Soccer Stadiums and SX

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3626th
3/28/2017 3:59pm
Maybe this has been discussed before. Why have they never, (maybe we have?) even once tried to hold a supercross in a soccer stadium.

Most every city sx visits has a soccer stadium(weather/time of year not withstanding)

dimension of a soccer field tend to be approx 10yds longer and up to 30 yds wider than a football field...add a little more floor space around that and a trip up into the stands and couldn't we build a better track, wider lanes, etc...

thoughts?

|
RG1
3/28/2017 4:06pm
They play soccer the same time of year that SX is on don't they?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/28/2017 4:07pm
Maybe this has been discussed before. Why have they never, (maybe we have?) even once tried to hold a supercross in a soccer stadium. Most every...
Maybe this has been discussed before. Why have they never, (maybe we have?) even once tried to hold a supercross in a soccer stadium.

Most every city sx visits has a soccer stadium(weather/time of year not withstanding)

dimension of a soccer field tend to be approx 10yds longer and up to 30 yds wider than a football field...add a little more floor space around that and a trip up into the stands and couldn't we build a better track, wider lanes, etc...

thoughts?

Doesn't the US Soccer season begin the first week of March?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/28/2017 4:09pm
Map of MLS team stadiums... The Colorado stadium is the only one that really sparks my interest for an area we don't really visit already.

Acidreamer
3/28/2017 4:19pm
I think its one of those "if it aint broke dont fix it" situations.

The Shop

Rdubs19
3/28/2017 4:37pm
I like any idea that gets the tracks into a venue with more space. I've always wanted to see more races on the infield of NASCAR tracks if it was done right. But as far as soccer fields go, FELD apparently isn't going to buy more dirt if their life depends on it, and that has to happen first. When we see exposed plywood and concrete nearly every week, it's hard to wonder if they really give a shit.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
3/28/2017 4:38pm
it would be a better use of the stadium as mens soccer is a joke.
Radman66
3/28/2017 4:38pm
I don't think soccer stadiums seat that many people compared to football and baseball stadiums.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/28/2017 4:41pm
Radman66 wrote:
I don't think soccer stadiums seat that many people compared to football and baseball stadiums.
Good point, the Rapids stadium I mentioned only sits 19,000 or so.
RG1
3/28/2017 4:45pm
Radman66 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Good point, the Rapids stadium I mentioned only sits 19,000 or so.
Although 19,000 is obviously too small, a smaller stadium could actually be better in some cases. You see some of the bigger stadiums with a lot of empty seats, you'd probably get a better vibe and atmosphere in a packed out smaller stadium
Bultaco
3/28/2017 4:49pm
The very first ever stadium scrambles/motocross race (1960's in Russia) was in a soccer stadium.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/28/2017 4:51pm
RG1 wrote:
Although 19,000 is obviously too small, a smaller stadium could actually be better in some cases. You see some of the bigger stadiums with a lot...
Although 19,000 is obviously too small, a smaller stadium could actually be better in some cases. You see some of the bigger stadiums with a lot of empty seats, you'd probably get a better vibe and atmosphere in a packed out smaller stadium
Although I've been to some rounds without a very full crowd, that's definitely too small. Also, those stadiums have a very low seating deck at more of an angle. Most of those seats wouldn't be able to see over the jump in front of them. Very few of those 19,000 seats would be worth watching from.
3/28/2017 5:32pm
Yes. Do a round at Dick's Sporting Good's Park (Rapid's stadium).

I'll be able to smell the race gas from home.

Do it.

I know it really doesn't make sense logistically, but do it.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
3/28/2017 5:36pm
McGrath Invitational and XGames Supercross was held at the Home Depot Center which was a soccer stadium (Now Chargers temporary home).
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/28/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 5:56pm
College football stadiums, as options, has always intrigued me. For a lot of reasons. But, the big desirable ones probably wouldnt do it because they would be the few exceptions where their schools actually make money. Not withstanding, many of them are considered sacred ground. But, if they would, the landscape of supercross could really change/improve.
tcallahan707
3/28/2017 5:56pm
RG1 wrote:
Although 19,000 is obviously too small, a smaller stadium could actually be better in some cases. You see some of the bigger stadiums with a lot...
ML512 wrote:
Although I've been to some rounds without a very full crowd, that's definitely too small. Also, those stadiums have a very low seating deck at more...
Although I've been to some rounds without a very full crowd, that's definitely too small. Also, those stadiums have a very low seating deck at more of an angle. Most of those seats wouldn't be able to see over the jump in front of them. Very few of those 19,000 seats would be worth watching from.
The Rapids stadium would be the worst option in Denver. Middle of nowhere, shallow angles, and small capacity. I'd love to see one at Coors Field though. It'd be a nice change of pace to hit a baseball stadium mid season. Weather is impossible to predict here so they'll never do it. God forbid the dirt gets wet and professionals have to ride it.
aeffertz
3/28/2017 5:59pm
That would require more dirt. They tracks could be better and bigger if they just trucked in some more dirt in the existing stadiums but that obviously cost more money. If only we could get more dirt!

Spending other people's money is a lot easier, I know, but still...
c3011
3/28/2017 6:05pm
I think most of the soccer stadiums have natural grass while football mostly have artificial turf and I bet it's more expensive to restore the natural grass field.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
3/28/2017 6:12pm
kzizok wrote:
College football stadiums, as options, has always intrigued me. For a lot of reasons. But, the big desirable ones probably wouldnt do it because they would...
College football stadiums, as options, has always intrigued me. For a lot of reasons. But, the big desirable ones probably wouldnt do it because they would be the few exceptions where their schools actually make money. Not withstanding, many of them are considered sacred ground. But, if they would, the landscape of supercross could really change/improve.
It would be awesome if they could hold the final round of supercross at one
Sully
3/28/2017 6:15pm
kzizok wrote:
College football stadiums, as options, has always intrigued me. For a lot of reasons. But, the big desirable ones probably wouldnt do it because they would...
The only problem with that is the big desirable stadiums seat upwards of 100,000 people. Even if they got 50,000 people to come out, the stadium is still a ghost town.
Rockinar
3/28/2017 6:18pm
Using domes guarantees the even goes on no matter the weather. Also nobody is the US watches soccer. They don't hold many seats.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/28/2017 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 6:53pm
kzizok wrote:
Sully wrote:
The only problem with that is the big desirable stadiums seat upwards of 100,000 people. Even if they got 50,000 people to come out, the stadium...
The only problem with that is the big desirable stadiums seat upwards of 100,000 people. Even if they got 50,000 people to come out, the stadium is still a ghost town.
This is true. But Ive always thought, that if they could somewhow tie college football fan loyalty in with SX, then you might be on to something. Tie in the big rivalries, somehow (tOSU/Mich, OU/texass). In those types of rivalries, people would pack the house to watch their arch rivals lose at tiddlywinks!

I have no idea how to do it, but fans at places like Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, etc. chomp at the bit to get inside their stadiums in the off season (work around the spring games). The fanbase is already there, with a lot of deep pockets. Pipe dream, I know, but fun to think about.
Bultaco
3/28/2017 6:47pm
kzizok wrote:
How about the next to the last round....at say U of U stadium in Salt Lake City?
APLMAN99
3/28/2017 6:53pm
c3011 wrote:
I think most of the soccer stadiums have natural grass while football mostly have artificial turf and I bet it's more expensive to restore the natural...
I think most of the soccer stadiums have natural grass while football mostly have artificial turf and I bet it's more expensive to restore the natural grass field.
I think this probably has at least some influence on it.

When they built the "new" Seahawk stadium there was a huge issue because soccer leagues weren't playing on Field Turf at that time, and certainly not any World Cup games. It took a huge act to get them to even try it.

Baseball stadiums with grass generally have a longer time to "rehab" the grass than stadiums that host soccer teams.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/28/2017 6:54pm
Not much artifical turf left?
APLMAN99
3/28/2017 6:54pm
kzizok wrote:
Bultaco wrote:
How about the next to the last round....at say U of U stadium in Salt Lake City?
They already run the last round at a "college football stadium".......
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
3/28/2017 6:59pm
Bultaco wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
They already run the last round at a "college football stadium".......
Great work detective
ga_pike
3/28/2017 7:02pm
Maybe they could build tracks out in large rolling fields without the constraints of walls or on top of concrete? Imagine how many people could show up if they weren't limited to set seating. Let the tracks run up and down and across the hills... the natural terrain could create tracks without any need for man made obstacles. You'd even save money on the cost of bringing in dirt and eliminate the need to remove dirt from stadiums and store it for 11.5 months.

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/28/2017 7:12pm
ga_pike wrote:
Maybe they could build tracks out in large rolling fields without the constraints of walls or on top of concrete? Imagine how many people could show...
Maybe they could build tracks out in large rolling fields without the constraints of walls or on top of concrete? Imagine how many people could show up if they weren't limited to set seating. Let the tracks run up and down and across the hills... the natural terrain could create tracks without any need for man made obstacles. You'd even save money on the cost of bringing in dirt and eliminate the need to remove dirt from stadiums and store it for 11.5 months.

Yeah, but what would they call it?
cmarona463
3/28/2017 8:18pm
ga_pike wrote:
Maybe they could build tracks out in large rolling fields without the constraints of walls or on top of concrete? Imagine how many people could show...

Worst idea ever. That'll never catch on
Benihana225
3/28/2017 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 8:30pm
Delete someone already said it

Post a reply to: Soccer Stadiums and SX

The Latest