Showa A kit service question

activeMX
Edited Date/Time 6/19/2014 11:43pm
I have a set of the last generation Showa A kit spring forks and just blew a fork seal.

Anyone know if there is any kind of service manual on these?

I bought the bike from Pro Circuit and they just tell me to bring it in.....yeah right!

|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/12/2014 9:35am
activeMX wrote:
I have a set of the last generation Showa A kit spring forks and just blew a fork seal. Anyone know if there is any kind...
I have a set of the last generation Showa A kit spring forks and just blew a fork seal.

Anyone know if there is any kind of service manual on these?

I bought the bike from Pro Circuit and they just tell me to bring it in.....yeah right!

Bill, email me.
wow123
6/12/2014 9:52am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2014 9:55am
certainly not enough info floating around on these things,

I asked for and exploded diagram, so I compare them with standard stuff.............and got nothing and found nothing boogle searches or threads.

some sorta secret society.
hillbilly
6/12/2014 11:41am
Did you try running a tearoff under the seal lip?

If there isnt a nic in the leg from a rock that actually tore the seal it will be a piece of dirt making it leak.

The tearoff will get that out.
activeMX
6/12/2014 11:50am
hillbilly wrote:
Did you try running a tearoff under the seal lip? If there isnt a nic in the leg from a rock that actually tore the seal...
Did you try running a tearoff under the seal lip?

If there isnt a nic in the leg from a rock that actually tore the seal it will be a piece of dirt making it leak.

The tearoff will get that out.
Well aware of the tear-off/business card trick.

Want to replace the seal and fresh oil though considering the $$$ I spent on these. When will I learn better??!!

The Shop

hillbilly
6/12/2014 12:14pm
Ok,

Then the only worry is the damping rod turning when trying to take the lower bolt out.

I use a impact gun and loosen it first hoping the spring tension will hold it from spinning..If not you can make a tool if you have a welder.
6/12/2014 2:46pm
Loosen the lower adjuster bolt (allow oil to drain) then push bolt out and install holder tool, then remove adjuster completely from cartridge rod, slide down dust seal and remove clip them pop fork leg out of tube, leave upper cap on do not touch,. Clean outer chamber and coils off then install new bushings seals and oil (poor oil in from the bottom) slide hammer the seals in wire ring then dust seal. Next time you loose a seal do the inner time after that outer only. This pays me double on time sheets Smile
6/12/2014 2:48pm
hillbilly wrote:
Ok, Then the only worry is the damping rod turning when trying to take the lower bolt out. I use a impact gun and loosen it...
Ok,

Then the only worry is the damping rod turning when trying to take the lower bolt out.

I use a impact gun and loosen it first hoping the spring tension will hold it from spinning..If not you can make a tool if you have a welder.
That would be a single chamber fork you are referring to not a twin chamber like what is only most bikes after 2004.
hillbilly
6/13/2014 6:47am
hillbilly wrote:
Ok, Then the only worry is the damping rod turning when trying to take the lower bolt out. I use a impact gun and loosen it...
Ok,

That would be a single chamber fork you are referring to not a twin chamber like what is only most bikes after 2004.
Nope,,but that fork is cool that you have a jam nut at the lower bolt and can leave the top cap on.
hillbilly
6/13/2014 7:32am
Wait, I may be thinking of the 85s I use to service.

The 08 crf I raced last ,but can't recall what needed to come apart to just change the seal,I always took them completely apart when doing a service so I could check for fatigue in shims and such.

If you dont have a seal driver you can take the old seal and cut it with wire cutters or similar ,then twist it potato chip style to get it around the leg,if you just speard it open it wont wrap around the leg as tight.

I then use the old seal to tap the new one into place,I've used a small piece of wood and used 1.5 inch pvc cut open to drive against the old seal.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get back on track.
Crush
6/13/2014 7:49am
Hey Hillbilly.

What's the basic set of gear I'd need to get/have to start doing my own suspension servicing? I've done motors, but have stayed away from boingers for fear of bouncy voodoo.

What do I need?
captmoto
6/13/2014 7:54am
I would take it back to them. For the money you paid you should get a complimentary repair. See if they will take you on an appointment basis. I am comfy replacing fork seals but would want to be walked through an A-kit seal job just because it's a high dollar investment.
wow123
6/13/2014 8:43am
Crush wrote:
Hey Hillbilly. What's the basic set of gear I'd need to get/have to start doing my own suspension servicing? I've done motors, but have stayed away...
Hey Hillbilly.

What's the basic set of gear I'd need to get/have to start doing my own suspension servicing? I've done motors, but have stayed away from boingers for fear of bouncy voodoo.

What do I need?
Tools, the right tools or made up ones that do the job.

You'll need to know what size and length the tools need to be, depending on what you are working on.

Forks are not a mystery but do require finesse, and always but always lay them out how they come apart,
where no one can disturb them.

I have been pulling em apart since day 1, well not quite, but I think it was 1977 and my YZ125D

and at one time worked for and Ohlins importer with suspension dynos, but that was some time ago and not at it now.

More info from the current experts would be nice!
Darryl916
6/17/2014 8:14am
Why not Just send them back to PC for an oil change and seal replacement? Why do "shade tree" wrench turning yourself on something so trick? That's like doing a tune-up on a Ferrari yourself.... doesn't make sense to me.

Post a reply to: Showa A kit service question

The Latest