Something to think about.....

35smom
Edited Date/Time 12/21/2014 12:03pm
This was my friend from high school Kenny Haller. I knew they were pursing this but just found out the results. It just strengthens my point, as though I love this sport and always will, for Joey to move on. We've had a really rough go of it the last few years and honestly don't think its worth it anymore. I'm sure he won't agree with me, but just wanted to put this out here for all to read. Kenny was 45
Amy

|
Cygnus
12/20/2014 11:52am
This shit scares me as I've had quite a few concussions.
JM485
12/20/2014 12:01pm
Wow, that's some heavy stuff. I know very little about football, but it seems like they are making a big push to change the rules and such rather than looking at the safety of the helmets. Both my cousins are heavy into high school football so that type of stuff worries me, and I always wonder why they don't try to push new helmet technology, much like 6d has done for Moto. Regular helmets still seem like outdated, heavy pieces that don't have the current technology that we enjoy in the Moto world. Do current helmets make use of dual density foam layers and modern technology like that? Again, I know very little about that sport so someone please correct me if my uneducated analysis of football helmets is way off base, this is just an observation I have made.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
12/20/2014 12:38pm
Yep, scary stuff!

It is always a bummer when the top guys leave the sport, but I use to get very concerned for Pastrana every time he lined up to race, as tough as it is to see the veteran riders move on, it always makes me very happy when they can do it healthy.
jeffro503
12/20/2014 12:56pm
That is very sad to hear Mrs Peter's. I actually hate hearing things like this , because it makes me question things I do as well. I've had a few bad concussions in my life time and it worries me that they may affect me later in life. Very bad deal all the way around. My condolences to the Haller family.

The Shop

OldYZRider1
12/20/2014 6:18pm
I think as this evidence of this syndrome continues to emerge it will significantly alter professional football and might eliminate youth contact sports. Parents won't accept it and neither will insurers.

The show Frontline had a show about CTE a year or so ago and interviewed all the top people who were bringing this condition to light. The one doctor indicated that it wasn't necessary that you have actual concussions to cause the damage but many so-called subconcusive hits that accumulated to cause the condition. This is exactly what linemen in US football receive routinely.

I think MX may suffer too especially the youth classes although I don't know if there's any evidence of CTE in some of the old timers of the sport. I'd think we'd have seen some suspect cases and maybe there out there.
gt80rider
12/20/2014 7:41pm
This is also a big thing n soccer right now too... There are quite a few people that want to ban headers from the sport until the kids are older...
Sandberm
12/20/2014 8:14pm
Thats too bad about that poor guy. Tough way for him to go and for his family to watchhis demise. Kudos to them for pushing to research why he died and to put it out there.

As far as maybe trying to get your boy to quit sx/mx 35smom, I cant blame you. Watching what some of these guys do at THE SPEEDS they do it almost makes me feel guilty to be a fan. One of the reasons I quit watching football was I couldnt reckon being "entertained" watching one man run into and injure another man over a game. At least with motocross its not the whole intent of the sport to creme the shit out of someone else.
500guy
12/20/2014 8:14pm
I played Football for 8 years Pop Warner through High School , I know I had multiple concussions over those years, Racing MX for the years when I was young and then resumed when I was in my 30's multiple concussions, BMX 3 years same thing , I'm sure a few fist fights too. and then a few normal type hit your head accidents at work.

I made the decision to stop BMX and MX because the risk was way to high and the odds were getting stacked against me, a person can only crash so many times and walk away.

People like to say "He died doing what He Loved" There are things in this world that make life feel worth while that are far less dangerous.
2thefront
12/20/2014 8:26pm
JM485 wrote:
Wow, that's some heavy stuff. I know very little about football, but it seems like they are making a big push to change the rules and...
Wow, that's some heavy stuff. I know very little about football, but it seems like they are making a big push to change the rules and such rather than looking at the safety of the helmets. Both my cousins are heavy into high school football so that type of stuff worries me, and I always wonder why they don't try to push new helmet technology, much like 6d has done for Moto. Regular helmets still seem like outdated, heavy pieces that don't have the current technology that we enjoy in the Moto world. Do current helmets make use of dual density foam layers and modern technology like that? Again, I know very little about that sport so someone please correct me if my uneducated analysis of football helmets is way off base, this is just an observation I have made.
The helmets have come a long way. Actually there is a football helmet that came out before the 6D that employs the same concept. The problem is football is such a violent game. Yes, one get off on a dirt bike can potentially be worse than hits seen in football, but there's just way more chances to take a crushing blow to the head in football. Modern training has made players faster and stronger than ever and physics say the energy has to go some where and ultimately a lot of times the brain is what moves and absorbs a lot of energy.
Sandberm
12/20/2014 8:31pm
Why cant they get rid of shoulder pads in football? It seems like thats the reason guys run into eachother at full speed. Get rid of the shoulder pads and it will be an arm tackle rather then planting a WELL padded shoulder into a guy.
hvaughn88
12/21/2014 6:16am
Sandberm wrote:
Why cant they get rid of shoulder pads in football? It seems like thats the reason guys run into eachother at full speed. Get rid of...
Why cant they get rid of shoulder pads in football? It seems like thats the reason guys run into eachother at full speed. Get rid of the shoulder pads and it will be an arm tackle rather then planting a WELL padded shoulder into a guy.
Not that this is a good excuse from a safety standpoint, but if you limited the defense to arm tackling the scores would be like 100-101. These guys are too good to be brought down by arm tackling. If that's the route the sport wanted to go, just make it 7 on 7 style, or flag. I would hate it and stop watching, but it's probably the only way to accomplish it.
Kawaboy14
12/21/2014 6:30am
How could they possibly know for a fact that ALS was triggered by concussions?
12/21/2014 6:38am
500guy wrote:
I played Football for 8 years Pop Warner through High School , I know I had multiple concussions over those years, Racing MX for the years...
I played Football for 8 years Pop Warner through High School , I know I had multiple concussions over those years, Racing MX for the years when I was young and then resumed when I was in my 30's multiple concussions, BMX 3 years same thing , I'm sure a few fist fights too. and then a few normal type hit your head accidents at work.

I made the decision to stop BMX and MX because the risk was way to high and the odds were getting stacked against me, a person can only crash so many times and walk away.

People like to say "He died doing what He Loved" There are things in this world that make life feel worth while that are far less dangerous.
Said Travis Pastrana never.....
500guy
12/21/2014 6:40am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2014 6:47am
Kawaboy14 wrote:
How could they possibly know for a fact that ALS was triggered by concussions?
because they have done studies and compared the brains of people who never played sports or had multiple concussions.

there was a Special on about this issue and if you were skeptical before it pretty much will remove any doubt.

Everyone should see this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/
Sandberm
12/21/2014 6:51am
Sandberm wrote:
Why cant they get rid of shoulder pads in football? It seems like thats the reason guys run into eachother at full speed. Get rid of...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Not that this is a good excuse from a safety standpoint, but if you limited the defense to arm tackling the scores would be like 100-101...
Not that this is a good excuse from a safety standpoint, but if you limited the defense to arm tackling the scores would be like 100-101. These guys are too good to be brought down by arm tackling. If that's the route the sport wanted to go, just make it 7 on 7 style, or flag. I would hate it and stop watching, but it's probably the only way to accomplish it.
To be the devils advocate and pick your post apart...

Your saying we need shoulder pads in football because it helps keep the score of the game lower even though the tradeoff is perhaps more life altering injuries?
12/21/2014 6:53am

How messed up would it be of the NFL was suppressing information to keep raking in billions of dollars knowing all along that they are ruining these players lives? I am sure they are with all the knowledge we already have about concussions and brain injuries.

The fear of a concussion is one of the many reasons why I ride as slow as I do now!
DonM
12/21/2014 6:56am
Sandberm wrote:
They already do it in a game called Rugby....now talk about a sport that has concussion issues....
hvaughn88
12/21/2014 11:16am
Sandberm wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Not that this is a good excuse from a safety standpoint, but if you limited the defense to arm tackling the scores would be like 100-101...
Sandberm wrote:
To be the devils advocate and pick your post apart... Your saying we need shoulder pads in football because it helps keep the score of the...
To be the devils advocate and pick your post apart...

Your saying we need shoulder pads in football because it helps keep the score of the game lower even though the tradeoff is perhaps more life altering injuries?
Yes.
dang472
Fantasy
403rd
12/21/2014 11:58am
My local sports radio has had several experts on this. From what I understand, the smaller, repeated impacts to the head that don't result in the typical blackout concussion cause equal or greater harm than the big ones. When you've had a significant impact to be knocked out, your brain is trying to protect itself from greater damage. In football, the constant helmet to helmet hits of say a running back or safety really add up later on in life. I hope my kids don't want to play.
hvaughn88
12/21/2014 11:59am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2014 12:05pm
dang472 wrote:
My local sports radio has had several experts on this. From what I understand, the smaller, repeated impacts to the head that don't result in the...
My local sports radio has had several experts on this. From what I understand, the smaller, repeated impacts to the head that don't result in the typical blackout concussion cause equal or greater harm than the big ones. When you've had a significant impact to be knocked out, your brain is trying to protect itself from greater damage. In football, the constant helmet to helmet hits of say a running back or safety really add up later on in life. I hope my kids don't want to play.
Or the linemen that are blocking/rushing the passer every play.

I'm torn on what I think about my boys playing. One side of me acknowledged the dangers of the sport. But the other part of me remembers how awesome it was to play. Going all out and just knocking some dude's block off is a feeling like no other. Not to mention all the life experiences I got being part of a team and just shooting the shit in the locker room, bus rides. And as much as 2-a-days sucked, you learn a lot about what you can handle as a person and how you can push yourself harder than you ever thought you could. I know you can learn those things from other sports, but I've played damn near all of them and nothing did it like football.

Post a reply to: Something to think about.....

The Latest