So...my first (and probably only) Hare scramble is in the books...

huck
11/30/2009 8:46am
Video is uploading...it says "over 3 hours remaining". You can totally see Kaw Rider in the fist corner, then me taking his line... lol

I'm pissed. It only recorded for 21 minutes, so it shows me JUST entering the tight stuff before it cuts off. I thought it would record for 2 hours....

Oh well.

I'll post the link when it's ready.
Motoxc
11/30/2009 8:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:12pm
You will be back!!

I did a 10 hour endurance race here in AZ on Sat and I as foolish enough to sign up for the ironman class. I am too old for stuff like that but I did it anyway. I finished 10th out of 18 teams and 1st in the ironman class. I probably ran 5th place OA for 2-3 hours until the teams started changing riders. I know that the winning team lapped me at least 8 times but Steve Hatch was on that team so I dont feel so bad. I have to work 50 hours a week also.
It is Monday and I am already forgetting the pain and remembering the fun. Anyone who has done a GS GP or endurance race, knows the pain that was involved.. But I had fun.

Off road racing is always more fun after the fact!
oldx
11/30/2009 11:50am
Good ride report. You will go again,once you ride one it gets to be a habit. More riding less standing around waiting for your next moto to start.
huck
11/30/2009 12:29pm
oldx wrote:
Good ride report. You will go again,once you ride one it gets to be a habit. More riding less standing around waiting for your next moto...
Good ride report. You will go again,once you ride one it gets to be a habit. More riding less standing around waiting for your next moto to start.
Yes, that was very nice. We got to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, get to the track unload...then ride.

When I got done I called my wife around 3:30 and told her I was done with my race, and she asked how long before the second moto. lol

I didn't like how long it took after the race for the awards and results to be posted. They said there is a "protest period" or something...

The Shop

Racer92
11/30/2009 12:41pm
huck wrote:
Yes, that was very nice. We got to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, get to the track unload...then ride. When I got done I called...
Yes, that was very nice. We got to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, get to the track unload...then ride.

When I got done I called my wife around 3:30 and told her I was done with my race, and she asked how long before the second moto. lol

I didn't like how long it took after the race for the awards and results to be posted. They said there is a "protest period" or something...

I never stick around for results, I load my ride and go home to start healing. LOL

Huck, you need to come run a TORCs race with me.
txmxer
11/30/2009 12:41pm
cool Huck. I told you the beer drinking was the ticket. The goal was to beat KW9 and your strategy worked.

hahaha

big congrats. It's tough to hang on for 2 hrs.
huck
11/30/2009 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:12pm
Here's the video...
Yes, I know I'm slow.
Yes, I know a lot of people passed me.
Yes, I know I suck.

Other than that, I had fun. It was raining the first lap...and I went pretty slow. My 2nd lap I passed a few guys, but this video cuts off right when we hit the tight stuff.

Enjoy...

huck
11/30/2009 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:12pm
MF-er... This son of a bitch let me load it for 3 hours...now I go to view it and it says it's too long...only 10 minutes is allowed. Fuckers!!

I'm going to try and edit it....
max911
11/30/2009 1:19pm
if you want to race a hard race go to an oma
those races make locals a walk in the park
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
11/30/2009 1:25pm
max911 wrote:
...which is why they'll never have any parking problems at OMA's. If they didn't co-sanction every race with a local series, they'd be lucky to draw 50 riders.

Sorry I didn't find you at the race, Huck. I was pretty busy Sunday before the race and never had a chance to wander the pits. Looking at the results, however, I must have seen both of you guys at some point when I was lapping you. Wink
Outsider
11/30/2009 1:53pm
Can you put the vid on Vital?
huck
11/30/2009 1:53pm
max911 wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
...which is why they'll never have any parking problems at OMA's. If they didn't co-sanction every race with a local series, they'd be lucky to draw...
...which is why they'll never have any parking problems at OMA's. If they didn't co-sanction every race with a local series, they'd be lucky to draw 50 riders.

Sorry I didn't find you at the race, Huck. I was pretty busy Sunday before the race and never had a chance to wander the pits. Looking at the results, however, I must have seen both of you guys at some point when I was lapping you. Wink
What class...name?
huck
11/30/2009 1:54pm
Outsider wrote:
Can you put the vid on Vital?
I'm converting it now...
kaw rider9
11/30/2009 2:09pm
txmxer wrote:
cool Huck. I told you the beer drinking was the ticket. The goal was to beat KW9 and your strategy worked. hahaha big congrats. It's tough...
cool Huck. I told you the beer drinking was the ticket. The goal was to beat KW9 and your strategy worked.

hahaha

big congrats. It's tough to hang on for 2 hrs.
The whole way there(all nine hours) I kept saying I was only going to have 3-5 beers. We took two cases and drank them both(Huck had his own beer). I can't complain though, the people there were great and I had a good time.

It's a damn shame I drank to much.. The track was really fun and for the most part, pretty easy. Next year I'll win our friendly wager!
huck
11/30/2009 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:12pm
I broke it into 3 videos...

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

kaw rider9
11/30/2009 5:52pm
Here's a few random shots we took..

DB Mikes' mule that we checked out the track on.....I'd like to be the first to say, the "mule" ride was one I'll never forget!!

Spenser's bike..

My bike..

Huck's bike..
Racer92
11/30/2009 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2009 6:03pm
Huck, dude you gotta quit riding in the center of the trail like that, you will take a beating doing that. When I race scrambles Im on the farthest outside edge I can get away with, lookin' for the smoothest line I can get.

Look at that dude on the first vid at 1:30, hes over on the edge haulin' it.
kwhite199
11/30/2009 6:39pm
It looks like you guys had a good time. Thanks for posting the videos! If I started training now, I might be able to race next year ..wait, no maybe not! Wink
captmoto
11/30/2009 6:42pm
I did my first back in 1997 at McClean Creek in Alberta, Canada. It was very tight and technical. I couldn't pass anyone because I couldn't see anywhere to pass. I was not used to getting bumped before I got passed. I was not used to muskeg and getting stuck in it about did me in. I could not process everything coming at me at once, roots, mud, rocks, logs, stumps, low branches and course markers all on a hillside. I would love to learn to ride that way but I would need a purpose built bike for it. Major props to the guys that can race in it.
Void Main
11/30/2009 6:49pm
kaw rider9 wrote:
Here's a few random shots we took.. DB Mikes' mule that we checked out the track on.....I'd like to be the first to say, the "mule"...
Here's a few random shots we took..

DB Mikes' mule that we checked out the track on.....I'd like to be the first to say, the "mule" ride was one I'll never forget!!

Spenser's bike..

My bike..

Huck's bike..
Spot the MXer's bike.

HINT: it's the one without the bark busters

I'm surprised you didn't break all your fingers. Smile See you guys at the Hill and Gully Summer Bummer Enduro in Indiana next year? I'll run pits for you. After this year I don't think I want to ride it again but the scenery near the end almost makes it worth it. Smile
mjskier
11/30/2009 6:51pm
huck wrote:
Here's the video... Yes, I know I'm slow. Yes, I know a lot of people passed me. Yes, I know I suck. Other than that, I...
Here's the video...
Yes, I know I'm slow.
Yes, I know I suck.

Other than that, I had fun. It was raining the first lap...and I went pretty slow. My 2nd lap I passed a few guys, but this video cuts off right when we hit the tight stuff.

Enjoy...

Yes, I know I'm slow.
Yes, I know I suck.

You suck at starts too Wink
Is it dead engine starts? Our local HS has live engine starts but you need to start off of the bike.
swizcore
11/30/2009 6:51pm
Awesome, looks fun Huck. I raced a HS in '90 in Wolverine Michigan; I'd like to again, it was fun.
Void Main
11/30/2009 6:53pm
It says it was removed because it was too long. Why the hell do they even allow an upload that is longer than 10 minutes if they aren't going to show it? The least they could do is automatically cut it to 10 minutes.
Coyote
11/30/2009 7:01pm
user760a wrote:
sounds like you did well...maybe you shopuld consider doing more scrambles? I always thought off road racing would be boring until last spring when a friend...
sounds like you did well...maybe you shopuld consider doing more scrambles?

I always thought off road racing would be boring until last spring when a friend talked me into doing the Steele Creek GNCC. Man what a riot....it is like a 2 hour MX race in the woods. I loved it. I raced the Big Buck GNCC the next weekend and a bunch of local races all summer long...even got my first AA class win a few months ago.

what I have noticed about hare scrambles in my first year (and with a motocross background) is that you never really know what it is going to be like at any given race until you are actually racing. Some tracks are an absolute riot and others totally suck....all depending on the terrain, elevation change, the moisture content of the dirt and most of all the layout of the track. I am happy to say that most of them are really fun in my area. every once in a while there is a crappy four and a half mile loop laid out on featureless terrain with countless extremely tight sections to make up for the lack of track length...lame

and another thing, once you get in shape race 2 hours, a 20 min spring race on a MX track seems very easy
No worries, think about the ISDE, 6 days of riding, racing all frikkin day!! Ascerbis Rally in Nevada 6 days 4-500 miles a day in sweltering heat in NevadaEvilSick
7I3N
11/30/2009 7:16pm
Good race reports and videos. Congrats on surviving it. I tried off road for the first time last year, and like you found out it was not what I expected either. Thanks to the rain you missed out on what has been the hardest adjustment for me…the dust. After years of moto its bad enough trying to haul ass on unfamiliar terrain, but doing it blind is worse. It is addicting though. You’ll do it again.

max911
11/30/2009 7:23pm
max911 wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
...which is why they'll never have any parking problems at OMA's. If they didn't co-sanction every race with a local series, they'd be lucky to draw...

yea thats why Paul Whibley and Jimmy Jarrett race them

Post a reply to: So...my first (and probably only) Hare scramble is in the books...

The Latest