So the 2016 RMZ250 went to KYB suspension?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2015 5:39am
I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on this bike , and one thing I liked hearing was that the 250F switched from the Showa stuff to the KYB PSF2 Front Fork / KYB rear shock. Along with I guess around 80 different internal motor changes. Not sure on the release date for these bikes , but it's something I'm interested in. Side note : I guess the 450 is sticking with the Showa stuff.

Quick question : is the KYB PSF2 Front Fork basically the same suspension as what the Yamaha YZ250F is running? I know a lot of guys praise this , and wanted to know what you guys think the difference may be?

Michael ( ML512 ) when are you scheduled to do a test ride on one of these? Some time in Sept I guess?
|
DownSouth
8/9/2015 10:01am
Yamaha still runs the SSS Kayaba which is a spring fork . PSF is an air fork.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2015 10:14am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2015 10:15am
jeffro503 wrote:
I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on this bike , and one thing I liked hearing was that the 250F switched...
I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on this bike , and one thing I liked hearing was that the 250F switched from the Showa stuff to the KYB PSF2 Front Fork / KYB rear shock. Along with I guess around 80 different internal motor changes. Not sure on the release date for these bikes , but it's something I'm interested in. Side note : I guess the 450 is sticking with the Showa stuff.

Quick question : is the KYB PSF2 Front Fork basically the same suspension as what the Yamaha YZ250F is running? I know a lot of guys praise this , and wanted to know what you guys think the difference may be?

Michael ( ML512 ) when are you scheduled to do a test ride on one of these? Some time in Sept I guess?
The RM-Z's PSF2 fork is similar to the unit that Honda is using on their CRF450R (other than a different system of adjusters). This is an air fork (Pneumatic-Air Spring Fork), while the Yamaha still features a twin-cartridge SSS spring fork.

Personally, I prefer the PSF1 fork.
jeffro503
8/9/2015 11:20am
ML , does the PSF1 mean single chamber and PSF2 mean twin chamber? And do you think with Suzuki making the switch the forks may be better or worse for setup?
Justin345
8/9/2015 11:48am
I believe the teams that are running the KYB air are using PSF1 set up vice the PSF2.

The Shop

gsxr6
8/9/2015 11:59am
It's an open bath fork (psf2.) Think early 90s tech. Cheap. Probably OK off road lol. Cost cutting move. The psf1 was more advanced....
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2015 12:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ML , does the PSF1 mean single chamber and PSF2 mean twin chamber? And do you think with Suzuki making the switch the forks may be...
ML , does the PSF1 mean single chamber and PSF2 mean twin chamber? And do you think with Suzuki making the switch the forks may be better or worse for setup?
PSF2 is actually based off an older open cartridge design and is less advanced when compared to PSF1.
jeffro503
8/9/2015 12:00pm
gsxr6 wrote:
It's an open bath fork (psf2.) Think early 90s tech. Cheap. Probably OK off road lol. Cost cutting move. The psf1 was more advanced....
Shit !
jeffro503
8/9/2015 12:01pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ML , does the PSF1 mean single chamber and PSF2 mean twin chamber? And do you think with Suzuki making the switch the forks may be...
ML512 wrote:
PSF2 is actually based off an older open cartridge design and is less advanced when compared to PSF1.
Shit again! Angry
Question
8/9/2015 12:07pm

Looks like the couple SSS I have to sell will find some non blue buyers Smile
jeffro503
8/9/2015 12:25pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
ML , what is your take on the forks on the 15' model? Do you think those Showa's may be better? I'll have FC do a total setup on whatever I get , but would be interested in your opinion on which could be set up better.
BobPA
8/9/2015 12:37pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ML , what is your take on the forks on the 15' model? Do you think those Showa's may be better? I'll have FC do a...
ML , what is your take on the forks on the 15' model? Do you think those Showa's may be better? I'll have FC do a total setup on whatever I get , but would be interested in your opinion on which could be set up better.
Why not just ride them and see what you think. Opinions about suspension setup, especially from people in the Internet, is all but useless.
bsharkey
8/9/2015 1:05pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on this bike , and one thing I liked hearing was that the 250F switched...

ML512 wrote:
The RM-Z's PSF2 fork is similar to the unit that Honda is using on their CRF450R (other than a different system of adjusters). This is an...
The RM-Z's PSF2 fork is similar to the unit that Honda is using on their CRF450R (other than a different system of adjusters). This is an air fork (Pneumatic-Air Spring Fork), while the Yamaha still features a twin-cartridge SSS spring fork.

Personally, I prefer the PSF1 fork.
sorry to change the subject but I heard charboneau is riding for Honda thru the pros. didn't you say he was getting dropped?
jeffro503
8/9/2015 1:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:
ML , what is your take on the forks on the 15' model? Do you think those Showa's may be better? I'll have FC do a...
BobPA wrote:
Why not just ride them and see what you think. Opinions about suspension setup, especially from people in the Internet, is all but useless.
I disagree but that's up to you. It depends on who you're actually getting the info from and if you trust them. Michael's is one of the ones I trust around here. Thanks for chiming in. Smile
tylermx967
8/9/2015 1:33pm
I THINK SUSUKI GOTS THE BEST SUSPENSIN THATS IN THE LITES BIKE AND THE FASTIST
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2015 2:17pm
jeffro503 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
My job is useless... SadUnsureBlushLaughing
pontakoj
8/9/2015 2:37pm
So whats the real difference between PSF 1 and PSF 2?
Is the CRF/KXF 450 13/14 PSF1 or 2?
jeffro503
8/9/2015 3:08pm
There are so many different types of suspension out there now days I get confused as hell about it.
8/9/2015 3:55pm
jeffro503 wrote:
There are so many different types of suspension out there now days I get confused as hell about it.
Me too but my YZ250 suspension was the best I have had. It might be old school...but it works.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/9/2015 6:10pm
tylermx967 wrote:
I THINK SUSUKI GOTS THE BEST SUSPENSIN THATS IN THE LITES BIKE AND THE FASTIST
I couldn't agree more !! WinkTongue
kiwifan
8/9/2015 10:38pm
I agree up to a point, bearing in mind Michael's weight, riding style, rider skill etc in mind of course. No one should ever think that because Michael says something is bad means its bad for everyone, or vice versa.

The problem with PSF-2's is that Honda got a lot of criticism for the PSF-1's for being too hard to setup, they change them to lessen that criticism, now riders (esp. at Michael's level and mine for that fact) don't like them as much...nothing that a good suspension tuner cant help with though (where most riders suspension ends up, good or bad reviews).
jeffro503
8/9/2015 10:47pm
kiwifan wrote:
I agree up to a point, bearing in mind Michael's weight, riding style, rider skill etc in mind of course. No one should ever think that...
I agree up to a point, bearing in mind Michael's weight, riding style, rider skill etc in mind of course. No one should ever think that because Michael says something is bad means its bad for everyone, or vice versa.

The problem with PSF-2's is that Honda got a lot of criticism for the PSF-1's for being too hard to setup, they change them to lessen that criticism, now riders (esp. at Michael's level and mine for that fact) don't like them as much...nothing that a good suspension tuner cant help with though (where most riders suspension ends up, good or bad reviews).
Thanks Kiwi. I guess what I was trying to get at was , if these newer forks had some good potential if someone was to slap a grand into them , compared to the potential of other fork setups. Or is there just no helping them and they are gonna suck no matter what?
kiwifan
8/10/2015 12:20am
kiwifan wrote:
I agree up to a point, bearing in mind Michael's weight, riding style, rider skill etc in mind of course. No one should ever think that...

jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks Kiwi. I guess what I was trying to get at was , if these newer forks had some good potential if someone was to slap...
Thanks Kiwi. I guess what I was trying to get at was , if these newer forks had some good potential if someone was to slap a grand into them , compared to the potential of other fork setups. Or is there just no helping them and they are gonna suck no matter what?
I had mine done by FC...they are frigging good.

Post a reply to: So the 2016 RMZ250 went to KYB suspension?

The Latest