Side number plate graphics peeling

redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
Not sure if this would be the proper forum to ask this, if not please move it where it should be. Thanks.
On to my question, I recently had new side number plate graphics installed on my bike. The graphics look awesome and are exactly what I was looking for so I don't want it to seem like I am complaining about them. I had the graphics company(I prefer to keep the company name private as I don't believe it is an issue with their product) install the graphics on their new side number plates for the bike. After a few rides the right number plate began to peel off on the side closest to the front of the bike. I was able to stick it back down but now the adhesive has worn away and what is left has dirt and sand on it and won't stick. It is obviously coming from my boots rubbing on that corner as my boot has sticky adhesive on it.
Has anyone had this problem with the side plate graphics on their bike or heard of that happening? Any ideas or suggestions on how to maybe prevent that from happening with my new side plate graphics when they arrive? Thanks guys!
|
IceMan446
8/21/2016 6:38pm
Use a heat gun on the graphics before you ride with them next time. Has always helped keep the graphics stuck to the plastics.

Also, make sure there aren't any sharp points where the graphics change directions, if so, cut them so they are rounded.

mxb2
8/21/2016 6:40pm
Trim them to the top of the side plate bolt. Lowest bolt.
8/21/2016 6:46pm
You could always use some grip tape over the top of the graphics it would hold them down and help grip the bike.
Rotaholic
8/21/2016 6:52pm
It means your holding on with your legs and that's a good thing, you can use clear nail polish along that edge to keep it from happening

The Shop

mx621
8/21/2016 7:01pm
Happens to all my backgrounds right away. Just part of the game.
Elbows
Fantasy
968th
8/21/2016 7:25pm
I always figured it was the heat from the exhaust that caused it to come loose?
redrider_714
Fantasy
2285th
8/21/2016 7:33pm
Rotaholic wrote:
It means your holding on with your legs and that's a good thing, you can use clear nail polish along that edge to keep it from...
It means your holding on with your legs and that's a good thing, you can use clear nail polish along that edge to keep it from happening
I've heard of the finger nail polish trick, was something I was considering trying. Also was considering the grip tape. Hopefully that will help.
rrjr
8/21/2016 11:52pm
You paid the graphics company extra money to install them on new side plates they should last more than a few rides.

If a few rides means 2 or 3, I would contact them and ask them for advice. Any reputable company would replace them or at least give you a good discount on a new set.

Now if a few rides means 7 to 10 with a couple of tip overs and several blasts from a pressure washer you're on your own.
PFitzG38
8/22/2016 12:41am
rrjr wrote:
You paid the graphics company extra money to install them on new side plates they should last more than a few rides. If a few rides...
You paid the graphics company extra money to install them on new side plates they should last more than a few rides.

If a few rides means 2 or 3, I would contact them and ask them for advice. Any reputable company would replace them or at least give you a good discount on a new set.

Now if a few rides means 7 to 10 with a couple of tip overs and several blasts from a pressure washer you're on your own.
What graphics co will replace graphics if they wear out on the first ride? I do know DeCal Works (my go to company) will give a steep discount if you reorder within 90 days and don't change the design though.

There is no way of preventing immediate wear unless you have in-mold graphics.

My Tech8's didn't have a problem. My SG12's tear that shit up. You just trim it away.

Do you really think all the bikes you see at a Nat or SX don't get the graphics changed every week?
PFitzG38
8/22/2016 12:54am
Not sure if this would be the proper forum to ask this, if not please move it where it should be. Thanks. On to my question...
Not sure if this would be the proper forum to ask this, if not please move it where it should be. Thanks.
On to my question, I recently had new side number plate graphics installed on my bike. The graphics look awesome and are exactly what I was looking for so I don't want it to seem like I am complaining about them. I had the graphics company(I prefer to keep the company name private as I don't believe it is an issue with their product) install the graphics on their new side number plates for the bike. After a few rides the right number plate began to peel off on the side closest to the front of the bike. I was able to stick it back down but now the adhesive has worn away and what is left has dirt and sand on it and won't stick. It is obviously coming from my boots rubbing on that corner as my boot has sticky adhesive on it.
Has anyone had this problem with the side plate graphics on their bike or heard of that happening? Any ideas or suggestions on how to maybe prevent that from happening with my new side plate graphics when they arrive? Thanks guys!
I hate that, I have a set that has worn really well with my old Tech8's. After 2 or 3 rides with my new SG12's I can tell nothing would withstand the abuse.

The best way to avoid that is to make sure you don't ride your bike for at least a 48 hours. You also need to cure them, you can use a hair dryer but I've had better luck by setting them out in the sun or in a hot car and stick down any spots that come up asap.

The spot your talking about you pretty much just have to trim it away and round all the sharp edges - The sooner you do it the less it will peel.

Other spots you can clean the dirt out and reapply a heavy duty contact cement (3M makes different sprays in varying tackiness) let it tack up then push it back down.

Post a reply to: Side number plate graphics peeling

The Latest