Showa SFF TAC front end traction

LoopMyLarry
Edited Date/Time 4/5/2016 12:27am
Hey guys. I have a 2015 KX450 and i'm struggling with front end traction on the bike. In stock form, the first inch or so of travel was very stiff and harsh and i felt like i had to tip toe around corners, and overall had little confidence in laying the bike over in corners. The rest of the action felt pretty good past that first inch of travel.

After getting the forks rebuilt and revalved by a well known California suspension company, that first inch of travel was a little more plush, but still harsher than it should be. Elsewhere, the fork is fantastic.

It's super noticeable and extremely frustrating that i don't have confidence in the front end traction. I feel that my corner speed is effected because of it.

I've tried a number of things to try to fix it:

Rear Sag set at 105mm - This was recommended.
Lower tire pressure to 10psi (normally run 11.5-12.0) - helps a little
Slide clamps down in the forks - the frond end knifes in corners and i get headshake at speed
Few clicks softer on compression damping - front end dives under braking
Few clicks harder on rebound damping - Little improvement, but theres a tendency for the front end to fly high on jumps.

I've ridden the 2015 and 2016 YZ450f back to back with my bike, and its such a huge difference. The Yamaha just has so much front end traction in comparison, so much that I'm really thinking about getting rid of the kawi. Its a night and day difference!

Anyone else struggling with front end traction with the Showa SFF TAC fork? If not, what is your secret?
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/28/2016 1:57pm
Hey guys. I have a 2015 KX450 and i'm struggling with front end traction on the bike. In stock form, the first inch or so of...
Hey guys. I have a 2015 KX450 and i'm struggling with front end traction on the bike. In stock form, the first inch or so of travel was very stiff and harsh and i felt like i had to tip toe around corners, and overall had little confidence in laying the bike over in corners. The rest of the action felt pretty good past that first inch of travel.

After getting the forks rebuilt and revalved by a well known California suspension company, that first inch of travel was a little more plush, but still harsher than it should be. Elsewhere, the fork is fantastic.

It's super noticeable and extremely frustrating that i don't have confidence in the front end traction. I feel that my corner speed is effected because of it.

I've tried a number of things to try to fix it:

Rear Sag set at 105mm - This was recommended.
Lower tire pressure to 10psi (normally run 11.5-12.0) - helps a little
Slide clamps down in the forks - the frond end knifes in corners and i get headshake at speed
Few clicks softer on compression damping - front end dives under braking
Few clicks harder on rebound damping - Little improvement, but theres a tendency for the front end to fly high on jumps.

I've ridden the 2015 and 2016 YZ450f back to back with my bike, and its such a huge difference. The Yamaha just has so much front end traction in comparison, so much that I'm really thinking about getting rid of the kawi. Its a night and day difference!

Anyone else struggling with front end traction with the Showa SFF TAC fork? If not, what is your secret?
What air pressure in each chamber are you running? I'd recommend going up in the TAC/Balance chamber by 5-10psi.
LoopMyLarry
3/28/2016 3:02pm
ML512 wrote:
What air pressure in each chamber are you running? I'd recommend going up in the TAC/Balance chamber by 5-10psi.
I'm 190-195lbs naked, and I run 175 inner/10 outer/185 balance on tracks with small jumps, and 180/10/190 on tracks with bigger hits.
brimx153
3/28/2016 3:05pm
you sure that the forks arent to soft .and your riding in the mid stroke the whole time .gives the feeling of really harsh forks and front end knifing in the turns ,sometimes going harder on comp will make the forks feel softer in the first part .
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/28/2016 4:23pm
brimx153 wrote:
you sure that the forks arent to soft .and your riding in the mid stroke the whole time .gives the feeling of really harsh forks and...
you sure that the forks arent to soft .and your riding in the mid stroke the whole time .gives the feeling of really harsh forks and front end knifing in the turns ,sometimes going harder on comp will make the forks feel softer in the first part .
This could be it. Remember, MORE pressure in the balance chamber = SOFTER during the initial stroke. So if you want to try making the first few inches plusher by making them stiffer, you have to release pressure. Go softer to make them stiffer which makes them feel softer. Haha, try not to lose your mind about that like I am about to do! Try running the same pressure as your main chamber and see what it does.

Also, don't forget there are also compression and rebound adjusters on those forks. I'd be using those for the tracks with the bigger or smaller jumps. Use the pressure settings as a baseline for your body weight and overall speed.

The Shop

LoopMyLarry
3/28/2016 4:33pm
Falcon wrote:
This could be it. Remember, MORE pressure in the balance chamber = SOFTER during the initial stroke. So if you want to try making the first...
This could be it. Remember, MORE pressure in the balance chamber = SOFTER during the initial stroke. So if you want to try making the first few inches plusher by making them stiffer, you have to release pressure. Go softer to make them stiffer which makes them feel softer. Haha, try not to lose your mind about that like I am about to do! Try running the same pressure as your main chamber and see what it does.

Also, don't forget there are also compression and rebound adjusters on those forks. I'd be using those for the tracks with the bigger or smaller jumps. Use the pressure settings as a baseline for your body weight and overall speed.

I totally understand the various pressure chambers. 180 / 10 / 190 was recommended for my weight, skill level, and paired with the valving. If i go any higher in the balance without upping the inner, i feel like the fork will start to compress on its own, and thus ride lower.

Do i have my understanding correct? If there is too much rebound damping in the fork, it will take longer for the front wheel to return back to the ground after hitting a bump. This would mean the front wheel would be unloaded. In that case, i'd remove rebound damping and should see more traction.

On the flip side, if the comp is too soft, i could be diving into the harsher mid stroke too soon, forcing the wheel to deflect more often over the small chop.

Is the ideal scenario to have the fork within the first 1/4 of travel in corners? Is there some sort of target suspension tuners aim for?

I may just have to play with the clickers some more.
Motodork
3/28/2016 4:53pm
ML512 wrote:
I am 205 with gear and boots, I ran 160 inner/7.2 outer and 145 balance on my 2015 and my forks worked sweet. The setting I run on my 16 and the 15 are way different to get the same feel.
brimx153
3/28/2016 9:21pm
Falcon wrote:
This could be it. Remember, MORE pressure in the balance chamber = SOFTER during the initial stroke. So if you want to try making the first...

I totally understand the various pressure chambers. 180 / 10 / 190 was recommended for my weight, skill level, and paired with the valving. If i...
I totally understand the various pressure chambers. 180 / 10 / 190 was recommended for my weight, skill level, and paired with the valving. If i go any higher in the balance without upping the inner, i feel like the fork will start to compress on its own, and thus ride lower.

Do i have my understanding correct? If there is too much rebound damping in the fork, it will take longer for the front wheel to return back to the ground after hitting a bump. This would mean the front wheel would be unloaded. In that case, i'd remove rebound damping and should see more traction.

On the flip side, if the comp is too soft, i could be diving into the harsher mid stroke too soon, forcing the wheel to deflect more often over the small chop.

Is the ideal scenario to have the fork within the first 1/4 of travel in corners? Is there some sort of target suspension tuners aim for?

I may just have to play with the clickers some more.
the way i look at it is your comp clickers only affect the first 1/4 of travel. but your rebound clicker s affect ur reb as well as ur mid vavle comp . you are right ,it Is the ideal scenario to have the fork within the first 1/4 of travel in corners. the further you go down in the stroke the quicker the fork will reb .so if your alway s riding in the mid . the bike will feel harsh . in my opinion a bit too much re damping will make you corner better . but will beat the living hell out of you on bumps give you headshake . a bit too quick reb will be nice on bump s but will push like hell in the corners . it depends on the track . see if you bike is knifing or pushing in corners . if its knifing the whole time ,i d say you are to low in the stroke give you all you problems . try the clickers first before changing air presure . standard reb clicks is nearly always very close to right . but i have often gone in 6 clicks or more on comp to make the bike plusher for the first bit of travel proving your spring rate or air rate is right
RussB
Fantasy
986th
3/29/2016 2:19am
From my experience with TAC SFF forks on my RMZ, you need to find the pressure figures yourself and ignore everyone elses.
The pressures changed drastically for me from when the fork was stock to when I had it re-valved, there are too many factors that effect the pressures such as speed, style, track type/speed, preferred fork feel, valving etc.

To get these forks to work, you simply need to test.
Go to the flattest, simplest track you know of and you will be amazed how much you will learn about the fork. A simple track will allow you to concentrate completely on the fork and how it feels.
Set your clickers somewhere neutral and play with pressures first, you don't necessarily need to find the right pressure, but experiment until you understand how the relationship between inner and balance effects the fork action and feel. Take notes and record your findings

I never had any luck with the outer chamber, and prefer to leave it at 0. Pressure in the outer chamber increases fork stiction and will likely be a large cause of the low grip you're suffering due to poor fork sensitivity.

Set your inner pressure simply by placing a zip tie around one fork leg, and find a pressure that uses near full travel without harsh bottom out. Once you've found a pressure that works on a wide range of tracks, record the pressure and never change it again. Use compression/rebound and balance chamber to adjust from then on.

Always adjust the fork in the proper way. COMPLETELY empty the balance chamber, then set the inner, then re set the balance, do this for every single adjustment. Ensure the front wheel is completely off the floor and the fork fully extended.
A Works Connection no loss adapter is a fantastic investment, order one now if you haven't got one already

LoopMyLarry
3/29/2016 10:03am
RussB wrote:
From my experience with TAC SFF forks on my RMZ, you need to find the pressure figures yourself and ignore everyone elses. The pressures changed drastically...
From my experience with TAC SFF forks on my RMZ, you need to find the pressure figures yourself and ignore everyone elses.
The pressures changed drastically for me from when the fork was stock to when I had it re-valved, there are too many factors that effect the pressures such as speed, style, track type/speed, preferred fork feel, valving etc.

To get these forks to work, you simply need to test.
Go to the flattest, simplest track you know of and you will be amazed how much you will learn about the fork. A simple track will allow you to concentrate completely on the fork and how it feels.
Set your clickers somewhere neutral and play with pressures first, you don't necessarily need to find the right pressure, but experiment until you understand how the relationship between inner and balance effects the fork action and feel. Take notes and record your findings

I never had any luck with the outer chamber, and prefer to leave it at 0. Pressure in the outer chamber increases fork stiction and will likely be a large cause of the low grip you're suffering due to poor fork sensitivity.

Set your inner pressure simply by placing a zip tie around one fork leg, and find a pressure that uses near full travel without harsh bottom out. Once you've found a pressure that works on a wide range of tracks, record the pressure and never change it again. Use compression/rebound and balance chamber to adjust from then on.

Always adjust the fork in the proper way. COMPLETELY empty the balance chamber, then set the inner, then re set the balance, do this for every single adjustment. Ensure the front wheel is completely off the floor and the fork fully extended.
A Works Connection no loss adapter is a fantastic investment, order one now if you haven't got one already

Russ,

Interesting note about the outer chamber pressure. I'll have to play with that a bit. I have heard of guys running 0 psi in the outer with good results, however i felt like the fork lost bottoming resistance when i did that. I have not tried to run 0 psi in the outer after getting it revalved so i'll try that out next time at the track.

Great suggestion about the zip tie! I'm definitely going to try that out next time i'm at the track.

I always follow the that pressurization procedure, as well. Balance chamber deflated, wheel off the ground, then fill inner > outer > balance.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
3/29/2016 1:13pm
Russ, Interesting note about the outer chamber pressure. I'll have to play with that a bit. I have heard of guys running 0 psi in the...
Russ,

Interesting note about the outer chamber pressure. I'll have to play with that a bit. I have heard of guys running 0 psi in the outer with good results, however i felt like the fork lost bottoming resistance when i did that. I have not tried to run 0 psi in the outer after getting it revalved so i'll try that out next time at the track.

Great suggestion about the zip tie! I'm definitely going to try that out next time i'm at the track.

I always follow the that pressurization procedure, as well. Balance chamber deflated, wheel off the ground, then fill inner > outer > balance.

If your inner pressure is high (190-200psi+) and you're still experience bottoming with 0psi in the outer, then add oil (5cc at a time) to the damping leg. It will give exactly the same result as adding pressure to the outer chamber, but with no added stiction.

Also, download the Showa SFF AIr Support app on your phone. This is a great tool that uses graphs to illustrate how a change will effect the damping curve of the fork. This takes the guess work out of making changes, allowing you to see what change is best for the desired outcome

Titan1
3/29/2016 1:49pm
This may be slightly off topic, so I apologize to the OP for the hijack....does anyone have any experience with these forks for off road (desert even more specifically)?

I have a 2015 KX450, currently running 140 inner/5 outer/150 balance.

I really like it...but I still find myself deflecting off rocks (like a gnarly rocky section "baby head sections" is what we call them)...the front end just seems busy and unplanted (relative to the KYB SSS forks on my Yamaha at least).

Any thoughts are appreciated....

I don't really worry about bottoming all that much-besides the G-out, or whoop section-so I'm going to try the 0psi in the outer chamber...according to the Showa SFF app, it drastically softens middle to bottom...and if it will reduce the "stiction" in the initial travel...maybe it will help in the rocks?
LoopMyLarry
4/4/2016 10:27am
A little update....

So I tried running the following setting with 0psi in the outer chamber. To get a similar spring feel out of the fork, i had to run much less balance chamber pressure:

Here is how the force graphs look for each profile in the SFF Air app:

(PINK) Previous settings - 180 inner / 10 outer / 190 balance / 320ml Oil
(TEAL) Test 0psi settings - 188 inner / 0 outer / 150 balance / 320ml Oil
(YELLOW) Stock - 145 inner / 7.2 outer / 131 balance / 340ml Oil

As you can see, 0 psi in the outer lends for a more linear spring curve as the expense of bottoming resistance.

With the test settings, i noticed that the fork was noticeably more plush and i had a little more front end traction, but strangely it made the steering feel heavy (does that make sense?). To compensate for the lack of bottoming resistance, i had to slow the compression damping by going 6 clicks out and speed up the rebound damping by going 14 clicks out! I feel like this setup is a trade off because where i gained in cornering, i lost in bottoming resistance, and so i found myself blowing through the stroke on bigger jumps. The track i was at has a high speed downhill section (4th gear on my 450) and i felt like the front end was packing deep into the stroke, even with the clickers set as they were. I think this setting is a step in the right direction, and I'm also thinking about bringing the oil level up to about 380ml to add some bottoming resistance. It would bring the force curve more in line with my recommended 180/10/190 setting without the stiction of pressure in the outer chamber.

Having said all that, I think my green bike is fantastic in most other areas, and the motor is great. But i think i'm at the point where i'm ready to sell this bike and go with a different color that doesn't have air forks. I told myself this when i jumped on a new blue bike and instantly felt faster and more confident.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/4/2016 11:02am
You don't have to sell the bike, you can always get spring forks on your KX450 with a Race Tech Spring Conversion System.

Dirt Rider's Nick Envenou has been putting on of these to the test with an otherwise stock suspension setup: http://www.dirtrider.com/long-haul-update-2016-kawasaki-kx450f

Don't forget to mention VitalMX if you decide to try one out, there is a discount for all Vital members at Race Tech. I can help you with any questions or a quote at chris@racetech.com
RussB
Fantasy
986th
4/4/2016 11:30am
Interesting results.
This might sound backwards, but now you have figured out the IC/BC relationship and got a fork feel you are happier with, try adding air to the outer chamber.
It's clear the cause of your previous problems were mainly from your BC pressure being far too high, and not so much the 10psi outer chamber setting. Your fork was sunk in the travel and not reacting to the terrain, giving the poor feeling in the corners.
You may find you don't need 10psi in the outer anymore, due your latest increased air chamber and compression settings. Start with 5psi and go from there.
If however the outer chamber pressure begins to create harshness, then try adding oil.
LoopMyLarry
4/4/2016 1:51pm
RussB wrote:
Interesting results. This might sound backwards, but now you have figured out the IC/BC relationship and got a fork feel you are happier with, try adding...
Interesting results.
This might sound backwards, but now you have figured out the IC/BC relationship and got a fork feel you are happier with, try adding air to the outer chamber.
It's clear the cause of your previous problems were mainly from your BC pressure being far too high, and not so much the 10psi outer chamber setting. Your fork was sunk in the travel and not reacting to the terrain, giving the poor feeling in the corners.
You may find you don't need 10psi in the outer anymore, due your latest increased air chamber and compression settings. Start with 5psi and go from there.
If however the outer chamber pressure begins to create harshness, then try adding oil.
Russ, I'm not sure that is the case. The fork actually felt more sunk into the travel with the 188/0/150 setting than the 180/10/190 setting. The 188/0/150 setting just overall felt softer, and that is confirmed by the graph above.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
4/5/2016 12:27am
Russ, I'm not sure that is the case. The fork actually felt more sunk into the travel with the 188/0/150 setting than the 180/10/190 setting. The...
Russ, I'm not sure that is the case. The fork actually felt more sunk into the travel with the 188/0/150 setting than the 180/10/190 setting. The 188/0/150 setting just overall felt softer, and that is confirmed by the graph above.
I'm 100% sure it was the case.
The balance chamber works against the inner chamber, having a balance chamber pressure higher than the inner chamber pressure shortens the fork. A high balance chamber + the weight of you and the bike would have had the fork dropped in the travel.

You have added 8psi to the inner, reduced the balance chamber pressure by 40psi and increased compression... all of which stiffen the fork. If you now start to add air back in the outer chamber pressure, you will improve the bottom resistance as well as stiffening the overall feel of the fork.

Also, did the suspension company who did you re valve not give you recommended pressures? It seems odd for a company to tweak the valving and then not give air settings to suit. A good suspension company should be able to provide a valving and setting package that is close, if not spot on to your needs.

Post a reply to: Showa SFF TAC front end traction

The Latest