So lets end the 2 vs 4 stroke argument...

MX7MX
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:47pm
You have die hard 2 strokers, most are the older guys racing, because thats what their used to. Some people have had good luck with 4 strokes(mine went 4 years, till the day I sold it with ZERO problems), others have had horrible luck(which cost them ALOT of cash.) The way I see it, everyone wants it cc for cc, how is that possible, when they make power completely different? Even if its cc for cc, isnt it still apples to oranges? Example...I was watching a road racing event on speed the other evening. The top 5 were....Yamaha R6, Suzuki GSXR 600, ZX6....and then two that I thought was weird....you had an Aprillia RSV 1000 and the new Buell 1250(?)

That got me thinking about the 2 versus 4. It was virutally dead even. But it was in how they made the power that made it even. I was amazed seeing little inline 4 600's running with 1000 cc v twins. Its in how they make the power. CC for CC, the v twins would have been DESTROYED. So what solves this fight, you say cc for cc, but does that really make it EVEN? You say straight up, if there is any advantage for either, how is it straight up?

So we can do this.....either keep it all 4 stroke, all 2 stroke, or make a 2 stroke compariable in output to that of a 4 stroke with the same output. It will never be CC for CC and be even if powers made differently. This argument reminds me of chevy vs ford, no matter what, you will have people who's died hard to either chevy or ford and won't switch brand no matter what. This thread wasnt bashing either. Though I'm sure the attack will be on me(here comes race in 3....2.....1...) So bash away!
|
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
7/22/2009 9:59am
At the end of the day, regardless what kind of bike, Im pretty stoked to be riding it. Even if it was a Trail 70 or KDX 100 with injection and a light.
jtomasik
7/22/2009 10:11am
Again, the problem is that many of the opinions expressed today about 2-strokes are based upon the environment that was created out of severely out of balance rules. Tweaking a 250 smoker to run against twice the displacement will only bring out weaknesses. To sit and say, "2-strokes are inherently worse in power delivery" is simply not true. To say, "my 450 is bulletproof where I'd be changing rings and cylinders in my 2-stroke" is also nonsense, because that person is comparing the tweaked 250 to the 450.

There was an article floating around here about a company who talked of making a 450cc two stroke that put out a horsepower curve comparable to the 450cc four stroke. What was cool was that 2-stroke made what appeared to be about 50% more torque. And, there'd be little doubt the smoker would be less complex and lighter.

Until we get those rule changes to even the playing field, the arguments will continue. And, it appears the manufacturers are in no rush to provide less expensive 2-strokes to the marketplace.
JW381
7/22/2009 10:20am
Ive been saying it's apples to oranges for a while now. What I don't get is why we can't have both.

Well no I take that back, I do get it. It's because we, as the consumers, bought into the 4-stroke craze and helped shut the 2-stroke sales down. Hopefully now that we have realized what we have done, there can be room for advanced, fast, smooth and expensive 4-stroke racers, and light, nimble, simple, exciting, and less costly 2-stroke racers. In a dream world
CR250Rider
7/22/2009 10:36am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2009 10:39am

horsepower = torque x RPM

RPM = wear

wear = $$$

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/22/2009 10:39am
MX7MX wrote:
You have die hard 2 strokers, most are the older guys racing, because thats what their used to. Some people have had good luck with 4...
You have die hard 2 strokers, most are the older guys racing, because thats what their used to. Some people have had good luck with 4 strokes(mine went 4 years, till the day I sold it with ZERO problems), others have had horrible luck(which cost them ALOT of cash.) The way I see it, everyone wants it cc for cc, how is that possible, when they make power completely different? Even if its cc for cc, isnt it still apples to oranges? Example...I was watching a road racing event on speed the other evening. The top 5 were....Yamaha R6, Suzuki GSXR 600, ZX6....and then two that I thought was weird....you had an Aprillia RSV 1000 and the new Buell 1250(?)

That got me thinking about the 2 versus 4. It was virutally dead even. But it was in how they made the power that made it even. I was amazed seeing little inline 4 600's running with 1000 cc v twins. Its in how they make the power. CC for CC, the v twins would have been DESTROYED. So what solves this fight, you say cc for cc, but does that really make it EVEN? You say straight up, if there is any advantage for either, how is it straight up?

So we can do this.....either keep it all 4 stroke, all 2 stroke, or make a 2 stroke compariable in output to that of a 4 stroke with the same output. It will never be CC for CC and be even if powers made differently. This argument reminds me of chevy vs ford, no matter what, you will have people who's died hard to either chevy or ford and won't switch brand no matter what. This thread wasnt bashing either. Though I'm sure the attack will be on me(here comes race in 3....2.....1...) So bash away!
You suggesting there shouldn't be an attack on you is about like being surprised that you got your ass beat for showing up at a NAACP meeting wearing a white cape over your head and towing a burning cross behind you. You earned the attack, and no one feels sorry for you.

There are loads of opinions on this board, most of which are able to voice them in an intelligent manner. You've had maybe 4 intelligent posts (yes, this could be considered one of them), while the remaining 430+ have been less than worthless. Maybe if you changed that ratio, you'd be taken seriously. But I don't think you care, instead you're here just to be a pain in the ass. That's your choice (until Guy clicks you).

As for your post, there's never going to be a way to make it 100% even, but if it fosters better racing, lowers the cost and sound level, while increasing the number of participants, then we all win. There's no doubt that going cc for cc in the small engines will result in no 4 strokes in those classes- they cannot compete. In the open class (251-500), I actually think that thumpers would outnumber the pingers because HP is not an issue at that displacement, negating the 2T advantage. In the 250 class, there would be benefits and advantages for both. The only way to find out is to run them, as they have successfully, in the amateur ranks.
ridge
7/22/2009 11:09am
MX7MX wrote:
You have die hard 2 strokers, most are the older guys racing, because thats what their used to. Some people have had good luck with 4...

You suggesting there shouldn't be an attack on you is about like being surprised that you got your ass beat for showing up at a NAACP...
You suggesting there shouldn't be an attack on you is about like being surprised that you got your ass beat for showing up at a NAACP meeting wearing a white cape over your head and towing a burning cross behind you. You earned the attack, and no one feels sorry for you.

There are loads of opinions on this board, most of which are able to voice them in an intelligent manner. You've had maybe 4 intelligent posts (yes, this could be considered one of them), while the remaining 430+ have been less than worthless. Maybe if you changed that ratio, you'd be taken seriously. But I don't think you care, instead you're here just to be a pain in the ass. That's your choice (until Guy clicks you).

As for your post, there's never going to be a way to make it 100% even, but if it fosters better racing, lowers the cost and sound level, while increasing the number of participants, then we all win. There's no doubt that going cc for cc in the small engines will result in no 4 strokes in those classes- they cannot compete. In the open class (251-500), I actually think that thumpers would outnumber the pingers because HP is not an issue at that displacement, negating the 2T advantage. In the 250 class, there would be benefits and advantages for both. The only way to find out is to run them, as they have successfully, in the amateur ranks.
I agree with you about MX7MX and hopefully this is a start to some cooler posts from him.

I've been thinking about your big displacement theory and I'm wondering what a 300cc or 350cc 2 stroke would be like against the 450F. You make a lot of sense about useable power but I think weight plays a big role in things as well.

I'm still faster on a 250 2 stroke but I think it's mainly because I'm not strong enough to manhandle the 450F or the torque it provides.
andymoto
7/22/2009 12:14pm
We're lucky people to have the ability and choice to ride a dirtbike and where to ride(that part continues to shrink sadly).

I may favor a 2 stroker over a 4, but it's all about gettin' on that bad motorscooter and ride.

Ride to live; Live to ride.

Toste
Fantasy
794th
7/22/2009 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:03am
On the pro and National Am scene, I think trying to come up with some "formula" class that combines 2 & 4 strokes together would be a mistake. No matter how much tweaking there is in the rules, one will have a clear advantage over the other, and the less competitive bike will cease development and fall out of favor, eventually becoming no longer available to buy. I think there is still a large market for 2 strokes out there, but people want to ride what the pros are riding, and if they're going to spend thousands of dollars on a new bike, they understandably expect more than BNG. So I feel like the best thing for consumer choice would be to keep 2 and 4 strokes separate. Maybe make the 250 class a dedicated 2 stroke class (and make the 450 class 4 stroke only)? If that wouldn't keep interest and development in the 2 strokes going at a high level, then I don't know what would.

Realistically, I don't expect any big rule changes to keep the 2 stroke alive. Not to go all "conspiracy theory", but it's pretty obvious the OEMs want them dead. Less parts, less failure points, less need for professional repairs, etc. I think it's a pretty short-sighted business direction they have going, but we shall see how it all plays out.
mxtryon231
7/22/2009 12:15pm
Tiki wrote:
At the end of the day, regardless what kind of bike, Im pretty stoked to be riding it. Even if it was a Trail 70 or...
At the end of the day, regardless what kind of bike, Im pretty stoked to be riding it. Even if it was a Trail 70 or KDX 100 with injection and a light.
amen..

Some of the best times of my life were on 2 strokes when I was younger, and today My 450's are just as fun to ride..

xr 50, ttr 125's, YZ125's, Cr250's, and now crf 450's.. they were and are still all fun in my book.

It will never be an argument worth having because I believe it is all personal preference.. Put all 40 guys in next week's 450 main on 250 smokers, and we would still have the same guys getting top 10.. it would just sound and smell a lot better! Tongue
Lightning78
7/22/2009 12:23pm
You know what's funny is that I have heard some Mfg's wanted to settle on a 450cc displacement rather than 400 because it sounded better......strange but true. As for 2 vs 4 it will never die and I do believe Mfg's are taking a second look at 2 strokes....first of all bring the 125 up to 150 and the 250 can go up to 300 or 325? then run them even. In NO WAY would a 450cc 2 stroke be a good idea....they went awa with them from racing back in 93 because they made way too much power for the tracks.

As for the weight issue of a 4 stroke why are some of you pushing to get a 450 v twin in competition? The bikes are already overweight as it is and adding an extra cylinder would only increase the weight issues.
Rooster
7/22/2009 12:27pm
You know what's funny is that I have heard some Mfg's wanted to settle on a 450cc displacement rather than 400 because it sounded better......strange but...
You know what's funny is that I have heard some Mfg's wanted to settle on a 450cc displacement rather than 400 because it sounded better......strange but true. As for 2 vs 4 it will never die and I do believe Mfg's are taking a second look at 2 strokes....first of all bring the 125 up to 150 and the 250 can go up to 300 or 325? then run them even. In NO WAY would a 450cc 2 stroke be a good idea....they went awa with them from racing back in 93 because they made way too much power for the tracks.

As for the weight issue of a 4 stroke why are some of you pushing to get a 450 v twin in competition? The bikes are already overweight as it is and adding an extra cylinder would only increase the weight issues.
Aprilia's twin is lighter and smaller than Honda's single at the same displacement.
MX7MX
7/22/2009 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:03am
MX7MX wrote:

You suggesting there shouldn't be an attack on you is about like being surprised that you got your ass beat for showing up at a NAACP...

well I except any and all attacks, because at the end of the day, this is a "fun" message board and trust me, I don't take anything personal. Because in the end, I couldnt care any less what the people on this board thinks of me. But this debate I'm sure will go on about 2 vs 4. But i kindov agree with toste about keeping them seperate would be about the only legitimate structure. I dont' so much about 250 class being 250 class, because James a couple years back was smoking EVERYBODY but the goat who all were on 450's on a 250T. So what structures do we go?

Its been proven in the amateur ranks that the 250F can and does beat the 250T and vice versa. So do we put the 450's in an "open" class that we do not have and watch them go the way of the old 500's? Do we had a 125 class where there is NO 4 strokes that are able to compete cc for cc? Do we just have one class where 4 stroke are alive, which is the 250 class structure you guys want? The closest to even, is the structure now, yes bikes are not the same, but again that goes back to how they make their power, but as far as dyno results etc. they are nearly the same.

So it looks to me that until they make the power the same, there will never be a day where they are even without one side bitching about the other. Started with 4 strokes, 2 strokes came along and sent the 4's packin, new technology came along and sent the 2 strokes packin. Now we are back to square one. What needs to happen, which won't(wishful thinking I'm sure by ALL of us) is that a completely new bikes be made that display the same characteristics on a track, not just dyno results and output.
ninety3
7/22/2009 12:44pm
Rooster wrote:
Aprilia's twin is lighter and smaller than Honda's single at the same displacement.
Wait a minute, so you're saying

This bike is lighter and smaller

Than this bike ?
Toste
Fantasy
794th
7/22/2009 12:53pm
Rooster wrote:
ninety3 wrote:
Wait a minute, so you're saying This bike is lighter and smaller [img]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/MXV-left-side.jpg[/img] Than this bike ? [img]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2010-honda-crf250r-2.jpg[/img]

Than this bike ?
I'm not sure how or why, but it is definitely much quieter. Laughing
7/22/2009 6:59pm
when your talking about moto out on the track its 90% rider its that freakin simple.
motogrady
7/22/2009 7:05pm

screw that making allowances.

run 'em straight up and get rid of the loser............................
R-acer
7/22/2009 7:16pm
I Love 4 strokes!!
only 2 stroke left in my house is a weed wacker/trimmer... and that is getting replaced with a honda 4 stroke version when it dies. Wink
Rupert X
7/22/2009 7:23pm

Bummer, seizure and damage to my 4 stroke motor = $2874. 98

Bummer, seizure and damage to my 2 stroke motor = $589.76

Bummer.

What to do with $2300.00 American ? ALL this !

'74 CB360 Honda, five tickets to "Hangover", a Noleen YZ360 basket case, three and a half cases of Yamalube, two gallons of WD-40, a Jofa mouthguard, a seven oz. bottle of hai-karate spritzer (say it with a lisp), a cigar box of assorted metric heim-joints, two stuffed gila monsters, anonymous large hooker of unknown origin, dowel pin (3), hoof print, girlie magazine, three live rounds, twin pipes for a KLX-110, twelve pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (yuk!), crappy grips for a mountain bike,marginally molested magazines of manifested moto-memorabilia , Gold's soothing foot powder and a bottle of hooch.

It's not the price of the bikes, it's the rebuilds.
jndmx
7/22/2009 7:28pm
Rupert X wrote:
Bummer, seizure and damage to my 4 stroke motor = $2874. 98 Bummer, seizure and damage to my 2 stroke motor = $589.76 Bummer. What to...

Bummer.

'74 CB360 Honda, five tickets to "Hangover", a Noleen YZ360 basket case, three and a half cases of Yamalube, two gallons of WD-40, a Jofa mouthguard, a seven oz. bottle of hai-karate spritzer (say it with a lisp), a cigar box of assorted metric heim-joints, two stuffed gila monsters, anonymous large hooker of unknown origin, dowel pin (3), hoof print, girlie magazine, three live rounds, twin pipes for a KLX-110, twelve pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (yuk!), crappy grips for a mountain bike,marginally molested magazines of manifested moto-memorabilia , Gold's soothing foot powder and a bottle of hooch.

Just like a drug dealer Rup.....they get you on the come back.
MX7MX
7/22/2009 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2009 7:40pm
3 ruined valves, cylinder sleeved, radiator fixed, suspension redone, $620 bucks, true story! 02 YZ250F! Feels good for it to be so cheap, doesnt it rup?? I saved virtually the same amount as you. OH YEAH, forgot to mention, when resleaving, made it a yz262F Wiseco high comp piston, Iron sleave, redid my rear suspension-shot seal.
MX7MX
7/22/2009 7:38pm
dealer was going to charge 2600 to fix. Got a performance shop here in AL to do it!
jtomasik
7/22/2009 7:55pm
MX7MX wrote:
3 ruined valves, cylinder sleeved, radiator fixed, suspension redone, $620 bucks, true story! 02 YZ250F! Feels good for it to be so cheap, doesnt it rup...
3 ruined valves, cylinder sleeved, radiator fixed, suspension redone, $620 bucks, true story! 02 YZ250F! Feels good for it to be so cheap, doesnt it rup?? I saved virtually the same amount as you. OH YEAH, forgot to mention, when resleaving, made it a yz262F Wiseco high comp piston, Iron sleave, redid my rear suspension-shot seal.
Yeah, but your bike is still underpowered compared to the stock 2-stroke 250.

Grinning

ASH510
7/22/2009 8:17pm
Rupert X wrote:
Bummer, seizure and damage to my 4 stroke motor = $2874. 98 Bummer, seizure and damage to my 2 stroke motor = $589.76 Bummer. What to...

Bummer.

jndmx wrote:
Just like a drug dealer Rup.....they get you on the come back.
this is why i gonna go 2 pinnger next go around
MX7MX
7/22/2009 8:34pm
funny how in the amateur ranks the 250F's are doing just fine against the 250T's JT!
CR250Rider
7/22/2009 8:42pm
MX7MX wrote:
funny how in the amateur ranks the 250F's are doing just fine against the 250T's JT!
What are the manufacturers scared of then?

"...four-strokes are only competitive because they were given an enormous displacement advantage back in 1998."
MXA. 3/11/2008

wardy
7/22/2009 8:44pm
Rooster wrote:
ninety3 wrote:
Wait a minute, so you're saying This bike is lighter and smaller [img]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/MXV-left-side.jpg[/img] Than this bike ? [img]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2010-honda-crf250r-2.jpg[/img]

Than this bike ?
Toste wrote:
I'm not sure how or why, but it is definitely much quieter. Laughing
difference is

the aprilla (if it's a 2 cylinder) got banned by AMA amatuer a few years ago. for what reason who the hell knows. so to compare them in a race on a track it can't be AMA?

hell maybe this is a rule that needs to go. not sure why that and the two wheel drive rules got passed a couple of years ago but smells to me like some one didn't want to have to compete with progress......guess thumpers are all they want to make.

but oh hell no.......that would be another million threads on how unfair two cylinders are verses one. blah blah blah. Amatuer racing rules for "strokes is fine." sooner then later they won't be building many or any 2 smokes and well then the point is mute.

give us something else to chat about into the next century.

klein8
7/22/2009 8:59pm
Back in the early 80's dirt track novices used 250 2 stoke machines , they were inexspensive and easlily obtainable in what was a very bad economy.In there infinite wisdom the AMA chose to replace these bikes with very expensive 500cc 4 strokes ,dirt track never recovered from this mistake.About this same time mx exploded in popularity partly due to the fact it was affordable .Motocross is a middle class sport and needs the middle class to survive! The middle class income can not afford what it takes to maintain a modern 4 stroke mx bike. If the manufactures can build a inexpensive 4 stroke that can be cheaply maintained , then by all means shit can the 2 stroke, until then all we have is history repeating itself! sorry about the rant.!
Void Main
7/22/2009 9:08pm
I just got home from the local races. The mini class was on the line to race and I saw a huge smoke cloud. They took off and this one bike was spewing this huge white cloud of smoke through the first 3 turns and came by the grandstands. Yep, it was a 4-stroke! Don't forget to vote in my poll in my signature.
RMZ819
7/23/2009 2:19am
MX7MX wrote:
The top level amateurs only ride the 250F's. Put two equal riders on each bike and the guy on the 2 stroke will destroy the 250F rider. Ozzy has said it on here and Jlaws 2 stroke transworld test proved it. I believe the Law was 4 seconds faster on the 2 stroke.
7/23/2009 5:27am
Top level amatuers, and I would assume a fair amout of pro's all get free bikes, or atleast steep discounts on them. I can bet you that the mfg's are telling them to ride the 250/450f's. I cant think of many riders who will walk away from a ride on a 4 stroke, just b/c they like or would rather ride a 2 stroke.

Look back at the beginning of this decade. Most riders were very reluctant to make the switch . The privateers were all switching though, as the increased displacement gave them an equal playing field against the factory bikes. Very few riders are capable of running a 450 to its max.. When Kevin windham showed up at the nationals in 03, Guys like Carmicheal have been quoted as saying they had to switch simply b/c the 250 wasnt as fast on some of the long straights at a few tracks. Even in SX, most of the riders continued to ride the smokers till the 06 season, when the 2 strokes started being phased out by the mfg's, so naturally they are going to put their riders on the machinery they want to sell.

Post a reply to: So lets end the 2 vs 4 stroke argument...

The Latest