Something to mull over...possible SX format change idea

Ted722
2/27/2017 12:38pm
Start the night show with a recap of qualifying, then go straight to LCQ's live. Some of the best racing has been in the LCQ and helps these Privateers with sponsorship.
aeffertz
2/27/2017 1:08pm
Ted722 wrote:
Start the night show with a recap of qualifying, then go straight to LCQ's live. Some of the best racing has been in the LCQ and...
Start the night show with a recap of qualifying, then go straight to LCQ's live. Some of the best racing has been in the LCQ and helps these Privateers with sponsorship.
Ahh, so change nothing and show less racing. Brilliant!

Boy I bet Feld is red in the face for not thinking of this first.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/27/2017 1:10pm
Wonder if this tweet by RC was hinting at this new format. I would not be surprised if Fox Sports was pushing for a shorter program too.

Ted722
2/27/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 2:23pm
Ted722 wrote:
Start the night show with a recap of qualifying, then go straight to LCQ's live. Some of the best racing has been in the LCQ and...
aeffertz wrote:
Ahh, so change nothing and show less racing. Brilliant!

Boy I bet Feld is red in the face for not thinking of this first.
No, I was just adding to what GuyB had in the OP. My bad. For MEC the LCQ's at 4pm, then the night show starts at 7pm.

I was just saying, start the night show off with LCQ's, then go into an MEC like format (and since you asked) keep the longer motos.

The Shop

Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
2/27/2017 1:22pm
early wrote:
Wonder if this tweet by RC was hinting at this new format. I would not be surprised if Fox Sports was pushing for a shorter program...
Wonder if this tweet by RC was hinting at this new format. I would not be surprised if Fox Sports was pushing for a shorter program too.

God, I hope you're wrong Early, but why am I not surprised. I really think track design has been the biggest factor in race excitement, not gate drops, so I'm not convinced we're even addressing the right issue here!
stewie94
2/27/2017 2:16pm
untill the tracks get better with designs , idc wht format your goona do shit is still goona be the same
MotoX85
2/27/2017 2:21pm
The main reason Monster cup works is: Nothing racing at the time and it includes top Amateurs. The pro racing is pretty boring. I personally think its a bad idea, but I'm not a supercross fan anyway. I would rather just have a couple knock off SX races and then a longer outdoor series.

However, if they included the Am classes like the cup (open to 125/144/150/250 2 strokes in the all stars class ), and it was on who deserved to go instead of who was invited, maybe a qualifying system for them also. Then I actually would be interested very much.

With that being said, lappers are part of the sport and at this level, it should factor in on the racing.

Sprock3t
2/27/2017 6:05pm
I don't necessarily think a drastic format change is in order. The biggest problem has more to do with the bikes. The 450's are so powerful now that it is hard to build obstacles that they can't power through. There is no real line variation. The guys in the back half of the field are jumping the same rhythms as the leaders. That has put more of an emphasis on the start. You see guys getting a bad start, then they almost kill them selves trying to catch up. I think adding multiple main events is going to result in more serious injuries, due to fatigue.

There needs to be more track maintenance. Ditching the semis will help. Add a couple of laps to the heats. One 20/25 minute 450 main event is enough. If anything, add a B main to give more exposure to the little guy.

Lastly, I think the lack of outside interest in this sport is due to current promoters. With social media and technology these days we shouldn't have this problem. The devil is in the details with Feld Entertainment. If your making the mains every week you should be able to make a decent living. I know we will never be like NASCAR or basesball and I know these events aren't cheap to put on, but something needs to happen for the 5th-22nd place riders. The top factory guys are getting all the air time. Who wants to invest in the little guy if there product is not going to be seen. I would be interested to see what Feld actually takes home on a supercross race. It has been a few years since I've been to a race, but the ticket prices have climbed every time.
yzf842
2/27/2017 6:17pm
I'd hate to see that happen. I can't stand the mec format. I like racing, time trials heats and the semi them you get the main.
aeffertz
2/27/2017 7:33pm
Sprock3t wrote:
I don't necessarily think a drastic format change is in order. The biggest problem has more to do with the bikes. The 450's are so powerful...
I don't necessarily think a drastic format change is in order. The biggest problem has more to do with the bikes. The 450's are so powerful now that it is hard to build obstacles that they can't power through. There is no real line variation. The guys in the back half of the field are jumping the same rhythms as the leaders. That has put more of an emphasis on the start. You see guys getting a bad start, then they almost kill them selves trying to catch up. I think adding multiple main events is going to result in more serious injuries, due to fatigue.

There needs to be more track maintenance. Ditching the semis will help. Add a couple of laps to the heats. One 20/25 minute 450 main event is enough. If anything, add a B main to give more exposure to the little guy.

Lastly, I think the lack of outside interest in this sport is due to current promoters. With social media and technology these days we shouldn't have this problem. The devil is in the details with Feld Entertainment. If your making the mains every week you should be able to make a decent living. I know we will never be like NASCAR or basesball and I know these events aren't cheap to put on, but something needs to happen for the 5th-22nd place riders. The top factory guys are getting all the air time. Who wants to invest in the little guy if there product is not going to be seen. I would be interested to see what Feld actually takes home on a supercross race. It has been a few years since I've been to a race, but the ticket prices have climbed every time.
The problem is though, if a racer gets a bad race in SX right now, their night is pretty much ruined due to size of tracks, line limitations, etc.. If there were multiple races a night to determine the overall, the racer who got a bad start in the first race can hope for a better start in the second race. It works well outdoors, and in the MEC from what we've seen, so I don't see why it couldn't work in SX...

And as far as covering the 5th-22nd place riders, that's where the LCQ's and Semis come into play. Ideally, and what they seem to do for the most part is, show where the best racing is. Yeah, everyone knows the top guysand I'm sure a lot of the casual fans don't know many of the dudes outside the top 5 but that doesn't mean you shun the best dudes. Put yourself in their shoes and the companies paying the big bucks to have them on their equipment. You worked your ass off and spent tons of money, you bet your ass you're going to want just as much coverage as the next guy.

You have to show the winner crossing the line, he's earned it. And while it's not perfect (though that's easy for me to say as someone who just sits on the couch and watches) I think they've been doing a great job showing a wide range of riders and capturing good battles throughout the night and pack.
level
2/27/2017 7:57pm
I get bored at the races. I left early in atlanta. Stayed an hour and went home and watched on tv. Wasn't feeling too good so wanted to leave but knew I wasn't missing much.
Something needs to be done to make it more exciting. Let outdoors be the heart of mx. Sx needs to be a kick ass race show. It's really alot to do with starts. Also in person it's hard to follow.
resetjet
2/28/2017 7:18am
If it goes that way the privateers won't get much of a chance because they won't have 40 making the night show so somewhere about 20...
If it goes that way the privateers won't get much of a chance because they won't have 40 making the night show so somewhere about 20 or 22 riders make the night show. If that is done the fill in riders won't have much seat time before they get the phone call to fill in for injured racers.
Well unless you have a privateer class. 450 250 factory and privateer 250. 9 mains. Two thumbs up.
sam hain
2/28/2017 7:36am
I think the MEC format would work pretty good, but let the 250 guys run the same laps/time as the 450's. Everyone bitches about the lites class not being a "stepping stone" so let them run the same as the big boys.

Do away with semi's just have 4 heat races (two for each cc) top 9 to main and two LCQ's top 4 to main then have two 12 lap mains for each class. More racing that matters and less races that don't.
2/28/2017 7:48am
Gonna say it again... head to head bracket racing that AX does for extra points needs to come to SX. That will be the best show of the night.
2/28/2017 8:52am
I think track improvements/restructuring should be a higher priority than the racing format.

More dirt, wider lanes, more bowl turns, more rider designed tracks like in 2009, more variety.

That is what I would like to see.
ProMotoFan
2/28/2017 9:31am
Day practice/qualifying shall remain the same to determine the “fast 40” who advance to the night show. Gate pick for heat races shall be determined by overall top 40 rank as it currently is.
250’s AND 450’s shall have 2 heat races each with top 9 advancing to the main event. In addition, championship points shall be awarded to each transfer position (top 9) with 9 points for first place, 8 for second, 7 for third, and so on with 1 point for 9th position.

LCQ’s shall advance the top 4 riders with 1 championship point awarded to first place only.

Gate picks for the main events shall be by random selection using a lottery style ping pong ball machine. (imagine having the riders all lined up in staging behind the gate and the ping pong machine on the jumbo-tron spitting out the riders number one at a time. If number 22 pops out first, then Chad Reed gets the first gate pick and goes to the line. Next number is 722, then Adam Enticknap goes to the line second, etc, etc. With gate pick being so important, it should be fair AND part of the show!

There shall be 2 main events per class. Each main event shall be 10 minutes plus 2 laps. (If the goal of the 250 class is truly to help groom riders for the premier class, then we should start by at least having them race the same amount of time!)

Championship points for the main events shall be awarded per main event. Overall event position shall also be determined by lowest combined main event finishes (motos), like we do locally at MX races. 2 Championship bonus points shall be awarded to the overall event winner.
Let the fun begin!
JAFO92
2/28/2017 9:36am
Gibby, that idea sounds very good.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/28/2017 10:33am
ProMotoFan wrote:
Day practice/qualifying shall remain the same to determine the “fast 40” who advance to the night show. Gate pick for heat races shall be determined by...
Day practice/qualifying shall remain the same to determine the “fast 40” who advance to the night show. Gate pick for heat races shall be determined by overall top 40 rank as it currently is.
250’s AND 450’s shall have 2 heat races each with top 9 advancing to the main event. In addition, championship points shall be awarded to each transfer position (top 9) with 9 points for first place, 8 for second, 7 for third, and so on with 1 point for 9th position.

LCQ’s shall advance the top 4 riders with 1 championship point awarded to first place only.

Gate picks for the main events shall be by random selection using a lottery style ping pong ball machine. (imagine having the riders all lined up in staging behind the gate and the ping pong machine on the jumbo-tron spitting out the riders number one at a time. If number 22 pops out first, then Chad Reed gets the first gate pick and goes to the line. Next number is 722, then Adam Enticknap goes to the line second, etc, etc. With gate pick being so important, it should be fair AND part of the show!

There shall be 2 main events per class. Each main event shall be 10 minutes plus 2 laps. (If the goal of the 250 class is truly to help groom riders for the premier class, then we should start by at least having them race the same amount of time!)

Championship points for the main events shall be awarded per main event. Overall event position shall also be determined by lowest combined main event finishes (motos), like we do locally at MX races. 2 Championship bonus points shall be awarded to the overall event winner.
Let the fun begin!
5 minute +2 lap heats. Points pay 9-1.

3 minute +2 lap lcq. 1pt for winner.

No random gate.

2 10min +2 lap mains each class. Points pay 25-1 for each main individually.

Overall events results pay 10pts - 1st, 7pts - 2nd, 5pts -3rd.
yzf842
2/28/2017 1:06pm
Tbteam wrote:
I really enjoy watching the heats. It's cool to see a kid who may only ride in his region attempt to qualify and sometimes actual succeed...
I really enjoy watching the heats. It's cool to see a kid who may only ride in his region attempt to qualify and sometimes actual succeed!

There's just something about the "everything is on the line" idea of heats and LCQ's.

Just watching three mains for 450's and 3 for 250's wouldn't be as interesting to me.
Because that is racing. This is why I go to my local dirt track every Saturday night. If my track went to 2 10 lap mains is need to find a new hobbie. I personally want to see a 3rd sx class. I just watched this last weekends race and thought there was too much down time. Keep the same format and add something too it. Maybe have 3 250class heats. Take more guys to the night show.
2/28/2017 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2017 7:10pm
If they do this, I'd like to see something like this:

Top 16 qualifiers in 250 and 450 go straight to mains.

250 LCQ - 5 minutes, 6 riders advance.
450 LCQ - 5 minutes 6 riders advance.
Support Race - 10 Min (125, 85 or 50)
250 Main 1 - 12-15 min
450 Main 1 - 15-20 min
Track prep / Interviews
250 Main 2 - 12-15 min
450 Main 2 - 15-20 min

You'd still have 38 riders in each class making the night show, and the ones who wind up in the LCQ aren't getting much coverage in the mains and semis as it is. Total track time is about the same as it is now, but more of the track time pays points.
DFWracefan
2/28/2017 7:04pm
Two 20 minute mains.....hmm. That would be okay.
Ted722
3/4/2017 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2017 6:16pm
450 heat 1...6 laps 450 heat 2....6 laps 250 heat 1....6 laps 250 heat 2...6 laps 450 lcq..4 laps 250 lcq...4 laps 450 main 1...15 laps...
450 heat 1...6 laps
450 heat 2....6 laps
250 heat 1....6 laps
250 heat 2...6 laps

450 lcq..4 laps
250 lcq...4 laps

450 main 1...15 laps
250 main...15 laps
450 main 2....15 laps

That's what I want to see....
Thought I liked the MEC format better, but no. Keep heat's and lcq's. Drop the semi's using same (1) 250 and (2) 450 main format as above.

Post a reply to: Something to mull over...possible SX format change idea

The Latest