Something kinky at Southwick

motogroove
8/28/2010 6:19am
I don't know why the link is broken in my post above.Unsure

After watching the helmet cam a couple more times, I'm thinking that corner went from one of my least favorite on the track to a really sweet looking sweeper. And turn 11 looks like such a... Southwick corner.

And I guess the hint that it's deep sand is in the audio. Listen to that bike fighting the friction. Man, that place eats horsepower.Whistling

In case it doesn't go without saying, forget track records or comparing lap times to last year except to determine how much the corner changed the track. Or maybe I'm wrong...

*insert wandering mind music*
As my memory drifts back to the climbing turn at Lime Rock Park and Jacques Villeneuve in a Canadian Tire Frisbee GR3 decimating the track record... I want to say 48.9 seconds on the 1.5 mile road course. Goosebumps on top of goosebumps.
They added a chicane on the climbing turn shortly after that because cars were backflipping off the lip when the ground effects broke the seal with the pavement. And so we thought nobody would ever break that 'old track" record with a new chicane. But now I just went and looked and HFS!, I found this:
" Lime Rock Park, the challenging 1.53-mile road circuit nestled in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains in northwestern Connecticut, bills itself as the fastest road racing course in the country. How can that be? It's very simple: the track record of 43.112 seconds, turned by P.J. Jones in 1993 in a Toyota MkIII GTP car, is 128.595 mph. No track in the U.S. Can boast a one-lap average speed faster than that."
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
8/28/2010 6:53am
Cool video, but had to mute the sound. That 4 stroke was driving me nuts.
motogroove
8/28/2010 7:02am
ky_savage wrote:
LOL. They were grooming. That was a bulldozer.
tuz371
8/28/2010 7:17am
Looks really good, but they shold reverse the direction back to the original counterclockwise flow.

The Shop

jatharp12
8/28/2010 7:38am
Yeah, i bet the new section is really sandy. As a kid in the 80's, we used to park right above there. It was sort of a cliff going down there, and we would ride our bmx bikes off of it, and land in like 3 feet of sand. It was awesome
8/28/2010 8:25am
motogroove wrote:
I don't know why the link is broken in my post above.:unsure: After watching the helmet cam a couple more times, I'm thinking that corner went...
I don't know why the link is broken in my post above.Unsure

After watching the helmet cam a couple more times, I'm thinking that corner went from one of my least favorite on the track to a really sweet looking sweeper. And turn 11 looks like such a... Southwick corner.

And I guess the hint that it's deep sand is in the audio. Listen to that bike fighting the friction. Man, that place eats horsepower.Whistling

In case it doesn't go without saying, forget track records or comparing lap times to last year except to determine how much the corner changed the track. Or maybe I'm wrong...

*insert wandering mind music*
As my memory drifts back to the climbing turn at Lime Rock Park and Jacques Villeneuve in a Canadian Tire Frisbee GR3 decimating the track record... I want to say 48.9 seconds on the 1.5 mile road course. Goosebumps on top of goosebumps.
They added a chicane on the climbing turn shortly after that because cars were backflipping off the lip when the ground effects broke the seal with the pavement. And so we thought nobody would ever break that 'old track" record with a new chicane. But now I just went and looked and HFS!, I found this:
" Lime Rock Park, the challenging 1.53-mile road circuit nestled in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains in northwestern Connecticut, bills itself as the fastest road racing course in the country. How can that be? It's very simple: the track record of 43.112 seconds, turned by P.J. Jones in 1993 in a Toyota MkIII GTP car, is 128.595 mph. No track in the U.S. Can boast a one-lap average speed faster than that."
Hmmmm what about Daytona or Talladega?
Cory976
8/28/2010 8:50am
Wasn't Marshall Peralized a couple years ago at San Diego????
Cory976
8/28/2010 8:51am
Oh! That was James Marshal, not Robbie, right?
level
8/28/2010 9:18am
Don't worry it will get rough. Oh and that was probably the best helmet cam footage I've seen. That was great. He was on the gas the whole time and him and Decotis were going at it.
bullpen58
8/28/2010 9:19am
That was the coolest on-board video I've ever seen . . . ever. No other noise in the way other than the two bikes and the riders yelling. Freakin a man, freakin a.
motogroove
8/28/2010 11:04am
Hmmmm what about Daytona or Talladega?
The key words are road racing course, as opposed to speedway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLv8HycCyc

This guy is not using the chicane at the climbing turn (which they've changed again, I guess). You can hear him get light at the top.

Southwick was looking awesome today. I love the new turn. The cameras seem to flatten out the elevation changes.

Yes, that helmet cam stuff is top shelf material.
mattbmx63
8/28/2010 5:12pm
That corner isn't anything new, its been used before at least for local racing there.
takitimu
8/28/2010 6:34pm
jatharp12 wrote:
Yeah, i bet the new section is really sandy. As a kid in the 80's, we used to park right above there. It was sort of...
Yeah, i bet the new section is really sandy. As a kid in the 80's, we used to park right above there. It was sort of a cliff going down there, and we would ride our bmx bikes off of it, and land in like 3 feet of sand. It was awesome
I stood on the apex of corner 11 for the 1st 450 race Smile , it bumped up pretty good, corner 12 was taking some serious action, 11 was tight & seemed if you were wide on the exit it didn't set you up for 12.
BT went straight through corner 12 after he fell off clashing with Metcalf in Race 1 & took a rider with him, I was amazed they didn't fall off.
jndmx
8/28/2010 6:37pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
That corner isn't anything new, its been used before at least for local racing there.
Yup they cut that in a couple weeks before the national and leave it in for a little while after.
Preset
8/28/2010 6:46pm
Great video.That slo-mo look back at around the minute mark was insane.
Good job>those guys are haulin!

Post a reply to: Something kinky at Southwick

The Latest