costs between fielding a NASCAR Camping World Truck series race (entry fees, team travel, tires, gas, etc....)

Seems by percentage, the MX rider earned more for his 15th than RC did for his

http://jayski.com/...michigan-results.htm
I dunno about all this big Nascar $ numbers mumbo jumbo, but I do know that RC could finish in the top 15 at any MX National with an S-10 pickup, an EZ UP tent, 5 gallons of pump gas and a $3,500 craigslist dirtbike.

He is the GOAT.
plowboy
6/20/2010 10:01pm
Dozer...are you the only person in Slapout with internet access? How many people in that town....100? I'm just joshin' ya...I'm an Okie living in KS. I'm not sure RC could fit in an S-10 any more. He's startin' to swell up pretty good...I think it's a Nascar rule.Whistling
JB 19
6/20/2010 10:05pm
I don't think the nascar drivers keep the whole purse.......I beleive a large percentage goes back to the team.

Post a reply to: Something to think about regarding purses

The Latest