So who's your biggest surprise/letdown...

DoctorJD
5/23/2016 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 6:28am
...of the weekend? For me:

"Biggest surprise": While it shouldn't have been a surprise considering Joey Savatgy has won a moto in his career, I thought his 1/1 performance was pretty notable, especially considering no one seemed to be able to put together two good rides in the 250's. I did think Webbs 4-5 was gutsy as hell considering his injury.

"Biggest letdown": No, not Tomac. I keep waiting for Marvin Musquin to break out. I had him pegged as a title contender this year in SX and MX. Granted, it's only been one race, but he just doesn't look ready to compete with the big three. Not sure if he's still dealing with that hand/wrist injury, or if he just can't get comfortable on the 450, just expected more from him.
|
5/23/2016 1:14pm
Biggest surprises: Tristan Charboneau and Jordan Smith hanging with the top guys.. and how can you not put A-Mart passing J-Mart in this category?!

Biggest letdown: Stew. Fuckin, Stew..
5/23/2016 1:16pm
This thread. I kid though, there have been some horrendous threads started this weekend and this is far from the worst.

It's been one race and nothing shocking occurred. The top riders were all expected to do well and aside from a few crashes nothing seemed out of place or was very far from believable had you been told the results a week prior.
Motoxdoc
5/23/2016 1:31pm
DoctorJD wrote:
...of the weekend? For me: "Biggest surprise": While it shouldn't have been a surprise considering Joey Savatgy has won a moto in his career, I thought...
...of the weekend? For me:

"Biggest surprise": While it shouldn't have been a surprise considering Joey Savatgy has won a moto in his career, I thought his 1/1 performance was pretty notable, especially considering no one seemed to be able to put together two good rides in the 250's. I did think Webbs 4-5 was gutsy as hell considering his injury.

"Biggest letdown": No, not Tomac. I keep waiting for Marvin Musquin to break out. I had him pegged as a title contender this year in SX and MX. Granted, it's only been one race, but he just doesn't look ready to compete with the big three. Not sure if he's still dealing with that hand/wrist injury, or if he just can't get comfortable on the 450, just expected more from him.
I think that was Savatgy's first moto win of his career. Last year he won an overall with a 2-2 I believe.

J-marts 3-9 was about as surprising as A-Marts 8-2.
5/23/2016 1:32pm
Surprise: Savatgy going 1 - 1. His sx season did indicate he would be a force to reckon with, but never would've thought he'd come out swinging like he did at Hangtown! Same thing for A-Mart, epic 2nd moto from him!

Letdown: Stewart ... I was really excited to see him line up for the outdoors, was hoping to see him get some results in and build on it, bummer deal ...

The Shop

hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
5/23/2016 1:39pm
Biggest surprise? A-Mart. Biggest letdown J.Hill
TeamGreen
5/23/2016 1:40pm
Surprised: Benny Bloss was super-shitty sick.

His results were awesome for a guy that is/was as sick as he is.
agn5009
5/23/2016 1:42pm
This thread. I kid though, there have been some horrendous threads started this weekend and this is far from the worst. It's been one race and...
This thread. I kid though, there have been some horrendous threads started this weekend and this is far from the worst.

It's been one race and nothing shocking occurred. The top riders were all expected to do well and aside from a few crashes nothing seemed out of place or was very far from believable had you been told the results a week prior.
I think it's a great thread. Why not talk about the best and worst of the weekend?

Biggest surprise for me was Amarts 2nd moto. Holy shit he was absolutely flying. I reqlky hope he's stepped up his game and becomes a serious title threat. How awesome would it be to have 2 brothers fighting hard for a championship?

Biggest let down, honestly it's Tomac. Hes my favorite rider and I really wanted him to be up there racing with KR and RD. I have no problem with him taking 3rd overall, I just have a problem with how he didn't even compete with the fast 2
IceMan446
5/23/2016 1:43pm
Biggest surprise was Jordan Smith.

Biggest let down would be JMart. That crash in the second moto was costly.

Mitchell Harrison would be a close second. Good starts all day but crashed multiple times. Hopefully he will get the nerves out and rip soon.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/23/2016 1:51pm
I dont know if I would call a letdown, per se, but surprised Nichols didnt finish higher. Got plenty of time.
Trav138
5/23/2016 2:43pm
I would call it a surprise, but with the injuries and not many positives the last few years for Justin Hill it's not really surprising.
Is he injured again, he's had a few terrible years to say the least. I know he's had injuries that has affected his results but i thought he would of been better.
Plenty of fast guys with overall finishes in the teens or low 20's, in the 250's that i would say had a tough day.
Cole Seely was a pleasant surprise for awhile in moto 2. I would love to see Cole have a good season.
peelout
5/23/2016 2:44pm
Surprise : nobody caught the James crash except James himself? with all the television cameras around and not even one snippet?

Letdown : need more of those podium girls
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
5/23/2016 2:52pm
peelout wrote:
Surprise : nobody caught the James crash except James himself? with all the television cameras around and not even one snippet? Letdown : need more of...
Surprise : nobody caught the James crash except James himself? with all the television cameras around and not even one snippet?

Seriously, if you are a TV producer how do you not make sure there is a camera dedicated to him for the first few laps? You know what is going to happen. My Dad took me to a SX when I was a kid and told me know matter what position he is in watch #25 on the Honda (Bob Hannah), and it didn't disappoint. He whiskey throttled out of a corner into the whoops and looped out spectacularly.
Bad Billy
5/23/2016 2:53pm
Surprise: A-Mart.

Letdown: AC.

bsharkey
5/23/2016 2:54pm
seely put in a stellar ride, hes typically doesn't shine outdoors like he does indoors. Baggett looked really good too.
vschaik141
5/23/2016 3:10pm
Biggest surpise Blake Baggets 1st moto.

Letdown: Arnaud TonusDry
Reggsie
5/23/2016 3:54pm
Surprise: A Mart
Let down: J Mart

Really hope Jeremy steps it up, because I want to see him win a third championship and head into the 450s on a high
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
5/23/2016 3:57pm
This. Blake is known for late-moto charges and even so, I was surprised to see him catch and pass Tomac.

I was hoping for a revival of the Chupacabra but now he's out with a collarbone. I hope he can re-light that same fire later this season.
Ted722
5/23/2016 4:32pm
Surprised: Weather worries definitely affected spectator turnout. Also, very few riders throughout the field wearing neck braces (A and B both classes)

Letdown. The Suzuki trifecta. Bummed for Baggett and both Stewart's. Ronnie endo'd at high speed in the up hill rollers. Hope he can heal up quick.
5/23/2016 4:34pm
Suprise: JT$ wore those hideous red gloves and didn't show of his fresh manicure
Letdown: I wasn't there
dirtnapper
5/23/2016 4:45pm
Tough to put just one in each category, but heres mine:

Biggest surprise - AC: to me, he completely underwhelmed. I honestly thought he would do better.

Biggest let down - Blake: I was SO pumped on his first moto, and I just had a feeling he would be a front runner this year, so I was really bummed to see him crash out.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
5/23/2016 4:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 4:48pm
Biggest surprises- (Mainly their speed)
Tristian Charbonneau
Austin Forkner
RJ Hampshire
Alex Martin
Jordon Smith
Blake Baggett
Jesse Nelson

Let downs (if you want to call it that)-
James Stewart
Arnold Tonus
Christophe Pourcel
Justin Hill
Ciancauraulo
Martin Davalos
plowboy
5/23/2016 4:49pm
Biggest surprises: Tristan Charboneau and Jordan Smith hanging with the top guys.. and how can you not put A-Mart passing J-Mart in this category?! Biggest letdown...
Biggest surprises: Tristan Charboneau and Jordan Smith hanging with the top guys.. and how can you not put A-Mart passing J-Mart in this category?!

I'll go with this.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
5/23/2016 4:53pm
peelout wrote:
Surprise : nobody caught the James crash except James himself? with all the television cameras around and not even one snippet? Letdown : need more of...

I caught it.... (With my eyes) Tongue

Honestly can't say exactly what happened, but he hit the berm like he was trying to jump off of it. Maybe cross rutted or I've read some saying his hand came off... Either way, he hit the ground HARD, I'd be surprised if he lines up anytime soon. Too bad, I was hoping for a descent finish, he has the speed still, but his timing is horrific !! Sick
bsharkey
5/23/2016 5:18pm
peelout wrote:

langhammx wrote:
I caught it.... (With my eyes) :P Honestly can't say exactly what happened, but he hit the berm like he was trying to jump off of...
I caught it.... (With my eyes) Tongue

Honestly can't say exactly what happened, but he hit the berm like he was trying to jump off of it. Maybe cross rutted or I've read some saying his hand came off... Either way, he hit the ground HARD, I'd be surprised if he lines up anytime soon. Too bad, I was hoping for a descent finish, he has the speed still, but his timing is horrific !! Sick
the tv was following a martin when he blew hampshire off the track and never went back ether
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/23/2016 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 5:48pm
Biggest surprises: Tristan Charboneau and Jordan Smith hanging with the top guys.. and how can you not put A-Mart passing J-Mart in this category?! Biggest letdown...

plowboy wrote:
I'll go with this.
Tristan Charboneau here too. My son raced in the classes as him at some am. Nationals off and for 10 years and he was always good. But a 6th in your first pro national is beyond good. Thats a tall order. Good on him!

Ive seen some disappointed with AC. With the great amount of success and hype from am ranks it isnt too far of a stretch to expect better. If he had something to compare it too.
This is first race he has even completed in a while. So that is a surprise. If he stays healthy he will get back to it. He is elite, elite!
DonM
5/23/2016 5:49pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Surprised: Benny Bloss was super-shitty sick.

His results were awesome for a guy that is/was as sick as he is.
Heard JMart was pretty sick too...
struth
5/23/2016 5:55pm
Let down barcia,barcia.
Let down carnard...n biggest let down pourcel -tonus

FWYT
5/23/2016 6:15pm
I'm not going to say "let down" because anyone on the gate is bad ass but I really
wanted to see Pourcel and Craig up there. I love the way those guys ride.
kkawboy14
5/23/2016 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 2:29am
Smith, philthy Phil and Grant! All surprises.

Let downs.....Factory Suzuki
motogrady
5/23/2016 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 7:09pm
I really thought Tomac would be the owner of all by now.

Flip side, I thought KRock was toast when he had the back issues last year.
Who returns to being top dog after back issues?

Post a reply to: So who's your biggest surprise/letdown...

The Latest