So I guess we ride MX....because we are " Depressed " ? What the heck?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2014 10:43pm
So I get daily spam emails from WebMD and sometimes I go check out certain things on health and so forth. This article got sent to me this morning , so i went and checked it out.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/ss/slideshow-depression-myths?ecd=wnl_m…

Now I don't know about you guys , but this couldn't be further from the truth for me. The "Riding because I'm depressed " thing. I ride for many reasons and depression isn't one of them. In fact I would go so far to say that when I'm feeling a little down , riding my bike isn't something I want to go do. I just found it a little odd. What's your take on this?
|
Socket946
2/7/2014 10:56am
I didn't read the post, I'm drunk at 10am. But I ride and it lets me forget my stressful corporate life.
BAMX
2/7/2014 10:57am
This reminds me of college. I read this and realize that they have no idea what is really going on.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
2/7/2014 11:03am
So unless I missed something they didn't say "MX riding" they said "reckless behavior". So by what I've read in recent posts
that would seem to only apply to MA800. Laughing
TM
Bosco
2/7/2014 11:03am
Reminds me of something I read somewhere - what do you call a med student who just scrapes through every exam they ever take? Doctor.

The Shop

2/7/2014 11:10am
drinking and drugs. check.
reckless behavior. check.
angry and restless. check.

i don't know about being depressed, but quality of life is much higher when i'm riding a lot. If i'm feeling down getting on the bike is one of the best things i can do for my self. Who ever posted chose the picture doesn't know shit.
Stooperbike
2/7/2014 11:33am
A while ago I went through a depression of sorts (I think). At least that's what my shrink said. She pushed anti depressants and other meds but I just did not want to go down that road. She learned from me that riding moto was the best therapy, it was my coping mechanism. I have no idea, but I do know when I ride I feel pretty awesome and it makes life's other challenges easier to deal with. So now that have opened up...feel free to give me shit!
2/7/2014 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2014 5:58am
A while ago I went through a depression of sorts (I think). At least that's what my shrink said. She pushed anti depressants and other meds...
A while ago I went through a depression of sorts (I think). At least that's what my shrink said. She pushed anti depressants and other meds but I just did not want to go down that road. She learned from me that riding moto was the best therapy, it was my coping mechanism. I have no idea, but I do know when I ride I feel pretty awesome and it makes life's other challenges easier to deal with. So now that have opened up...feel free to give me shit!
While I haven't been on a bike in years I do & did get depressed when I'm NOT at a MX track.
IWreckALot
2/7/2014 1:22pm
A while ago I went through a depression of sorts (I think). At least that's what my shrink said. She pushed anti depressants and other meds...
Riding dirt bike and mountain bikes are the two things I can go do that absolutely takes my mind off of everything else in the world. Working out and hitting the weights help but that seems more temporary and doesn't last as long as riding. . . I guess it takes all of your focus to ride and doesn't leave anymore "bandwidth" (I hate that word by the way) to think about anything else.
ktm212
2/7/2014 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2014 1:31pm
the only from of depression i get from MX is losing.. and snow on the ground... and winter..... and being hurt...... and not being able to ride........ did i mention losing......... am i depressed?!?!
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
2/7/2014 1:28pm
moto in general gets me high...not down at all
velocitygear
2/7/2014 1:30pm
Depression = Winter/snow and not being able to ride until Spring! That, my friend, is DEPRESSION!!
Barrett57
2/7/2014 1:32pm
Riding a motocross bike on a day when you feel in the zone is such an awesome feeling, as far from depression as you can get.
DA498
2/7/2014 1:40pm
.I guess TP199 is very depressed Wink No moto = depressed
VET176
2/7/2014 1:45pm
Stooper, I'm sure no-one on here would give you shit about your depression mate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Like you I have suffered from depression, and to be honest I still do to a degree even today. I can tell you guys that the only thing that gets me through it is moto! It gives me something to look forward to even when rides are months away. And when I'm riding/racing I am in my happy zone. Better than an anti-depressants!

Funny my shrink said the same thing about focussing on something you really enjoy in life. Good advice I say.
Ashleymx
2/7/2014 2:01pm
Just a bad choice of pics, probably by someone that has absolutely no idea what motocross is and that its an athletic sport.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
2/7/2014 2:19pm
When I get down or irritable my girlfriend tells me to go riding.She tells I come home a much better person.
I guess that's why she surprised me with a bike last Christmas.
When I have a helmet on I am usually smiling.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/7/2014 2:21pm
I always thought it was for the adrenaline.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
2/7/2014 2:29pm
GuyB wrote:
Natures antidepressant
2/7/2014 2:33pm
I get depressed if I have not been riding much. My wife encourages me to go riding as much as possible because she knows how good it is for me mentally and physically. A bunch of my buddies have been riding more and getting new bikes lately, so I guess you could say I'm a pretty happy dude right now! Cool
ando
2/7/2014 2:36pm
I think you're reading too much into it...
98cr250r
2/7/2014 2:49pm
Socket946 wrote:
I didn't read the post, I'm drunk at 10am. But I ride and it lets me forget my stressful corporate life.
I didn't read the post either, and I don't get drunk... But riding clears my head of work 'stuff'. Go for a quick ride instead of lunch in the middle of the day, and it feels like a new day when I get back...
jeffro503
2/7/2014 6:38pm
I hear what you guys are saying.....and it does make more sense to me now. I don't get down to often but when I do I usually can't get motivated to go riding. Honestly......I may of missed 1 - 2 days of riding ( as far back as I can remember ) because I was feeling depressed I guess? But 99,999% of the time....I have my riding days planned in advance and I'm all jacked up thinking about it......so I couldn't possibly get "down".

Good input though guys....made me think about it a little differently.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
2/7/2014 6:44pm
GuyB wrote:
Yep.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug, and very addicting Smile
Brent
2/7/2014 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2014 6:51pm
Just another wannabe expert spewing "content" so they can get this weeks paycheck. Gotta fill those blank web pages somehow.
Frodad78
2/7/2014 7:33pm
VET176 wrote:
Stooper, I'm sure no-one on here would give you shit about your depression mate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Like you I have suffered from depression...
Stooper, I'm sure no-one on here would give you shit about your depression mate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Like you I have suffered from depression, and to be honest I still do to a degree even today. I can tell you guys that the only thing that gets me through it is moto! It gives me something to look forward to even when rides are months away. And when I'm riding/racing I am in my happy zone. Better than an anti-depressants!

Funny my shrink said the same thing about focussing on something you really enjoy in life. Good advice I say.
I think we've all dealt with shit before and Moto definitely takes you to a good place.

Some people refer to Anxiety or Depression as a life lived in control of the mind or the ego. The ego likes to take us into the past to regret what we did, depression or into the future as to what might happen, anxiety. Rooting yourself in the present moment is a Buddhist practice that happens to be a byproduct of motocross.

Our focus when riding is purely in the present moment so we don't wad ourselves up but it can free you from your worries which it pretty bad ass if you ask me.
me_da_racer
2/7/2014 7:58pm
Don't take this lightly. True most of us are not, but I have a buddy who struggles with it and when it is bothering him he does really stupid stuff on his bike without any care.
JeepnMike
2/7/2014 10:43pm
I get depressed if I [u]have not[/u] been riding much. My wife encourages me to go riding as much as possible because she knows how good...
I get depressed if I have not been riding much. My wife encourages me to go riding as much as possible because she knows how good it is for me mentally and physically. A bunch of my buddies have been riding more and getting new bikes lately, so I guess you could say I'm a pretty happy dude right now! Cool
Funny true story that made me chuckle after reading your post. If I get edgy and short and appear depressed, my wife makes straight away certain that my loins are satisfied. LOL. I get edgy about every 2 days, thank god I married a good woman Smile

Now if it were riding.. I don't think she would be so fast to urge me to run off and spend a weekend riding.. She would be stuck with the kids without my help which is a heck of a lot more work. Good thing I am a simple man.

Post a reply to: So I guess we ride MX....because we are " Depressed " ? What the heck?

The Latest